View Poll Results: What format should the MDS/new board be?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Reddit

4 40.00%
  • Facebook

1 10.00%
  • Stay on forum and pay a monthly subscription to keep it going

4 40.00%
  • Something else

1 10.00%

Thread: New MDS board options

New MDS board options

In light of the recent discussion about MDS possibly closing, I would be interested in hearing everyone's opinion on a new format.

As it stands, the costs of the board are over $100 per month. It's possible that there is someone here that can afford the upkeep if no one pays dues, and is willing to take on the ownership, but I have not found anyone that can cover both sides of that coin yet. In light of that, I am interested in seeing what everyone's opinion is on where we go from here. It's possible, but I can't speak for Mike and/or J, that they would keep it going in the current format if the monthly subscription was covered, but there are still the on-going board issues to deal with.

Please answer the poll, and if your option is "something else", please let us know what that something else is.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 06-16-2023 at 09:48 AM.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Facebook isn't going to work because there's already an MDS group/page on there and plus, we want to stay anonymous.

Ideally, finding a new cheaper home and transferring history or archiving history to refer to would be ideal. However if it comes down to it we could do the Reddit thing as it keeps is anonymous and open to the public to comment etc. If we do that we should look in to how to archive and access the history ie posting URLs to the threads etc. Just not being able to interact on the site that they're sitting on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Facebook isn't going to work because there's already an MDS group/page on there and plus, we want to stay anonymous.

Ideally, finding a new cheaper home and transferring history or archiving history to refer to would be ideal. However if it comes down to it we could do the Reddit thing as it keeps is anonymous and open to the public to comment etc. If we do that we should look in to how to archive and access the history ie posting URLs to the threads etc. Just not being able to interact on the site that they're sitting on.
    I only voted facebook because I am familiar with how that works. No idea about reddit. I guess my old ass can learn

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I say RIP, boards been dead for a long time plus I already paid for a membership along time ago.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

Yep this but i want to interact

I selected stay with the boards but pay a monthly fee. My hubs says this is my hobby so he doesnt mind paying it. I HATE change.

If thats not an option, I choose reddit bc I like them any way and know how to navigate it pretty good. Would it be an open or closed community?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I selected stay with the boards but pay a monthly fee. My hubs says this is my hobby so he doesnt mind paying it. I HATE change.

If thats not an option, I choose reddit bc I like them any way and know how to navigate it pretty good. Would it be an open or closed community?
    It's not even so much the cost, it's the liability of ownership and being responsible for it if no one else steps up to pay or if someone sues.

BWS and I have talked about a possible open and closed community, but I'm not super familiar with Reddit so I would have to defer to her.

Also, I'm so glad I made a poll. This is so helpful.

All of you lurkers, jump in and vote and let us know what you think. I see everyone who reads this poll, so I know who is reading and not replying, lol.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 06-16-2023 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    It's not even so much the cost, it's the liability of ownership and being responsible for it if no one else steps up to pay or if someone sues.

BWS and I have talked about a possible open and closed community, but I'm not super familiar with Reddit so I would have to defer to her.

Also, I'm so glad I made a poll. This is so helpful.

All of you lurkers, jump in and vote and let us know what you think. I see everyone who reads this poll, so I know who is reading and not replying, lol.
    I'd go with Reddit as the best of some bad options. Sadly we'll never get back to the glory days when myspace teens had wide-open profiles... but i'd miss this place and you people!
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I said Reddit before but now with the third party drama going on Reddit, it?s predicted to go down a lot. Some subs already went dark indefinitely in protest.

Quote Originally Posted by of_corpse_not View Post
    I said Reddit before but now with the third party drama going on Reddit, it?s predicted to go down a lot. Some subs already went dark indefinitely in protest.
    I saw stories on that yesterday. I don't know what to think. I'm so not up on all things Reddit.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I saw stories on that yesterday. I don't know what to think. I'm so not up on all things Reddit.
    I think it's a bump in the road for Reddit. I don't believe it'll do long-term damage. But then again, I didn't thing the "Muskification" of Twitter would be a big deal.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I think it's a bump in the road for Reddit. I don't believe it'll do long-term damage. But then again, I didn't thing the "Muskification" of Twitter would be a big deal.
    I absolutely hate the official Reddit app. I have always used BaconReader to access Reddit. It?s a very simple layout so when I?m forced to use the official app, I probably won?t be on Reddit as much.

Quote Originally Posted by of_corpse_not View Post
    I absolutely hate the official Reddit app. I have always used BaconReader to access Reddit. It?s a very simple layout so when I?m forced to use the official app, I probably won?t be on Reddit as much.
    I do 99% of my computing on a desktop, so apps? What dat?

If it's a case of nobody wanting ownership, I don't mind being the target for that. The liability is not as high as you would think as I've read up on it. The worst anyone can do is send a cease and desist in which case you hide the thread or delete it/delete posts. It's not as easy as you think to sue for libel/defamation. The fact that I'm not in America also helps.

My only issue is not being able to afford to pay that much right now until the truck gets going. I'm literally making 27K per year before Irish taxes which is about 20% of my pay so..... I'm bringing home less than 2K per month to cover my credit card payments, bills and food/vet costs.

I mean, even if we somehow can pay Mike for a couple of months to buy us some time to do a deeper dive, that would be good. I know that there has to be a cheaper and easier way to keep this board going.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I do 99% of my computing on a desktop, so apps? What dat?
    Right.

I mean, even if we somehow can pay Mike for a couple of months to buy us some time to do a deeper dive, that would be good. I know that there has to be a cheaper and easier way to keep this board going.
    I haven't heard anything further, so lets just keep looking and investigating until he gets back with us again.

I have to leave soon and will be busy all day, but if someone wants to o a deep dive into this it might be useful info:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2493936
    Easy way to archive an old forum?

https://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=261
    Forum: Free Hosting Offers

::: waves hello!:::

I'm in to chip in to Mike to buy more time... Also willing to pay monthly, too.

Is there any way to store the old forum in the cloud to refer to and just start a "fresh" small forum to actually post in?

Do we know what Mike pays per month to the web host?

Boston can find me on Messenger if I don't pop back here quikie enough!!
    Last edited by nestlequikie; 06-18-2023 at 03:18 AM.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Is there any way to store the old forum in the cloud to refer to and just start a "fresh" small forum to actually post in?

NESTL?!!!! So good to see you back posting. "Quickie enough". I see what you did there

That's exactly what I was thinking was to archive the old site to refer to and start a new forum on either a free or low cost service.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I'll do whatever the majority want to do.

I miss you.

But yeah -I'm also willing to chip in.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    I'll do whatever the majority want to do.
    Me too

I'm also willing to chip in to keep things running while a decision is made.

Yes. Me too.

Thread Information