Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Athena Strand, 7 , abducted and killed

Athena Strand, 7 , abducted and killed

Body of missing 7 year old Athena Strand, missing from rural Wise County, Texas, has been found tonight. Heartbreaking. Suspect (contract Fed Ex driver) has been arrested.

https://www.cbsnews.com/dfw/news/ath...n-wise-county/

Local News
    Athena Strand, missing 7-year-old girl, found dead in Wise County
    dfw

By Alex Keller

December 2, 2022 / 10:14 PM / CBS DFW

WISE COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM) ?*A two-day search in rural Wise County amid cold temperatures led to the discovery of Athena Strand's body. The 7-year-old was first reported missing from her father's home on Nov. 30.

Local News
    Athena Strand, missing 7-year-old girl, found dead in Wise County
    dfw

By Alex Keller

December 2, 2022 / 10:14 PM / CBS DFW

WISE COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM) ?*A two-day search in rural Wise County amid cold temperatures led to the discovery of Athena Strand's body. The 7-year-old was first reported missing from her father's home on Nov. 30.
    athena.jpg
    Athena Strand, 7. Maitlyn Presley Gandy via Facebook

At about 8:00 p.m., her body was found about 6 miles away from her home, Sheriff Lane Akin said Friday evening.

Police said that the contract driver of a FedEx truck abducted Athena and that she likely died within an hour based on digital evidence and on a confession.

The driver was named as Tanner Lynn Horner, 31, of Lake Worth. He is being held at the Wise County Jail on charges of capital murder and aggravated kidnapping. His bond has been set at $1.5 million.
    Sheriff Akin said that at about the time Athena went missing, Horner dropped off a package at the home. She was probably abducted from her driveway, about 200 yards away from the house.
    According to the Sheriff, Horner gave detectives at least two false locations - including an area of CR 4599 that was taped off by police - before leading them to Athena's body.

There was no information about a possible motive, but authorities said Horner did not know Athena or her family.

Earlier this week, Wise County Sheriff Lane Akin said they believe Athena likely ran away but did not rule out foul play. "It could be any number of things and we're looking at all those possibilities."

The Wise County Sheriff's Office said they received a call from her stepmother reporting her missing after the two had an argument while her father was not home. Police said she spent "about an hour" looking for her before contacting the sheriff's office.
    An Amber Alert was issued for Athena on Thursday and several hundred volunteers came out to Wise County to aid in the search.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.

Damn so sad.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    What the actual fuck?! I can only imagine that the motive was that he was a pedo and I can't imagine what they poor girl went through in that final hour.

Also, THIS SHIT NEEDS TO STOP. She was SEVEN YEARS OLD! I don't care if you think she ran away, SHE'S SEVEN YEARS OLD and it needs to be treated as if she's in imminent danger! DO YOUR FUCKING JOB!!!

Earlier this week, Wise County Sheriff Lane Akin said they believe Athena likely ran away but did not rule out foul play. "It could be any number of things and we're looking at all those possibilities."
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    What the actual fuck?! I can only imagine that the motive was that he was a pedo and I can't imagine what they poor girl went through in that final hour.

Also, THIS SHIT NEEDS TO STOP. She was SEVEN YEARS OLD! I don't care if you think she ran away, SHE'S SEVEN YEARS OLD and it needs to be treated as if she's in imminent danger! DO YOUR FUCKING JOB!!!
    Yeah, it's bad enough when the slow walk when it's an older teen or adult. But she was 7. It's not like she can get a job and start a new life in a new town.

Even if she left on her own you owe it to her to treat this like life and death, because, it is. We have had several cases lately of kids leaving home and being found at Dad's or Auntie's or a friend's house and the police try to get the word out on social and tv. Some people act like they are nuts. The kids are just doing kids. But I'm sure that if lo didn't take think seriously and something tragic occurred those same people would be howling for blood.

Poor child.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Its so scary that a delivery driver did this. How many do you see throughout the day? Tons. Especially now. It must have been a crime of opportunity for him. I just cant believe noone saw him. A 7 year old isnt as small as a toddler, and I assume she screamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Its so scary that a delivery driver did this. How many do you see throughout the day? Tons. Especially now. It must have been a crime of opportunity for him. I just cant believe noone saw him. A 7 year old isnt as small as a toddler, and I assume she screamed.
    Or he could have lured her in the truck, told her he had a Christmas package for her something. These stories make me paranoid af like we?re surrounded by pedos.

Tanner's FB profiles still up. He's apparently on the spectrum and has his own kid.

https://www.facebook.com/TwitchXD

She is so adorable. And the guy that did this looks like a total douche. Im not just saying that because hes a killer, he looks like a literal douche.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcastle View Post
    Tanner's FB profiles still up. He's apparently on the spectrum and has his own kid.

https://www.facebook.com/TwitchXD
    A ton of young girls on his friend list. Creepy AF.

Got this from fb: Hes done this before.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 12-04-2022 at 11:06 AM. Reason: put image in as non attachment too

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Fucking ridiculous. And he was left to keep raping girls and now killing this poor little one. Honestly, when are people going to realize that rape and murder are on the same level. The kind of person that can do that has the same kind of mentality to take someone's life, yet they barely see any jail time and victims aren't taken seriously.

I can?t see the attachment on mobile. What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by of_corpse_not View Post
    I can?t see the attachment on mobile. What is it?
    I fixed it in her post so that it will show as an attachment and a non-attachment, so hopefully you can see it now.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I fixed it in her post so that it will show as an attachment and a non-attachment, so hopefully you can see it now.
    Omg thank you I can see it now.

Now Im side eyeing every delivery car.

Ive ordered door dash and my son has gone out and gotten it because he loves saying hi to the driver. Not anymore. Ive stood at the door watching him, but im not going to risk it now.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    This one has hit me really hard. What a beautiful little precious angel. Thank goodness he did it in Texas where they don't play.

My sister's commented to me that people that follow true-crime tend to view the world with a certain sort of suspicion. Today I saw out my window that the neighbor kid was walking in front of my house and a van pulled up to her and the driver started talking to her. Probably just asking directions but I went out onto my porch so I could intervene or at least get a plate number if it turned out to be a kidnapping.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcastle View Post
    My sister's commented to me that people that follow true-crime tend to view the world with a certain sort of suspicion. Today I saw out my window that the neighbor kid was walking in front of my house and a van pulled up to her and the driver started talking to her. Probably just asking directions but I went out onto my porch so I could intervene or at least get a plate number if it turned out to be a kidnapping.
    I would have done the exact same thing. That's not paranoia, that's smart.

A FedEx driver panicked after striking a 7-year-old girl in Texas with his work van and threw her in the truck, where he killed her, authorities said.

Tanner Lynn Horner, 31, who is charged with capital murder and aggravated kidnapping, told authorities he placed Athena Strand in his work truck after he struck her with it, according to an arrest warrant affidavit released Thursday.

Horner allegedly told investigators the child was not seriously injured when he accidentally backed the truck into her. Horner also told investigators he even spoke to the girl in his van where she told him her name, the affidavit said.

But he killed her after he "panicked" and because "she was going to tell her father about being hit by the FedEx truck the Defendant was operating," the affidavit said.

Multiple media outlets reported Thursday Athena's mother, Maitlyn Gandy, saying Horner was delivering Athena's Christmas present, "You Can Be Anything" Barbie dolls, shortly before she was killed."Athena was robbed of the opportunity to grow up to be anything she wanted to be," Gandy said, while at times breaking down and crying. "I was supposed to bring Athena back home to Oklahoma after Christmas break. Now instead, Athena will be cremated and she will come home in an urn because I am not anywhere close to being ready to let my baby go."

The affidavit said Athena's stepmother called 911 to report the girl went missing from their home in Paradise, in Wise County, on Nov. 30 about 6:41 p.m.

The child was reported missing less than an hour after her stepmother last saw her in her temporary bedroom, which was a converted storage shed she shared with her stepsister, the affidavit said.

Investigators, according to the affidavit, learned FedEx delivered a package around the time she went missing. Investigators worked with a contracting company delivering packages for FedEx, to determine which van and driver made the delivery.

Investigators also learned the FedEx truck was equipped with cameras that captured one-minute clips, the affidavit said. An employee with the FBI, the affidavit said, analyzed video evidence and "found the driver had taken a young girl who was visibly similar to Athena in his van. The driver was seen on video talking to her in the van," the affidavit said.

Investigators were able to identify Horner as the driver.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ve-s-rcna60874
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

I?m not buying it. You accidentally hit a kid but didn?t injure them so you freak out and murder them? Wtf

Quote Originally Posted by of_corpse_not View Post
    I?m not buying it. You accidentally hit a kid but didn?t injure them so you freak out and murder them? Wtf
    Yeah. I'm still trying to get my eyes to stop rolling. It's just unbelievable.

I'm guessing they used the Reid interrogation technique on him. A standard technique is to feed the suspect "good" and "bad" alternatives that actually have equal legal culpability. Something like this

"Tanner, we know you killed her. But we know you're not a monster. Maybe you accidently hit her with a truck, and then tried to help her. But then you lost control of the situation and panicked because you know you'd get into trouble, so you made a bad decision and then another bad decision and things happened. Or maybe you really are a monster and you went out in your truck looking for vulnerable little girls to kidnap and murder. Unless you tell us it how it went down we're going to assume you're a monster and have to tell your family and the media that."

Tanner agrees with the "accident" story and winds up confessing to murder,

Thread Information