Thread: Maryland bridge collapse: Rescue underway after Francis Scott Key bridge hit by cargo ship

Maryland bridge collapse: Rescue underway after Francis Scott Key bridge hit by cargo ship

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/video-...n-207678533914

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ore-rcna145047

"Rescue teams are looking for at least 7 people after the Key Bridge collapse, Baltimore City Fire Department Chief James Wallace has said in a briefing with reporters.

Wallace said it's a "dynamic count" that they have not nailed down yet, as the search and rescue operation continues.

Two people were rescued after the collapse, Wallace said, with one in serious condition."
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I tried to follow this story on the twitter. I had to stop, the stupid was getting in the way of the actual details.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

Ugh, that's terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Damn that bridge is decimated. I really hope they find the people, but Im not optomistic about it.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Damn that bridge is decimated. I really hope they find the people, but Im not optomistic about it.
    The divers will find them eventually. This is just like the 1980 Sunshine Skyway Bridge Collapse.

https://www.wfla.com/news/hillsborou...ridge-tragedy/

Baltimore’s Key Bridge collapse brings back memories of Sunshine Skyway Bridge tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    The divers will find them eventually. This is just like the 1980 Sunshine Skyway Bridge Collapse.

Baltimore’s Key Bridge collapse brings back memories of Sunshine Skyway Bridge tragedy
    Sorry I meant to say find them alive.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2024/03...governor-says/

"BALTIMORE (AP) — The operators of a cargo ship lost power and issued a mayday call moments before the vessel crashed into a Baltimore bridge, allowing authorities to limit vehicle traffic on the span, Maryland’s governor said Tuesday."

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/bal...hnk/index.html

5 vehicles submerged in water have been found, Baltimore fire chief says

Authorities have been able to find three passenger vehicles, a cement truck and a fifth vehicle submerged in the water using infrared and side-scan sonar technology, Baltimore City Fire Chief James Wallace told CNN.

Up to eight dive teams were in the water performing search and rescue operations, he said, noting he’s unsure if the fifth car is a passenger or work vehicle.

Six people remain missing: Maryland Transportation Secretary Paul Wiedefeld confirmed eight people were on the bridge at the time of the collapse. At least two people have already been rescued — one is in the hospital, the other is fine. The search continues for the other six.

Wow Im surprised anyone survived.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I just saw that they have pulled one body from the water. I cannot imagine how terrifying it had to have been for those involved.

https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/ne...accounted-for/

The search continues for six construction workers following a collapse at Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge after it was struck by a cargo ship Tuesday morning. They were working for Brawner Builders, filling potholes on the center span of the bridge, at the time of the collapse.

The missing men are from El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Mexico, and were living in Dundalk and Highlandtown, according to our media partners at The Baltimore Banner.

The missing men are from El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras & Mexico, and live in Dundalk & Highlandtown. They are in their 30s and 40s, he said, w spouses & children.
    All of them came to the city for a better life.
    “They are all hard-working, humble men" https://t.co/y2YjBBh9OD

Do we know what happened to the dummy driving the ship?

ETA: Im the dummy.
    Last edited by Angiebla; 03-26-2024 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Do we know what happened to the dummy driving the ship?
    The ship lost power, and they issued an immediate mayday and dropped anchor immediately. They did everything they were supposed to do it sounds like, in the face of a horrible accident occurring from something beyond their control. With no power the ship can't be steered properly, and it doesn't stop on a dime.

The ship lost power, and they issued an immediate mayday and dropped anchor immediately. They did everything they were supposed to do it sounds like, in the face of a horrible accident occurring from something beyond their control. With no power the ship can't be steered properly, and it doesn't stop on a dime.
    Ok now I feel bad. I guess it was a terrible accident, but it looks like the bridge hits the front of the ship, so I was wondering how the passangers were doing.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/baltimore-...y?id=108535622

Baltimore Key Bridge collapse: Dad of 3 who lived in Maryland for 19 years among the 6 presumed dead

Among the six missing is construction worker Miguel Luna, who is originally from El Salvador, according to Court Appointed Special Advocates, a group that works with immigrants.

Luna "is a husband, a father of three, and has called Maryland his home for over 19 years," the organization said in a press release.

He "left at 6:30 p.m. Monday evening for work and since, has not come home," the organization said.

Two missing workers are from Guatemala: a 26-year-old from San Luis, Pet?n, and a 35-year-old from Camot?n, Chiquimula, the country's foreign ministry said. Their names were not released.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/baltimore-...y?id=108510008

Officials stopped traffic onto Baltimore Key Bridge before collapse: 'These people are heroes'

Officials were able to stop the flow of traffic onto the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore before a massive cargo ship crashed into a support column, helping to save lives in the disaster, Maryland Gov. Wes Moore said.

The container ship Dali issued a mayday call as it approached the 1.6-mile-long bridge at about eight knots, a "very rapid speed," Moore said. Following that notification, officials were able to prevent more cars from going onto the bridge before the collapse, he said.

"These people are heroes," Moore told reporters during a press briefing on Tuesday. "They saved lives last night."

After personnel on the ship alerted the Maryland Department of Transportation that they lost control of the vessel, local authorities were able to close the bridge before it was struck, "which undoubtedly saved lives," President Joe Biden said Tuesday during remarks on the disaster.

Why was the ship going at a very rapid speed?
    I bet it's going to take years to remove the ship and rebuild the bridge speaking from personal experience.
    I hope they find the six crew members asap.
    I guess by now some of them floated downstream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Why was the ship going at a very rapid speed?
    I bet it's going to take years to remove the ship and rebuild the bridge speaking from personal experience.
    I hope they find the six crew members asap.
    I guess by now some of them floated downstream.
    If it was over the 'speed limit' in that area I am sure they will nail them. They came in at 1:45am in the morning and there was no other boat traffic in sight, so it may or may not have been out of the normal speed limit to be going that fast in the area. I have seen that they think it's definitely going to affect imports (Baltimore is a large port and it's pretty much blocked) and prices on imported things.

I can't even watch the video footage anymore, it's making me anxious. This validates one of my [many] irrational fears. We travel over this bridge all the time and like all bridges, I hate it. I have recurring nightmares about this very thing.

Baltimore?s Key Bridge collapse brings back memories of Sunshine Skyway Bridge tragedy
    First thing I thought of. Sunshine Skyway Bridge triggered me too. Couldn't stop thinking about it.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

If it was over the 'speed limit' in that area I am sure they will nail them. They came in at 1:45am in the morning and there was no other boat traffic in sight, so it may or may not have been out of the normal speed limit to be going that fast in the area. I have seen that they think it's definitely going to affect imports (Baltimore is a large port and it's pretty much blocked) and prices on imported things.
    I don't understand, but I kind of understand why a construction crew was out late at night.
    Also, the price hike from this is going to hurt all of us except for the rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    I don't understand, but I kind of understand why a construction crew was out late at night.
    It's super common around here to do road construction at night. Reduced traffic, especially if they need to shut down a lane.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Do you know what type of products they think will cost more because of this? Most imports we purchase here come from Asia and those items are shipped into California.....Oakland, Los Angeles & Long Beach.

Thread Information