Thread: Canoga Park High teacher stabbed to death in Calabasas

Canoga Park High teacher stabbed to death in Calabasas

CALABASAS - The 25-year-old son of a Canoga Park High School math teacher was arrested today on suspicion of killing his mother with a butcher knife inside their home, authorities said.

Jesse Winnick called his sister Tuesday night after police believe he stabbed his mother, Hadas Winnick, 55, several times in the chest, said Lt. Gil Carrillo of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

"He told her she shouldn't come home because he killed mom," he said.

His sister called police around 11 p.m Tuesday to report the slaying in the affluent, hillside community not far from Mulholland Highway. It was the first in Calabasas this year.

When sheriff's deputies arrived at the well-kept home she shared with her son in the 3800 block of Declaration Avenue, they found her bloodied body. But her son had fled in his mom's car.

"It looked like an ordinary home. There was nothing that stood out of any significance," Carrillo said.

Police found the vehicle abandoned just east of De Soto Avenue on Ventura Boulevard.

Jesse Winnick then jumped into a 2007 Range Rover driven by a man deputies declined to identify. Los Angeles police and sheriff's deputies pulled over the driver at Ventura and De Soto. They found Winnick cowering in the back.

It took 30 minutes to coax him from the car, but police say he was arrested without putting up a fight and booked at the Lost Hills Sheriff's Station on suspicion of murder.

Winnick, whose page on the social networking site Facebook.com says he is a personal trainer and pharmaceutical distributor, does not have a violent arrest record, police said.

His mother was a veteran math teacher who taught Algebra I to Canoga Park High School students.

Friends and colleagues at the school described her as a fiercely dedicated teacher who built her life around her freshman and sophomore students, even authoring "GRF XRSZ," a book to help students visualize math programs. She came to the school three years ago after a stint at Mulholland Middle School.

"She stayed late and worked hard," Principal Pam Hamashita said. "She was here on Saturdays - she was very dedicated to her career. ... People are in shock right now."

Hamashita led the shaken student body in a writing exercise this morning to share its feelings and memories of Winnick. Breana Wiles posted her poem, "A dedicated teacher passes on: in loving memory of Mrs. Winnick," on the school's Web site, canogaparkhs.org.

"Mrs. Winnick although some of us did not know you/ Hearing of your passing makes us all feel blue," she wrote. "I do not understand why how someone could do such a thing/ But we sometimes don't know what life can bring."

Neighbors on her docile, nicely-maintained street mirrored her sense of bewilderment. As homicide investigators and uniformed deputies cleared the crime scene, a white-and-blue coroner's van pulled away.

"This was such a violent way to die for someone who didn't deserve this," said a neighbor, who asked to remain anonymous. "She will be missed, especially by the kids at school. They were her life."

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_7003561

Re: Canoga Park High teacher stabbed to death in Calabasas

I love those headlines that make you think it happened during school.

Bumping because I saw an episode of Evil Lives Here and this was the story. It is way crazier than this article. The sister was the one who walked in and found her mother's body. It took four years to get to trial and he even tried to accuse his sister of being the mastermind behind their mom's murder. He tried to put a hit out on his sister from prison. His first parole hearing was August 2021 where he threatened his sister and recited her address. He has another hearing next year.

More background and details in this article:

https://nypost.com/2021/05/01/my-bro...f-prison-soon/

It was a balmy September night in 2007, and Amy Chesler called the house on her way home from work at an after-school program for middle-schoolers. The recent college grad lived with her mother, Hadas Winnick, and her troubled 25-year-old brother, Jesse, in Calabasas, the wealthy LA suburb where she had grown up, and found it odd when no one answered the landline at home. After all, Hadas was a math teacher who rarely went out on school nights and Jesse had earlier seemed anxious for 22-year-old Chesler to get home so they could watch the TV show “Quantum Leap.”

So she rang Jesse’s cellphone.

“Is everything OK?” she asked when he answered.

“Don’t come home,” he said tersely.

Confused, Chesler tried the house phone again. And again and again. She dialed her brother twice more in a panic.

“Mom’s not answering,” she said when he finally picked up. “Where is she?”

Jesse’s response made her heart stop: “I killed Mom.”
    Amy Chesler says she and her mother endured abuse from her brother for 20 years.

In shock, Chesler dialed 911 and sped home. The operator told her not to enter the house.

“The killer may still be inside,” she was warned. But Chesler had already made it to the foyer. She couldn’t turn back now: She had to know if her brother was telling the truth.

As she stepped into the kitchen, and there, on the floor, was a body lying face down in a pool of blood. Her 55-year-old mother had been stabbed to death by her own brother.

“I still will flash to that image of the hilt of the knife in my mom’s shoulder,” Chesler, now 36, told The Post from her home in LA. “It makes me sick to my stomach all the time.”

Thirteen years later, Chesler is still dealing with the trauma not only of her mother’s death but of the years of abuse both she and Hadas endured at the hands of her brother. Her new memoir, “Working for Justice: One Family’s Tale of Murder, Betrayal and Healing” (Post Hill Press), out now, tells their harrowing story.

“He abused us for 20 years before the murder,” Chesler said. (Even today, Chesler cannot bring herself to say Jesse’s name, and in her book calls him “Rory”: “I did not want to honor him by writing his name,” she explained.)

While Jesse was finally convicted of second-degree murder in 2011 — after pleading no contest — with a sentence of 15 years to life in prison, plus one for the weapon, he is up for a parole hearing soon.

“I’m still scared sh-tless. I never want him to get out,” Chesler admitted. “That’s why I think it’s important to tell this story. Every time I tell this story, the more justice I feel, because I feel my mother coming back a little bit.

When he was 4 or 5, he devised a scheme where he would draw fake treasure maps, then ask Hadas to take him to the grocery store so he could sell them to people.

“My mom thought this was the cutest thing ever, but when I think about it now, he was learning to manipulate people and to lie,” said Chesler.

By that point, Hadas was a single mother raising two kids by herself; her husband, Sherman, a charismatic but alcoholic lawyer and wannabe musician, had left when Jesse was 3 and before Chesler was even born. So Hadas moved back to where she had grown up in The Valley, eventually settling in Calabasas, and got a job as a teacher there, where she quickly becoming a beloved fixture in the area.

Jesse, who always had a bulky frame, would push and shove Hadas, even when an accident had put her in a wheelchair for a while. He once called Child Protective Services on her, and lied to them, claiming Hadas physically abused him and Chesler, she said.

When he was 15, Jesse tried to commit suicide by swallowing a bottle of Extra Strength Advil after a shouting match with Hadas. When he got out of the ER, he spent two weeks in a mental rehabilitation facility for minors. Throughout his teens, he was diagnosed with various disorders, including bipolar disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder and Tourette’s.

He never seemed to get proper treatment, however. He was so abusive to doctors and teachers that they would often just give up, Chesler said.

“I think the diagnoses that were given to him around that time and his attempts and his apparent fragility — I think it might have made my mom a bit more lenient with him at times,” Chesler said.

‘I am scared. I don’t think I will never not be scared while he’s still alive.’

His behavior only escalated. He began punching holes in the wall and slashed his mom’s tires. He went after her with an aerosol can and a lighter, threatening to kill her. He began doing drugs and drinking, crashing motorcycles. He went to jail a few times.

Chesler said her brother abused her, too, once slicing her hand with a knife and blackmailing her into selling copies of “The Anarchist Cookbook” in high school (saying that if she didn’t, he would tell their mom that she skipped a test).

When Chesler was just 12, Jesse also blackmailed her into performing sex acts — with different objects — while he watched, she said.

“It took me years to realize that this was sexual abuse, since he never touched me himself,” said Chesler, adding that she never told her mother about these encounters. “I think that it really took being disconnected from him to get a perspective of how abusive that situation was. Because even in our worst moments, he was still family.”

That was why, no matter how many times Hadas called the cops on Jesse, no matter how many times she threw him out demanding that he get a job — she always invited him back, hoping that his promises of change would be true.

“I always knew my brother was capable of harm,” Chesler said. “He made that clear. I just never saw the true depth of how far the horror could go.”

As for his final murderous act, Chesler will never know exactly why he killed their mother. But the story he told was that he was eating a sandwich when Hadas had asked him to clean up the mess he had made in the kitchen. When she kept insisting, he killed her with the knife he had used to make the sandwich.

It took cops just a couple hours to track down Jesse after the murder, and he turned himself in after a 30-minute standoff on Ventura Boulevard. Yet four more years passed with him in jail before he was convicted. He couldn’t keep a lawyer, because he would hurl so much verbal abuse their way they would quit, Chesler said. He would take a certain medication and then abruptly stop using it close to a trial date, which then had to be rescheduled because he was deemed mentally unfit.

“That happened for months and months,” Chesler said. “He was just trying to exhaust me so I would give up.”

Chesler never wanted to see her brother again, but she did visit him in jail to beg him to plead guilty and accept responsibility for his actions.

During that meeting — after a long moment of awkward silence — her brother did offer an apology. “Look, Amy. I’m sorry, if that’s any consolation,” he said. He also added: “Mom visits me in here. I dream about her all the time. She forgives me.”

About three years into the process, Chesler — at this point married and working as a substitute teacher — got a visit from the lead detective on the case.

“Did you help [your brother] plan your mom’s murder?” he asked.

He went on to explain that Jesse wrote a letter to another inmate, telling him that Chesler had planned the killing with him and then stiffed him on the money from their inheritance.

MORE AT LINK

Bumping because I saw an episode of Evil Lives Here and this was the story. It is way crazier than this article. The sister was the one who walked in and found her mother's body. It took four years to get to trial and he even tried to accuse his sister of being the mastermind behind their mom's murder. He tried to put a hit out on his sister from prison. His first parole hearing was August 2021 where he threatened his sister and recited her address. He has another hearing next year.

More background and details in this article:

https://nypost.com/2021/05/01/my-bro...f-prison-soon/

It was a balmy September night in 2007, and Amy Chesler called the house on her way home from work at an after-school program for middle-schoolers. The recent college grad lived with her mother, Hadas Winnick, and her troubled 25-year-old brother, Jesse, in Calabasas, the wealthy LA suburb where she had grown up, and found it odd when no one answered the landline at home. After all, Hadas was a math teacher who rarely went out on school nights and Jesse had earlier seemed anxious for 22-year-old Chesler to get home so they could watch the TV show ?Quantum Leap.?

So she rang Jesse?s cellphone.

?Is everything OK?? she asked when he answered.

?Don?t come home,? he said tersely.

Confused, Chesler tried the house phone again. And again and again. She dialed her brother twice more in a panic.

?Mom?s not answering,? she said when he finally picked up. ?Where is she??

Jesse?s response made her heart stop: ?I killed Mom.?
    Amy Chesler says she and her mother endured abuse from her brother for 20 years.

In shock, Chesler dialed 911 and sped home. The operator told her not to enter the house.

?The killer may still be inside,? she was warned. But Chesler had already made it to the foyer. She couldn?t turn back now: She had to know if her brother was telling the truth.

As she stepped into the kitchen, and there, on the floor, was a body lying face down in a pool of blood. Her 55-year-old mother had been stabbed to death by her own brother.

?I still will flash to that image of the hilt of the knife in my mom?s shoulder,? Chesler, now 36, told The Post from her home in LA. ?It makes me sick to my stomach all the time.?

Thirteen years later, Chesler is still dealing with the trauma not only of her mother?s death but of the years of abuse both she and Hadas endured at the hands of her brother. Her new memoir, ?Working for Justice: One Family?s Tale of Murder, Betrayal and Healing? (Post Hill Press), out now, tells their harrowing story.

?He abused us for 20 years before the murder,? Chesler said. (Even today, Chesler cannot bring herself to say Jesse?s name, and in her book calls him ?Rory?: ?I did not want to honor him by writing his name,? she explained.)

While Jesse was finally convicted of second-degree murder in 2011 ? after pleading no contest ? with a sentence of 15 years to life in prison, plus one for the weapon, he is up for a parole hearing soon.

?I?m still scared sh-tless. I never want him to get out,? Chesler admitted. ?That?s why I think it?s important to tell this story. Every time I tell this story, the more justice I feel, because I feel my mother coming back a little bit.

When he was 4 or 5, he devised a scheme where he would draw fake treasure maps, then ask Hadas to take him to the grocery store so he could sell them to people.

?My mom thought this was the cutest thing ever, but when I think about it now, he was learning to manipulate people and to lie,? said Chesler.

By that point, Hadas was a single mother raising two kids by herself; her husband, Sherman, a charismatic but alcoholic lawyer and wannabe musician, had left when Jesse was 3 and before Chesler was even born. So Hadas moved back to where she had grown up in The Valley, eventually settling in Calabasas, and got a job as a teacher there, where she quickly becoming a beloved fixture in the area.

Jesse, who always had a bulky frame, would push and shove Hadas, even when an accident had put her in a wheelchair for a while. He once called Child Protective Services on her, and lied to them, claiming Hadas physically abused him and Chesler, she said.

When he was 15, Jesse tried to commit suicide by swallowing a bottle of Extra Strength Advil after a shouting match with Hadas. When he got out of the ER, he spent two weeks in a mental rehabilitation facility for minors. Throughout his teens, he was diagnosed with various disorders, including bipolar disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder and Tourette?s.

He never seemed to get proper treatment, however. He was so abusive to doctors and teachers that they would often just give up, Chesler said.

?I think the diagnoses that were given to him around that time and his attempts and his apparent fragility ? I think it might have made my mom a bit more lenient with him at times,? Chesler said.

?I am scared. I don?t think I will never not be scared while he?s still alive.?

His behavior only escalated. He began punching holes in the wall and slashed his mom?s tires. He went after her with an aerosol can and a lighter, threatening to kill her. He began doing drugs and drinking, crashing motorcycles. He went to jail a few times.

Chesler said her brother abused her, too, once slicing her hand with a knife and blackmailing her into selling copies of ?The Anarchist Cookbook? in high school (saying that if she didn?t, he would tell their mom that she skipped a test).

When Chesler was just 12, Jesse also blackmailed her into performing sex acts ? with different objects ? while he watched, she said.

?It took me years to realize that this was sexual abuse, since he never touched me himself,? said Chesler, adding that she never told her mother about these encounters. ?I think that it really took being disconnected from him to get a perspective of how abusive that situation was. Because even in our worst moments, he was still family.?

That was why, no matter how many times Hadas called the cops on Jesse, no matter how many times she threw him out demanding that he get a job ? she always invited him back, hoping that his promises of change would be true.

?I always knew my brother was capable of harm,? Chesler said. ?He made that clear. I just never saw the true depth of how far the horror could go.?

As for his final murderous act, Chesler will never know exactly why he killed their mother. But the story he told was that he was eating a sandwich when Hadas had asked him to clean up the mess he had made in the kitchen. When she kept insisting, he killed her with the knife he had used to make the sandwich.

It took cops just a couple hours to track down Jesse after the murder, and he turned himself in after a 30-minute standoff on Ventura Boulevard. Yet four more years passed with him in jail before he was convicted. He couldn?t keep a lawyer, because he would hurl so much verbal abuse their way they would quit, Chesler said. He would take a certain medication and then abruptly stop using it close to a trial date, which then had to be rescheduled because he was deemed mentally unfit.

?That happened for months and months,? Chesler said. ?He was just trying to exhaust me so I would give up.?

Chesler never wanted to see her brother again, but she did visit him in jail to beg him to plead guilty and accept responsibility for his actions.

During that meeting ? after a long moment of awkward silence ? her brother did offer an apology. ?Look, Amy. I?m sorry, if that?s any consolation,? he said. He also added: ?Mom visits me in here. I dream about her all the time. She forgives me.?

About three years into the process, Chesler ? at this point married and working as a substitute teacher ? got a visit from the lead detective on the case.

?Did you help [your brother] plan your mom?s murder?? he asked.

He went on to explain that Jesse wrote a letter to another inmate, telling him that Chesler had planned the killing with him and then stiffed him on the money from their inheritance.

MORE AT LINK

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    If there were ever a case of someone born evil, this is it. That guy must NEVER get out. If he does, she needs witness protection or to change her name and move far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Some people are born evil. This is a perfect example.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    His sister started a petition to keep him imprisoned: https://www.change.org/p/sign-to-kee...ZlZjdjNw%3D%3D

I remember watching this one, I love that show! And American Monster.

If only his suicide attempt had worked when he was a teen...

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

As for his final murderous act, Chesler will never know exactly why he killed their mother. But the story he told was that he was eating a sandwich when Hadas had asked him to clean up the mess he had made in the kitchen. When she kept insisting, he killed her with the knife he had used to make the sandwich
    What the fuck. Hes a Psychopath. Medication cant fix that.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Thread Information