Thread: Meat Loaf, 'Bat Out of Hell' singer, dead at 74

Meat Loaf, 'Bat Out of Hell' singer, dead at 74

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/21/enter...bit/index.html

Meat Loaf, the larger-than-life singer whose bombastic rock opera "Bat Out of Hell" is one of the best-selling albums of all time, has died at age 74, according to a statement on his verified Facebook page.

"Our hearts are broken to announce that the incomparable Meat Loaf passed away tonight with his wife Deborah by his side," the statement read. "Daughters Pearl and Amanda and close friends have been with him throughout the last 24 hours."

Meat Loaf's agent confirmed his death to CNN. No cause of death was shared.

"Had So Much Fun With Meatloaf When We Did "Dead Ringer,"" Cher tweeted. "Am Very Sorry For His Family,Friends,& Fans. Am I imagining It, or Are Amazing Ppl In The Arts Dying every other Day."

The singer, whose real name is Marvin Lee Aday, was born in Dallas.

Meat Loaf's two biggest albums -- 1977's "Bat Out of Hell" and the 1993 follow-up "Bat Out of Hell II: Back into Hell" -- produced numerous hit singles, including "Paradise by the Dashboard Light," "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" and "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)."

He also won a Grammy in 1993 for Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance for the song "I'd Do Anything for Love."

Meat Loaf also appeared in several television shows and films, including the cult classic "The Rocky Horror Picture Show," "Fight Club" and "Wayne's World."

The singer acknowledged physical problems had affected his ability to perform. But in November, he posted on Facebook that he'd had four back surgeries and would be back in the studio in the new year.

"The back surgeries hurt everything. Before the back surgeries I was still trying to do shows, that's when some of you saw or heard of me collapsing on stage and finally stopping the tour in the UK. I couldn't hit high notes because of back pain. Not a slight back pain. Pain that would bring you to your knees," he wrote.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 01-21-2022 at 05:14 AM.

I felt like this was coming, but it doesn't make it easier. Those who know me know how important music is in my life, and Meat was a very big part of that. Since a friend of mine took me to see him back in '93 on the Bat 2 tour, I've been a huge fan of the man and the music.

I'll have more to say about this later, but I'm still processing. This is very big for me. I feel like a part of my youth died along with him.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

I didn't even realize he was still alive, kind of shocked he made it to 74....I didn't follow him really but I feel like every picture I saw of him (a long time ago) he didn't look well.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I felt like this was coming, but it doesn't make it easier. Those who know me know how important music is in my life, and Meat was a very big part of that. Since a friend of mine took me to see him back in '93 on the Bat 2 tour, I've been a huge fan of the man and the music.

I'll have more to say about this later, but I'm still processing. This is very big for me. I feel like a part of my youth died along with him.
    I totally understand and am so very sorry.

I'm so sorry. I get it, this happened to me with Elvis Presley, John Lennon, and David Bowie (because I'm old as dirt). Just knocked me for a loop. Music is the soundtrack of life, it reaches into your soul and becomes part of the fabric of your story. It's a harsh reality when that music stops, forces us to consider our own mortality I suppose.

Let yourself grieve. Play the hell outta your Meatloaf collection. Let your heart be heavy. Drink a little, cry a lot. Remember how great he made you feel, celebrate his talent, and know that his music will live on forever, even if the man can't.

Take care.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    I'm so sorry. I get it, this happened to me with Elvis Presley, John Lennon, and David Bowie (because I'm old as dirt). Just knocked me for a loop. Music is the soundtrack of life, it reaches into your soul and becomes part of the fabric of your story. It's a harsh reality when that music stops, forces us to consider our own mortality I suppose.

Let yourself grieve. Play the hell outta your Meatloaf collection. Let your heart be heavy. Drink a little, cry a lot. Remember how great he made you feel, celebrate his talent, and know that his music will live on forever, even if the man can't.

Take care.
    We connect to the artists through their music. Meat Loaf said recently in an interview that the songs don't belong to him - they belong to us, because they're so ingrained in our lives. I see the truth in that.

I'm going to be broadcasting a tribute show to him tomorrow from 1-4pm EST on the small internet radio station I DJ on. I posted about it in a Meat Loaf fan group on Facebook, and I have 250 people saying that they're going to listen. No pressure, right?

If I can bring a few hours of community and happiness to his fans that are really hit by this, then I'll feel good about that.

We connect to the artists through their music. Meat Loaf said recently in an interview that the songs don't belong to him - they belong to us, because they're so ingrained in our lives. I see the truth in that.

I'm going to be broadcasting a tribute show to him tomorrow from 1-4pm EST on the small internet radio station I DJ on. I posted about it in a Meat Loaf fan group on Facebook, and I have 250 people saying that they're going to listen. No pressure, right?

If I can bring a few hours of community and happiness to his fans that are really hit by this, then I'll feel good about that.
    You should post a link here (or if you don't feel comfortable doing it in the thread, then post in Preemie)!

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    You should post a link here (or if you don't feel comfortable doing it in the thread, then post in Preemie)!
    I'm cool posting it here. Tomorrow, Saturday from 1-4pm Eastern Time - join me here for deep cuts, hits and the legacy of Meat Loaf:

https://rlcpartyers.com/rlcp-radio/

I'm cool posting it here. Tomorrow, Saturday from 1-4pm Eastern Time - join me here for deep cuts, hits and the legacy of Meat Loaf:

https://rlcpartyers.com/rlcp-radio/
    I'm sorry to admit that brain fog got the best of me yesterday. I had it in my mind this was going to be from 9-11pm. I was quite disappointed last night to learn I missed it. I hope it went well.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

Also, curious as to your thoughts about this, Nomad. Personally, I think Meat Loaf would have loved it.

Weber Grills apologizes for ill-timed meat loaf recipe email
    Updated: Jan. 21, 2022, 9:33 p.m. | Published: Jan. 21, 2022, 9:33 p.m.

By The Associated Press
    NEW YORK (AP) ? Weber picked the wrong day to suggest grilling meat loaf.

The outdoor grill maker apologized on Friday for sending a recipe-of-the-week email earlier that day featuring instructions on how to prepare ?BBQ Meat Loaf.?

The email coincided with news of the death of Marvin Lee Aday, best known as rock superstar Meat Loaf.

Not long after sending out its recipe, Weber Grills followed up, offering its ?sincerest apologies? to recipients.

?At the time we shared this recipe with you, we were not aware of the unfortunate passing of American singer and actor Mr. Marvin Lee Aday, also known as Meat Loaf,? Weber said. ?We want to express our deepest apologies for this oversight and for any offense this email may have caused.?

The company based in Palatine, Illinois, offered its condolences to Aday?s family and fans, signing off as ?The Weber Family.?

Meat Loaf, who shot to fame on the back of anthems such as ?Paradise By the Dashboard Light? and ?Two Out of Three Ain?t Bad,? died Thursday, according to a family statement provided by his longtime agent Michael Greene. He was 74.
    https://www.pennlive.com/nation-worl...ipe-email.html

I am reading reports (not sure if true, but TMZ is usually correct and has that inside info) that he died after getting Covid.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    I am reading reports (not sure if true, but TMZ is usually correct and has that inside info) that he died after getting Covid.
    I love his music, but this wouldn't surprise me. He was a Trump supporter, sadly, and suspected to be Anti Vax although not hugely vocal about it.

I loved him in Rocky Horror and I grew up with Paradise being a soundtrack to my childhood. It's just a shame that he perhaps made some bad decisions. If he was anti vax then I can't say that I'm surprised.

Sorry, Nomad. No disrespect is meant by that. Just telling it like it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I love his music, but this wouldn't surprise me. He was a Trump supporter, sadly, and suspected to be Anti Vax although not hugely vocal about it.

I loved him in Rocky Horror and I grew up with Paradise being a soundtrack to my childhood. It's just a shame that he perhaps made some bad decisions. If he was anti vax then I can't say that I'm surprised.

He had made statements that he was against it, I believe, but no one can confirm if he was actually vaccinated or not.

My dad is one of those people that goes off about how covid is stupid and just a flu and the vaccine doesn't work. But he still got vaccinated (gotta love hypocrites, ugh).

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post

I agree. It was a poor life decision that led to it if he wasn't vaxxed, especially with all of his health problems in recent years.

So is it pretty much true that he died from Covid?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I agree. It was a poor life decision that led to it if he wasn't vaxxed, especially with all of his health problems in recent years.
    The one thing that I can give him was that he was mainly private about it. He had a huge platform and probably knew that he would possibly affect other people's decisions on it so didn't shout it from the rooftops.

It's still unconfirmed, but since there's silence from his family and his family somewhat alluded to it, I'm thinking that it's sadly true that it's Covid that got him.

Sadder since it could have been prevented and he was a legend in music theater.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.

Thread Information