Thread: Comedian Gallagher (76) has died

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.

Comedian Gallagher (76) has died

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/gal...ns-1235430439/

Gallagher, the inventive prop comedian known for smashing watermelons as part of his act, died Friday of organ failure, his former manager Craig Marquardo confirmed to Variety. He was 76.

Gallagher had been in hospice care in California after suffering multiple heart attacks in recent years.

Born Leo Anthony Gallagher Jr., the mononymous comedian became a household name in 1980 with 'An Uncensored Evening,' the first standup comedy special to ever air on Showtime. Gallagher would go on to create 12 more hourlong specials for the network, as well as several popular programs for HBO.

Gallagher's signature bit involved a handmade sledgehammer he called the 'Sledge-O-Matic,' which he would use to smash food onstage and spray it onto the audience. His hammer's trademark victim was the watermelon. Gallagher also became famous for his witty wordplay and sharp observational comedy.

While his contemporaries went on to host talk shows or star in sitcoms or movies, Gallagher remained on the road in America for nearly four decades, touring steadily up until the COVID-19 pandemic and playing over 3,500 live shows throughout his career. In his later years, Gallagher led a long-running Geico commercial and appeared in his first movie, 'The Book of Daniel.' In 2019, he embarked on a farewell tour dubbed the 'Last Smash.'

In the early 1990s, Gallagher gave his brother, Ron Gallagher, permission to do shows using the 'Sledge-O-Matic' routine, on the contingency that promotional materials would clearly state that it was Ron, not Leo, who was performing. After several years, Ron started marketing his act as Gallagher Too or Gallagher Two, and in some instances it was not made clear that he was not, in fact, the original Gallagher. Leo requested that Ron stop performing the 'Sledge-O-Matic' sketch, but his brother continued to do the routine. In 2000, Leo sued his brother for trademark violations and false advertising, and the courts issues an injunction preventing Ron from performing any act that impersonated Leo, as well as intentionally bearing likeness to him.

Not gonna lie I thought he died a while back

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by of_corpse_not View Post
    Same.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    So sad. I loved him growing up! He had had a few really serious heart attacks. That's probably why people thought he had already died. He had basically retired from comedy because he couldn't do the sledgehammer thing anymore due to his condition. People would expect it from him so he rarely came out to do comedy after his first heart attack

His brother took advantage of it since he looks so much like him and basically stole his act. He was like "Dollar Store Gallagher".
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I could have sworn he died a year or two ago.

I remember my dad watching him when I was a kid. According to everyone on Reddit he ended up being a right wing nutty racist. Like I said I legit thought he died a while ago so didn?t know about anything of him past the 80s.

Shit, I didn't realize he was still alive.

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

I remember my dad watching him when I was a kid. According to everyone on Reddit he ended up being a right wing nutty racist. Like I said I legit thought he died a while ago so didn?t know about anything of him past the 80s.
    I have a hard time believing this. He was always a hippie and even smashed police cars with his sledgehammer out of frustration for "authority figures". Where are they getting the info that he's a right winger? I'm taking that with a grain of salt. He did a comedy show as recently as 2015 where he was very Lefty......

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I have a hard time believing this. He was always a hippie and even smashed police cars with his sledgehammer out of frustration for "authority figures". Where are they getting the info that he's a right winger? I'm taking that with a grain of salt. He did a comedy show as recently as 2015 where he was very Lefty......
    Yeah. He was.
    Published Aug. 12, 2003|Updated Jun. 20, 2006

A comedian best known for demolishing watermelons onstage took his campaign to be governor of California to the nation's capital on Monday.

"I'm tired of being dismissed as merely a guy who smashes fruit," said Gallagher, who grew up in the Tampa Bay area and attended Tampa schools. He is so well known for the act that his audiences wear plastic ponchos.

"I'm as nutty as the others" in the crowded field to replace Gray Davis, should the governor be recalled in a special election, said Gallagher. But his campaign slogan is "Insanity That Makes Sense."

So while Republican frontrunner Arnold Schwarzenegger was refusing to take reporters' questions in New York City, Leo Gallagher was answering anyone who would ask one at Jack's Famous Deli, across the street from the Washington Post. Yes, "Leo is my first name," conceded Gallagher, who was forced to reveal it to be on the California ballot. "It's also my astrological sign."

He is among the lesser-known of nearly 200 candidates. Others include Michael Jackson, an electrical engineer counting on name confusion; Nathan Whitecloud Walton, son of former basketball star Bill Walton; Donald A. Novello, who played Father Guido Sarducci on Saturday Night Live; Angelyne, a Los Angeles billboard model; smokers advocate Ned Roscoe, owner of the Cigarettes Cheaper! discount chain; and Jack Grisham, singer for the punk band TSOL.

Is this political race a circus?

"Sure it is," said Gallagher, who believes that many of the candidates are actually running just for the publicity. His own press release mentioned that he has appearances later this week in Chicago and Iowa.

Unlike the others who are just now formulating their views for the race, the candidate said he already had a political philosophy and is "getting publicity for my platform by using the governor's race."

For instance, he advocates using large military helicopters to pluck cars disabled by fender-bender accidents off crowded freeways. That would prevent huge traffic jams that are reducing economic productivity because people can't get to work.

And he wants to make it illegal to talk loudly on cell phones in public places and to wear your pants too low. He believes the national anthem should be sung in Spanish at sporting events in cities such as Los Angeles and Miami that have heavily Hispanic populations. He also wants a dam to be built across the Gulf of California to create a new fertile valley in Mexico. After the sea water is drained, crops _ including watermelons _ would be grown and harvested by Mexican families who then wouldn't have to emigrate to the U.S., he said.

Gallagher said that he came to Washington to visit the Pentagon, departments of Education and Transportation, Atomic Energy Commission and the Mexican Embassy "to do research" on how his programs could be implemented. His first stop, however, was the Post, where he said the security guards wouldn't let him in.

So the 57-year-old candidate set up a temporary campaign headquarters across the street.

"I'm the comedian who smashes watermelons on TV," Gallagher explained to Washingtonians who didn't recognize him.

"It was like pulling teeth to get 65 signatures in Los Angeles" in order to qualify as a candidate, he said. Many people didn't recognize him.

In Washington, dozens of fans did recognize him and some asked for autographs. But few were registered to vote in California.
    https://www.tampabay.com/archive/200...as-the-others/
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

https://www.thestranger.com/theater/...mashing-maniac

There?s a bunch of links on the Reddit news thread like this.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    https://www.thestranger.com/theater/...mashing-maniac

There?s a bunch of links on the Reddit news thread like this.
    Well, that's extremely disappointing. Somewhere along the line he lost the script. I guess I only knew the early Gallagher. What a shit stain.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Well, that's extremely disappointing. Somewhere along the line he lost the script. I guess I only knew the early Gallagher. What a shit stain.
    When we were first watching Gallagher, he certainly came across as a cranky hippy type, but a person can change over a 40-50 year career. On the other hand, I'm not sure I buy everything people post on Reddit. I have such a problem with value judgments on celebrities. Do I enjoy their work? That's easy. Do I spend money to support some misogynistic asshole who creates work that offends me? That's also easy. But what about the person whose politics are wacky? Or the person who does work that I really enjoy, but who is demonstrably evil? A Roman Polanski, Warren Beaty, Harvey Weinstein, or Bill Cosby? What about if they apologize? go to jail, or die? After Bill Cosby dies can I laugh at "eggs and wheat and milk? That's nutrition!" again? I mean the man lost his career, went to jail and can't harm anyone ever again? It's tough.

Unforgivably racist or just tasteless good fun?

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    When we were first watching Gallagher, he certainly came across as a cranky hippy type, but a person can change over a 40-50 year career. On the other hand, I'm not sure I buy everything people post on Reddit. I have such a problem with value judgments on celebrities. Do I enjoy their work? That's easy. Do I spend money to support some misogynistic asshole who creates work that offends me? That's also easy. But what about the person whose politics are wacky? Or the person who does work that I really enjoy, but who is demonstrably evil? A Roman Polanski, Warren Beaty, Harvey Weinstein, or Bill Cosby? What about if they apologize? go to jail, or die? After Bill Cosby dies can I laugh at "eggs and wheat and milk? That's nutrition!" again? I mean the man lost his career, went to jail and can't harm anyone ever again? It's tough.

Unforgivably racist or just tasteless good fun?

I think we all have to make the decision ourself whether we?re okay with ?separating the artist from the artist? or not. I mean since we have the internet now, we learn every damn bad thing celebrities have ever done and there?s hardly a celebrity that exists that hasn?t done something that could get them ?cancelled?. It seems like now every time someone famous dies, 5 minutes later we learn they were actually racist or were a sexual predator etc.

Like I said I thought Gallagher died a while ago. My dad used to watch him in the 80s and I remember laughing at his stuff as a kid. I don?t think we?re bad people because we liked his comedy whether he ended up being a nut later in life or not. Just like you?re not a bad person if you like the Cosby show or you think the song ?ignition? is a bop even though the artist is a monster.

Thread Information