Thread: Video-Game Obsessed Couple let Kids Starve!!!

Video-Game Obsessed Couple let Kids Starve!!!

The children of Michael and Iana Straw, a boy age 22 months and a girl age 11 months, were severely malnourished and near death last month when doctors saw them after social workers took them to a hospital, authorities said. Both children are doing well and gaining weight in foster care, prosecutor Kelli Ann Viloria told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

more at article

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289331,00.html

Mom's Myspace:
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=90738735

I'll be leaving comments on her blog later.
    A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter.

Re: Video-Game Obsessed Couple let Kids Starve!!!

This might get merged.  :lol:

these two need to be sterilized, they are ridiculous!!!
    The little girl's head needed to be shaved because it was so badly matted WITH CAT URINE!!!! She was lying in CAT URINE!!!
    I have no words...

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/internet-obsessed-couple-let-kids-starve/20070715195409990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Internet-Obsessed Couple Let Kids Starve
    AP
    Posted: 2007-07-15 19:54:48
    RENO, Nev. (July 15) - A couple who authorities say were so obsessed with the Internet and video games that they left their babies starving and suffering other health problems have pleaded guilty to child neglect.

The children of Michael and Iana Straw, a boy age 22 months and a girl age 11 months, were severely malnourished and near death last month when doctors saw them after social workers took them to a hospital, authorities said. Both children are doing well and gaining weight in foster care, prosecutor Kelli Ann Viloria told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

Michael Straw, 25, and Iana Straw, 23, pleaded guilty Friday to two counts each of child neglect. Each faces a maximum 12-year prison sentence.

Viloria said the Reno couple were too distracted by online video games, mainly the fantasy role-playing "Dungeons & Dragons" series, to give their children proper care.

"They had food; they just chose not to give it to their kids because they were too busy playing video games," Viloria told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

Police said hospital staff had to shave the head of the girl because her hair was matted with cat urine. The 10-pound girl also had a mouth infection, dry skin and severe dehydration.

Her brother had to be treated for starvation and a genital infection. His lack of muscle development caused him difficulty in walking, investigators said.

The Straws have been given public defenders. Jeremy Bosler, head of the county public defender's office, declined to comment to The Associated Press on Saturday.

Michael Straw is an unemployed cashier, and his wife worked for a temporary staffing agency doing warehouse work, according to court records. He received a $50,000 inheritance that he spent on computer equipment and a large plasma television, authorities said.

While child abuse because of drug addiction is common, abuse rooted in video game addiction is rare, Viloria said.

Last month, experts at an American Medical Association meeting backed away from a proposal to designate video game addiction as a mental disorder, saying it had to be studied further. Some said the issue is like alcoholism, while others said there was no concrete evidence it's a psychological disease.

Patrick Killen, spokesman for Nevada Child Abuse Prevention, said video game addiction's correlation to child abuse is "a new spin on an old problem."

"As we become more technologically advanced, there's more distractions," Killen said. "It's easy for someone to get addicted to something and neglect their children. Whether it's video games or meth, it's a serious issue, and (we) need to become more aware of it."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
    2007-07-15 19:54:48

(oh!! and as for that last statement... more techologically advanced leading to more distractions... THATS GARBAGE!!!! technology should be helping us SPEND MORE time with our kids!!!! we dont have to hunt, skin, seed, plant, plow, harvest our food.. we dont have weave, sew, river wash our clothes - we dont have to milk the cow or collect the eggs!!! Technology shouldnt distract from PARENTING!!! only stupid people allow that shit to happen,.. if not video games, then it would have been tv, if not that then it would be alcohol, drugs, or gambling - bottom line - these fuckers were just bad parents/people)

Yes, it is horrible. This is the third time this has been posted.
    "Bullet in the brain pan, squish."

my bad - i tried looking for it.  crap.

the powers that be - delete me - my sincerest apologies. 

i started this thread too.
    I hope it gets merged.

at the very least i hope this is a wake up call for these incredibly retarded people.

oops. I looked and didn't see a thread already.  :oops:

i commented on her blog. so has other angry peole - someone even posted the article.

[quote author=CrAzY JaY link=topic=8733.msg460401#msg460401 date=1184561567]
    i commented on her blog. so has other angry peole - someone even posted the article.
    [/quote]

Nice. I didn't see that earlier. I hope she gets the chance to read them.
    "Bullet in the brain pan, squish."

I thought I locked this so it could be moved to the Removed Topics board since there was a shitload of threads about this story already.

Who usurped my powers? 

:-D

Thread Information