Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nicolae (Nick) Miu (52) stabbed Isaac Schuman (17) to death and injured four other young adults while tubing on Wisconsin's Apple River.

He's hired Kyle Rittenhouse's attorney

https://www.startribune.com/man-char...use/600196077/

Some more details about the incident from the article:

Miu told authorities that he acted in self-defense when several people confronted him as he searched for a friend's lost cellphone Saturday in the Apple River. He said some of the people "produced two weapons," hit him and were on top of him at one point while calling him a child molester.

A key piece of evidence in the case is a video recorded by a man in a group of 20-something tubers, some of whom shoved Miu and accused him of looking for underage girls... After a few minutes, Miu fatally stabbed Schuman in the upper abdomen before stabbing or slashing the others, according to the charges. Ryhley Mattison, one of the attack's four survivors, remained in Regions Hospital in St. Paul on Friday as she recovers from a punctured lung and an injured diaphragm. The 24-year-old from the Twin Cities said she was among about a dozen friends relaxing at the river when they stepped in on behalf of a younger group that alleged Miu was making sexually suggestive comments. "My friend said [to Miu] he needed to go away, he needed to leave," Mattison said. "He ended up punching her in the face." Mattison, acknowledging that she had been drinking, continued, "Maybe I yelled at him or punched him back." She said she was in water below her waist and Miu "was just standing there, staring at me, and he lunged at me. It felt like he punched me in the side. I looked down, and I was bleeding out." Mattison said she did not know what to do and "everything else was a blur...I was pushed down the river a little bit...The cops pulled me out of the river, and they laid me down until the ambulance came."

Some points:
    Wisconsin law doesn't have an affirmative duty to retreat, but a jury is allowed to consider a failure to retreat when possible as a factor in whether deadly force was justified.
    This being the Apple River on a weekend in Wisconsin and considering what we know of the case, that we're finding alcohol was involved is the least surprising thing ever.

Preliminary hearing found enough evidence to be bound over for trial
    https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/ne...t-nicolae-miu/

People on the local Facebook groups are definately taking both sides on this one.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    The pervy asshole deleted his Facebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Starting right now. Live stream link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKGcReZs9wk

Quote Originally Posted by mdcastle View Post
    Starting right now. Live stream link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKGcReZs9wk
    I'm curious to see how this comes out. He deserves to be convicted IMHO.

My thoughts after watching the first week of the trial and keeping an open mind:

• Overall this seems to be overcharged. Legally speaking premeditation can be formed in seconds, but juries really, really want minutes, hours, or even days for a Murder 1 conviction, and tend to punish prosecutors that overcharge. IMHO this should have been charged as manslaughter or 2nd degree murder, the whole thing has a drunken bar fight vibe.

• Most of the people involved including the defendent seemed to be somewhere between "drunk as skunks" and "comotose" with regard to their BAC. The decadent had a BAC of .219 and was described as "the least drunk person on the river".

• No one disputes that Miu approached the first group of five boys and then grabbed a hold of their tubes and generally got in their way. I've seen nothing to suggest that he wasn't in fact looking for the phone that a member of his group had lost earlier. Maybe he say one of the teens holding a phone that looked like the one that was lost?

• When asked what he was doing, enough witnesses have said he said that he was "looking for little girls" that I think he really said that. My take is it was meant to be sarcastic, but the teens were too drunk to realize that and that's when they started yelling about home being a pedophile and rapist

• The whole situation seems to have been dying down until more teens and young adults from two other groups started approaching, until there were eventually 13 of them.

• The confrontation got physical off camera so we'll never know for sure what exactly happened, but it appears Maddy either touched or shoved Miu (at the very least she was waving her phone inches from his face), and then Miu either shoved, punched, or slapped Maddy. One of the boys shoves Miu hard enough to knock him down in the river, then he gets up and all hell breaks loose.

• My feeling is that there was so much chaos going on and considering the 13 on 1 situation, based on the video alone a jury won't conclude it wasn't self defense beyond a reasonable doubt, but there's a good chance he's convicted based on him acting shady afterwords. Instead of waiting for police to arrive he tries to ditch the knife and flee, and then lies to police multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcastle View Post
    My thoughts after watching the first week of the trial and keeping an open mind:

• Overall this seems to be overcharged. Legally speaking premeditation can be formed in seconds, but juries really, really want minutes, hours, or even days for a Murder 1 conviction, and tend to punish prosecutors that overcharge. IMHO this should have been charged as manslaughter or 2nd degree murder, the whole thing has a drunken bar fight vibe.

• Most of the people involved including the defendent seemed to be somewhere between "drunk as skunks" and "comotose" with regard to their BAC. The decadent had a BAC of .219 and was described as "the least drunk person on the river".

• No one disputes that Miu approached the first group of five boys and then grabbed a hold of their tubes and generally got in their way. I've seen nothing to suggest that he wasn't in fact looking for the phone that a member of his group had lost earlier. Maybe he say one of the teens holding a phone that looked like the one that was lost?

• When asked what he was doing, enough witnesses have said he said that he was "looking for little girls" that I think he really said that. My take is it was meant to be sarcastic, but the teens were too drunk to realize that and that's when they started yelling about home being a pedophile and rapist

• The whole situation seems to have been dying down until more teens and young adults from two other groups started approaching, until there were eventually 13 of them.

• The confrontation got physical off camera so we'll never know for sure what exactly happened, but it appears Maddy either touched or shoved Miu (at the very least she was waving her phone inches from his face), and then Miu either shoved, punched, or slapped Maddy. One of the boys shoves Miu hard enough to knock him down in the river, then he gets up and all hell breaks loose.

• My feeling is that there was so much chaos going on and considering the 13 on 1 situation, based on the video alone a jury won't conclude it wasn't self defense beyond a reasonable doubt, but there's a good chance he's convicted based on him acting shady afterwords. Instead of waiting for police to arrive he tries to ditch the knife and flee, and then lies to police multiple times.
    This is an excellent observation.

They definitely overcharged and because of that he will be found Not Guilty. Why they didn't go for Manslaughter instead, I don't know. The fact remains that a dude going to the beach carrying a glock and a knife like he had was always going to be looking for a fight. It's demented as all fuck to carry not just one, but both deadly weapons with you for a trip to the beach. He has some serious issues and I believe that he's a danger to the public.

Thread Information