Thread: Woman Declared Dead by Nursing Home Found Breathing by Funeral Home. TWICE

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar

Woman Declared Dead by Nursing Home Found Breathing by Funeral Home. TWICE

N.Y. Nursing Home Under Investigation After Woman Declared Dead Found Breathing at Funeral Home
    The incident happened at the Water's Edge Rehab and Nursing Center in Port Jefferson, the Suffolk County Police Department tells PEOPLE in a statement
    By Melissa Montoya Published on February 6, 2023 09:11 PM

A New York nursing home is under investigation after a woman was pronounced dead only to be found breathing a few hours later at a funeral home on Saturday.

The incident happened at the Water's Edge Rehab and Nursing Center in Port Jefferson, the Suffolk County Police Department tells PEOPLE in a statement. The woman, 82, was pronounced dead at 11:15 a.m. and transported to the O.B. Davis Funeral Home in Miller Place at 1:30 p.m. She was later discovered breathing at 2:09 p.m., according to the Suffolk County police.

She was transported to a local hospital, according to Suffolk County police. They did not provide an update on her status on Monday.

Suffolk County police tell PEOPLE they referred the case to the New York State Attorney General's Office.

"This is an awful situation that has caused unnecessary trauma for the impacted resident and her loved ones," a spokesperson for the AG's office told PEOPLE. "The Office of the Attorney General is looking into the incident."

Water's Edge Rehab and Nursing Center in Port Jefferson, on the north shore of Long Island, did not immediately return PEOPLE's request for comment on Monday, but the nursing home told WABC News in New York, that, "Out of respect for the privacy and confidentiality of the families, we are honored to serve, we are not in a position to comment further on this matter."

The nursing home is also under investigation by the New York State Department of Health.

In a statement to PEOPLE, Department of Health Public Information Officer Monica Pomeroy said: "Upon learning of this incident, the New York State Department of Health has begun an investigation. As this is an ongoing investigation, we cannot comment at this time."

A similar incident happened in Iowa on Jan. 3 when a 66-year-old woman began to gasp for air after the body bag she was in was unzipped at a funeral home there.

In that incident, the Glen Oaks Alzheimer's Special Care Center received a $10,000 fine after an investigation by the Health Facilities Division of the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals, which oversees health facility safety.

The woman was taken to the hospital and then re-released to the care center, where she died two days later.

"We just completed an investigation by the Department of Inspections and Appeals regarding the matter," Lisa Eastman, executive director for the care center, told PEOPLE at the time. "We care deeply for our residents and remain fully committed to supporting their end-of-life care. All employees undergo regular training so they can best support end-of-life care and the death of our residents."
    https://people.com/human-interest/ny...-funeral-home/
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

good thing they didnt start to embalm her.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    good thing they didnt start to embalm her.
    The standards are really low these days, it seems. How many times did this happen and the funeral home didn't notice? Or didn't tend to the body right away therefore they suffocated in the body bag? Terrifying.

The Irish have the right idea. The body hangs out at home for a day or so in bed while people pop in to say goodbye and then gets taken by the funeral home.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    The way our elderly are treated is disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    The way our elderly are treated is disgusting.
    200%

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    The woman was taken to the hospital and then re-released to the care center, where she died two days later.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

Quote Originally Posted by puke View Post
    This is almost always the case. If their vitals are so low that people think they are dead, they are very ill. Ive never heard of a case where this happens and the person doesn die within a week.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

As someone who has always had a fear of being buried alive, death has never been a comfortable topic for me to discuss. However, I have come to realize that it is an inevitable part of life, and I want my funeral to be a beautiful tribute to the life I lived.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonRussell View Post
    As someone who has always had a fear of being buried alive, death has never been a comfortable topic for me to discuss. However, I have come to realize that it is an inevitable part of life, and I want my funeral to be a beautiful tribute to the life I lived.
    Me too. I would much rather others celebrate my life and laugh/enjoy than to cry/grieve.

BTW, welcome.

I have dreams about that too. My dad was a Medical Examiner for a brief time and told me what he saw. I NEVER EVER EVER want to be buried. I will haunt the fuck of whomever tries to bury me.

I dont really care about my funeral. Someone else can organize that.

Welcome! Death can be uncomfortable topic to discuss, but it's inevitable for all of us so might as well discuss it and become more comfortable with it. That's kind of why this site started. The fear of being buried alive is a real one though. It's terrifying to think about, but if it eases your worry, just know that it's extremely rare.

I want to be cremated and have all my friends get tattooed with my ashes at a celebration of life.

Quote Originally Posted by jennafyre View Post
    I want to be cremated and have all my friends get tattooed with my ashes at a celebration of life.
    That's pretty awesome

Quote Originally Posted by jennafyre View Post
    I didnt know they could do that. I know they can make them into diamonds.

Welcome to MDS. I have that fear as well.

I've already told my children that I don't want a funeral but if they decide to do something it should involve my friends, my family and music.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

One way I hope to achieve this is through the use of a Rustic Granite Bench Memorial. The natural beauty of the granite coupled with the rustic design creates a timeless and elegant memorial that will stand the test of time. I like the idea of having a bench because it creates a comfortable and welcoming space for loved ones to come and visit.

One way I hope to achieve this is through the use of a Rustic Granite Bench Memorial. The natural beauty of the granite coupled with the rustic design creates a timeless and elegant memorial that will stand the test of time. I like the idea of having a bench because it creates a comfortable and welcoming space for loved ones to come and visit.
    Ok, so you came here to sling your wares? I'm going to leave it for now because I actually find it kind of interesting, but don't post anything else. I have actually been thinking about something like that for my long term resting place, and I like that, so I will overlook your indiscretion this ONE time.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Ok, so you came here to sling your wares? I'm going to leave it for now because I actually find it kind of interesting, but don't post anything else. I have actually been thinking about something like that for my long term resting place, and I like that, so I will overlook your indiscretion this ONE time.

Quote Originally Posted by EthenHernandez View Post
    Wow, that story's wild! It's unbelievable how things can get mixed up. Makes you think twice about those systems, huh? On a lighter note, have you heard about water based cremation? It's this eco-friendly way of saying goodbye using water instead of fire. Pretty fascinating stuff, right? Thinking about different funeral options can really open up conversations about what we want for our own farewells.
    I always get excited when I see there is a new post in a thread and I know it's a bot

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I always get excited when I see there is a new post in a thread and I know it's a bot
    Same!!

Quote Originally Posted by EthenHernandez View Post
    I think this is the future
    Your mom is the future.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thread Information