Thread: 7.8 Magnitude Earthquake in Nurdagi Turkey - Current Death Toll at 600

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar

7.8 Magnitude Earthquake in Nurdagi Turkey - Current Death Toll at 600

More than 600 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria

Istanbul, TurkeyCNN

Rescuers are racing to find survivors trapped beneath rubble either side of the Turkey-Syrian border as the death toll from one of the strongest earthquakes to hit Turkey in 100 years rose beyond 600 people.

Thousands more were injured as the 7.8-magnitude quake shook residents from their beds around 4 a.m. Monday, sending tremors as far away as Lebanon and Israel.

The earthquake?s epicenter was 23 kilometers (14.2 miles) east of Nurdagi, in Turkey?s Gaziantep province, at a depth of 24.1 kilometers (14.9 miles), the United States Geological Survey (USGS) said.

Video from the scene in Turkey showed day breaking over rows of collapsed buildings, some with apartments exposed to the elements as people huddled in the freezing cold beside them, waiting for help.

In Turkey, at least 284 people were killed and more than 2,300 injured, according to Vice President Fuat Oktay. In neighboring Syria, at least 386 people died, including 239 mostly in the regions of Aleppo, Hama, Latakia and Tartus, Syrian state TV reported.

The ?White Helmets? group, officially known as the Syria Civil Defense, also reported at least 147 deaths in opposition-controlled areas of northwestern Syria. Much of northwestern Syria, which borders Turkey, is controlled by anti-government forces amid a bloody civil war that began in 2011.

Monday?s quake is believed to be the strongest to hit Turkey since 1939, when an earthquake of the same magnitude killed 30,000 people, according to the USGS. Earthquakes of this magnitude are rare, with fewer than five occurring each year on average, anywhere in the world. Seven quakes with magnitude 7.0 or greater have struck Turkey in the past 25 years ? but Monday?s is the most powerful.

Karl Lang, an assistant professor at Georgia Tech University?s School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, told CNN the area hit by the quake Monday is prone to seismic activity. ?It?s a very large fault zone, but this is a larger earthquake than they?ve experienced any time in recent memory,? Lang said.

?It felt like it would never be over?

Journalist Eyad Kourdi, who lives in Gaziantep and was staying with his parents when the earthquake struck early Monday, said ?it felt like it would never be over.?

When the shaking stopped, Kourdi and his parents walked out of their home still wearing their pajamas, he said.

With several inches of snow on the ground, they waited outside in the rain for about 30 minutes before he could go back inside to grab coats and boots.

Strong aftershocks have been felt in southern and central Turkey. About 11 minutes after the main quake hit, the strongest aftershock of 6.7 magnitude hit about 32 kilometers (20 miles) northwest of the main quake?s epicenter. Another intense aftershock with a magnitude of 5.6 then occurred 19 minutes after the main quake.

Kourdi said there were up to eight ?very strong? aftershocks in under a minute after the 7.8 magnitude quake struck, causing belongings in his home to fall to the ground. Many of his neighbors had left their homes following the quake, he said.

Photos showing the true scale of the disaster emerged as day broke in Turkey. Entire buildings have been flattened, with metal rods scattered across the streets. Cars have toppled over, while bulldozers work to clear the debris.

Gaziantep Castle has been heavily damaged in the powerful quake.

A winter storm in the region is exacerbating the disaster, according to CNN meteorologists.

?Hundreds of thousands of people are impacted by this. It is cold. It is rainy. Roads could be impacted, that means your food, your livelihood, the care for your children, the care for your family,? CNN meteorologist Karen Maginnis said.

?Anything as far as crops or anything growing across this region will be impacted as well. The ramifications of this are broad and will impact this region for weeks, and months.?
    More at link:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/02/05/e...hnk/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Update:

Istanbul, Turkey
    CNN

More than 1,300 people have died and rescuers are racing to pull survivors from beneath the rubble after a devastating earthquake ripped through Turkey and Syria, leaving destruction and debris on each side of the border.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    This is so sad. Now it is being reported more than 2,300 have died.

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-...623/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    This is so sad. Now it is being reported more than 2,300 have died.

Yeah, I saw that. I have a sinking feeling that it's going to go in to the tens of thousands once everything is said and done. It's been only about 24 hours and the weather is horrible in that area. It's not good, not good at all. Those poor people.

Ugh, the numbers are just getting higher and higher. Now they are saying over 3,400 people are dead.

They're about to hit 12K dead. It's going to be really, really bad.

I literally cried over this:

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    They're about to hit 12K dead. It's going to be really, really bad.

I literally cried over this:

That picture is beyond sad.

The death toll has surpassed 20K. I'm just beside myself. This is horrific

3K died on 9/11 and the entire world rallied around us. WTF is happening here? It's got me depressed.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/turkey-...escues-window/

The death toll has surpassed 20K. I'm just beside myself. This is horrific

3K died on 9/11 and the entire world rallied around us. WTF is happening here? It's got me depressed.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/turkey-...escues-window/
    I think our world is so numb from tragedies. The death toll is unfathomable; however, there is a lack of coverage from our media outlets.

This is worse than I thought could happen. The death toll now sits at 33K and rising. That's unfathomable:

Earthquake death toll exceeds 33,000 across Turkey and Syria -- and is expected to rise

https://edition.cnn.com/middleeast/l...cnn-mobile-app

This is worse than I thought could happen. The death toll now sits at 33K and rising. That's unfathomable:

Earthquake death toll exceeds 33,000 across Turkey and Syria -- and is expected to rise

https://edition.cnn.com/middleeast/l...cnn-mobile-app
    Sadly I am not surprised. The population density there is intense and I am sure a lot of the buildings are not modern or up to code. It's super sad. I keep seeing stories here and there about them finding people alive, but I am guessing we are about at the end of that period where people could have survived this long.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Sadly I am not surprised. The population density there is intense and I am sure a lot of the buildings are not modern or up to code. It's super sad. I keep seeing stories here and there about them finding people alive, but I am guessing we are about at the end of that period where people could have survived this long.
    They found a 10 year old alive today, but that's a bonafide miracle with the temperatures there. There isn't anyone else alive, I'm sure of it. You can't go that long without water and with that weather under rubble and survive. What breaks my heart are those that did survive just wasting away slowly and suffering. It's terrifying.

Well, there's over 40K dead now but there is some good news here and there. They are still rescuing people which to me is insane and miraculous. And this feel good story to give people some hope in humanity:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/...Nx1u-Zk0Q&s=19

Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 02-18-2023 at 01:48 AM.

Thread Information