Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Makayla Chang's (16) remains were found two months after she went missing

Makayla Chang's (16) remains were found two months after she went missing

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/po...teen-1.3346367

Mounties have released photos of a man who may be with a 16-year-old girl from Nanaimo who went missing more than a week ago.

Makayla Chang, who also goes by the names of Kayla and Finn, was last seen in the Harbour City on March 17.

Police say she might be with 53-year-old Steven Michael Bacon.

Police say 16-year-old Makayla Chang might be with 53-year-old Steven Michael Bacon. (Photo: RCMP)
    Makayla Chang

Makayla Chang was last seen in the Harbour City on March 17. (Photo: RCMP)
    According to officials, Chang and Bacon know each other and may have travelled to the Lower Mainland.

"They have dropped off the radar. The family is very concerned for Makayla," Nanaimo RCMP Const. Gary O'Brien said. "We're getting lots of tips coming in, but to date we haven't had a chance to put eyes on her and talk to her and find out what happened."

Chang is described as 5?1?, 110 pounds, with light skin and short dyed red hair. She wears glasses and has piercings in her lip and above her upper lip. The teen also wears wigs and may dress as a male at times, officials say.

Bacon is 5?10?, 209 pounds, has a short white buzz cut, thick white goatee, a teardrop tattoo under his left eye and a tattoo on the back of his right hand.
    Anyone with information is asked to contact 250-754-2345 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477

This one is really concerning. She grew up in her grandmother's custody. According to unsubstantiated fb posts from friends/family, this guy ingratiated himself with local teens, buying smokes & alcohol etc. He developed a particularly close "fatherly" relationship with Kayla, even offering to adopt her. He claimed to have lost his own daughter to suicide after she was abused - this made the kids, especially Kayla, feel like he only had good intentions towards them, that they filled a void in his life & vice versa

But his adult daughter is being very vocal in sharing Kayla's missing posters & warning people NOT to believe his stories. She says there was no abused daughter who committed suicide, there's just she & her sister. She says she is his abused daughter & he was her abuser & she's still alive. She says Kayla resembles her at that age & she's very worried for her.

One of the reasons some are getting very concerned is that Kayla is over the age of consent. Her grandmother already approached police for help keeping him away from her & was told there was nothing they could do. So even if he had started a (consensual) sexual relationship with her, he'd have no reason to suddenly leave everything he owns & go into hiding like this.

I havent read his daughter's entire fb thread yet but for a very quick rundown there's comments mentioning that Kayla herself had started to become concerned about him in recent weeks (unsubstantiated). There are claims they were sighted together on a local bus a day or 2 before she was reported missing (unsubstantiated). Claims he was the one who made the missing report (unsubstantiated). And also reports he was seen alone on local buses carrying a full garbage bag, in the days following her disappearance (unsubstantiated)

If you click back to the start you'll eventually find these posts (& more) here :

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...2&id=514400601

Kayla has fb pages under different names & there's at least one search pg for her too if anyone has time to find them before I do.

Another article here :

http://www.cheknews.ca/new-details-e...-bacon-296782/

We?re learning new details about the disappearance of 16-year-old Nanaimo girl Makayla Chang.

As RCMP continue searching for 53-year-old Steven Bacon who they believe knows what happened to her, we are hearing from Chang?s worried family and friends who shed further light on the disturbing relationship between the teen and the much older man.

Nervously waiting by the phone, Dolly Chang is as worried as a grandmother can be.

?I just want her to come home or to call somebody and let us all know that she?s okay you know,? says Chang.

The Nanaimo woman has raised Makayla Chang since she was 3-years-old and is now is frightened for her safety.

The little girl she loves and struggled to keep control of, vanished 14 days ago and is believed to be in the company of 53 year old Steven Bacon. A man Chang says developed a disturbing bond with her granddaughter, that?s reflected in this letter he wrote to the teen.

?It?s my dearest baby bird,? says Dolly Chang reading the handwritten letter. ?That?s what he calls her, baby bird,? she says. ?Angel I want you to know that you are the most precious person I have ever known and said I wanted to adopt and be your father?? the letter reads.

?Makayla had been staying off and on at his place for the last two months. But she?d been lying to me when she texted me at night saying she was staying at friends,? says Dolly Chang.

She says she?d been worried about his intentions with her granddaughter for a long time. So she went to the police looking for help. But with Makayla, 16 and meeting the age of consent, her grandmother says she could do nothing.

?She adamantly refused to believe anything bad about Steve. I said what he?s doing isn?t right. He shouldn?t be hanging around with you,? says Chang. ?Just so angry with him. And now he?s gone. Yeah. Yeah.?

It?s an emotion felt throughout the Nanaimo mobile home park Makayla Chang was raised in.

?Everyone?s like where. It?s devastating like where is she what happened,? says neighbours Derrick & Ramona Green.

RCMP have extensively searched the Bruce Avenue property Bacon lived on and have now left with bags of evidence in hand. Leaving this grandmother still anxious for answers and her Makayla missing into another night.

& here

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/lo...een-1.13560835

Nanaimo RCMP searched a Bruce Avenue home on Wednesday and Thursday in connection with the disappearance of a teen girl.

Police wouldn?t say who owns the residence searched. ?But it?s safe to say that we are searching areas she has frequented and possibly resided or stayed at,? Nanaimo RCMP Const. Gary O?Brien said.

He said police called on search-and-rescue personnel Wednesday to help check outside areas in Nanaimo where Makayla might have gone and fallen or been injured. Nothing was found.

The forensic unit was at the house Thursday ? not unusual for such a search, he said.

Police around the Island, on the mainland and in the United States have been alerted about the case. She hasn?t been seen on B.C. Ferries surveillance cameras.

Makayla, who has also used the names Kayla and Finn, is typically very active on social media, but has not been using it lately. She is described as five-foot-one and 110 pounds, with hazel eyes and hair dyed red.

She has glasses and a number of facial piercings, sometimes wears wigs and occasionally dresses as a male.

Bacon is described as five-foot-10 and 210 pounds. He is balding, with white hair worn in a buzz cut, and has a yellowish goatee. He has a teardrop tattoo under his left eye, as well as a tattoo on the back of his right hand.

Nanaimo RCMP ask anyone with information to call them at 250-754-2345. Anonymous reports can be made by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS, going to nanaimocrimestoppers.com or texting 274637 using the keyword ?Nanaimo.?

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2017...e_went_missing
    Last edited by Olivia; 05-23-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Last edited by blighted star; 08-12-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Also there's this article/blog linked by a friend of hers who has also met Steve Bacon. The friend describes it as "kind of a weird article and there's a few errors I found in it. I wouldn't agree with the majority of it but sharing for anyone who wants to give it a read" - so I'm not giving the writer's theory any crediblity. I'm mostly linking it because it helps explain soc med comments that are along the lines of "Steve Bacon obviously doesn't know who her real Dad is" & imply her Dad was probably already planning to do something bad to him.

http://breakingthecode.ca/did-hells-...=socialnetwork

Is there a Hells Angels connection to the disappearance of Makayla Chang?

I don?t know, but let me tell you what I have been able to dig up. I have beaten the street for information, and what I have found is very alarming.

As you might recall, Makayla is the sixteen year old teen who went missing from Nanaimo and has not been seen or heard from since March 16 of this year.

I don?t like the nagging feeling I am getting. It seems to me that there are too many coincidences in her disappearance.

Coincidence One
    Makayla Chang is the daughter of prolific offender Kerry Chang

Kerry Chang is infamous in Nanaimo, and is rumored to be connected with the Hells Angels. Since the Hells Angels basically run crime in Nanaimo, it is difficult to be a big time criminal there without a Hells Angels connection.

Father Kerry Chang and daughter Makayla Chang

That understood, Mr. Chang recently got busted with a loaded semi-automatic handgun and $7,000 in cash. Accordingly, he was sentenced to 90 days in jail. This money supposedly belonged to the Hells Angels.

As an aside, what I can?t understand is why this guy was out on bail. After all, his criminal record is almost beyond belief. Also, with that in mind, it?s astounding that he got only 90 days for a loaded semi-automatic weapon.

Coincidence Two

Steven Bacon is being sought in connection with the disappearance of Makayla Chang

Steven Michael Bacon

The RCMP wants to talk with Steven Bacon in connection with the disappearance of Makayla Chang

Bacon is 53 years old, 5′ 11″ tall and weighs 209 pounds. He is also rumored to have connections with the Hells Angels.

Please take notice of the teardrop tattoo under his left eye. In the old days, this meant that you had murdered somebody. I don?t know how fresh the tattoo might be or if it is from the old days, so I can?t assign a murder meaning to it. Accordingly, it might just mean that he did jail time.

Whatever its exact meaning is though, the tattoo makes it clear that he is part of the criminal world.

Coincidence Three

Nanaimo Courthouse

Kerry Chang was sentenced on March 16, 2017. This is the very day that Makayla Chang went missing

Nanaimo Courthouse

Folks, I don?t like coincidences, and this set worries me. Accordingly, I fear that Makayla Chang, an innocent 16 year old child, might be a pawn in a dope game.

I fear that it is possible that she is being used as insurance. Perhaps the bikers are holding her to make sure they get their $7,000 back, or perhaps they are afraid of what her father might say to the police while in custody.

There was a time when reaching out to family members, especially children was taboo. However, the dope game is now more dangerous than ever.

The dealers think nothing of their customers dying of a fentanyl overdose. With the Hells Angels puppet clubs, like the Red Scorpions, the game has become even more vicious and the ground rules have changed.

Here are a few more of the many faces of Makayla Chang

She could be anywhere on the mainland or anywhere on the island. Accordingly, contact the Nanaimo RCMP with any information, and please, pay special attention to her lip piercings. One cannot easily hide the holes they produce.

Additionally, Makayla, who also sometimes goes by the name Kayla, is 5′ 1″ tall, has green eyes, weighs 110 lbs and is fair skinned.

Let?s bring her home safely

Sorry for the multi-posting. Just found this recent article. I don't know how good a source it is. It reminds me a little of the case in Tennessee at the moment though in that this guy has gone to some lengths to get the people around him convinced that he's only interested in protecting/saving her & not a predator stalking extremely vulnerable teenage girls

http://www.cheknews.ca/friend-says-s...e-good-297902/

Friend says Steven Bacon?s intentions with Makayla Chang are ?good?
    Posted By: Skye Ryanon: April 03, 2017In: News
    The search for 16-year-old Makayla Chang is now in its 17th day in Nanaimo.

RCMP insist the case is moving forward and the investigation is very active, as they comb for both Chang and 53-year-old Steven Bacon who we?re learning new details about from someone who knew him well.

They?re as unlikely a pair to go missing together as you could imagine, but Vivian Larsen says if 16-year-old Makayla Chang is with 53-year-old Steven Bacon she is in good hands.

?He wanted to adopt her. He approached the mom and the grandma,? says Vivian Larsen. ?Doesn?t that sound scary to you though that he wanted to adopt her?? we ask. ?No he?s okay he?s not a pedophile,? says Larsen. ?I mean I?ve known this man for years and he wouldn?t harm a hair on that girl?s head.?

The Nanaimo woman say she saw her friend Bacon a week ago. Before RCMP went public that they were looking for him in connection with the 16 year old?s disappearance March 17th.

Chang?s Grandmother who?s raised her since she was three is worried for her.

?Yeah it?s been a long time. Just too long now,? says Dolly Chang.

She?s also worried about Bacon?s motives with the pretty 16-year-old, who he was passing off as his daughter and who unbeknown to her family had moved in with him.

?Makayla had been staying off and on at his place for the past two months but she?d been lying to me when she texted me at night saying she was staying at friends,? says Chang.

Yet Larsen insists, his intentions are good.

?So Vivian if you had a 16 year old daughter would you (be okay with this)?? we ask. ?In a heartbeat,? says Larsen. ? I?d let him take care of my daughter.?

Extensive searches of Bacon?s Nanaimo basement apartment, turned up no sign of her. Sunday Search and Rescue combed nearby Colliery Dam Park in a grid search but there too no clues.

Larsen thinks they?re likely hiding in the ample wilderness surrounding Nanaimo from those looking for them.

?Yeah well he?s really good at hiding and so is she. He was raised in the bush. So he?s very adept at keeping on the down low,? says Larsen.

Why they?re hiding she says she doesn?t know. Just one of the lines of investigation RCMP are chasing in the mystery of what happened to Makayla Chang.

I don't have a real good feeling about this one.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    I don't have a real good feeling about this one.
    Yeah, me either

& their search sites are really concerning. They're not checking out her friends couches or teen hangouts now, they're searching his place - & dams, collieries & wooded areas

Locals are claiming they had suited up CSI techs at his house & that they erected a crime scene tent in the backyard while they were there. Apparently RCMP had to issue a statement via media denying rumours they removed remains from the backyard but I haven't seen that in any article myself yet

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/lo...een-1.13560835

Search at Nanaimo park linked to missing teen, Mounties say
    CTV Vancouver Island
    Published Sunday, April 2, 2017 1:10PM PDT
    Last Updated Monday, April 3, 2017 6:42PM PDT

Search and rescue crews focused their efforts on a Nanaimo park on Sunday in connection to a missing 16-year-old girl who hasn?t been seen in more than two weeks.

RCMP wouldn?t say what led them to Colliery Dam Park or what they are searching for, only that it?s connected to the Makayla Chang investigation.

?We can confirm it is part of the Makayla Chang investigation,? said Const. Gary O?Brien. ?We are utilizing SAR under the direction of the RCMP to search the area of Colliery Dam. There is nothing to indicate she may be there, we are just being thorough in our investigation.?

The Nanaimo teen was last seen on March 17th in the Harbour City.

Mounties say Chang may be with an acquaintance, 53-year-old Steven Michael Bacon.

Officers searched Bacon?s Nanaimo basement suite on Friday and wouldn?t elaborate if anything was found.

The man who rents the house on Bruce Avenue and sublets a unit to Bacon did not want to be identified. He told CTV News Bacon wanted to adopt Chang and often let her spend the night on his couch.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    That poor girl.

Could he hide her in that crack in the ground that runs through the park? Here's a pic of it http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-abyss...anaimo-BC-5279

Quote Originally Posted by 16pixels View Post
    Could he hide her in that crack in the ground that runs through the park? Here's a pic of it http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-abyss...anaimo-BC-5279
    I was checking that out on YouTube the other night, I think it's probably too narrow though. People were saying it'd be a risk for small dogs & toddlers but no so much for older children.

HOWEVER, I also read it's not a natural feature but more likely the result of mine subsidence. There's definitely a mine shaft somewhere nearby, and several others in the general area. Nanaimo has a big coal mining history so between disused shafts, old collieries, woods & lakes there's a lot of area to search :(

http://www.ladysmithhistoricalsociet...edy-of-errors/

Edit : & fuuuuuck small world. I've got mutual friends on some of her profiles O.o

She's also got a few friends in Nanaimo who are local First Nations. I hope she's not going to be yet another girl on the #MMIW list because this is going to suck even more

Edit 2 : yup. Our mutual friends are connected via Indigenous activists in Aus & Canada. Media keep describing her as Asian but now I'm wondering if they just assumed because of her surname

Edit 3 : link re #MMIW for anyone who doesn't know what it is

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/indigeno...mmiw-1.3048352
    Last edited by blighted star; 04-05-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Not good

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/lo...ing-1.14404943

Steven Bacon, the 53-year-old man who was believed to be with missing teen Makayla Chang has been located by police.

However, Makayla is still missing.

Const. Gary O?Brien said Bacon has spoken with police. He would not say where Bacon was located or whether he had been with Makayla or knew of her whereabouts.

?Right now we want the investigation and tips to focus on where she might be,? he said.

The 16-year-old girl was last seen in downtown Nanaimo on March 17. Police sought the public?s help in finding her, saying she might be with Bacon.

O?Brien said police have recieved numerous tips about the case.

He said investigators across the Island, the mainland and the U.S. are searching for clues to Makayla?s whereabouts. Searches have been carried out at a Bruce Avenue home and the ravine area of Colliery Dam Park.

Makayla is five-foot-one and 110 pounds with hazel eyes and hair that has been dyed red. She has glasses and multiple facial piercings and is known to change her looks with wigs and sometimes dress as a male, police said. She is believed to have been wearing a grey hoodie and multi-coloured leggings with stars and planets on them. She sometimes goes by the names Kayla and Finn.

Nanaimo RCMP ask anyone who has seen Makayla or has information about her whereabouts to call them at 250-754-2345.

Edit : & his daughter deleted her post about his history of lying/sexual abuse
    Last edited by blighted star; 04-07-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Also, I don't think I linked her missing persons pg

https://m.facebook.com/missingkaylachang/

Edit : Also ...

Comment thread here with discussions re where Steve Bacon was located (possibly Ontario) & where police searches were being conducted within the last 48 hrs by "the Trestle" on the Spruceton side of the Nanaimo river (poster says they don't know if it was related to Kayla though)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...content_filter
    Last edited by blighted star; 04-07-2017 at 10:54 PM.

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/th...teen-1.3362578

Last Updated Monday, April 10, 2017 7:04PM PDT

Nanaimo RCMP officers and a tactical team searched a house and the property next to it on Monday in connection to Makayla Chang who went missing more than three weeks ago.

Officers sifted through debris in an empty lot and searched the house at 609 Bruce Avenue.

Steven Bacon lived in the basement suite before the 16-year-old girl went missing and officers have searched it once before.

The lot is next to a house where Steven Bacon lived before Makayla Chang went missing. Apr. 10, 2017 (CTV Vancouver Island)

Makayla Chang was last seen in the Harbour City on March 17.

?It?s an ongoing investigation, lots of things to cover off,? said Cst. Gary O?Brien. ?We?re being very thorough to ensure that we haven?t missed anything.?

Officials say they know Chang stayed at Bacon?s house from time to time and they are looking for anything that would indicate the teen was there.

?Given the fact that she?s been missing for so long and looking at the circumstances behind her missing, we haven?t ruled out foul play,? O?Brien added.

The teen was last seen in the Harbour City on March 17.
    Investigators had publicly identified Bacon as someone who may have been travelling with the teen, but did not name him as a suspect.

On Thursday, RCMP said they tracked down the 53-year-old and he had spoken with police.

Mounties have received hundreds of tips in the investigation and follow up on each one, O?Brien says.

On April 2, investigators combed over Colliery Dam Park in Nanaimo in a search they confirmed was linked to the missing girl.

Police say they are in constant contact with Chang?s family and that if crews don?t complete their search, it will continue on Tuesday.

?There?s always hope regardless of whether she?s been gone three weeks or not, we?re committed to locating Makayla,? O?Brien said.

Chang is described as 5?1?, 110 pounds, with light skin and short dyed red hair. She wears glasses and has piercings in her lip and above her upper lip.

Anyone with information is asked to contact 250-754-2345 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

http://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news/...-nanaimo-teen/

Dolly Chang has a calendar page for the month of March laying on her kitchen table.

Black fine-tip marker notations on each day chronicle her granddaughter Makayla?s life, as best Dolly can ascertain, from text messages and phone conversations ? where Makayla said she was, who she was with, and where she might have been going. Some squares have big X?s, others have question marks. The March 1 square marks Makayla?s 16th birthday, the age of consent when teenagers earn full right to do whatever they wish, wherever, whenever, with whomever.

March 11 was the last time Dolly saw her.

March 17 was the last time a friend saw her.

?The last time she texted me was on the 19th and the last time I saw her was the 11th,? Dolly said.

In the few days before she went missing, Makayla told Dolly she?d been staying at homes of various friends, some of whom she?d been hanging out with since late summer 2016.

When Dolly tried to track down Makayla and received conflicting accounts from Makayla?s friends about to where she?d gone and with whom, Dolly contacted the police.

One of the people Makayla had contact with is Steve Bacon, 53, who Dolly confirmed lives at 609 Bruce Ave. and that Makayla had visited there.

?On the news programs they keep saying that Makayla was living there, and she wasn?t,? Dolly said. ?I know I haven?t seen her a lot, but she was lying to me, telling me she was with girlfriends and that and she maybe was there, but it sorta looks bad for me. Why would that grandmother allow her to live there? And I didn?t, you know, I didn?t.?

Const. Gary O?Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman, said Bacon has ?spoken freely with investigators.? Police have never said Bacon is a suspect nor person of interest and won?t comment about particulars of the case, including what might have turned up from a search of properties at 608 and 609 Bruce Ave. on Monday.

?We?re being thorough,? O?Brien said. ?We?ve searched the residence prior. We searched it again with use of the tactical team to ensure that nothing was missed and anything of evidentiary value was found and we?re not indicating what, if anything, was found during that search.?

Human failings with Makayla?s mother and father meant they couldn?t care for her so Dolly has raised Makayla since she was three. She said Makayla?s parents are extremely worried. They love her.

?My son is just beside himself,? she said.

As is common with parents and teens, Dolly and Makayla had stormy spots in their relationship. Counselling programs they attended together helped them build skills to better understand one another. Dolly acknowledges Makayla?s weaknesses and strengths.

?She was very good to her friends. Very loyal to her friends,? Dolly said. ?She?s a very loyal girl, to the point of going against me. I used to say, ?Honey, you have to fix yourself first before you can help, you know, but they?re just so into their friends and I understand that.?

If anyone has any information on Makayla?s whereabouts, please contact Nanaimo RCMP at 250-754-2345 or anonymously through Crime Stoppers at 1-877-222-8477 or www.nanaimocrimestoppers.com.

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/it...-out-1.3366662

'It?s been unbearable': Jailed father of missing Nanaimo teen speaks out

The father of missing 16-year-old Makayla Chang says his daughter is either being held against her will or she?s dead.

Kerry Chang is currently serving a sentence at the Vancouver Island Regional Correctional Centre and has applied for a temporary absence so that he can help search for his daughter who disappeared almost a month ago.

?It?s been unbearable,? Kerry said in a phone interview. ?I am on the verge of a mental collapse.?

Kerry Chang has applied for a temporary absence so that he can help search for his daughter who disappeared almost a month ago.

The 48-year-old man is serving a six month sentence for a firearms related charge and has 32 days left behind bars.

?I just need to get out to be with my wife, she?s falling to pieces,? he said.

On Monday RCMP officers scoured two Nanaimo lots and searched the home where 53-year-old Steven Bacon was living and where Makayla stayed occasionally.

Mounties believed Makayla may have been travelling with Bacon and last week they tracked him down, but there was so sign of the Nanaimo teen.

?I met him one time when I told him to stay the hell away from my daughter,? Kerry said. ?I had bad feelings then.?

The Vancouver Island man says he was told by investigators that Bacon is in Thunder Bay, Ont.

RCMP would not confirm that information with CTV News.

For the past 13 years Makayla was raised by her grandmother, but Kerry says the two had a close relationship.

?I feel very bad being in here right now, I feel that if I wasn?t in here this wouldn?t be happening because she would?ve been with me,? Kerry said.

Makayla was last seen in the Harbour City on March 17.

Mounties have received hundreds of tips in the investigation and say they follow up on each one.

Kerry says he?s holding on to hope that his daughter will be found alive.

?I just want her back so badly, God I?m so scared something bad has happened to her,? he added.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/lo...een-1.15014754

Jailed father feels ?helpless? in search for missing teen
    Katie DeRosa / Times Colonist

APRIL 12, 2017 06:00 AM

Makayla Chang, 16, of Nanaimo, was last seen on March 17. Photograph By Submitted
    The father of missing teen Makayla Chang desperately wants to help in the search for his daughter, but there?s one thing stopping him: He?s behind bars.

Related
    Vanished: Foul play suspected, grandmother clings to hope
    Nanaimo RCMP search property in case of missing teen
    Man thought to be with teen found; girl still missing
    House searched as police look for missing Nanaimo teen
    Kerry Chang has 33 days left in his six-month sentence for firearms-related charges. He has asked for a humanitarian release so he can be with his wife, who has been in agony in the three weeks since Makayla?s disappearance. His request has been denied, leaving him frustrated.

?I feel completely helpless here,? said Chang, speaking on the phone from the Vancouver Island Regional Correctional Centre in Saanich. ?If I wasn?t imprisoned, there?s a very good chance this wouldn?t be going on right now, because she would be with me.? Chang feels he would have been able to protect Makayla.

Chang, who has been in and out of jail much of his life, was convicted of possession of a firearm contrary to a court order and taking or occupying a vehicle without the owner?s consent. Chang is honest about his drug addiction, the reason why Makayla, 16, was raised by his mother, Dolly Chang.

Chang said he and his wife, Janine Vaultour, who has also struggled with addiction, wanted to give Makayla the best chance in life.

Vaultour did not want to comment.

?She was not involved in drugs, not to my knowledge at all,? Chang said of his daughter. ?I have been involved in the drug scene, so I would know if she was around that.?

Makayla was last seen on March 17 in downtown Nanaimo. She has not been heard from or been on social media since then.

Chang is fearing the worst.

?Without a doubt in my mind, she?s being held against her will or she?s been killed,? he said. ?I hate to think the latter, but time is critical right now.?

Chang said he and Vaultour lost their first daughter to sudden infant death syndrome 20 years ago. ?So this is quite overwhelming, to have to go through this again.?

He said he met Steven Bacon, the man Nanaimo RCMP believes has information on Makayla?s whereabouts, a year ago.

Chang said Bacon told him that Makayla reminded him of a daughter who died and whom he called ?baby bird,? a pet name he was known to call Makayla. However, Bacon?s daughter Allison said he?s long been telling this falsehood, that she is dead.

?I said: ?Stay away from my daughter, I don?t like what you?re about,? ? Chang recalled. ?Over the months he was able to manipulate my daughter.?

He worries that Bacon tried to step in as a father figure to Makayla.

Makayla has two older half brothers, one of whom was arrested because he was parked outside of Bacon?s house for four days when Nanaimo RCMP were searching for Bacon. ?He was sitting in a truck waiting for this guy to come home. The police were also watching. They arrested him and took him into custody.?

On April 6, Mounties located Bacon and spoke with him. Police have not said where he is or whether he co-operated with investigators.

Bacon has not been charged.

Chang said Makayla was honest with her parents, confiding in them when she smoked pot. ?We had a relationship where she knew she could come to us with anything, especially her grandmother.?

He said Makayla has supportive friends who care about her. ?They were a tight group of friends and there?s a big hole there with her gone.?

Chang said the last time he saw Makayla, right before his jail sentence started, the two went shopping for hair dye. Makayla loves to change her hairstyle and was experimenting with her identity, sometimes wearing her hair short and dressing in men?s clothes.

?We walked the Swy-a-Lana Lagoon, got some ice cream, just enjoyed our time,? he said. ?She?s my daughter and I love her with all my heart.?

Still no sign of Kayla but this article confirms that for some reason Steve Bacon reported her missing without ever checking to see if she was at home with her grandmother.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/lo...ope-1.15014755

Vanished: Foul play suspected, grandmother clings to hope

APRIL 12, 2017 06:00

Dolly Chang, grandmother of Makayla Chang, sitting in her Nanaimo home. "Makayla is so stubborn," the grandmother says. "She believed what her friends said. She wouldn't listen to me. I warned her lots of times."

NANAIMO — When she turned on the news Monday night, Dolly Chang was devastated to hear that the RCMP suspect foul play in the disappearance of her granddaughter Makayla.

“My God,” said Chang, her eyes brimming with tears.

“I’ve been trying to be positive, hoping she’s just doing her 16-year-old thing. But her social media stuff has gone quiet. No one has heard from her.”

The last time Chang saw Makayla was March 11. The last text she received from the petite, red-headed teen, who was normally glued to her iPhone, was on March 19.

Chang’s daughter, Tina, has travelled to Nanaimo to be with her mother, as they wait for word on what’s happened to Makayla.

“I’ve been walking in circles,” said Chang, seated at the kitchen table in her well-kept home in the Sea Breeze Mobile Home Park.

“The first couple of weeks were horrible because I was by myself. When I went out and came back home, I expected to see Makayla here, or walk through the door, or call me: ‘Grandma, can you pick me up in Harewood?’ It didn’t happen.”

On March 22, when she hadn’t heard from Makayla in three days — which had never happened before — Chang went to the Tim Hortons on Wallace Street where Makayla spent much of her time.

The teens there told her that Steven Michael Bacon, a 53-year-old Nanaimo man who had befriended Makayla, had gone to the police station to report her missing.

“He had no right to do that,” Chang said.

“I went up there, too. He told me outside the police station: ‘You might as well know, Makayla’s been staying at my place for the last two months.’ I didn’t know that so I was really, really mad.”

Makayla has lived with Chang since she was three years old. Both of her parents struggle with addiction. Her mother, who has helped with the search, lives in Nanaimo. Her father Kerry is serving time at the Vancouver Island Regional Correctional Centre in Saanich.

This year, just before her March 1 birthday, Makayla started saying “Just wait until I turn 16. I can go do what I want, see who I want, live with who I want,” Chang recalled.

“She was doing a lot of lying to me, saying she was staying at a girlfriend’s place when I guess she was at Steve’s.”

There is no love lost between Chang and Bacon. Chang feels Makayla’s relationship with him is inappropriate. She said Bacon was preying on Makayla, supplying her with cigarettes, buying her things, promising her a dog. Bacon was always at the Tim Hortons sitting with the kids. “I hated him so much. I’ve been complaining about him since last June.”

Chang has a letter Bacon sent to Makayla. The three-page handwritten letter begins “My Dearest Baby Bird.” Bacon calls Makayla “the most precious person he has ever known” and says he wants to adopt Makayla. He says she reminds him of a daughter he lost.

“The happiness of having you in my life and the total and unconditional love is the same as if you were my own child,” writes Bacon.

In August, Chang complained about Bacon to the Nanaimo RCMP, but was told there was not much they could do.

Chang and her daughter Tina are remembering Makayla as a girl who made friends easily, loved singing and once brought home a pot-bellied pig.

“She’s a total drama queen,” said Chang. “She went to school to socialize, not for academics.”

“But she was the most naive and gullible little girl you’d ever meet,” added Tina.

Chang got her into three different high schools in the past year, but Makayla didn’t stick it out.

On the first day of her last school, she wore a wig and a tuque and someone called her a crack head, so she didn’t go back.

“Makayla is so stubborn. She believed what her friends said. She wouldn’t listen to me. I warned her lots of times,” said Chang.

Makayla was last seen in downtown Nanaimo on March 17. At first, police were searching for both Chang and Bacon. On April 5, Nanaimo RCMP said they had located Bacon. Police did not say where Bacon was or whether he knew of Makayla’s whereabouts.

Police have searched the ravine area of Colliery Dam and Cat Stream Park. The RCMP and a tactical team have executed search warrants twice at 609 Bruce Ave. where Bacon lived in the basement suite and Makayla was known to stay. On Monday, police searched both inside and outside the property. They also searched a vacant property at 601 Bruce Ave.

Given the amount of time that she has been missing and the circumstances surrounding her disappearance, foul play cannot be ruled out, said an RCMP press release.

Looks like everyone's asking the same questions about Steve Bacon reporting her missing.

http://www.cheknews.ca/missing-nanai...-month-302261/

Missing Nanaimo teen?s father wants her to know he?ll be out of jail next month
    Posted By: Kendall Hansonon: April 12, 2017In: CHEK, News
    Chang says his request to be released, while his daughter is missing, has been denied

Kerry Chang admits he hasn?t been a model father. He and his wife have struggled with drug and alcohol addiction for years. But he?s always loved Makayla.

?My daughter is everything in my world,? says Chang, on the phone from inside Wilkinson Road Jail. ?Her absence has left a big hole in us and we?re just hoping we can find her and bring her back home.?

Chang has a lengthy criminal record. He was last sentenced at the Nanaimo Courthouse March 16th for having a loaded gun in his car. RCMP say Makayla was last seen four days later.

?Her being missing right now is the only thing that?s on my mind,? says Chang. ?It?s just destroying me right now, being incarcerated. I feel helpless as I?ve ever been in my life.?

As for his thoughts about Steven Bacon, the 57 year-old his daughter spent time with.

?I didn?t know him. I met him on the one occasion where I told him stay away from my daughter,? says Chang. ?He came across as a creep. I told my daughter to stay away from him but unfortunately i think he persuaded her otherwise. It?s been three weeks that she?s been missing and we?re no closer to knowing her whereabouts.?

Chang says when his mother Dollie went to report Makayla missing she ran into Bacon at the police station.

The 57-year old was also there to tell RCMP that the teen had vanished.

?My question is why wouldn?t he check with my mom first before he would ever report her missing? But while they were arguing in the police station in the office I guess a police officer came out and took my mom into the back and Steven Bacon scooted out the doors and that was the last they had seen of him until they found him in Thunder Bay, Ontario.?

Thunder Bay is where Bacon was convicted of a sex assault in 1992 before spending 4 years in prison. Nanaimo RCMP will not confirm where Bacon is now.

Chang says he?s tried to get out of jail, on compassionate grounds, to support his family while Makayla is missing, without success. He has a message for his daughter.

?Where ever she may be fight, kick, scratch, bite do whatever you have to do to get away from whoever is holding you back because I know somebody?s holding her back.?

A plea from a father anxious to see his daughter again. Chang is set to be released May 14th.

They found a body believed to be hers.

http://www.cheknews.ca/breaking-miss...d-dead-318472/

Nanaimo RCMP say they’ve found the body of missing Nanaimo teen Makayla Chang and believe she was murdered.

She was last seen in Nanaimo on March 17. She was reported missing by her family on March 22.

Police are now investigating Chang’s apparent death as a homicide; they do not believe the public is at risk. The Nanaimo Serious Crime Unit is leading the investigation.

“This remains a priority investigation with dedicated resources tasked with determining the circumstances surrounding the disappearance and murder of Chang,” Nanaimo RCMP said in a statement.

At one point a report suggested she might have travelled as far as Montreal, but police discounted that report.

In early April, police located Steven Bacon, the 53 year old believed to have been with 16-year-old Chang when she disappeared.

A police spokesman would not say where Bacon was located or whether he had been with Chang or knew of her whereabouts.

Her grandmother told CTV News that Chang spent time with Bacon on and off but that she warned her against accepting gifts from him. The police searched Bacon’s Nanaimo home, a basement suite, more than once.

According to the Victoria Times Colonist, in the days following her disappearance, police received hundreds of tips.

Bacon’s daughter, Allison Bacon, told the Times Colonist in early April she has not seen her father for two years but was concerned that he might not be mentally stable.

She said she was told that her father has said that his daughter killed herself, and that he was calling Chang by a pet name he called Allison as a child.

“[He] even went so far as to call her ‘baby bird,’ which is what he called me. I just want this girl home safe and back to her grandmother,” she said.

Police said Chang’s family “is asking for privacy during this difficult time.”

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...rch-found-dead

Damn.

I hope they didn't let that creepy, lying bastard take off again in the meantime.

I've been following this case rather closely because it's not too far from me and I'd bet my last dollar Steven Bacon had something to do with Makayla's death.

Everyone seemed useless in this girl's life.

http://www.cheknews.ca/demolition-of...begins-351309/

Crews have begun demolition work on the Nanaimo home where murdered teen Makayla Chang was last seen alive. Skye Ryan reports.

Construction crews have begun demolition work on the Nanaimo home where slain teen Makayla Chang was last seen alive.

The 16-year-old girl disappeared in March and was found dead in May after an extensive search in the Nanaimo area. Police are treating her death as a homicide.

Makayla's father, Kerry Chang, hopes her still-unsolved death won't disappear from people's thoughts along with the house.

Setting foot on the soon to be levelled property, where his murdered 16-year-old daughter was last seen alive, gives Kerry chills.

"Yeah It's haunting," said Kerry. "This is the last place where she was really known to be so. From here this is really where this whole story begins."

However, not even Makayla's family knows where her body was found in May. Chang says RCMP are still giving them no answers.

"Not knowing how it ended for her, did she suffer, what and by who. For me that's the most bothersome part is that somebody is out amongst us who is a killer. Who is a killer of a child," said Chang.

As demolition crews prepare to tear down the now infamous Nanaimo house that was the focus of the RCMP search for the teen, a steady stream of people is coming by to take a look.

"It's hard, it's really hard," says Nanaimo resident Joe Fort.

The house is Joe Fort's childhood home. The Nanaimo man even assisted RCMP's extensive search of the property in March since he knew all the nooks and crannies of the house and lot that he'd played on since he was 6 years old.

On July 31, the house will be torn down to pave way for a mall. Others are welcoming the change as it now stands as a daily sad reminder of Makayla in the neighbourhood. Kerry wants to see it go too but hopes his daughter's story isn't forgotten with it since so many questions about what happened to her are still unanswered.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    http://www.cheknews.ca/demolition-of...begins-351309/

However, not even Makayla's family knows where her body was found in May. Chang says RCMP are still giving them no answers.

"Not knowing how it ended for her, did she suffer, what and by who. For me that's the most bothersome part is that somebody is out amongst us who is a killer. Who is a killer of a child," said Chang.

Is this weird to anyone else? If someone is murdered wouldn't they ask the family if they knew of any reason the victim would be in/knew somebody in the area?
    I can be your *ADDICTION* if you wanna get hooked on something!!

I think they found her somewhere associated with Bacon or somewhere that it is obvious what she was doing there.

Thread Information