Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MDS (17) from lack of life support and IT skills

My big brother suggested www.proboards.com. He said it's free but you would have to find a migration tool that could migrate our content over to the new message board. Can someone take a peek and see if it would suit us before I start to ask him about migration tools?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    It looks like Pro Boards doesn't have the platform to transfer existing data to them. They refer to Forum.Net which does. I took a quick look while on break, but couldn't find costs:

https://www.forums.net/product
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Also a suggestion to find out "what format the data is saved in" so we can search what migration tool to use. Omg. I need a cold beer. Does anyone know what format our data is saved in?

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    It looks like Pro Boards doesn't have the platform to transfer existing data to them. They refer to Forum.Net which does. I took a quick look while on break, but couldn't find costs:

https://www.forums.net/product
    The prices are listed as $49.99+/month to $399.99+/month

Quote Originally Posted by jennafyre View Post
    Also a suggestion to find out "what format the data is saved in" so we can search what migration tool to use. Omg. I need a cold beer. Does anyone know what format our data is saved in?
    J would have to answer that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    The prices are listed as $49.99+/month to $399.99+/month
    So not really better than where we are now.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    J would have to answer that.

So not really better than where we are now.
    I messaged him to ask.

I mean, the $50 per month is better than now but I have a feeling that a forum this size isn't going to cost only $50 with them.

ETA: If it's going to cost the same or more to find a place for it, we're almost better off pooling the money together to just reimburse Mike every month to keep it status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by jennafyre View Post
    All the data is in mysql in vbulletin tables.

Another option would be to transfer ownership to someone willing to take ownership of MDS.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by J View Post
    Another option would be to transfer ownership to someone willing to take ownership of MDS.
    Hum...I would be interested in doing so as part of a team if anyone else is up for it?

Hum...I would be interested in doing so as part of a team if anyone else is up for it?
    I'm up for it, but limited on resources right now. A year ago, it wouldn't have been an issue for me. But with the overseas move and the food truck not operating fully yet, every penny counts for me right now. That could change in the next few months once the truck is fully operational though.

Get your MDS tattoos now before you look like a too late poser. RIP MDS Counting down
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

I'm so glad I invested in the lifetime membership and got a tee shirt before this place dies.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

So I've been thinking about options and here's another possibility.

Starting a new forum isn't a huge deal. As long as people search for MDS, they'll find the new one and can just sign up again. We can choose something with a similar platform that allows us a preemie section and is lower cost that way. Our biggest issue is retaining this forum's history.

First thought: is it possible to archive this forum and it's threads so that nobody can comment on them and it's not active, but we are able to copy links to the threads that can be posted in the new forum if anything comes up. This way we're able to still read them, just not comment or interact with them. Would this cost money? Is there a free option to keep the shell (history) of this forum up and accessible?

Second thought: if this isn't possible, perhaps we choose select threads to transfer over to a new forum. There's a lot of dead weight in the threads here (pun intended). We could always isolate the newer and more active threads then maybe everyone pick a top ten that they personally would love to keep. Of course the threads on members that have passed away would be on that list. But threads like "Do you know where my wife is" etc would be on my favourites list.
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 06-03-2023 at 02:24 AM.

MDS is definitely tanking with all of the doubles lately

So I've been thinking about options and here's another possibility.

Starting a new forum isn't a huge deal. As long as people search for MDS, they'll find the new one and can just sign up again. We can choose something with a similar platform that allows us a preemie section and is lower cost that way. Our biggest issue is retaining this forum's history.

First thought: is it possible to archive this forum and it's threads so that nobody can comment on them and it's not active, but we are able to copy links to the threads that can be posted in the new forum if anything comes up. This way we're able to still read them, just not comment or interact with them. Would this cost money? Is there a free option to keep the shell (history) of this forum up and accessible?

Second thought: if this isn't possible, perhaps we choose select threads to transfer over to a new forum. There's a lot of dead weight in the threads here (pun intended). We could always isolate the newer and more active threads then maybe everyone pick a top ten that they personally would love to keep. Of course the threads on members that have passed away would be on that list. But threads like "Do you know where my wife is" etc would be on my favourites list.
    I really want to keep the old threads too. Im sentimental.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I really want to keep the old threads too. Im sentimental.
    Yeah, but there's a ton that are dead weight. They were never commented on and never went anywhere. All of those take up server space. I'm just saying that it's an option. If it comes down to having only the chosen threads or no MDS at all, I would pick the option with only chosen threads.

Archiving and keeping the old threads parked somewhere on the cheap would also retain the info as well. We just won't be able to interact with them.

I'm up for it, but limited on resources right now. A year ago, it wouldn't have been an issue for me. But with the overseas move and the food truck not operating fully yet, every penny counts for me right now. That could change in the next few months once the truck is fully operational though.
    This is my issue, too. I just remodeled my kitchen and now I have a kid going to college, I am one broke MFer.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

This is my issue, too. I just remodeled my kitchen and now I have a kid going to college, I am one broke MFer.
    Pics of the new kitchen, or it didn't happen.

Small threads, with just a few posts or less could be deleted before the archive.

Pics of the new kitchen, or it didn't happen.

Small threads, with just a few posts or less could be deleted before the archive.
    It's supposed to be finished today BUT I ordered a new range or whatever they are called, from Home Depot and it won't be here until tomorrow (supposedly). So no pictures until I get that put in, because the old one I have now does not match at all.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    Here are my concerns with Reddit. First of all there's no private preemie section, there is already a sub that Jumaki made and I guess is moderator of, and finally there is a lot of assholes over there and their format makes it hard to read (at least to me).
    I made a Reddit sub for it a long time ago: r/mydeathspace and I think I'm the only mod

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

I'm sorry to learn of this news. How much does it cost to keep this going?

This makes me very sad. I tried to login using my old username (where I was a premie) and was locked out.

Sorry to see this thread but it was inevitable - all good things come to an end. I haven't been here in over a year, I'm currently scanning the chats between unpacking boxes so I can catch up and see what you've all been up to. I see you've been quite the busy bunch. I've had an eventful 18 months myself - good stuff, bad stuff, wonderful stuff, sad stuff.... Life.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 07-14-2023 at 03:11 PM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

I'm up for it.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I'm up for it.
    Me too but BWS got a promotion and I dont think she will have the time to help us.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Thread Information