Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 11 killed in Mass Shooting in Asian community in Monterey Park CA

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar

11 killed in Mass Shooting in Asian community in Monterey Park CA

Multiple casualties, some fatalities, reported after shooting in Monterey Park

Police were responding to reports of a shooting that resulted in multiple casualties, including fatalities, in Monterey Park on Saturday night, according to a law enforcement sources.

Few details were available, including the number of people shot. Internal police communications said there had been some fatalities. One law enforcement source said the causality count totaled more than a dozen people.

Seung Won Choi, who owns a seafood barbecue restaurant across the street from where the shooting happened on Garvey Avenue, said three people rushed into his restaurant and told him to lock the door.

They said there was a man with a machine gun in the area. The gunman, they said, had multiple rounds of ammunition on him, so that once his ammunition ran out, the shooter reloaded, Choi said.

Choi said he believes the shooting took place at a dance club in the area.

The shooting took place sometime after 10 p.m. near the site of a Chinese Lunar New Year celebration. Tens of thousands had gathered Saturday for the start of a two-day festival, one of the largest Lunar New Year events in the region.

Earlier in the day, crowds were enjoying skewers and shopping for Chinese food and jewelry. Saturday?s New Year festival hours were scheduled from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.

John, 27, who declined to give his last name, lives near the shooting site. He got home around 10 p.m. and heard about 4 or 5 gunshots, he said. Then he heard police cruisers ?smashing? down the street. He went downstairs at around 11:20 p.m. to see if the shooting occurred at the New Year festival.

?My first concern was I know they?re having a Lunar New Year celebration,? he said. But he said he saw that the festival had already been cleaned up for the day when he arrived. He went to the scene of the shooting and saw one person being put on a stretcher. Another person had a bandage on their arm.

Video on social media showed police and fire units swarming an area on Garvey Avenue and treating victims.

Injured people were taken to multiple hospitals in the area.

It was unclear if a suspect was in custody.

The violence left many in the area and beyond stunned.

Edwin Chen, a 47-year-old delivery dispatcher, rushed over from Woodland Hills to Monterey Park around 12:30 a.m. after hearing the news. Chen grew up in the area and said there are about a dozen or so family and friends live here.

He also said he was saddened this happened just as the community was celebrating Lunar New Year.

?This is (supposed to be) a happy time,? he said. ?I want to find out as much as possible. It?s still shocking,? he said.

?Our hearts go out to those who lost loved ones tonight in our neighboring city, Monterey Park, where a mass shooting just occurred,? Los Angeles city controller Kenneth Mejia, the first Asian American to hold citywide office in L.A., said in a tweet

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-mass-shooting
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

This is two miles from where I used to live and only a couple of blocks from a client with kids.

I watched some coverage from local news and they are claiming that the victims are all elderly and were at a dance studio holding an event for the Lunar New Year. Local police are not talking yet so we don't know how many were killed/injured and if they shooter is still at large.

I guarantee that this was a hate crime against Asians. They went to an Asian area on a night where they knew lots of people would be gathered. The festival was happening on this same block and had just ended. My guess is they didn't realize that it would end so early and looked for the next closest place that had a crowd gathered.

Confirmed, 9 people dead. Still no information on the shooter except that he's a male:

Live updates: At least 9 dead in a mass shooting in Monterey Park, California

https://edition.cnn.com/webview/us/l...cnn-mobile-app

Press conference confirmed 10 dead, multiple injuries varying from minor to critical. Suspect still at large. Possibly secondary incident in Alhambra (where I lived) at a ballroom. Rumors are that he was disarmed there but escaped.

We all know what's going on here. It's obvious this group was targeted. IDK why we can't label these people as terrorists.

The shooting happened next to my bank I went to all of the time. I used to park against the wall of that studio. It's really sad and bizarre to see it all over the news.

They knew the area, they knew that both were huge AAPI communities, knew where the ballrooms were and knew that they would be having events for the Lunar New Year. The festival was taking place literally across the street from the studio. I guess it's good that they didn't target that because the mass casualties would have been immense. But I think they chose not to do that because they would have been shot instantly by police. There wasn't the kind of security as the festival at the ballroom at that time of night and they intended on a spree by going to Alhambra.

Live coverage here and news conference to start at 8am Pacific. 15 minutes from now:

https://youtu.be/6cTJOeoDpvw

Its scary the shooter is still out there.

This is obviously a hate crime.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

This shit is a mess. They claimed that a white van was involved and then there was footage of SWAT opening fire on a white van in Torrance and then after they cleared the scene, the SWAT team surrounded ANOTHER white van and breaking in to it. They killed the first guy, so why would they need to keep stalking white vans? I think they killed someone innocent. Nobody's talking, but the body language of the detectives and the zero activity around the dead guy in the white van insinuates that they didn't get the right guy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...e5b98c301aed40

10 dead in shooting in Monterey Park, Calif., body found in van linked to suspect

Law enforcement officials told ABC News that when tactical teams accessed the van, they found a dead man believed to have died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. They are currently working to determine a positive ID and if he was the man being sought in connection with last night's mass shooting, the officials said.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...e5b98c301aed40

10 dead in shooting in Monterey Park, Calif., body found in van linked to suspect
    That's strange, because they shot up the van and there were bullet holes in the windshield

If they determine that it's actually the guy, then no harm no foul.

I guess it'll come out eventually, but hubby and I LITERALLY watched live while they encountered the first van with the dead guy then watched them surround and break in to another one well after they knew the first guy was dead and "identified". I mean.... If they had the guy and he was dead then why would they bother with another white van? I'm suspicious of LAPD and it's not like my suspicions are unfounded. They don't have the best track record. They shot up a bunch of innocent people looking for Dorner, for example.

I mean, did he miss the first time?

At least two bullet holes had been visible in the driver’s-side window in the moments prior to their approach, and the driver appeared to be slumped over the steering wheel. Multiple law enforcement sources told The Times that the driver had died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
    https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-mass-shooting

This was after they breached the first van and the first guy was dead so...... Why?

Im so lost. I feel like towelie.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Im so lost. I feel like towelie.
    I think I'm only following so closely because it's my old neighborhood and I'm watching places I was at daily on the news right now and it's freaky AF. Hubby is experiencing the same weird feelings about it hitting close to home when that isn't really our home anymore. But we spent over a decade there and even longer taking care of clients there so it kind of is "home" to us.

Imagine if this happened at your local bank that you went to once per week and then all of a sudden you find out that ten people were dead and ten others injured right where you go all of the time? You'd be glued to that footage. So we're hyper aware of the developments right now and knowing everything that's happening.

I mean, I literally was parked against the wall of that ballroom just 5 months ago closing our business account a couple of days before I left on a plane to Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I think I'm only following so closely because it's my old neighborhood and I'm watching places I was at daily on the news right now and it's freaky AF. Hubby is experiencing the same weird feelings about it hitting close to home when that isn't really our home anymore. But we spent over a decade there and even longer taking care of clients there so it kind of is "home" to us.

Imagine if this happened at your local bank that you went to once per week and then all of a sudden you find out that ten people were dead and ten others injured right where you go all of the time? You'd be glued to that footage. So we're hyper aware of the developments right now and knowing everything that's happening.

I mean, I literally was parked against the wall of that ballroom just 5 months ago closing our business account a couple of days before I left on a plane to Ireland.
    So was the guy who unalived himself in the car not the shooter? Who was in the second van?

They said on the press conference they had no description, yet they seemed to have a guy on a "wanted" poster. (the guy(?) with the winter hat and glasses)

I cannot imagine this happening close to where I live(d)-too close to home.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Is the suspect Asian?

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/los...023/index.html

The suspect in the Monterey Park mass shooting was disarmed by two people when he went to a second location on Saturday night, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna.

Luna had earlier disclosed that a male Asian suspect had walked into a dance hall in Alhambra and that "some individuals wrestled the firearm away from him."
    ETA:ok, now they have put our more info.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...6887#rcrd10098

The man suspected of carrying out a deadly shooting in Monterey Park was identified Sunday afternoon, Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna said.

The man, Huu Can Tran, 72, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in a white van in Torrance as officers closed in, Luna said.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 01-22-2023 at 05:18 PM.

72 years old? Damn

Well thats a hell of a plot twist.

Quote Originally Posted by of_corpse_not View Post
    72 years old? Damn
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Well thats a hell of a plot twist.
    Yeah, I wasn't expecting that.

Yeah, as bizarre as it is, he was a little old Asian guy. Hard to believe, but this seems to be the case. How he was able to take out 10 people and injure another ten then escape and try it again, I don't know.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    So was there nothing connected to the other white van?

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    So was there nothing connected to the other white van?
    I found out after the fact that he switched plates with the other van. So out of an abundance of caution they breached it. That's at least what I heard, I don't have an article that states it but it's believable.

Also, now an 11th person has died. This is so horrible all around. Hubby says that he went to the police a month ago claiming that his family was trying to poison him. He was definitely not all there.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I found out after the fact that he switched plates with the other van. So out of an abundance of caution they breached it. That's at least what I heard, I don't have an article that states it but it's believable.

Also, now an 11th person has died. This is so horrible all around. Hubby says that he went to the police a month ago claiming that his family was trying to poison him. He was definitely not all there.
    Oh no, I hadn't heard about the 11th person who died. How very sad.

Thread Information