Thread: Lynda Bluestein ended her life in VT while suffering from ovarian cancer, after suing to expand VT's end of life law to include non state residents

Lynda Bluestein ended her life in VT while suffering from ovarian cancer, after suing to expand VT's end of life law to include non state residents

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lynda-b...-life-vermont/

A Connecticut woman who pushed for expanded access to Vermont's law that allows people who are terminally ill to receive lethal medication to end their lives died in Vermont on Thursday, an event her husband called "comfortable and peaceful," just like she wanted.

Lynda Bluestein, who had terminal cancer, ended her life by taking prescribed medication.

Her last words were 'I'm so happy I don't have to do this (suffer) anymore,'" her husband Paul wrote in an email on Thursday to the group Compassion & Choices, which was shared with The Associated Press.

The organization filed a lawsuit against Vermont in 2022 on behalf of Bluestein, of Bridgeport, Connecticut, and Diana Barnard, a physician from Middlebury. The suit claimed Vermont's residency requirement in its so-called patient choice and control at end-of-life law violated the U.S. Constitution's commerce, equal protection, and privileges and immunities clauses.

The state agreed to a settlement last March that allowed Bluestein, who is not a Vermont resident, to use the law to die in Vermont. And two months later, Vermont made such accommodations available to anyone in similar circumstances, becoming the first state in the country to change its law to allow terminally ill people from out of state to take advantage of it to end their lives.

Ten states allow medically assisted suicide but before Vermont changed its law only one state - Oregon - allowed non-residents to do it, by not enforcing the residency requirement as part of a court settlement. Oregon went on to remove that requirement this past summer.

Vermont's law, in effect since 2013, allows physicians to prescribe lethal medication to people with an incurable illness that is expected to kill them within six months.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Wow. The impact of Vermont doing this might make a lot of positive change happen when it comes to end of life. The whole residency requirement, though understandable, doesn't always make sense when you consider the individuals who need it and the fact they are terminally ill. Patients cannot afford the time, nor the money, to wait to become residents. Oregon, and now Vermont, are doing groundbreaking things.

RIP Lynda.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    Wow. The impact of Vermont doing this might make a lot of positive change happen when it comes to end of life. The whole residency requirement, though understandable, doesn't always make sense when you consider the individuals who need it and the fact they are terminally ill. Patients cannot afford the time, nor the money, to wait to become residents. Oregon, and now Vermont, are doing groundbreaking things.

RIP Lynda.
    This is HUGE for those of us who live in states where there will never be rights such as this. As you said, time isn't always on your side when you get a terminal diagnosis and you shouldn't have to suffer because you live in one state vs another.

Thank you Lynda. RIP

You did good Lynda. Im glad you got to die with dignity. RIP.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    She's a hero. There are going to be a LOT of people and their family that will benefit from what she did.

Rest in Power Lynda. You earned it
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Rest in peace Lynda, and thank you for paving the way for others, hopefully, to be granted the same power over their lives.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

Thread Information