Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Charles Hew Crooks (23) died after jumping or falling from an airplane during a mid-flight emergency

Charles Hew Crooks (23) died after jumping or falling from an airplane during a mid-flight emergency

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/30/us/no...ead/index.html

The body of a man who got off an aircraft mid-flight during an emergency landing Friday near Raleigh, North Carolina, has been recovered, authorities say.
    Around 2:40 p.m. ET, a twin-engine CASA CN-212 Aviocar landed in the grass at Raleigh-Durham International Airport, the Federal Aviation Administration told CNN in a statement.
    Two people were onboard when the plane took off, though a spokesperson for the airport told CNN affiliate WRAL that only the pilot was on board when it landed. The pilot's condition was not released Friday.

The body of the man believed to be the co-pilot was recovered in Fuquay-Varina just before 7 p.m., Wake County emergency management spokesperson Darshan Patel said during a news conference. A resident had alerted officers searching the area that they heard something in their backyard, Patel said.

The co-pilot was identified as Charles Hew Crooks, 23, from Raleigh, according to the Fuquay-Varina Police Department.

It is unclear whether Crooks jumped or fell from the plane, authorities say. Crooks was not wearing a parachute when his body was recovered, Patel said.

The FAA and National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the incident.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Bizarre. He must have fell, but how?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Bizarre. He must have fell, but how?
    Flying while drunk?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...er-s-rcna40839

The father of a North Carolina pilot, who died after exiting a plane during a mid-flight emergency, said his family is still trying to reckon with what led to the 23-year-old's death.

Charles Hew Crooks had spent years working toward his dream of becoming a pilot, his father Hew Crooks told NBC affiliate WRAL of Raleigh.

Now, Crooks said his family is left wondering what led to his son's death.

?We can?t process it right now," Crooks told WRAL. "I don?t know.?

The body of Charles Hew Crooks, who was co-piloting the flight, was found in a Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, backyard on Saturday ? one day after the incident.

An unidentified family told WRAL that they were home and heard a loud thud in their backyard on Friday. Although they didn't see anything at the time, police showed up and later found the pilot's body in the trees of their backyard.

Charles Hew Crooks was not wearing a parachute and it's unclear why he exited the plane, said Wake County emergency management spokesperson Darshan Patel on Friday. Officials said they believe he either fell or jumped out of the plane.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...h-ca-rcna40773

The pilot, who has not been identified, told air traffic control that there was an issue with the landing gear and asked to make an emergency landing at the airport, according to the news station. The pilot suffered minor injuries and has been released from the hospital, WRAL reported.
    This is a small commercial cargo plane. My guess is the FO went back to try to get the gear to come down or even just see if he could verify if the gear was down or not, and fell out while doing so.

The pilot should know, right? Unless he pushed him out.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I had the same thought.

https://www.wkrg.com/national/new-de...orth-carolina/

According to a newly-obtained recording, the co-pilots called air traffic control to inform them that the main right wheel of the landing gear had fallen off. One of the co-pilots said they attempted to land at Raeford and they “made a hard landing, decided to go around, and at that point, we lost the wheel.”

While in-flight, one of the co-pilots called Fayetteville Air Traffic Control for help rerouting to Raleigh-Durham International. You can hear one of them say “We’ve lost our right wheel – we’d like to proceed to Raleigh and make a landing.”

During the conversation, one of the men from the plane said they had enough fuel to fly in the air for another four hours before having to land. Someone eventually responded, “Quick question, how do you intend to land at Raleigh-Durham?” The response from one of the men was, “Get as low as we can and I guess we’re going to put it on the belly.”

In a later radio call with officials, the pilot of the plane said his co-pilot, Charles Hew Crooks, had jumped from the plane without a parachute.

Multiple first responders headed to the airport after the plane landed on the runway. The pilot was taken to the hospital, where officials said he was okay.

It’s still unclear why Hew Crooks fell from the plane. Local and state officials are now working with the National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration, both of which are now leading the investigation.

So the pilot says the guy jumped. Just sounds odd to me...

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    This is absolutely bizarre.

Well, he'd still know. Just might not want to say...
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Well, he'd still know. Just might not want to say...
    Yeah I worded that wrong. I meant to say the pilot should be able to tell them whether he jumped or fell...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ght-wheel.html

The pilot, whose name has not been released, sustained minor injuries. He was taken to Duke Hospital and released late Friday night.

He told authorities that Crooks had jumped out of the plane before the emergency landing attempt, and it was believed he may have jumped toward a body of water.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ai...8915fb01a4759a

Air traffic controllers say co-pilot who died after exiting plane during mid-flight emergency 'jumped,' 911 call shows

A 911 call made by air traffic controllers suggests that a co-pilot who died after exiting a plane during a mid-flight emergency last week may have jumped, a recording released on Tuesday showed.

The body of Charles Hew Crooks, 23, was recovered last weekend after he plunged from the plane near Raleigh, North Carolina, on Friday afternoon. The pilot did not have a parachute when he exited the twin-engine CASA CN-212 Aviocar, sparking questions around whether he had fallen from the plane or jumped.

The 13-minute recording of of a 911 call made by two Federal Aviation Administration employees in the RDU air traffic control tower during the incident may shine some light on the situation, with the workers suggesting the other pilot on the plane reported Crooks had jumped.

“This is from Raleigh Airport. We have a pilot that was inbound to the field. His co-pilot jumped out of the aircraft," an FAA employee can be heard saying before providing the coordinates of where the incident unfolded.

"So, they said he jumped out of the aircraft," they say. "His copilot jumped out without the parachute so he might have impact to the ground.”

"I guess at this point in time, all we can really do is kind of do a recovery," the dispatcher says at one point.

"Yeah, I know. Yeah, I mean, I don't know," a different FAA worker who takes over the call responds. "This is the craziest thing I've ever dealt with."

"I mean, I'm sure this pilot is going to be shaken up. I have no idea. He literally just said, 'my pilot just jumped out'," they say. The identities of the FAA workers have not been released.

There was no indication as to why Crooks may have jumped and an investigation into exactly what happened remains ongoing.

Did he think that the plane would crash trying to land and either he felt his chances were better jumping or that he'd rather just get it over with? None of this makes any sense at all. Unless he was always somewhat suicidal and saw his chance so took it?
    Oh well, back to gum.

Very suspect.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/my...out&li=BBnb7Kz

Publicly available air traffic control audio recordings had previously revealed details about the basic circumstances of the incident. N497CA, which was using the callsign Shady 02 at the time, had lost its right main landing gear wheel during a rough landing or touch-and-go and had diverted to Raleigh-Durham to make an emergency landing. That clip had also confirmed that two individuals were on board after the wheel broke off.

The exact circumstances surrounding Crooks' subsequent exit from the plane, which has a rear ramp, remain something of a mystery. In the new air traffic control recording of the conversation between the pilot and Raleigh-Durham's tower, which you can listen to here, both individuals, the remaining pilot and the air traffic controller, sound somewhat in shock.

A full transcript of the clip, which is only one minute and 15 seconds long, and appears to come right before the plane made its emergency landing, is as follows:

Pilot (P): "Raleigh Approach, Shady 02."

Raleigh Approach (RA): "Shady 02, Raleigh"

P: "My co-pilot just ran out the back of the plane."

RA: "Shady 02, what now?"

P: "He just ran out the back of the plane."

RA: "So you don't have a co-pilot on you, sir?"

P: "No, he just jumped out the back of the plane."

RA: "Uh, roger."

P: "Would you like me to circle where he leapt at?"

RA: "Uh, say that again?"

P: "Would you like me to circle where he got out at, or you got me on track?"

RA: "We've still got you on track, but did you need something else?"

P: "No, the dude literally jumped out the back of the plane without a parachute."

*Seven seconds of total silence*

RA: "Shady 02, did you need to do something else, circle or something, or-"

P: "No, I need to land. I'm just making you aware you're gonna have a dead body out where I just called you at. He just jumped out the back of the plane."

RA: "Roger, continue on your heading 0-5-0."

P: "Roger, 0-5-0, 0-2."

Yeeeeah. Not buying it

If I'm reading this right they tried to land first and lost a wheel. Then before the second landing, CO pilot is gone. Is it possible he went to go look for damage or something and fell?

I'll keep saying it. This is extremely bizarre.

Is it possible that he was psychotic and did something to the wheel himself before takeoff? Maybe he was on a suicide mission from the get go and when it looked like they'd be able to land safely despite the issues with the landing gear, he went with his Plan B. It wouldn't be the first time that someone wanted to take others with them on a plane.
    Oh well, back to gum.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I spoke to a pilot friend of mine since childhood and he has no answers on this one. When planes undergo emergency landings, pilots do prepare their exits in case they have to jump/get out; however, this one makes zero sense. Like Boston, it sounds like he had some sort of suicide mission in mind. Either that or he just lost it.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries...ry?id=36192526

Charles Hew Dalrymple Crooks
    August 15, 1998 - July 29, 2022

Raleigh, North Carolina - Born in Lima, Peru on August 15, 1998. Died in a flying accident July 29, 2022 in Raleigh, NC.

Raised in Fairfield, CT, Charlie attended Osborn Hill Elementary School and Roger Ludlowe Middle School. After completing his freshman year at Fairfield Ludlowe High School, he made the brave journey across the continent to Mill Bay, British Columbia to complete his high school education at Brentwood College School, his father's alma mater. He was admitted to Bucknell University, graduating in May 2020 with a BA in Political Science.

Charlie had numerous interests and talents. Several weeks each summer were spent at his grandparents' cottage on Gloucester Pool, where he honed his unique swimming style of bobbing with chin partially submerged. While he loved the water, Charlie lacked the necessary buoyancy to pursue swimming as a sport. Instead, he had the great fortune to meet Master KJ Ha of World Champion Tae Kwan Do in Fairfield. Through many years of dedication on the part of both master and student, Charlie was proud to achieve his second-degree black belt.

Leaving home for boarding school required a leap of faith, but Brentwood provided the environment in which Charlie truly began to excel academically, physically, artistically and socially. He joined the cross country running club and was proud after much dedication to move "from the shame of being stuck in the slow group to feeling confident as a solid member of the medium-slow group." He tried his hand at rowing, competed on the debate team, and perhaps most importantly learned from his band of brothers in Rogers House to give and receive true friendship and to have confidence in his unique gifts. His time at Brentwood culminated in the ultimate honor of being elected by his classmates to give the valedictorian speech for the class of 2016. Delivered with his trademark combination of self-deprecation and sly wit, his final moments at Brentwood were spent walking from the stage wearing a giant smile, to an explosion of cheers and a standing ovation. At Bucknell, Charlie joined the Bison Battalion, Bucknell's chapter of ROTC, completed Basic Camp at Fort Knox, founded the Bucknell chapter of Young Americans for Liberty, competed on the ski team, and discovered a gift for art and sculpture.

Aviation was Charlie's overriding passion practically from birth. He read every flight book he could get his hands on, and was known occasionally to wear one on his head for transcranial absorption of knowledge. As a young teenager he built an actual flight simulator and developed a love for flying remote control planes, but the real fun began when he took his first flying lessons at Three Wing Aviation in Stratford, CT. He continued his training throughout college in Williamsport, PA, soloing in August of 2017. Facing a complete lack of demand for pilots during the early phase of the pandemic, Charlie doggedly, yet cheerfully, pursued his dream of becoming a professional pilot, earning various advanced ratings and qualifying as a Commercial Pilot and Certified Flight Instructor before landing a job in May 2021 as a flight instructor at Flightgest Academy at the Raleigh-Durham Airport. He was greatly admired by his students and colleagues for his teaching style. His celebrated whiteboard drawings made even the most complex concepts both humorous and easy to understand; many have been photographed and preserved by his fellow instructors. In April 2022, Charlie accepted his dream job as a First Officer with Rampart Aviation, a specialist contractor primarily conducting support operations for the Department of Defense. He was very proud of the company and pleased to announce to his family that he had earned the nickname "Tuna," signaling his full acceptance as part of the Rampart team. When not on the job, Charlie fused his love for art, technology and aviation, producing custom designed, 3-D printed components that he shipped to other flight simulator enthusiasts around the world.

The resume of Charlie's life could never fully describe the legacy he leaves. He was guided always by a strong moral compass; a fierce love for and loyalty to his family and friends; and a heart that was open and forgiving. He gave everyone a chance. His sense of humor was legendary - the far side of The Far Side. As a boy he insisted on being the Batmobile in proud and practical support of his younger brother's and sister's Batman and Robin for Halloween. Charlie reveled in the eclectic, with a taste in music that ranged from bossa nova to King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard. Without guile or affectation, he nonetheless enjoyed putting on a suit for wine night with friends, sometimes with trademark aviator glasses and empty pipe, an inside joke. This spring he used his new regular paycheck to purchase a reliably unreliable 1978 Fiat convertible. He spent many hours and more than a few dollars trying to keep the car roadworthy while avoiding tetanus.

There was so much joy. Earlier this year he posted an update to friends on Instagram that began "Long time, no life updates so here's the recap," and ended with "This has been a very eventful year, and while there have been challenges, I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life and I wouldn't trade places with anyone in the world." Charlie's wonderful friends in Chapel Hill, aka The Terrace Club, were central to his sense of fulfillment and belonging. Only days before his death, Charlie shared with his parents that he was exactly where he wanted to be doing exactly what he wanted to do. Not many get the chance to live that way.

Charlie is survived by his parents Hew and Kate, brother Crawford (22), his sister Mary (20) of Fairfield, CT, his maternal grandmother Mary Zipser of Savannah, GA and his paternal grandparents Art and Mary Jane Crooks of Lethbridge, Alberta, his aunts Melissa Zipser Murray, Claire Crooks Goodall (George), and uncle Morgan Crooks (Aimee), first cousins Katherine and Elizabeth Murray, Finn, Sydney, Grady, and Tilly Goodall, Riley and Andrew Crooks.

The funeral service will be held on Saturday, August 13th at 11am at Christ & Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, 75 Church Lane, Westport, CT. A reception will be held in Branson Hall in the church immediately following the service. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be sent to the charity Above the Clouds

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nt...out&li=BBnb7Kz

NTSB: Co-pilot was "visibly upset" before he exited plane in mid-air

A new preliminary report has offered some insight into what may have prompted a 23-year-old pilot to exit a damaged plane in mid-air before his co-pilot made an emergency landing in North Carolina last month.

On July 29, Charles Hew Crooks exited the small cargo plane, a CASA 212-200, while it was still airborne, about 30 miles south of Raleigh-Durham International Airport. He did not have a parachute, and his body was found in a backyard in the town of Fuquay-Varina. His co-pilot, and the only other person aboard the plane, was unhurt in the emergency landing. The two had been conducting a series of skydiving trips at the time.

Following the incident, questions lingered as to whether Crooks fell or jumped out of the plane. Two unnamed Federal Aviation Administration employees can be heard telling a 911 dispatcher that the plane was heading to the airport at the time.

On Tuesday, the National Transportation Safety Board released a preliminary report that contains information gathered about what took place during the flight. The report is not final and does not come to a definitive conclusion.

Crooks' unnamed co-pilot told NTSB investigators that they had conducted two skydiving runs that day – and had began to descend to Raeford West Airport to pick up a third group of skydivers – when the plane's right main landing gear was fractured after impact on the runway's surface.

The NTSB report described Crooks as the "second-in-command" on the plane, while the surviving pilot was the "pilot-in-command."

According to the report, Crooks' co-pilot instructed him to declare an emergency and request a diversion to Raleigh-Durham International Airport for landing. The pilot continued flying the plane while Crooks communicated with air traffic control as they prepared to land the CASA at Raleigh-Durham without the right main landing gear, the report said.

The pilot told NTSB that, 20 minutes into the the diversion to Raleigh-Durham, Crooks became "visibly upset" about the impending hard landing, and after his final communication to air traffic control, Crooks opened his side cockpit window and "may have gotten sick," the report read.

In his interview with NTSB investigators, the surviving pilot said he then took over radio communications as Crooks lowered the ramp in the back of the plane and indicated that he felt like he was going to be sick and needed air.

According to the surviving pilot, Crooks then "got up from his seat, removed his headset, apologized, and departed the airplane via the aft ramp door," the NTSB report said.

The pilot told NTSB there was a bar one could grab about six feet above the ramp. Crooks did not grab the bar before exiting the plane, the report said. After he departed the plane, the surviving pilot turned the plane to the right to search for Crooks and then informed air traffic control that Crooks had "departed the airplane without a parachute," before making an emergency landing at Raleigh-Durham, the report said.

An examination of the airplane revealed "substantial damage to the right main landing gear, landing gear fittings, and the airframe structure where the fittings attach."
    I am wondering if he thought he would get into trouble over the damage during the attempted landing and thought it might hurt him from getting an airline job in the future?

So..... accident? Who tries to get air on an airplane? Just barf 🤷*♀️

No idea what that stuff is after the 🤷*♀️

Ummm, it's adding stuff after the * shrug * emoji

Thread Information