Thread: Case of Tara Calico (19), missing since 1988, set to go to the DA

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.

Case of Tara Calico (19), missing since 1988, set to go to the DA

This is huge news to me; I have always wondered what happened to her. I am of the theory she was struck by a car and the occupant(s) hid her body.

Authorities expect Tara Calico case to go to the DA soon

VALENCIA COUNTY, N.M. Authorities said Tuesday they have enough evidence to soon turn the case of Tara Calico's 1988 disappearance over to the district attorney.

Tara's sister, Michele Doel, was there as investigators said they have persons of interest in the case.

The FBI and the Rocky Mountain Information Network have helped the Valencia County Sheriff's Office with the investigation. Collectively, they followed up on all the theories, leads and tips over the years.

While they couldn't provide any further details, this development is significant to Tara's family. After 35 years, they believe this is the closest they've been to getting justice for Tara.

"In the coming months, VCSO looks forward to working with Valencia County prosecutors to get justice for Tara and her family," Sheriff Denise Vigil said.

BACKGROUND

On the morning of September 20, 1988, Calico went for her daily 17-mile bike ride in Belen. Witnesses spotted her riding a neon-pink mountain bike just before noon. Then, around two miles from home, on NM-47, she and her bike disappeared.

Authorities say a light-colored pickup truck with an attached camper shell was close behind her as she rode toward home.

In the nearly 35 years since her disappearance, various leads have emerged, even photos claiming to show her. In 1998, a judge also reportedly ruled Calico dead by homicide.

The case lay dormant until 2013. Then, in 2019, the FBI posted a reward of up to $20,000 for information regarding Calico's whereabouts, as well as the arrest and conviction of those responsible for her disappearance.
    https://www.kob.com/new-mexico/autho...o-the-da-soon/

Oh wow. I was a teenager when this happened, and this wasn't super far from me. I always assumed the same as you BWS.

Remember the Polaroid that everyone thought was Tara?

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Oh wow. I was a teenager when this happened, and this wasn't super far from me. I always assumed the same as you BWS.

Remember the Polaroid that everyone thought was Tara?
    Yes, that polaroid. I am pretty sure it was proven to not be her, but I am not 100% certain on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    Yes, that polaroid. I am pretty sure it was proven to not be her, but I am not 100% certain on that.
    There's still no definitive answer.

https://people.com/crime/tara-calico...to-true-story/

That polaroid gave me goosebumps. It reminds me of the Petit girls photo.
    Last edited by Angiebla; 06-13-2023 at 06:53 PM.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Im reading elsewhere there was police corruption in this case?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    There's still no definitive answer.

https://people.com/crime/tara-calico...to-true-story/
    Interesting.

Affidavitt from 2013, deathbed confession

Its long but good

https://archive.org/details/Tara_Cal...e/n10/mode/1up

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Affidavitt from 2013, deathbed confession

Its long but good

https://archive.org/details/Tara_Cal...e/n10/mode/1up
    This is super interesting and I completely buy it. There's no motive for him to lie to them and it was super detailed. Completely plausible. The only thing that has me doubting it is the amount of detail it includes for someone that wasn't there during the killing. So either it's true and he was present during her death, but didn't want to admit that part. Or he's full of shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    This is super interesting and I completely buy it. There's no motive for him to lie to them and it was super detailed. Completely plausible. The only thing that has me doubting it is the amount of detail it includes for someone that wasn't there during the killing. So either it's true and he was present during her death, but didn't want to admit that part. Or he's full of shit.
    The thing I dont buy was the woman was involved with drugs in any way. He kept reinterating that.

I agree he has no reason to lie. I dont know what to think either. He had kept his mouth shut for so long, why say something then?

I'm still reading it, but remember the Tara Grinstead case. The truth came out over something just like this, after all that time. It's plausible.

Thread Information