Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tyre Sampson (14) dies after falling from ride at ICON Park

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar

Tyre Sampson (14) dies after falling from ride at ICON Park

I'm putting a link to the video below, it's GRAPHIC so watch at your own risk. It'll probably be taken down quickly.

ORLANDO, Fla. ?

A 14-year-old boy has died after falling from the Free Fall ride at ICON Park in Orlando, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

It happened around 11 p.m. on Thursday.

The boy was taken to Arnold Palmer Hospital, where he died from his injuries.

A video aired by NBC Today appears to show ride passengers discussing issues with seat restraints on Thursday night. The ride is then seen heading up the tower before someone is later seen falling from the ride.

"We operate the ride with all the safety precautions in mind. Everything is in place. And this is why we're doing this investigation. We are working with those people investigating at this point," said John Stine, sales director for the Slingshot Group which operates the ride. Free Fall and Sling Shot, an adjacent ride run, will be closed indefinitely.

ICON Park's Free Fall is the world's tallest free-standing drop tower, and the ride reaches about 75 miles per hour. The ride opened late last year and stands at 430-feet tall. It holds 30 passengers that are rotated around the tower and tilted towards the ground before entering free fall.

Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings issued the following statement, "I offer my deepest condolences for the family of the 14-year-old boy who died following the tragic incident at Icon Park. I look to receiving more information about what happened in the incident and what will be done to prevent it from ever happening again. The Florida Department of Agriculture and the Orange County Sheriff's Office investigations will bring clarity to the circumstances and next steps."

Another incident at ICON Park in September 2020 left*one worker dead*after falling from the StarFlyer attraction. That worker fell about 50-60 feet. StarFlyer is a 450-foot tall tower that spins riders around at about 45 miles per hour.
    https://www.wesh.com/article/14-year...-park/39533700

Video:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00073622595653
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.

The video is down already. That poor kid, how did this happen?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    The video is down already. That poor kid, how did this happen?
    The video is still there for me. You just have to click to watch it because it's covered for sensitive content.
    Oh well, back to gum.

I saw this earlier on FB. I don't understand why they can't have seatbelt like straps underneath those plastic things that lock in place. That way if the locking mechanism didn't work there would be a back up.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    The video is still there for me. You just have to click to watch it because it's covered for sensitive content.
    was the splat sound at the end him?

ETA: I just read his poor parents saw the whole thing.
    Last edited by Angiebla; 03-25-2022 at 10:03 AM.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.

Double of post below
    Last edited by Bewitchingstorm; 03-25-2022 at 10:22 AM.

Yes, that sound was him hitting the concrete. You can see a woman crying/being comforted towards the end before what appears to be a supervisor who asked the ride attendant, 'Did you check him?'. The woman crying might be his mother.
    Last edited by Bewitchingstorm; 03-25-2022 at 10:23 AM.

I saw this earlier on FB. I don't understand why they can't have seatbelt like straps underneath those plastic things that lock in place. That way if the locking mechanism didn't work there would be a back up.
    Exactly! I couldn't see too well, but I don't think they had additional seat belts. They were discussing it with the ride operator before they went up too. It was as if the woman was surprised that there weren't any seatbelts or something.

You couldn't pay me enough to go on that kind of ride. Most rides, actually. Having MS all I have to do is find an escalator and it's as good as a theme park ride and a shit ton cheaper.

ETA: With the way he just fell out with no reaction from him (like to break the fall instinctively), I wonder if he was passed out already. I've seen tons of videos of people passing out on rides like this. If he was passed out, he would have just been a rag doll and slipped right out of the arms of the ride. Which is why you need seatbelts. You can't hold on to anything to stay in if you're unconscious. The plus side to that is if he was, hopefully he didn't know what hit him. He wouldn't have experienced that last bit of terror before he hit the ground. I'm kind of thinking that his head likely hit the metal railing too. He didn't stand a chance.
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 03-25-2022 at 10:51 AM.
    Oh well, back to gum.

A post from someone who coached him.

1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    A post from someone who coached him.

1.jpg
    Ugh. It makes me hope that my edited comment is true. Poor kid.
    Oh well, back to gum.

Yes, that sound was him hitting the concrete. You can see a woman crying/being comforted towards the end before what appears to be a supervisor who asked the ride attendant, 'Did you check him?'. The woman crying might be his mother.
    What a nightmare, that poor mom. I was surprised the guy filming didnt say anything about the kid falling. Unless he did and I missed it.

Okay, I just watched it again and you can see that there were seatbelts. They were discussing to check them as they were going up. Seeing this kid, he was a TANK and you can see him in the beginning talking to his friends. The bar that comes down covers the entire trunk of the body. I'm wondering if it was not fully latched on him? He was a big kid so maybe they thought it was fully latched and it wasn't? With his weight and the force that the ride travels at, a skimpy seatbelt wouldn't have been able to hold him in

ETA: also, you see his legs moving and kind of struggling before he fell. He was concious
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 03-25-2022 at 11:05 AM.
    Oh well, back to gum.

For some reason I cannot add a picture, but go to this link. You can see the safety harness thing was not secure on him. In the video the chatty attendant yells out for someone on the left to check their seatbelt (even though there are no seatbelts). I am calling pure negligence and the video proves it, as the attendant spent all his time chatting it up with the three people to the right of this boy.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...99861000303236

For some reason I cannot add a picture, but go to this link. You can see the safety harness thing was not secure on him. In the video the chatty attendant yells out for someone on the left to check their seatbelt (even though there are no seatbelts). I am calling pure negligence and the video proves it, as the attendant spent all his time chatting it up with the three people to the right of this boy.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...99861000303236
    You're right. You can kind of see in the video that the arms of the harness were a bit higher than everyone else's. He was literally too big for the ride and probably wanted to go on it so figured he wouldn't say anything and thought he would be able to hold on. The issue is that no matter how hard you hold on, if the harness is rising up in to the air and not anchored, you're going to slip away.

Definitely the fault of the operator. Regardless of if a rider is trying to circumvent the safety features, it's your responsibility to double check everyone before starting the ride.
    Oh well, back to gum.

Okay, I just watched it again and you can see that there were seatbelts. They were discussing to check them as they were going up. Seeing this kid, he was a TANK and you can see him in the beginning talking to his friends. The bar that comes down covers the entire trunk of the body. I'm wondering if it was not fully latched on him? He was a big kid so maybe they thought it was fully latched and it wasn't? With his weight and the force that the ride travels at, a skimpy seatbelt wouldn't have been able to hold him in

ETA: also, you see his legs moving and kind of struggling before he fell. He was concious
    Yeah, by seatbelt I meant the whole harness - almost like a baby in a car seat. May not be foolproof but seems like odds would be better.

I used to go on a ride like this called "Drop Zone" at Great America. But I was 12 and didn't understand the dangers like I do now.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Several people on FB are saying his name was Tyree Samson.

Several people on FB are saying his name was Tyree Samson.
    Confirmation on his name. He was visiting Orlando with a friend and his family.

The 14-year-old boy who fell from Orlando Free Fall ride at ICON Park and died has been identified, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office (OCSO).

Investigators say just after 11 p.m., Thursday, they were called to the park as witnesses reported the 14-year-old boy fell off the Orlando Free Fall ride.

Orange County Sheriff John Mina identified the teen as Tyre Sampson during a press conference Friday afternoon.

"It appears to be a terrible tragedy," Mina said. "Our prayers and thoughts are with the family."

He also said the teen was visiting from Missouri with a friend's family.
    Full article here: https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/...Avr24DR6i1d9ow

In the beginning of the video you can see a worker with a blue shirt on walking around the ride, I'm assuming to check if everyone is strapped in okay. However he isn't even looking at the people on the ride. Just in his own little world. Then, you see the operator in red check the harness of one of the people he was talking to, but nobody else. He starts the ride and yells out, "Yo, check your seatbelts. Off to the left! Seatbelts!" But he clearly didn't physically check them himself.

The employees are fucked.
    Oh well, back to gum.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    This pisses me off on soooo many levels. As a former ride attendant/safety worker at one of the largest and (imo) safest theme parks for several years in my youth, these ride attendants failed at every goddamn chance.

1. You check every rider's shoulder harness. Every time. Including the harnesses where no one is seated. Make sure they are secure.
    2. Immediately upon an accident, you shut the fucking ride down. E Stop button. Slam it and get those people off yesterday.
    3 You fucking get help there ASAP.

Poor kid. Personally I don't understand how this wasn't prevented.

He's obviously a big kid. What likely happened was that he lost consciousness from the height, and, as his shoulder harness wasn't secure, fell from his seat. That's the only way I can envision it happening, unless he was sitting in his seat IN FRONT of his shoulder harness, which would have had to be all the way down.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Now go fuck yourself.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    This pisses me off on soooo many levels. As a former ride attendant/safety worker at one of the largest and (imo) safest theme parks for several years in my youth, these ride attendants failed at every goddamn chance.

1. You check every rider's shoulder harness. Every time. Including the harnesses where no one is seated. Make sure they are secure.
    2. Immediately upon an accident, you shut the fucking ride down. E Stop button. Slam it and get those people off yesterday.
    3 You fucking get help there ASAP.

Poor kid. Personally I don't understand how this wasn't prevented.

He's obviously a big kid. What likely happened was that he lost consciousness from the height, and, as his shoulder harness wasn't secure, fell from his seat. That's the only way I can envision it happening, unless he was sitting in his seat IN FRONT of his shoulder harness, which would have had to be all the way down.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Now go fuck yourself.

Florida, enough said.

Watching the video gave me anxiety. The sound of his body when it landed. AWFUL! R.I.P. Tyree.

Oh and WTF Facebook?! You'll allow graphic content, but I can't joke about someone getting peed on or call guys in general dumb?!
    Last edited by curiouscat; 03-25-2022 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Facebook sucks!
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Poor sweetie was just trying to have some innocent fun with his friends?How heartbreaking. That initial frozen shocked reaction of all the bystanders was so strong I could feel it in my stomach.
    Aside from the obvious negligent restraint issues it seemed like there were other mechanical issues?Ive been on many of those types of rides and they do not stay up at the highest point for that long. RIP Tyre

I guess it was a good idea for me to watch with the sound off

Heres the pic of the kid on the ride. His harness was CLEARLY not secured.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information