Thread: Julio Ramirez (25) died after being found unresponsive in a taxi after a night out with multiple unknown men

Julio Ramirez (25) died after being found unresponsive in a taxi after a night out with multiple unknown men

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-...ater-rcna29844

Social worker Julio Ramirez, 25, met up with a friend on April 20 for a night out in Hell?s Kitchen, a Manhattan neighborhood near Times Square in New York known for its lively restaurant and bar scene. Their last stop was the Ritz Bar and Lounge, a popular, multilevel gay venue in the heart of the neighborhood?s Restaurant Row.

Surveillance footage from a nearby security camera shows Ramirez walking away from the venue with three unidentified men at 3:17 a.m., according to his brother, Carlos, who said he was briefed by investigators. The four men then entered a nearby taxi, a police source said, but Ramirez was alone in the backseat at 4:10 a.m. when the taxi driver approached a police officer 3 miles away in Manhattan?s Lower East Side neighborhood to say his passenger was unresponsive.

Despite efforts to save his life by the officer and the Emergency Medical Services team, Ramirez was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital at 4:49 a.m. on April 21, a police source said, adding that the initial cause of death was listed as a ?possible drug overdose.? Ramirez?s official ?cause and manner of death are pending further study,? according to the medical examiner, who told NBC News in an email that this could take ?at least a few weeks.? Ramirez was initially identified as ?John Doe,? his brother said, because neither his wallet nor phone were with him when he died.

Now, more than a month later, Ramirez?s family and friends are left with more questions than answers as they try to piece together what happened in his final hours. Who were the men who entered the taxi with him? Was he drugged? Are investigators prioritizing his case? Where are his phone and wallet? Who drained his bank accounts in the days following his death?

Ramirez?s friends described him as a ?sweet? and ?smart? young man, and, according to his brother, Ramirez ?believed in serving underprivileged communities.? Originally from Long Island, New York, he had just moved to New York City last year after obtaining a bachelor?s degree and two master?s degrees from the University at Buffalo. He had been living and working in Brooklyn?s Bushwick neighborhood, where he was a bilingual mental health counselor.

Like many gay men in New York City, he was a frequent visitor to Hell?s Kitchen, which, along with its southern neighbor, Chelsea, reportedly has the highest concentration of LGBTQ bars and resources in the city ? and perhaps the world.

On what would be his final night out in Hell?s Kitchen, Ramirez met up with his friend Carlos Camacho, a 24-year-old aspiring actor who lives in the neighborhood. Camacho said he and Ramirez met on April 20 at 7 p.m. and visited three venues all within a half-mile of each other: Rise Bar, a gay cocktail lounge; Mickey Spillane?s, a bar and restaurant; and, finally, Ritz Bar and Lounge.

The two friends, who have known each other since June, got separated just before 3 a.m., according to their last text exchange, which Camacho shared with NBC News.

At 2:58 a.m., Camacho told Ramirez he was inside the Ritz, and a minute later, Ramirez responded saying he was outside the bar, according to the texts. At 3:10 a.m., Ramirez told his friend to come outside. After not receiving a response, Ramirez texted Camacho, who lives nearby, at 3:29 a.m. to ask if he went home. Camacho responded at 3:45 a.m. to confirm that he was home and asked his friend to come over. Ramirez never responded.

At 12:10 p.m. on April 21, Camacho sent a follow-up message to Ramirez asking him ?what happened? the night before. An alert popped up notifying Camacho that his message to Ramirez had been ?read,? though unbeknownst to Camacho at the time, his friend had been pronounced dead more than seven hours earlier.

Earlier that evening, Ramirez had been texting with Shiva Campbell, a friend from Buffalo with whom he was in ?constant contact,? according to Campbell. They were chatting about saving money and Adam Sandler movies before Ramirez stopped responding at 10:25 p.m. on April 20, according to their final text exchange, which Campbell shared with NBC News.
    Image: Julio Ramirez and Shiva Campbell.
    Julio Ramirez and Shiva Campbell.Courtesy Shiva Campbell

Campbell said she and Ramirez had remained close after meeting as college freshmen, and, like many young friends, they used the location sharing feature on their iPhones. They had done so for the past several years, so Campbell said she became concerned when at 3:46 a.m. on April 21 an alert popped up saying, ?Julio Ramirez stopped sharing location with you.?

She continued to text Ramirez throughout the day on April 21 asking where he was and whether he was OK. Her concern turned to alarm when she noticed the color of the text messages she sent him turned from blue to green, which can indicate his phone had been turned off or had died.

?Julio never lets his phone die,? she said. ?Even if he lost his phone, he would text me on his iPad, so I knew something was up.?

Campbell?s last text to Ramirez was on April 22 at 8:06 a.m.: ?Ramirez, did something happen?? She would soon discover that he had been pronounced dead more than 24 hours earlier.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    One of three things probably happened. Either his friend or someone else inside of the bar date rape drugged him, he went outside disoriented and the guys found him and offered to have him ride in their cab with him to get him home safe. He became unresponsive and they panicked and got out of the cab leaving him.

The could have drugged him as well seeing him outside, but I don't think that's likely. If he was already messed up enough to go with them, they wouldn't have needed to.

He also could have just overdosed on his own.

Sad no matter what because by all accounts he seems like he was a decent guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.

Someone drained his accounts and turned off his location sharing. Either someone purposefully drugged him to befriend and rob him or they took advantage of his intoxication to rob him.

Random thought, but it seems weird to me to use the "share location" app with a friend. Seems so random to me. Maybe it's a young person thing? I mean, I don't even do that with my husband

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Random thought, but it seems weird to me to use the "share location" app with a friend. Seems so random to me. Maybe it's a young person thing? I mean, I don't even do that with my husband
    I have shared my location with others when I am traveling. Otherwise, I don't do it.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    He looked like a kid

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    He looked like a kid
    He looked like he could have been viewed as an easy target. I missed where someone drained his account in the days after and his phone was missing. He obviously had his phone outside of the club since he was texting his friend so I can only believe that the guys that took him with them in the cab are the ones involved. Between being outside the club and being found dead in the cab, his phone and wallet went missing. So it comes down to those three guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.

I've been having discussions on this. I had no idea that this was a thing either. I don't use an iPhone, but even if I did, no way would I want someone tracking me. It's bad enough that Google does it, but I don't really mind since I'm not trapping LOL. Nah seriously, I don't mind Google because I can see every place that I've went over the past years since Google released Android and developed their tracking tech. I figured that if I get lost, my husband can at least teach me, but it's a lot of steps.

He seems like a really good guy, and it's sad that someone decided to rob him after death. How would they know his pin number? Maybe he said it in his intoxicated state?

Quote Originally Posted by Queenatoo View Post
    I've been having discussions on this. I had no idea that this was a thing either. I don't use an iPhone, but even if I did, no way would I want someone tracking me. It's bad enough that Google does it, but I don't really mind since I'm not trapping LOL. Nah seriously, I don't mind Google because I can see every place that I've went over the past years since Google released Android and developed their tracking tech. I figured that if I get lost, my husband can at least teach me, but it's a lot of steps.

He seems like a really good guy, and it's sad that someone decided to rob him after death. How would they know his pin number? Maybe he said it in his intoxicated state?
    If someone tracked me, it would be embarrassing as I have no life and only go to work and then home

If someone tracked me, it would be embarrassing as I have no life and only go to work and then home
    Same. I take my son to therapy and that's it.

yeah. They'd have a more interesting time if they tracked my internet activity... maybe? But irl? From home to work, work to home with an occasional trip to pick up groceries. :yawn:
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Thread Information