Thread: Dylan Rounds (19) missing from Lucin, UT since 5/28/2022

Dylan Rounds (19) missing from Lucin, UT since 5/28/2022

This case is interesting. I've been following it since it happened but too lazy to make a thread until now.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50433419...-desist-letter

The family of a missing man from eastern Idaho is demanding a private investigator stop his involvement in the search for their son.

Dylan Rounds, 19, vanished over a month ago while farming in the rural town of Lucin near the Utah/Nevada border. He last spoke with his grandmother on May 28. Since then, nobody has heard from him, and other than a pair of Rounds' boots on the property, there has been no sign of him anywhere.

James Terry with Gulf Coast Investigation in Florida has been investigating the case, but on Thursday, Idaho Falls-based attorney Ronald Swafford sent Terry a cease-and-desist letter on behalf of Rounds' parents, Justin Rounds and Candice Cooley.

"My office has been retained by the Rounds and Cooley families to send this letter to you and demand that you immediately cease and desist your continued nonauthorized involvement in the Dylan Rounds case," Swafford wrote. "You have made malicious, unfounded and incorrect statements and have made verbal and written attacks on the Rounds and Cooley families."

Terry has spoken about the case on videos posted online, and Swafford wrote that Terry's words are "damaging the integrity and effectiveness of the entire investigation."

Since Rounds disappeared, multiple searches have been conducted in the Lucin and Montello, Nevada, areas. The FBI is assisting the Box Elder County Sheriff's Office with the investigation, and people who knew Rounds have been interviewed by law enforcement.

Rounds' parents say they are focused on finding their son and don't want Terry's private investigation to be a distraction.

"Your actions are diverting the focus from finding Dylan Rounds to what appears to be your own personal vendetta and/or to promote yourself at the expense of the truth," Swafford wrote. "The family of Dylan Rounds do not want to waste their time, resources and energy with any further action against you in this matter and therefore request your immediate compliance."
    https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news...nst-former-pi/

Missing in Utah: People questioned in Dylan Rounds case as parents file cease and desist order against former PI

https://people.com/crime/dylan-round...sappears-utah/

Mom of Dylan Rounds, Who Vanished from His Remote Utah Farm in May, Tells PEOPLE She Fears He Was Murdered

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Full story here: https://www.foxnews.com/us/missing-d...ear-old-farmer

Missing Dylan Rounds: Utah deputies name squatter neighbor as suspect in disappearance of 19-year-old farmer

Utah authorities have named a suspect in the unsolved disappearance of 19-year-old farmer Dylan Rounds, who was last heard from on May 28 when he told his grandmother he needed to get his grain truck out of the rain.

James Brenner, 58, is being held at the Weber County Jail on federal firearms charges, according to authorities.

Candice Cooley, Rounds’ mother, told Fox News Digital on Thursday that the newly named suspect is an "acquaintance" of her son.

"I’m keeping it together as best I can," she said.

Brenner is described in court documents as a neighbor and "family friend" of Rounds who police say was squatting in a trailer on land where deputies found the missing teen’s boots and grain truck. His past criminal history includes malicious wounding, malicious shooting and three prior convictions for being a felon in possession of a firearm, court records show.

"The defendant has no work history and is currently unemployed and has no verifiable residence," court documents state. "The defendant was trespassing and squatting on property."

As part of their search for Rounds, investigators served several search warrants. Two of them led to federal cases against men who had interacted with Rounds before his disappearance – Brenner and Chase Venstra, 41.

According to a neighbor identified in court documents as DH, at some point after Rounds’ disappearance, Brenner asked him to conceal three black powder guns and a .22-caliber rifle without a serial number. After being contacted by the FBI, DH gave the weapons to authorities. Citing past felony convictions, they charged Brenner with being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Brenner pleaded guilty on May 21 and has already been sentenced to 33 months in prison for another firearm charge. The latest court documents were unsealed Wednesday.

"When Dylan Rounds was not located early on in the search effort, the investigation focused on the possibility of Dylan being the victim of a crime," Chief Deputy Cade Palmer, of the Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office, said Thursday. "The current totality of information gathered from the many interviews and searches, along with the analysis of both physical evidence and forensic data, has identified James Brenner as a suspect."

"No criminal charges have been filed specifically regarding the Dylan Rounds case," Palmer said. "This investigation is not complete and remains active. Law enforcement investigators are continuing to work to locate Dylan and find answers."

Last edited by Bewitchingstorm; 07-15-2022 at 08:45 AM.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2022/0...r-missing-son/

The parents of a man from eastern Idaho who vanished near the Utah-Nevada border want a different law enforcement agency to take over the investigation into their missing son.

Dylan Rounds, who turned 20 on Aug. 1, disappeared nearly three months ago while farming in the desert town of Lucin, Utah. His grandmother spoke with him on May 28 and nobody has heard from him since then. There has been no sign of Dylan anywhere and no activity on his cell phone or bank account, according to his parents.

The Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office in Utah has been the lead agency on the case but Justin Rounds and Candice Cooley, Dylan’s parents, believe mistakes have been made in the investigation and they are frustrated by a lack of communication.

“If Box Elder can’t even communicate with us as parents, can’t even pick up the phone once a week, why are they even working his case because there’s no point,” Cooley says in an interview with EastIdahoNews.com. “This is absolutely ridiculous. We should not have to beg for everything in this case.”

Dylan’s parents say they rarely hear from anyone in the Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office and were stunned when information the family was asked to keep quiet was released July 28 on the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs).

It said after Dylan disappeared, his truck was locked and the key fob was missing “however the key fob was brought back and placed in the residence (Dylan’s camp trailer) by unknown person.”

The information about the key fob has since been removed and Dylan’s parents were told it was accidentally submitted to NamUs by a detective.

Rounds and Cooley say the day the key fob was found in Dylan’s camp trailer, investigators didn’t seem to care.

“That happened on day number three after Dylan was gone. They didn’t even think to treat anything suspicious. They didn’t start thinking, ‘Something’s not right. Somebody’s bringing this kid’s stuff back now and he’s missing.’ No, nothing. They just continued on their merry way,” Cooley says.

Chase Venstra, 41, and James Brenner, 59, two men believed to have interacted with Dylan in the days before he vanished, were arrested last month for felony gun crimes in Utah. They have not been charged in connection to Dylan’s disappearance but Dylan’s parents believe Brenner knows what happened to their son.

Brenner was squatting on property near Dylan’s and they wish Box Elder investigators would have questioned the neighbor immediately. Court documents indicate he wasn’t interviewed until June 7 – ten days after Dylan last spoke with anyone.

“Brenner had an arrest warrant at the time Dylan disappeared. Box Elder County knew this. He could have been arrested on day one,” Cooley explains. “You have a violent criminal … and you have a missing 19-year-old all within 100 yards of each other. And you don’t even think, ‘Let’s go ahead and execute this warrant because we can take this guy to jail right now.'”

Dylan’s parents say they have never been interviewed by investigators and, in a letter to the Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office, cite “multiple errors, omissions, lies, (and) misconduct” as reasons why they want the state of Utah to take over the case with assistance from the FBI.

“I’ve told myself I just gotta have faith that they’re doing what they’re doing,” Rounds explains. “I’ve just kind of been hoping and praying that they were doing what they were supposed to be doing. But we haven’t talked to them at all. I don’t know anything that’s going on.”

I hope they get competent investigators on the case. I mean, they never even interviewed his parents? Isn't that investigation 101?

Thread Information