Thread: Naoko Takemaru (69), Patricia Navarro-Velez (39), & Cha-Jan 'Jerry' Chang (64) murdered in mass shooting on UNLV campus

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar

Naoko Takemaru (69), Patricia Navarro-Velez (39), & Cha-Jan 'Jerry' Chang (64) murdered in mass shooting on UNLV campus

It's my understanding that this guy applied for a position at the school and was denied. All of the victims were staff members so it seems to be targeted. I read that no students were involved.

A gunman opened fire on the campus of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, on Wednesday, killing three people and wounding a fourth before being shot dead by police.

The suspect has not been named but according to law enforcement sources is a man in his 60s. He began shooting on the fourth floor of Beam Hall, a building on campus, Las Vegas Police Sheriff Kevin McMahill said. The suspect continued to ?multiple floors,? McMahill said, before he was ?neutralized? outside the building.

The person wounded in the shootings was initially listed in critical condition at a hospital but police later said they were stable.

University police responded to calls of shots fired around 11:45 a.m. local time (2:45 p.m. ET). Two university police detectives ?immediately engaged the suspect in a shootout? that resulted in the gunman?s death, University Police Chief Adam Garcia said.

Students were gathered just outside Beam Hall ?playing games and eating food? at the time of the shooting, McMahill said. Tables were set up outside for them to ?build Legos.? Several students described hearing gunshots and running for safety.

?If it hadn?t been for the heroic actions of one of those police officers who responded, there could have been countless additional lives taken,? McMahill said, adding that ?armed confrontation of the suspect by law enforcement stopped the suspect?s further actions.?

University President Keith. E. Whitfield in a statement called the shooting ?unfathomable.?

Students late Wednesday were allowed to return to campus housing. Whitfield said all classes and academic and performing arts activities will be canceled through Sunday. An evaluation will be made over whether to resume activities next week, Whitfield said.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...tes-rcna128402

Multiple law enforcement sources tell ABC News the deceased suspect in the University of Nevada, Las Vegas shooting is Anthony Polito, 67.

Polito, the sources say, had applied for a college professorship at UNLV, but was not hired. He has ties to North Carolina and Georgia, where he previously worked as a college professor.

Polito was armed with a handgun during Wednesday's attack. Police say he was killed in a shootout with two police detectives who responded to the active shooting scene.

Detectives have been working into the night and plan on continuing their investigation through the overnight hours.

A law enforcement official briefed on the probe said one apartment in Henderson, Nevada -- believed to be the shooter?s home -- is currently being searched. Detectives have also retrieved the suspect?s phone and are now feverishly examining its contents for clues about what motivated the killer to mount his alleged attack Wednesday.

Police are also combing his professional writings to determine whether something in those texts could shed light on the events that occurred on the UNLV campus.

Investigators have now determined that the victims killed were not students, but faculty or staff. That suggests to detectives that the rampage may not have been random, but may have been an attack that targeted certain people because of some sort of previous relationship or interactions.

According to preliminary investigative information, the gunman fired on police, which is what led them to shoot him.
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/unlv-suspe...y?id=105448262

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I am so sick of this happening.

I just went to my HR department yesterday out of fear that my co-worker's going to do something similar. Sadly, it's not just him that I worry about. Stress levels have gotten so bad amongst the workers and upper-level management that I keep a golf club under my desk to protect myself and have sought out places to hide if he, another co-worker or some pissed off outsider decides to pop off. It's sad we've gotten to this point in our society.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilzAdvocate View Post
    I just went to my HR department yesterday out of fear that my co-worker's going to do something similar. Sadly, it's not just him that I worry about. Stress levels have gotten so bad amongst the workers and upper-level management that I keep a golf club under my desk to protect myself and have sought out places to hide if he, another co-worker or some pissed off outsider decides to pop off. It's sad we've gotten to this point in our society.
    I'm just so sad that you guys have to live with that kind of fear constantly. My friend's daughter had exams at the college yesterday, but thankfully hadn't headed to campus yet. People keep defending open and available gun laws. I wonder how those people feel after losing a child or family member.

He was definately targeting staff, or there would be a higher body count.

Hes not getting the job now

Im sorry DA that you live in fear everyday.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

How terrible, DA. I am so sorry you have to work in fear like that. What a horrible world we live in.

How did HR respond?

I used to work with a girl who had an unstable boyfriend and we were all worried he was going to come in with a gun one day. We had devised hiding places and plans.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    How did HR respond?

I used to work with a girl who had an unstable boyfriend and we were all worried he was going to come in with a gun one day. We had devised hiding places and plans.
    People here look at me as if I'm over exaggerating when I tell them that in the U.S. no matter where I went I would check where all of the exits were and hiding places in case of a shooting. With grocery stores, my plan was always to run in back and find the cooler or loading dock. They think I'm insane. Old habits die hard because when I took the job at the petrol station, the first things I located were where the panic buttons are (they don't work anyway lol) and items that I could use as a weapon if I have to. I've decided on the mega huge fire extinguishers because you can either spray them in the face or beam it off their head. We thankfully don't have guns as a norm here so that will work with someone that has a knife.

They think I'm insane and don't believe me.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/06/us/un...day/index.html

Anthony Polito, the gunman authorities said killed three people Wednesday at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, visited a post office in Henderson and mailed 22 letters to various university personnel across the country with no return address, according to Las Vegas Sheriff Kevin McMahill.

At least one contained a white, powdery substance, he said at a Thursday news conference.

McMahill said investigators are working with the postal inspector and federal partners to process the letters. McMahill indicated they are working to contact the recipients.

Detectives are continuing to process the envelopes and are asking “anyone in the education world” who receives a letter with no return address to “proceed with caution,” McMahill said.

The gunman, who died in a confrontation with police, was a 67-year-old career college professor whose online profile paints a picture of a man fascinated by Vegas, puzzles and conspiracy theories.

He's a whackadoodle.

Privileged old white man couldn't take rejection.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ors-rcna128840

Naoko Takemaru was an artistic “triple threat” who inspired her students in Japanese language and her colleagues with her spirit. Patricia Navarro-Velez was an accounting expert with a larger-than-life personality. And Jerry Chan loved research so much that he had decided to donate his body to science.

That was how friends and colleagues at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, remembered the three faculty members fatally shot by a gunman Wednesday in an attack on the campus.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ent-rcna128841

The man who fatally shot three people last week at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, had resigned from another school, despite having tenure, after a female student accused him of making a sexual comment about her appearance.

Kristin Marshburn said she was sitting in the front row of Anthony Polito's business course at East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina, in 2016 when he walked in and made the remark.

"He said to me that if I wore a shirt that low cut for the rest of the semester, I?d be sure to get an A," Marshburn, now 28, told NBC News.

Marshburn, of Wilmington, North Carolina, said she was shocked by the "bold comment," as were some of the roughly 35 other students, mostly men, in Polito's supply chain management course that fall.

"I remember their faces just being appalled," she said. "They looked sad for me."

Marshburn said she reported the incident to the business school?s dean that day. Months later, in January 2017, Polito resigned from his tenured associate professor position after having worked at ECU since 2001 in the marketing and supply chain management department, the university said.

It is unclear whether his exit was connected in any way to the comment he made to Marshburn midway through the fall semester of her junior year. Polito never returned to class after Marshburn reported him, she said.
    Polito, 67, had a "target list," containing names of faculty members at UNLV and ECU, Las Vegas Metro Police Department Sheriff Kevin McMahill said last week.

On Dec. 6, Polito killed three faculty members at UNLV, where he applied for a teaching job in 2020 but was not hired, authorities said.

Polito also wounded a visiting professor, although none of the victims were on his hit list, police said. A specific motive for the attack is unknown.

Authorities said Polito had applied for multiple jobs within the Nevada higher education system but was denied each time.

He was struggling financially, evident by an eviction notice posted on the front door of the apartment, police said.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Even more of a POS than we originally thought.

He sounds like he had nothing to lose, broke and facing eviction. He was like an animal that was backed into a corner.

Isnt it really hard to fire a tenure professor, even if they say dumb shit?

He *could* have applied for a lower paying job. I havent seen a family or wife that he has to support. I think his whole identity was tied to being a college professor, and when he didnt get those jobs, he flipped.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    He sounds like he had nothing to lose, broke and facing eviction. He was like an animal that was backed into a corner.

He *could* have applied for a lower paying job. I havent seen a family or wife that he has to support. I think his whole identity was tied to being a college professor, and when he didnt get those jobs, he flipped.
    They definitely had something on him in order for him to leave. He was in the University of North Carolina system, which protects their faculty once they achieve tenure.

It's hard to fire them, but the administration can make your life so miserable that you beg them to let you quit. And a lot of places are cracking down on good ol boys who are used to saying sketchy things to students. As they should be. Or the other thing they do is promote you to an administrative position, where you serve "at the pleasure of the president" and then you can be out the door in a heartbeat. It's not easy to find a position in the academic world unless you already have a good one and are perceived as an up-and-coming person. Get pushed out in disgrace and you are doomed to go teach high school or something even worse.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    It's hard to fire them, but the administration can make your life so miserable that you beg them to let you quit. And a lot of places are cracking down on good ol boys who are used to saying sketchy things to students. As they should be. Or the other thing they do is promote you to an administrative position, where you serve "at the pleasure of the president" and then you can be out the door in a heartbeat. It's not easy to find a position in the academic world unless you already have a good one and are perceived as an up-and-coming person. Get pushed out in disgrace and you are doomed to go teach high school or something even worse.
    See thats why Im surprised he didnt take his anger out at the school that fired him.

See thats why Im surprised he didnt take his anger out at the school that fired him.
    See my post a bit up.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

What a fucking creep. I'm glad that all he had was a handgun because if he had had an AR-15 that day, I think that those numbers would have been WAY higher.

Thread Information