Thread: Zoraya ter Beek: dutch woman chooses euthanasia

Zoraya ter Beek: dutch woman chooses euthanasia

I do not know where this fits, please move or remove if need be.

https://www.ndtv.com/feature/zoraya-...uggles-5363964

"A 28-year-old Dutch woman named Zoraya ter Beek will undergo euthanasia in May due to severe mental health struggles, according to The Free Press. Ter Beek has battled depression, autism, and borderline personality disorder throughout her life. Despite having a loving boyfriend and pets, she feels her mental illness is untreatable.
    Doctors informed Ter Beek there were no further treatment options. This aligns with a growing trend in the Netherlands, where euthanasia is legal. More people are choosing to end their suffering from mental health issues rather than endure them."
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

Yeah there is no cure/treatment for BPD.

I think here you must be of sound mind to make the decision, I guess thats not the case there.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Yeah there is no cure/treatment for BPD.

I think here you must be of sound mind to make the decision, I guess thats not the case there.
    It's only legal here in 10 states and it says:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK525943/
    While laws differ slightly across states, all require that patients requesting physician-assisted death satisfy three criteria: (1) terminal illness through a prognosis of having 6 months or less to live, (2) competence and intact judgment, and (3) voluntariness.

Plenty of people with schizophrenia and other mental illness meet the competence test for trials, so I don't think having mental illness would disqualify you here, although JUST having mental illness wouldn't meet the other criteria.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I don't know how I feel about this. Yes, mental health diagnoses can be debilitating, but she is 28 years old and is otherwise healthy. Very sad.

I'm not sure where my opinion lies on this. I actually feel that a person should be able to do this in times of severe illness or disease or a debilitating condition. But while her mental illnesses are those, I worry about her state of mind due to those mental illnesses. I guess my opinion is circular in nature.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

Just my humble opinion, in this case with her being physically healthy, it seems to me, more like a legal suicide as opposed to a legitimate planned death due to a serious health issue. As I'm fairly certain if she didn't have this option she would just off herself anyway. This just provides a legal and acceptable way out.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by castletonking View Post
    Just my humble opinion, in this case with her being physically healthy, it seems to me, more like a legal suicide as opposed to a legitimate planned death due to a serious health issue. As I'm fairly certain if she didn't have this option she would just off herself anyway. This just provides a legal and acceptable way out.
    I agree.

Borderline Personality Disorder is hell, not only on the person, but for everyone around them. Its definately on a scale, but if its bad, its constant pushing away/love bombing, severe mood swings, sleeping around, creating chaos and drama everywhere they go. I know a Psychiatrist who, had a couple borderline patients that stalked him. He had to call the police.

They are oftenly called "bunny boilers" because they behave like the woman on Fatal Attraction.

I suggest everyone read I Hate You-Dont Leave me. It really is about a fractured personality thats in turmoil.

I feel very bad for borderlines, but they scare the hell out of me. They can be dangerous. *BUT* if they are low on the scale, and find a stable, patient partner, they can lead a normal life.

She needs intense Cognitive Behavior Therapy, the right anti depressant, and better coping skills to deal with their autism.

10% of borderlines kill thems, almost all self harm and have suicidal ideations. So yeah, this chick would have offed herself.

/end rant
    Last edited by Angiebla; 04-05-2024 at 01:28 PM.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Borderline Personality Disorder is hell, not only on the person, but for everyone around them. Its definately on a scale, but if its bad, its constant pushing away/love bombing, severe mood swings, sleeping around, creating chaos and drama everywhere they go. I know a Psychiatrist who, had a couple borderline patients that stalked him. He had to call the police.

They are oftenly called "bunny boilers" because they behave like the woman on Fatal Attraction.

I suggest everyone read I Hate You-Dont Leave me. It really is about a fractured personality thats in turmoil.

I feel very bad for borderlines, but they scare the hell out of me. They can be dangerous. *BUT* if they are low on the scale, and find a stable, patient partner, they can lead a normal life.

She needs intense Cognitive Behavior Therapy, the right anti depressant, and better coping skills to deal with their autism.

10% of borderlines kill thems, almost all self harm and have suicidal ideations. So yeah, this chick would have offed herself.

/end rant

I scare you? I was diagnosed with bpd when I was in my early 30's.
    It definitely wreaks havoc in my life.
    I think if it were not for my sperm donor sexually abusing me when I was a teen, I would be normal.
    I have intrusive thoughts everyday that makes me want to jam a pencil into my ear.
    I'm scared to death that one day I'll turn into the monster my sperm donor is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    I scare you? I was diagnosed with bpd when I was in my early 30's.
    It definitely wreaks havoc in my life.
    I think if it were not for my sperm donor sexually abusing me when I was a teen, I would be normal.
    I have intrusive thoughts everyday that makes me want to jam a pencil into my ear.
    I'm scared to death that one day I'll turn into the monster my sperm donor is.
    With the extreme ones Ive seen and my Psychiatrist friend have had to deal with? Yes they were scary. One threw a brick at me bc she thought I slept with her boyfriend!

Yes childhood trauma causes BPD. But its on a spectrum, and you live a fairly normal life, so I would say you are on the low end.

They make medication that helps with the intrusive thoughts.

Did your dad have BPD?

I didnt mean to attack you, Im only going by what I know. I acknowledged its hell for the BPD sufferer.

So how do you feel about this lady? Do you think shes ok for choosing euthanasia?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I look at it this way. It's their choice and if their disease it causing nothing but suffering for them, they should have the right to die with dignity. Otherwise, they're going to do it anyway and in a manner that isn't dignified and will be much more devastating for the family. I don't understand why mental illness is somehow considered different than other physical ailments. It's just as debilitating and causes just as much pain and suffering and if all other treatments fail to help the individual it's no different than any other disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Thread Information