Thread: Police find 6 bodies, including 1 child, in St. Lawrence River

Police find 6 bodies, including 1 child, in St. Lawrence River

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/police-f...20York%20state.

The bodies of six people, including one child, were found in the St. Lawrence River Thursday afternoon after an air search involving the Canadian Coast Guard, the Akwesasne Mohawk Police said.

CTV News confirmed the deceased child was found with a Canadian passport.

The police service said the first body was found around 5 p.m. in a marsh in Tsi Snaihne (Snye) in Akwesasne, a Mohawk territory that straddles Quebec, Ontario and New York state.

Police are waiting on autopsy results to determine the cause of death of the six deceased.

"Police are attempting to identify the deceased persons at this time and ascertain their status in Canada. There is no threat to the public at this time," police said in a news release.

Maj. Trevor Reid, a spokesperson for the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre (JRCC) Trenton, said that a crew on board a Canadian Armed Forces Griffon helicopter discovered an overturned boat in the area where the bodies were located.

Police confirmed that the discovery of the bodies followed a search for a missing person that also started Thursday.

The investigation is ongoing.

Authorities will search for possible additional victims on Friday. Quebec provincial police (SQ) will assist the search and are sending a helicopter, special investigators and divers to the site.

Quebec Public Security Minister Fran?ois Bonnardel said he is "monitoring the situation closely" on Twitter Friday morning.

Police confirmed that the discovery of the bodies followed a search for a missing person that also started Thursday.
    Its so weird when this happens.

I guess their boat capsized and they didnt know how to swim.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Its so weird when this happens.

I guess their boat capsized and they didnt know how to swim.
    If that's true, it was really dumb to get on the boat. R.I.P. Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ople-1.6797256

2 people still missing after 6 bodies pulled from St. Lawrence River near Ontario-Quebec border

The dead are believed to be families attempting to enter the U.S. illegally

The six dead include five adults and one child under the age of three, the Akwesasne Mohawk Police Services said in a media release on Friday morning. They are believed to be an Indian family and a Romanian family who were attempting to cross into the U.S. from Canada illegally, according to police.

Casey Oakes, 30, remains missing, police said. Oakes was last seen on Wednesday boarding a small, light blue vessel, leaving Cornwall Island. He was dressed in black, wearing a black face mask and a black tuque.

Also missing is an infant believed to be from the Romanian family.

Akwesasne is a Mohawk community about 120 kilometres west of Montreal that straddles the Canada-U.S. border and occupies territory in Ontario, Quebec and New York state.

This appears to be a family member of Casey's: https://www.facebook.com/ruben.oakes.92

Additional details have been added about Casey.

Joe Oakes, the man’s great-uncle, said his nephew was “probably bringing those guys across,” referring to the people whose bodies were found Thursday night.

Mr. Oakes said his nephew made this kind of trip often – once every week or every other week – carrying migrants from Canada to the U.S. for money, as do others in the community, according to Mr. Oakes. He said there was bad weather on Wednesday night, when Casey boarded his brother’s boat. “They know the river, but he probably just couldn’t handle it that night,” he said.

In February, local police reported an increase in human smuggling into the Mohawk territory.
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...esasne-quebec/

Well if it was pitch black and storming, they didnt really have a chance

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Well if it was pitch black and storming, they didnt really have a chance
    From what I can tell, it was also a small boat. These were desperate people.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    From what I can tell, it was also a small boat. These were desperate people.
    They were just trying to have a better life. What a sad ending.

They were just trying to have a better life. What a sad ending.
    It really is.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I get trying to come to the US from South America, but from Canada? By all accounts, Canada is so much better than the US so I'm a little confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I take back what I said. This is all very sad.
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

I get trying to come to the US from South America, but from Canada? By all accounts, Canada is so much better than the US so I'm a little confused.
    I think Canada has tougher immigration laws than America.
    Last edited by Bewitchingstorm; 04-03-2023 at 04:43 AM.

A total of six adults and two children (one of them an infant) were found. How very sad.

https://www.wwnytv.com/2023/03/31/6-...und-akwesasne/

I can't find the article now but I read early this morning that a woman had called police the night the boat capsized and said she heard people screaming. The police came with flashlights they shined on the water but didn't see anything so they left :(

The same article stated that one of the families had been ordered to leave Canada and they were appealing that decision saying they would die if they returned to their home country. They were fleeing for their lives :(

I will post the article when I find it.

In my part of NY we get many who come to plant/tend/harvest onions, apples, cherries, squash and cabbage. They may have been trying to get here to work and settle in. We see it a lot and those hands are needed but being able to get US approval to come isn't easy and they may have been scared to do it legally.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

Quote Originally Posted by jennafyre View Post
    I can't find the article now but I read early this morning that a woman had called police the night the boat capsized and said she heard people screaming. The police came with flashlights they shined on the water but didn't see anything so they left :(

The same article stated that one of the families had been ordered to leave Canada and they were appealing that decision saying they would die if they returned to their home country. They were fleeing for their lives :(

I will post the article when I find it.
    Gawd, that is horrible.

The boat operator's body was finally located.

https://www.standard-freeholder.com/...iver-on-july-3

UPDATED— Casey Oakes confirmed as body found in St. Lawrence River on July 3
    Author of the article:Sidhartha Banerjee, Canadian Press
    Published Jul 28, 2023

Casey Oakes was reported missing on March 30, 2023 by the Akwesasne Mohawk Police Service.

AKWESASNE — The Akwesasne Mohawk Police Service confirmed Friday the body found this month in the St. Lawrence River is that of a man connected to the investigation into the deaths of eight migrants.

Police say the coroner’s office has identified the dead man as Casey Oakes, 30, a local resident who had been missing since March.

His boat had been found near the bodies of eight migrants who died while trying to cross illegally into the United States through Akwesasne Mohawk Territory, which straddles provincial and international boundaries and includes regions of Quebec, Ontario and New York state.

Police recovered the body on July 3 near Ross Island. Ross Island lies offshore from Charlottenburgh Park and the Cooper Marsh Conservation Area, opposite Plage Somerville and Pointe Leblanc, Que., downstream from Akwesasne’s main districts.

Casey Oakes used to smuggle drugs across St. Lawrence River

The bodies of members of two families were pulled from the south shore of the St. Lawrence River in the Tsi Snaihne district of Akwesasne, about 130 kilometres southwest of Montreal, on March 30 and 31. Four of the migrants were from India, and four were from Romania.

Oakes was last seen boarding his boat on Wednesday, March 29, in the midst of a series of snow squalls moving through the region at the time. It’s assumed he launched his boat from the eastern end of Kawehno:ke (Cornwall Island).

Four of the migrants were from India, and four were of Romanian descent. The four deceased Indians were members of the Chaudhari family from the western Indian state of Gujarat. They included the father, Praveenbhai Chaudhari, 50; mother, Dakshaben, 45; son, Meet, 20; and daughter, Vidhi, 23. The Romanian family was identified as Florin Iordache, 28; his wife, Cristina (Monalisa) Zenaida Iordache, 28; their two-year-old daughter, Evelin; and one-year-old son, Elyen. Both children were Canadian citizens.

Oakes was never charged in connection with the ill-fated crossing attempt, but Akwesasne police said in April that investigators believed he was “connected to the eight deceased victims.” They suspended their search for Oakes in local waterways on April 6.

In India, local police in the city of Mehsana, Gujarat, have been searching for three men who allegedly ran an immigration brokerage firm used to enter countries with fake documents.

A report filed in India alleges the brokers received the equivalent of about $100,000 from the Chaudhari family to help them cross into the United States by taxi. At the last minute, it says, the Indian family members were reluctantly convinced to travel by boat instead and were reassured there would be no problems, despite poor weather in the area.

In releasing the statement, AMPS offered its condolences to Oakes’ family and thanked its members for their patience.

It stated no further information would be released at this time, but indicated the investigation into the deaths of all involved remains ongoing. Police continue to ask that anyone with information on the incident contact Akwesasne Mohawk police at 613-575-2340, or by submitting a tip to tips@akwesasne.ca.

Authorities have said the area’s geography makes it a popular spot for human smugglers

The boat operator's body was finally located.

https://www.standard-freeholder.com/...iver-on-july-3

UPDATED? Casey Oakes confirmed as body found in St. Lawrence River on July 3
    Author of the article:Sidhartha Banerjee, Canadian Press
    Published Jul 28, 2023

Casey Oakes was reported missing on March 30, 2023 by the Akwesasne Mohawk Police Service.

AKWESASNE ? The Akwesasne Mohawk Police Service confirmed Friday the body found this month in the St. Lawrence River is that of a man connected to the investigation into the deaths of eight migrants.

Police say the coroner?s office has identified the dead man as Casey Oakes, 30, a local resident who had been missing since March.

His boat had been found near the bodies of eight migrants who died while trying to cross illegally into the United States through Akwesasne Mohawk Territory, which straddles provincial and international boundaries and includes regions of Quebec, Ontario and New York state.

Police recovered the body on July 3 near Ross Island. Ross Island lies offshore from Charlottenburgh Park and the Cooper Marsh Conservation Area, opposite Plage Somerville and Pointe Leblanc, Que., downstream from Akwesasne?s main districts.

Casey Oakes used to smuggle drugs across St. Lawrence River

The bodies of members of two families were pulled from the south shore of the St. Lawrence River in the Tsi Snaihne district of Akwesasne, about 130 kilometres southwest of Montreal, on March 30 and 31. Four of the migrants were from India, and four were from Romania.

Oakes was last seen boarding his boat on Wednesday, March 29, in the midst of a series of snow squalls moving through the region at the time. It?s assumed he launched his boat from the eastern end of Kawehno:ke (Cornwall Island).

Four of the migrants were from India, and four were of Romanian descent. The four deceased Indians were members of the Chaudhari family from the western Indian state of Gujarat. They included the father, Praveenbhai Chaudhari, 50; mother, Dakshaben, 45; son, Meet, 20; and daughter, Vidhi, 23. The Romanian family was identified as Florin Iordache, 28; his wife, Cristina (Monalisa) Zenaida Iordache, 28; their two-year-old daughter, Evelin; and one-year-old son, Elyen. Both children were Canadian citizens.

Oakes was never charged in connection with the ill-fated crossing attempt, but Akwesasne police said in April that investigators believed he was ?connected to the eight deceased victims.? They suspended their search for Oakes in local waterways on April 6.

In India, local police in the city of Mehsana, Gujarat, have been searching for three men who allegedly ran an immigration brokerage firm used to enter countries with fake documents.

A report filed in India alleges the brokers received the equivalent of about $100,000 from the Chaudhari family to help them cross into the United States by taxi. At the last minute, it says, the Indian family members were reluctantly convinced to travel by boat instead and were reassured there would be no problems, despite poor weather in the area.

In releasing the statement, AMPS offered its condolences to Oakes? family and thanked its members for their patience.

It stated no further information would be released at this time, but indicated the investigation into the deaths of all involved remains ongoing. Police continue to ask that anyone with information on the incident contact Akwesasne Mohawk police at 613-575-2340, or by submitting a tip to tips@akwesasne.ca.

Authorities have said the area?s geography makes it a popular spot for human smugglers

I knew it would only be a matter of time before they located him.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

It is good he was found so his family/loved ones can have some closure.

Thread Information