Thread: Football player told police he punched victim (Jerry Paul Smith, 40) after meeting for sexual encounter

Football player told police he punched victim (Jerry Paul Smith, 40) after meeting for sexual encounter

https://roanoke.com/news/local/crime...fffc5098e.html

CHRISTIANSBURG ' A now suspended Virginia Tech football player told police he punched a sexual partner five times in the face and stomped on him after discovering the person he thought was a woman was actually a man, according to arguments presented Wednesday in a Montgomery County courtroom.

According to the autopsy, all the bones in Blacksburg resident Jerry Paul Smith's face were broken, his teeth were missing and he had multiple cranial fractures. The medical examiner's office had previously revealed that Smith had died from blunt force trauma to the head.

Ismemen David Etute of Virginia Beach was arrested and charged with second-degree murder June 2 in the death of Smith, a Blacksburg restaurant worker.

Etute was granted bond in a hearing Wednesday morning in Montgomery County General District Court, but Chief Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Patrick Jensen filed an expedited appeal that would have kept Etute in jail for up to five more days.

The two sides later Wednesday came to an agreement to release Etute on a $75,000 secured bond under house arrest and electronic monitoring, according to a release put out by Commonwealth's Attorney Mary Pettitt. The order restricts Etute from returning to Montgomery County except to consult with his attorney or to attend court proceedings.

The courtroom was packed as Judge Randal Duncan excluded cameras from the courtroom at the start of the proceeding. Smith's family was in attendance. More than a dozen football players ' most of them clad in Virginia Tech gear ' were there in support of Etute.

Etute was in court Wednesday morning wearing an orange prison jumpsuit. A bailiff was stationed behind Etute throughout the entire hearing, and Etute was handcuffed with his wrists attached to a chain around his waist.

Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Jason Morgan argued against bail, and outlined new details about the case based on statements Etute gave to the police.

According to those statements, Etute visited the victim's apartment April 10 for oral sex after he was matched up with someone named 'Angie' on Tinder. Etute returned to the apartment May 31 to engage in sexual activity and discovered the person he was matched up with was a man, according to summaries of the evidence made by both Morgan and defense attorney Jimmy Turk.

Etute also told police that Smith did not assault him.

Etute told the police he punched the victim five times in the face and continued punching the victim when the person hit the ground and 'stomped' on him. He heard 'bubbling and gurgling' as he left the apartment, but didn't call the police.

Police discovered Smith's body in the apartment in the 100 block of Blacksburg's North Main Street on June 1.

Turk's response to Morgan outlining the circumstances of the case was to emphasize that the victim solicited Etute for sexual activity.

'I'm not saying what happened was acceptable, but this was more than someone just showing up to an apartment and punching someone,' Turk told the court.

Turk expanded on that point outside the courtroom.

'Nobody deserves to die, but I don't mind saying, don't pretend you are something that you are not,' Turk told reporters. 'Don't target or lure anyone under that perception. That's just wrong.'

Smith's family declined to comment after the bond hearing.

Morgan's arguments came after testimony from Etute and his mother Michelle.

Michelle Etute was the first witness called and Turk led her through a series of questions about her son's background, his relationship with his family and their living situation. Etute has three siblings including a younger sister, 15, with Down syndrome.

Etute, with her voice barely above a whisper, said there is someone at home 'pretty much around the clock' at the household with his sister requiring extra care. Etute's parents declined to comment after the hearing.

The questions Turk had for Isi Etute were of a similar nature. He talked about the strong relationship he had with his siblings, and said his parents were, 'the strongest people I've ever known even through this situation.'

The freshman enrolled at Virginia Tech at midyear and went through spring camp with the football team.

The closest Etute came to referencing the charges he's facing is when Turk asked him, how has this affected you'

'Real hard,' Etute said. 'I'm trying to stay strong for the people that support me, I feel like I've let a lot of people down ... I'm truly sorry for my actions.'

Turk got emotional arguing on Etute's behalf during the hearing, and fought to fight back tears during his closing argument, and again outside the courtroom.

'I've tried more than 100 murder cases in my lifetime, and normally I don't even ask for bail,' Turk told the judge with his voice quivering. 'If there's ever been a time for someone to be considered for bail, this is it.'

Duncan acknowledged the seriousness of the allegations, but in granting bail he said there was no evidence that Etute wouldn't appear for the trial or that he posed a danger to the community.

Duncan's decision isn't without precedent.

Turk cited two cases in Virginia where defendants facing second-degree murder charges were released on bail. He referenced a 2002 case Jawad v. Commonwealth, and a local case involving Mark Ward Faville from 2015.

Based on court records search, over the last nine years there have been at least three other second-degree murder cases in Montgomery County Court, and one of the defendants, Taylor Stevers, was granted bail as well.

Stevers was charged with second-degree murder in the death of her estranged husband back in 2017. She was eventually acquitted in 2018 on charges of voluntary manslaughter.

Wait people feel sorry for the suspect in this case? This wasnt self defense or a fucking accident. When he realized the "woman" was a "man" he could have just walked the fuck away.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Well first of all let me just say that right or wrong what he did was murder plain and simple. Regardless of what made him snap. No one gave him the right to play God with that mans life. Was the victim innocent, no he was not. But he did not deserve to die in spite of his trickery. The killer needs to face justice in all of its forms. First and foremost he needs to be dismissed from the football program and barred from the college,the roster wiped clear of his name,he is no hero, he is a killer.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Wait people feel sorry for the suspect in this case? This wasnt self defense or a fucking accident. When he realized the "woman" was a "man" he could have just walked the fuck away.
    This is why Trans people keep getting murdered and nobody gets held accountable. Because authorities and society in general don't view them as humans. So we need to keep fighting for their rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Exactly. Just fucking say, "No, thank you" and leave. I've been in situations like this before at nightclubs, and I was basically like, "Hey, that's cool but not my thing. I'll have a drink with you, though."
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Exactly. Just fucking say, "No, thank you" and leave. I've been in situations like this before at nightclubs, and I was basically like, "Hey, that's cool but not my thing. I'll have a drink with you, though."

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    And that's why we're friends

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    This is why Trans people keep getting murdered and nobody gets held accountable. Because authorities and society in general don't view them as humans. So we need to keep fighting for their rights.
    It hurts my heart how much violence and suicide affects this community. I dont get the hate. This poor man had all of his teeth knocked out and his head bashed in. Anyone who does that to another human being should be locked up.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

It hurts my heart how much violence and suicide affects this community. I dont get the hate. This poor man had all of his teeth knocked out and his head bashed in. Anyone who does that to another human being should be locked up.
    I think a lot of it has to do with some people hate what they don't understand. This is why I think it's important to educate children on certain issues (that some parents think is "wrong").

Of course, some people are just raised to hate. Makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Yes. What he did to him was especially egregious. It takes a certain type of person to inflict that kind of damage to another person. It's serial killer shit. He should NOT be out on bail. That's for damn sure.

https://www.blackenterprise.com/virg...him-on-tinder/

Virginia Tech Football Player Charged With Second-Degree Murder For Killing Trans Woman He Claims Catfished Him On Tinder

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    https://www.blackenterprise.com/virg...him-on-tinder/

Virginia Tech Football Player Charged With Second-Degree Murder For Killing Trans Woman He Claims Catfished Him On Tinder
    So Im guessing Smith had bottom surgery? How could they have sex and he not know? Also he went back to the house basically to kill Smith. Thats premeditation.

So Im guessing Smith had bottom surgery? How could they have sex and he not know? Also he went back to the house basically to kill Smith. Thats premeditation.
    I think I remember correctly that Smith was just giving him oral sex.

From your link:
    The two engaged in sexual activity with Etute unaware of Smith’s sexual identity. Etute returned on May 31 and realized that Smith and “Angie” were the same person.
    I thought this meant that they had sex. But you are right, it could have just been a BJ.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/isimeme...uitted-murder/

Former Virginia Tech football player Isimemen Etute acquitted in beating death of man he says he thought was a woman
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-26-2022 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Quoting Boston because this is EXACTLY why trans folx continue to be targeted, can't find jobs, make a decent income, live in a safe neighbourhood, let alone walk down the fucking street like any other person because they could fucking die just by existing.

Toxic and violent males need to be held accountable. I find it hard to believe if the genders were reversed in this scenario that a women would have stomped the fucking life out of someone who pretended to be someone they aren't. Imagine how many men would be boot stomped?!

Thread Information