Thread: Nadia Vitel (52) was allegedly killed by squatters in her mom's Manhattan apartment, and then they placed her body in a duffel bag

Nadia Vitel (52) was allegedly killed by squatters in her mom's Manhattan apartment, and then they placed her body in a duffel bag

https://abcnews.go.com/US/squatters-...y?id=108355132

Two suspected squatters have been taken into custody for questioning after they allegedly killed a woman who walked in on them living in her mother's New York City apartment, police sources told ABC News.

The victim, Nadia Vitel, a 52-year-old woman from Spain, came to the U.S. to prepare her mother's Manhattan apartment for a family friend, sources said. The Kips Bay apartment had been vacant for the last few months after Vitel's mother died, sources said.

When Vitel went inside, she found a man and a woman living there, the sources said.

A struggle ensued, and it appears Vitel was thrown into a sheetrock wall, sources said.

The two suspects then allegedly stole Vitel's Lexus and drove to New Jersey and then Pennsylvania, where they crashed near Harrisburg, sources said.

On March 14, Vitel's worried son, who hadn't heard from his mother in two days, accessed the Kips Bay apartment with the superintendent and other relatives, and found his mom's body, sources said. Vitel's body was in a duffel bag in a closet, with her foot sticking out of the bag, sources said.

Vitel died from blunt force trauma to the head and her death was ruled a homicide, officials said.

Not only are they POS squatters, they are murders too.

Its especially shitty because she was kind enough to go over there to get the place ready for a friend.

The sheer entitlement of these people makes me mad on the internet. RIP Nadia.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

This infuriates me. And what infuriates me even more is, IF she had gone straight to the police when she found the squatters, there would be nothing they could do about it. You have to wait for the court to decide the case and squatters know this. They game the system. It is seriously messed up.

Rest in peace, Nadia...
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    This infuriates me. And what infuriates me even more is, IF she had gone straight to the police when she found the squatters, there would be nothing they could do about it. You have to wait for the court to decide the case and squatters know this. They game the system. It is seriously messed up.

Rest in peace, Nadia...
    Florida just passed a law where squatters can be removed immediately and charged for falsifying a lease and any damage they do. Other states are moving forward with the same thing. It's long overdue.

Agree it's overdue, but how is that going to work though? Who decides they're actually squatters when they're producing false leases, etc? I thought that's why you had to wait for it to go to court, so the paperwork can be validated in front of a judge. Are the police going to have to be cop, judge and jury?
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

Agree it's overdue, but how is that going to work though? Who decides they're actually squatters when they're producing false leases, etc? I thought that's why you had to wait for it to go to court, so the paperwork can be validated in front of a judge. Are the police going to have to be cop, judge and jury?
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/desantis-...184731530.html

The law outlines that squatters will face criminal charges for illegally moving into a home and allows property owners to file an affidavit showing they legally own a property.
    Under the new law, property owners can now call on the sheriff?s office to immediately remove squatters from their homes if the suspects are unable to produce documents authorizing their residency by the property owner.
    The law establishes harsher penalties against those who participate in squatting crimes, including leveling a second-degree felony charge against squatters who damage a home, a first-degree felony charge against those who fraudulently sell or lease a property, and a misdemeanor charge against those who purposefully present a fraudulent lease.
    Essentially I think that the home owner will have to provide an affidavit saying they are squatters and then they can be removed right away. I am sure some owners are going to try to evict actual tenants by lying and saying they aren't actual tenants, and then they will most likely be civilly liable to the tenants.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post

Essentially I think that the home owner will have to provide an affidavit saying they are squatters and then they can be removed right away. I am sure some owners are going to try to evict actual tenants by lying and saying they aren't actual tenants, and then they will most likely be civilly liable to the tenants.
    The law establishes harsher penalties against those who participate in squatting crimes, including leveling a second-degree felony charge against squatters who damage a home, a first-degree felony charge against those who fraudulently sell or lease a property, and a misdemeanor charge against those who purposefully present a fraudulent lease.
    The problem is, these people are producing fake leases with the property owners name and "signature" on it. I think the police would be hard pressed to decide if it's a legitimate lease or not. They can't be expected to analyze handwriting. Also, the law doesn't go far enough: it's only a felony if you sell or lease the property [to someone else], it's merely a misdemeanor to actually squat. So if you're squatting without a middle man, if you create the lease on your own and move into someone's house.... it's just a misdemeanor.

It's a start, but I just don't think it's going to fix the problem, I see too many loopholes.

The problem is, these people are producing fake leases with the property owners name and "signature" on it. I think the police would be hard pressed to decide if it's a legitimate lease or not. They can't be expected to analyze handwriting. Also, the law doesn't go far enough: it's only a felony if you sell or lease the property [to someone else], it's merely a misdemeanor to actually squat. So if you're squatting without a middle man, if you create the lease on your own and move into someone's house.... it's just a misdemeanor.

It's a start, but I just don't think it's going to fix the problem, I see too many loopholes.

I definitely think it's not going to fix all the problems, but I think it will help. From everything I have read, even if they produce a lease with a signature, if the homeowner signs an affidavit saying it is a fake lease the police will immediately remove the person. I'm sure it will be abused, but it's now an available tool for homeowners.

Agree it will help, but I think the law needs some work. Making squatting a felony instead of a misdemeanor for starters. As a seasonal resident in four locations, this is one of my fears.

ETA: And since when is it NOT a felony to break into someone's house and use their property without permission????? I don't understand the "we can't do anything about it" attitude.

Agree it will help, but I think the law needs some work. Making squatting a felony instead of a misdemeanor for starters. As a seasonal resident in four locations, this is one of my fears.

ETA: And since when is it NOT a felony to break into someone's house and use their property without permission????? I don't understand the "we can't do anything about it" attitude.
    Oh, I totally understand. I had a total of 5 rent houses (down from the high point now thank goodness) and every time one was empty I held my breath every time I went over there to check it. During this last fall when I had a rent house empty for almost 4 months due to having to fix it from head to toe after long term tenants moved out and I put it on the sales market, I was very nervous about it. At least there is some kind of protection now for owners and valid renters (who sometimes arrive to find fake tenants in the houses they just legitimately rented) but it does need to be enhanced.

Apparently the two squatters were teenagers. The first article didn't give much detail.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...bag-rcna144685
    Teen squatters arrested after woman found dead in duffel bag in New York City apartment

The teenagers, identified as 19-year-old Halley Tejada and a 16-year-old, were unlawfully occupying the apartment. NBC News does not usually identify minors accused of crimes.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 03-30-2024 at 09:13 AM.

Oh, I totally understand. I had a total of 5 rent houses (down from the high point now thank goodness) and every time one was empty I held my breath every time I went over there to check it. During this last fall when I had a rent house empty for almost 4 months due to having to fix it from head to toe after long term tenants moved out and I put it on the sales market, I was very nervous about it. At least there is some kind of protection now for owners and valid renters (who sometimes arrive to find fake tenants in the houses they just legitimately rented) but it does need to be enhanced.

Apparently the two squatters were teenagers. The first article didn't give much detail.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...bag-rcna144685
    Teen squatters arrested after woman found dead in duffel bag in New York City apartment
    I was going to ask you RBW what would you do if you found a squatter in one of your rental houses?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    This is where resorting to threats isn't necessarily proper, but it can work in situations like this. I have no problem putting a revolver in someone's face and telling them to gtfo or face leaded consequences.

You are in my abode. My place of refuge. My home. The place where my family and I are safe, and you want to threaten that? Yeah, explain that to your god, because I have neither the time nor the patience. I don't want to have to shoot you, but I goddamn for sure will if you even look the wrong way or act entitled in a home you don't pay for.
    And since these inhuman sacks of shit are hellbent on staying, I say just send them to hell straight off and prevent unnecessary issues. Poor Ms. Vitel would be alive today if someone had done something about the shit in her friend's apartment, but now a family mourns her loss, and why? Where is her justice?

How have we come to this? What the fuck? Like, get a fucking job and get your own shit. Don't assume that, because some place is "empty", that you can move in and declare it yours. You can go squat your fucking ass in the woods in a tent, but stay the fuck out of other people's homes.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I was going to ask you RBW what would you do if you found a squatter in one of your rental houses?
    Nowadays just call the police and have them removed. Before, I would probably try to negotiate to pay them to leave because it's usually cheaper and faster than taking them to court. It sucks, but it was one way to try to get squatters out in the past.

Nowadays just call the police and have them removed. Before, I would probably try to negotiate to pay them to leave because it's usually cheaper and faster than taking them to court. It sucks, but it was one way to try to get squatters out in the past.
    Makes sense. Thats what I would do.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I wonder why they have yet to release the names of the squatters?

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    I wonder why they have yet to release the names of the squatters?
    They did for one, but the other one is a minor. From the link above:

The teenagers, identified as 19-year-old Halley Tejada and a 16-year-old, were unlawfully occupying the apartment. NBC News does not usually identify minors accused of crimes.

Im surprised they didnt kill her, hide the body, and stay in the apartment.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Im surprised they didnt kill her, hide the body, and stay in the apartment.
    This is what I was thinking, although I'm sure that they knew that someone would come looking for her there eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Thread Information