Thread: Yareni Rios-Gonzalez (20) Hit By Train While Handcuffed In Police Car

Yareni Rios-Gonzalez (20) Hit By Train While Handcuffed In Police Car

This cop should've been immediately fired not on paid leave. Yareni should buy a big house with the money she's about to receive. Get that money, girlfriend!

https://atlantablackstar.com/2022/09...edium=news_tab

?Frantically Trying to Get Out?: Colorado Officer Placed on Leave After 20-Year-Old Woman Was Hit By a Freight Train While She Was Handcuffed In His Patrol Car Parked on Tracks

Posted By Nicole Duncan-Smith | September 24, 2022

A young Colorado woman detained by police was seriously injured after getting hit by a freight train as she sat in the back of a patrol car. The cop, who parked his car on the train tracks, has been placed on paid leave as officials investigate the accident.

On Friday, Sept. 16, Yareni Rios-Gonzalez was taken into custody by an officer from the Platteville Police Department on suspicion of felony menacing, possibly an act of road rage in Fort Lupton, Colorado, involving a gun. Once he detained her, he placed the young woman in the back of his cruiser.

The cop left the 20-year-old in his squad car, which was parked on the train track crossing near U.S. 85 and County Road 38, north of Platteville, near Denver, to join Fort Lupton officers to search the woman?s vehicle that she parked a few feet away from the tracks, NBC News reports

While the police officer and two other cops from the Fort Lupton Police department searched Rios-Gonzalez?s truck, a train traveling northbound struck the patrol car with the suspect in it, leaving the Greely, Colorado, resident in serious condition.

A video of the incident has been released. It shows one officer shouting at another, ?move your car? before the other cop looks at the car, turns to look at the train, and then walks off the tracks just before the locomotive smashes into the police cruiser.

The TSA agent sustained nine broken ribs, a fractured sternum, a broken arm, and many other injuries to her head, back, and legs. Though her injuries are severe, a report on Sunday, Sept. 18, said she was expected to live.

The young woman has now secured an attorney, who said his client was ?frantically? trying to escape the vehicle.

?She was frantically trying to get out,? personal injury lawyer Paul Wilkinson told 9NEWS in an interview. ?Of course, the doors were locked.?

He continued, ?She?s definitely upset about what happened. She doesn?t understand why she was left in the car. She was yelling to get their attention and could see the train coming.?

Law and Crime reports that Platteville Police Chief Carl Dwyer did not reveal the officer?s name or any additional information regarding the collision, but shared he was placed on paid leave.

?The Town of Platteville continues to work cooperatively with CBI and CSP during their investigation regarding this incident,? he shared with FOX 31.

911 calls help piece together what lead to Rios-Gonzalez being placed in the patrol.

The person who initiated the call claimed a woman in a silver Toyota Tundra truck ?pulled a gun? on the caller during a tailgating event.

Three agencies (FLPD, Weld County?s Sheriff Officer, and PPD) were looking for the silver truck, with the latter locating a vehicle that fit the description first.

The Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) said in a statement, ?The driver of the vehicle pulled to a stop just past the railroad tracks, with the patrol officer behind the car on the tracks.?

It further read, ?Two Ft. Lupton officers arrived on the scene and the team conducted a high-risk traffic stop and detained a lone female occupant (age 20, Greeley) placing her in the back of the Platteville patrol car detained on suspicion of felony menacing.?

?While the officers cleared the suspect vehicle as part of the investigation, a train traveling northbound struck the PPD patrol car,? it continued.

The CBI also stated the officers performed life-saving measures on Rios-Gonzales after the crash, before she was taken to the hospital.

Chatter captured on the radio recording, secured by KUSA, suggests the officers on the scene held Rios-Gonzalez ?at gunpoint.? But that was not revealed in the CBI?s report.

The radio chatter also captures the frantic moments after the accident.

One officer from Ft. Lupton says, ?Dispatch, Lupton 346: patrol car was just hit by a train.?

?Dispatch, Lupton 346: get medical emergent [sic],? the cop continued. ?The suspect was in the vehicle that was hit by the train.?

?Copy,? the dispatcher replied.

The officer whose car was struck said, ?Just advising ? we can?t get the doors open on the unit, and the female passenger is inside my unit.?

A bifurcated approach will be taken during the investigations of this incident.

The CBI has launched an investigation into Rios-Gonzalez. The Fort Lupton Police Department is investigating the initial 911 call that prompted the search for the truck. Lastly, the Colorado State Patrol is looking into the ?serious-injury traffic accident? caused by the train ramming into the car.

Ed Obayashi, a California sheriff deputy, who specializes as a police tactics expert said he could not ?fathom? why the officer would park his patrol vehicle on the tracks and believed the negligence opens the department up to a civil lawsuit.

?I can?t fathom why he would leave his vehicle on the tracks with the subject inside. Why didn?t you move the vehicle off the tracks? That?s going to be the biggest question,? he said.

?Those who are in your custody,? the expert continued. ?You?ve detained them or they?re in the back of your patrol car, you have a duty of care towards that subject,? the expert posited. ?In other words, since you have assumed control, physical control, over them and their movements, you are by definition responsible to protect them in any situation."
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    WTF. WHY is he on PAID leave? Why are ANY of them EVER. What an asshole. And I hope she sues, but it's a shame that it's tax payer money and not out of pocket. They need to switch that around to be a personal responsibility when sued. Watch how fucking fast these assholes straighten out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I want to know how she survived that. Damn shes got a long road ahead. I hope she gets a lot of money.

For the idiot that parked on a train track you are fucked

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

WTF. WHY is he on PAID leave? Why are ANY of them EVER. What an asshole. And I hope she sues, but it's a shame that it's tax payer money and not out of pocket. They need to switch that around to be a personal responsibility when sued. Watch how fucking fast these assholes straighten out.
    The money should come out of the police department's funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I want to know how she survived that. Damn shes got a long road ahead. I hope she gets a lot of money.

For the idiot that parked on a train track you are fucked
    Hopefully, she scooted to the side furthest away from the train.
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    The money should come out of the police department's funds.
    It will come from liability insurance that the city holds. If they self insure it will come out of that fund. I used to work in accounting for a city government and saw how they paid out lawsuit settlements.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    It will come from liability insurance that the city holds. If they self insure it will come out of that fund. I used to work in accounting for a city government and saw how they paid out lawsuit settlements.
    Shes going to have hefty medical bills, they better at least pay those.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

GFM: https://www.gofundme.com/f/yareni-ri...train-injuries

https://apnews.com/article/colorado-...cf1dd817069e12

A Colorado police officer who put a handcuffed woman in a parked police vehicle that was hit by a freight train was found guilty of reckless endangerment and assault but was acquitted of a third charge of criminal attempt to commit manslaughter during a trial Friday.
    The other officer, Pablo Vazquez, who worked for the police department in nearby Platteville, is being prosecuted for misdemeanor counts of reckless endangerment and traffic offenses. He hasn’t entered a plea yet. His lawyer, Reid Elkus, didn’t immediately respond to a request by phone for comment.
    https://apnews.com/article/legal-pro...4474e1a05510b6

Woman who survived train crash into patrol car sues police

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    She better get a shitload of money from that crap. I'd rather the tax dollars go to her care than in to the hands of incompetent cops that only care about themselves and don't value human life.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I hope she gets a lot of money.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/16/us/co...ion/index.html

A police officer in Colorado who placed a handcuffed suspect into a police SUV that was then hit by a train, was sentenced to supervised probation and public service, her attorney said.

Fort Lupton officer Jordan Steinke will serve 30 months of supervised probation and 100 hours of public service, according to attorney Mallory A. Revel.

In July, Judge Timothy Kerns found the former officer guilty of reckless endangerment and third-degree assault, but found her not guilty of a felony charge of criminal attempt to commit manslaughter, CNN previously reported.

Thread Information