Thread: Paul Alexander (78) lived life inside Iron Lung, passed from Covid

Paul Alexander (78) lived life inside Iron Lung, passed from Covid

Sad but interesting. Paul Alexander contracted polio as a child and lived 70 years inside an iron lung. Despite all this, he became both an author and lawyer. I had no idea people still were living in iron lungs.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...151539158.html

Paul Alexander, known as "The Man in the Iron Lung," passed away at 78 after living over 70 years in the apparatus. His death was confirmed by a healthcare fundraiser organizer. Alexander, who was paralyzed by polio at age six, accomplished remarkable feats, including becoming a lawyer and author.

Despite his physical limitations, he advocated for disability rights. Outliving his family and his original iron lung, Alexander's resilience inspired many. He formed significant relationships and left a lasting legacy of courage and determination.
    Paul Alexander, the man who lived in an iron lung for over 70 years, has passed away at 78 from COVID-19, according to a report by the EveningStandard.

In a heartfelt message on Alexander's GoFundMe page, Christopher Ulmer, a disability-rights activist and organizer, announced his passing by writing: "Paul Alexander, "The Man in the Iron Lung" has passed away.

Ulmer praised Alexander's resilience, highlighting his remarkable journey from surviving polio to living over 70 years inside the iron lung.

Despite his physical challenges, Alexander accomplished extraordinary feats, including becoming a lawyer, author, and inspirational figure whose story touched lives worldwide.
    Paralyzed from the neck down since contracting polio at age six in 1952, Alexander was one of the last people who relied on the iron lung to breathe, but despite his physical limitations, Alexander's determination led him to achieve notable milestones, such as graduating high school without ever attending a physical class and pursuing higher education at Southern Methodist University in Dallas and then law school at the University of Texas, Austin.

The Texas native achieved his dream of becoming a trial lawyer and represented his clients in court, donning a tailored three-piece suit while seated in a specially adapted wheelchair that supported his paralyzed frame in an upright position.

He also advocated for disability rights and chronicled his experiences in a memoir, "Three Minutes for a Dog: My Life in an Iron Lung," which he painstakingly wrote over five years using a pen attached to a stick held in his mouth.

From what I understand of iron lungs, you have to live in them. How was he able to go to court?

Im glad he didnt let being paralyzed get him down.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I have never even heard of this iron lung thing. That is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    From what I understand of iron lungs, you have to live in them. How was he able to go to court?

Im glad he didnt let being paralyzed get him down.
    From the article: The Texas native achieved his dream of becoming a trial lawyer and represented his clients in court, donning a tailored three-piece suit while seated in a specially adapted wheelchair that supported his paralyzed frame in an upright position.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    I have never even heard of this iron lung thing. That is crazy.
    Read up on it, because if the anti vaxxers have their way we are going to be going back down that path again. We pretty much wiped out polio, but it's making a comeback thanks to them.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Read up on it, because if the anti vaxxers have their way we are going to be going back down that path again. We pretty much wiped out polio, but it's making a comeback thanks to them.
    Agree 100%. Once eradicated diseases, such as polio, tuberculosis, mumps, measles, etc., are coming back because of them.

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    I didn't realize there were any iron lungs still in use.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

I have a couple thoughts.

One: it's sad that he is gone. He lived his life the best he could. I always admired him. I only knew of him because my friend's son did a project on him years ago.
    And two:
    CNN could've done so much better than calling him 'Polio Paul' in their headline.
    https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/13/healt...ung/index.html
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post

One: it's sad that he is gone. He lived his life the best he could. I always admired him. I only knew of him because my friend's son did a project on him years ago.
    And two:
    CNN could've done so much better than calling him 'Polio Paul' in their headline.
    Seriously with that headline? Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by jennafyre View Post
    From the article: The Texas native achieved his dream of becoming a trial lawyer and represented his clients in court, donning a tailored three-piece suit while seated in a specially adapted wheelchair that supported his paralyzed frame in an upright position.
    I saw that, but how did he breathe without the machine?

So sad he passed from Covid.

Also I hate Jenny McCarthy and stupid anti vaxxers.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I saw that, but how did he breathe without the machine?

So sad he passed from Covid.
    I believe he was initially hospitalized for COVID a few weeks ago, but they are not saying that was the cause.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    He learned how to breathe for small periods and increased that time over his life to be able to function for a while outside of the iron lung. It's a travesty that COVID is what took him out after the odds he's had to defy:

When he was 8, Mr. Alexander learned to breathe on his own for up to three minutes by gulping in air “like a fish” and swallowing it into his lungs, he told The Dallas Morning News.

Mr. Alexander told the newspaper that he was motivated to learn to breathe by a caregiver who offered him a puppy if he tried to learn to breathe on his own. He got his puppy, and it later became the inspiration for the title of his book, “Three Minutes for a Dog.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/13/u...Morning%20News.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post

And two:
    I feel like CNN probably only did it for clicks. He named himself Polio Paul for Tiktok so users would only know him by that name. A whole generation of people who wouldn't know Paul Alexander or polio or an iron lung...I am feeling more and more like I am embracing my "get off my lawn" age.

Quote Originally Posted by jennafyre View Post
    I feel like CNN probably only did it for clicks. He named himself Polio Paul for Tiktok so users would only know him by that name. A whole generation of people who wouldn't know Paul Alexander or polio or an iron lung...I am feeling more and more like I am embracing my "get off my lawn" age.
    I'm there too. I need a good stick to shake at those youngsters with their damn rock and roll music and why the hell don't the girls cover up and the boys put on a damn belt....
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

Yessssss those damned baggy pants!!

*Tried to rep you but I have to spread my stuff around.

Thread Information