Thread: Female driver with brain bleed held at gun point, arrested

Female driver with brain bleed held at gun point, arrested

https://nypost.com/2024/02/12/news/f...d-at-gunpoint/

A female driver who crashed while suffering a life-threatening brain bleed was arrested at gunpoint and accused of being drunk or on drugs ? then allegedly mocked and ignored by jail staff as she lay on the ground, unable to move for 24 hours, according to a lawsuit.

Nicole McClure, 40, is suing the Washington State Troopers and Thurston County Jail, accusing staff of ignoring her symptoms and depriving her of medical care as her condition worsened in March 2022.

She eventually needed to have part of her skull removed to relieve pressure building inside her brain from a frontal-lobe subdural hematoma, according to the Seattle Times.

?Nicole is a hardworking young woman who will never be the same again,? said her attorney, Anne Vankirk.

?Nicole suffers from severe traumatic brain injury and remains unable to care for herself or engage with life in meaningful ways.

00:00

00:00

?Had Nicole received immediate medical attention, her condition would have been significantly easier to treat and the outcome far less severe.?

McClure had left her work early on March 21, 2022, complaining of a headache and dizziness on March 21, 2022, according to the civil rights suit filed in Tacoma on Feb. 1.

Dashcam footage shows Barnes slamming McClure on the hood of his vehicle.
    Dashcam footage caught Washington State Trooper Jonathan Barnes arresting Nicole McClure on March 21, 2022.
    Dubin Law Group
    State Trooper Jonathan Barnes spotted her driving at around 25 mph in a 40-mph zone while she also weaved in and out of her lane before she crashed into a roundabout, according to the report

Dashcam footage shows the trooper running up to her car with his gun drawn, screaming, ?Get out of the car! Get out of the car now!?

He accuses her of resisting arrest ? which she repeatedly denies in a dazed-sounding tone ? then pushes her against the hood of her car to handcuff her, even accusing her of planning to use her keys as a weapon.

Dashcam footage shows Barnes approaching the vehicle with his gun drawn.
    Barnes approached McClure?s wrecked vehicle with his gun drawn as he ordered her to come out with her hands up.
    Dubin Law Group
    ?I didn?t know I was being pulled over,? she tells the trooper in a dazed-sounding tone.

?I?m not feeling real well,? she tells Barnes and a colleague. ?Please don?t arrest me.?

After reading McClure her rights, Barnes asks: ?How much alcohol have you had tonight? When was the last time you had any??

When she denies drinking, he asks: ?Ma?am, when was the last time you used meth? ? What about heroin??

Barnes is seen arresting McClure.
    Barnes arrested McClure on suspicion of intoxicated driving and felony evading.
    Dubin Law Group
    ?I haven?t? I don?t,? McClure responds, saying she is ?confused,? ?dizzy? and ?really tired.?

Not believing her, the trooper informs her she is also being arrested for DUI, saying: ?Everything you?re telling me is you?re under the influence.?

?No, I?m just really tired,? McClure continues to insist.

Barnes then proceeded to arrest her on suspicion of intoxicated driving and felony evading, noting in his probable cause affidavit that McClure had bloodshot eyes, a flushed face and her speech was repetitive, according to The Olympian.

Keep up with today's most important news

Stay up on the very latest with Evening Update.

Enter your email address

By clicking above you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
    But he never tested her for drugs or alcohol on the scene and did not call medics, even though her car was wrecked in the crash. In his written report, he struck out a section detailing medical questions, writing instead: ?Did not ask.?

Barnes brought McClure to a nearby hospital to conduct blood tests for alcohol and drugs, which all came back negative, according to the suit.

McClure was then transported to the county jail, where guards mocked her, her suit alleges.

?Nicole recalls being laughed at and told she should ?Have another shot,?? Vankirk said.

McClure is pictured.
    McClure claims she now suffers from irreparable brain damage.
    Dubin Law Group
    ?She was left with a notably deteriorating condition, and continuing to ask for help,? Vankirk said.

?She was found in a puddle of her own urine almost a full day later.?

Two jail staff eventually helped McClure onto a cot in her cell after they realized she was unable to stand, according to the lawsuit.

Then, when she began ?vomiting uncontrollably,? McClure was moved to another cell and was ?forcibly changed? out of her clothes.

?A few hours later, a member of the jail?s medical team was called and they advised that she be taken to the hospital immediately,? the lawsuit says.

There, McClure underwent emergency brain surgery and had a large piece of her skull removed to relieve pressure on her brain and ?save her remaining brain function,? according to Vankirk, who said she spent 17 days in the hospital.

McClure is pictured in the hospital.
    She underwent emergency brain surgery and had a large piece of her skull removed to relieve pressure on her brain and ?save her remaining brain function,? her lawyer says.
    Dubin Law Group
    The Thurston County Prosecuting Attorney?s Office confirmed it has received the lawsuit.

?While we can?t discuss the specifics of any pending litigation, I can confirm that the safety of inmates, staff and the general public remains a top priority for the Thurston County Corrections Facility,? spokeswoman Tara Tsehlana said in a statement.

Chris Loftis, director of communications for the Washington State Patrol, declined to answer any questions, saying the agency would not comment as a ?matter of practice and policy,?

But he told the Seattle Times Barnes was not disciplined in the aftermath of the arrest, noting that at the time, pointing a gun at someone was not considered a use of force.

The policy changed later that year, he said.
    Last edited by Angiebla; 02-12-2024 at 01:22 PM.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Wow, this is so wrong. Bless her heart.

So fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I really hope she wins the lawsuit.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    If only the cops put even half as much effort in to solving actual crimes as they do in to beating the fuck out of people, imagine how much more would get done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    If only the cops put even half as much effort in to solving actual crimes as they do in to beating the fuck out of people, imagine how much more would get done.
    I hate to agree with you, but I am with you on this. There are some good law enforcement officers out there, but it is stories like this and others that really highlight we have a significant issue in our country.

If she had a frontal lobe subdural hematoma she must have hit her head at some point right?

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    If she had a frontal lobe subdural hematoma she must have hit her head at some point right?
    Quite possibly, yes.

Thread Information