Thread: Norwegian walrus Freya euthanized

Norwegian walrus Freya euthanized

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/14/world...rnd/index.html

The Norwegian government euthanized its celebrity walrus Freya on early Sunday morning, after warning the public to stay away from her.

"The decision to euthanize the walrus was made based on an overall assessment of the continued threat to human safety," said Frank Bakke-Jensen, the director general at the Norwegian Directorate of Fisheries, in a news release.

Freya became a social media sensation this summer, Rune Aae, who teaches biology at the University of South-Eastern Norway and manages a Google map of Freya sightings, told CNN. The young female walrus had been spending time at the Oslo Fjord, an inlet on the country's southeastern coast, and was seemingly unafraid of humans, unlike most walruses. Several popular videos show the walrus clambering onto small boats to sunbathe.

In the past week, the directorate warned the public to stay away from Freya, saying that they had observed visitors swimming with Freya, throwing objects at her, and getting dangerously close to her to take photos. "The public has disregarded the current recommendation to keep a clear distance to the walrus," Nadia Jdaini, spokesperson for the Norwegian Directorate of Fisheries, told CNN in an email.

Previously, the directorate told CNN that it was considering multiple solutions, including relocating Freya out of the fjord. But "the extensive complexity of such an operation made us conclude that this was not a viable option," Bakke-Jensen said in the news release.

"We have sympathies for the fact that the decision can cause reactions with the public, but I am firm that this was the right call," Bakke-Jensen continued. "We have great regard for animal welfare, but human life and safety must take precedence." The directorate included a photos of a large crowd seemingly just feet away from Freya in its release.

Female walruses weigh between 600 and 900 kilograms, or around 1,300 to 2,000 pounds, said Jdaini. There are over 25,000 Atlantic walruses making their homes in the icy waters around Canada, Greenland, Norway and Russia, according to the World Wildlife Fund. The marine mammals migrate along the coast to feed on mollusks and other invertebrates in shallow waters.

Usually, the marine mammals are wary of humans and stay on the outer edges of Norway's coast. Aae, the biology professor tracking Freya sightings, said that the last time a walrus was documented this far south in the North Sea was 2013. "It's not common at all," he said -- which led crowds of Norwegians flocking to see Freya.

"Normally, walruses will show up on some islands, but they will leave quite soon, because they're afraid of people," said Aae.

But Freya "is not afraid of people," he said. "Actually, I think she likes people. So that's why she's not leaving."

In a Facebook post after Freya's death was announced, Aae condemned the directorate's decision to euthanize her as "too hasty." He said that fisheries staff were monitoring her with a patrol boat to ensure the public's safety and that she would likely leave the fjord soon, as she had on her previous visits in the spring.

Freya would have "sooner or later gotten out of the Oslofjord, which all previous experience has shown, so euthanasia was, in my view, completely unnecessary," he wrote.
    "What a shame!"

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I fucking hate people. They killed this poor girl because people wouldn't fucking listen. This is a disgrace
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I fucking hate people. They killed this poor girl because people wouldn't fucking listen. This is a disgrace
    Yep. Worst thing you can do to a wild animal is to "tame" them. Fear is a gift. Animals need to keep that healthy fear of humans, humans need to stay a safe distance from even little cute wild animals. Chipmunks aren't suitable pets, still, less so Walrus' Someone is going to end up paying the ultimate price.

A woman was gored by a buffalo in Custer State Park in May. She is still in the hospital. May well never fully regain her mobility tragic for her, fortunately no one is going to euthanize the bull, but ...
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Yep. Worst thing you can do to a wild animal is to "tame" them. Fear is a gift. Animals need to keep that healthy fear of humans, humans need to stay a safe distance from even little cute wild animals. Chipmunks aren't suitable pets, still, less so Walrus' Someone is going to end up paying the ultimate price.

A woman was gored by a buffalo in Custer State Park in May. She is still in the hospital. May well never fully regain her mobility tragic for her, fortunately no one is going to euthanize the bull, but ...
    Same with alligators down here. They steer clear of people...unless they are human fed, then they become dangerous. People suck and nowadays everyone wants the perfect selfie and everything and everyone else be damned.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Animals need to keep that healthy fear of humans
    Because humans are the most dangerous animal on the planet, hands down. And we fucking suck. Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.

I feel like there were other options, why the hell would they kill her?? Put her in a goddamn zoo before you do that, geezus.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Very disappointed in Norwegian officials for this decision! We've had a couple of walruses chilling out around the coast of the UK in the last year or so and getting on boats, on slipways etc - including Freya, and a big male called 'Wally' - and aside from a few fools people generally left them alone when advised to, and they always move on eventually.

Such a shame. Innocent walrus didnt do anything wrong.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    This is so sad. People suck.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/f...rage-rcna43073

The decision to euthanize Freya, Norway’s beloved celebrity walrus, brought an abrupt end to her summer of stardom.

Now her death has provoked public outrage and renewed long-standing concerns about how the Scandinavian country treats its wildlife and natural resources.

The 1,300-pound marine mammal — who shares her name with the Norse goddess of fertility and love — had enthralled the public for months as she traveled the nation’s coastline, crushing small boats with her hefty frame. But Freya was suddenly put down Sunday over concerns for her welfare and the risk to the crowds that flocked to see her in Oslo's fjord region, the Norwegian Directorate of Fisheries said in a statement on its website.

The government body said it feared the animal could injure or kill one of the many people who had been gathering just feet away to take photos, throw objects and even swim in the water near Freya as she bathed in the sun or slept.

“I am firm that this was the right call. We have great regard for animal welfare, but human life and safety must take precedence,” Frank Bakke-Jensen, the director general of fisheries, said Sunday.

After initially calling euthanasia "out of the question," the directorate had warned last week that the drastic step was being considered unless the public stayed away from Freya.

Norwegian headlines on Monday nonetheless expressed shock in the wake of the decision. "Rage after Freya’s death," read the front page of the popular Dagbladet newspaper, with the broadcaster TV2 decrying that she was "killed by her audience."

"This is Norway in a nutshell," said Rune Aae, a biologist who had been tracking Freya’s journey around northern Europe.

"Too often we kill the animals we don’t like or can’t cope with. It's an outrage in Norway how we are treating these kind of animals," said Aae, who is also a doctoral student in science didactics at the University of South-Eastern Norway.

Freya had not shown signs of stress, he said, but instead seemed curious about people. He criticized authorities for not blocking off the areas where the walrus spent the most time, or trying to move her, despite fears that she could drown if an attempt to tranquilize her failed.

Even a fatal attempt to move her would have been better than euthanasia, he said.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    Yeah I feel like killing her was a bit hasty here....if someone got injured by her then it's their fault, just like the point with the bison here, they don't kill the bison....we also have some crazy elk and they aren't killed. I mean we even had a bear do a little bit of shopping in our local grocery store and she was easily relocated.

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

They didn't have to kill her. That's just as wrong as the people who were bothering her, no worse, because now she's DEAD!

I remember on one of Sir David Attenbourgh specials they had walrus' diving off of a cliff because of global warming. That broke my heart. Well, come to find out they do that sometimes because of lack of room, and laziness. There may have been other reasons, but global warming wasn't one or very minor.

Thread Information