Thread: Man found alive in Scotland, hospitalized with Covid, after faking death to evade U.S. sex assault charges

Man found alive in Scotland, hospitalized with Covid, after faking death to evade U.S. sex assault charges

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-off-rcna12088

A Rhode Island man who faked his death to evade sexual assault charges was found alive ? and suffering from Covid-19 ? in Scotland, authorities said Thursday.

Nicholas Rossi, who also goes by aliases Nicholas Alahverdian and Nicholas Alahverdian Rossi, is wanted in connection with an alleged 2008 sex assault in Orem, Utah, and a 2018 attack in Ohio, according to a statement by the Utah County Attorney's Office.

He's been arrested and now being watched by police in a Glasgow hospital, officials Utah said.

Utah County Attorney David O. Leavitt admitted that had Rossi not contracted Covid and needed medical care, he'd still probably be living "off the grid" successfully.

"It's a lot more difficult than people imagine," Leavitt told NBC News on Thursday.

"People may not know where you are but with social media, the world is small enough that if anyone sees a picture of you ... if you're going to be off the grid you better stay in your house and never leave because someone is going to see you."

Rossi "fled the country to avoid prosecution" and "attempted to lead investigators and state legislators in other states to believe that he was deceased," according to a statement by Utah prosecutors.

Various news outlets in 2020 cited the memorial website, EverLoved.com, in reporting that Rossi had died on Feb. 29 from non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

"Mr. Rossi was discovered to be living under an assumed name in Scotland," the Utah County Attorney?s Office said. "He has been taken into custody and the Utah County Attorney?s Office is working with federal and international agencies to extradite Mr. Rossi back to Utah. "

Leavitt thanked Orem police and his office's investigators using the latest DNA technology to follow up on the cold 2008 case.

?Our hats are off to the people who stuck with this and made it happen," Leavitt said. "There was lots of hard work behind the scenes."

A Rhode Island lawyer who had previously represented Rossi could not be immediately reached for comment on Thursday. It wasn?t immediately clear on Thursday if Rossi had hired a new attorney to possibly fight extradition.

His obit:https://everloved.com/life-of/nicholas-alahverdian/

In memory of
    Nicholas Alahverdian
    Providence, RI, USA
    July 11, 1987 - February 29, 2020

Nicholas Alahverdian?s battle for life ended on February 29, 2020. The children and families in the care of the Rhode Island Department of Children Youth and Families (DCYF) for whom he inspired and led through turbulent government transgressions have lost a warrior that fought on the front lines for two decades.

Mr. Alahverdian died two months after going public with his diagnosis of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. He was in his 32nd year.

At the bedside were Mrs. Alahverdian, their two children, and extended family. His last words were ?fear not and run toward the bliss of the sun.? At the time of his passing, the room was filled with the sounds of the end credits for the 1997 film ?Contact? by composer Alan Silvestri, a film and score which held special meaning for Mr. Alahverdian.

Mr. Alahverdian was a devout Roman Catholic. In keeping with Mr. Alahverdian?s wishes, his earthly remains were cremated with his ashes scattered at sea.

Statesmen and stateswomen in the House of Representatives and Senate joined with Mayors across Rhode Island in homage to a man whom they acknowledged as ?one of the most vocal, outspoken and constructive advocates for reforming Rhode Island's DCYF and the child care system? and a ?fighter in spirit but a peacemaker in practice? for two decades. His name, when uttered in memoriam in the House and Senate Chambers and City Halls throughout the Ocean State, was a fitting tribute as those were the spaces where Alahverdian labored as a warrior for those without a voice for two decades commenting on not just issues surrounding the Department of Children Youth and Families, but also business, health, public safety, and education.

Providence Mayor Jorge O. Elorza remembered Mr. Alahverdian as "a beloved community leader whose selflessness and lifelong contributions to the residents of the State of Rhode Island have earned him the unwavering admiration and respect of many."

WPRO News, the first news organization to announce the death of Mr. Alahverdian, was a base for him over the years as he told Rhode Islanders of the devastation suffered by children in care on The Buddy Cianci Show, The Dan Yorke Show, and on Steve Klamkin and the Saturday Morning News. The family express gratitude to these journalists, as well as to Bob Kerr, Walt Buteau, Parker Gavigan, and Dan McGowan who all became close confidantes in Mr. Alahverdian?s two decade war on DCYF to spark its overhaul and reform.

As the world comes to a halt due to the coronavirus, the public memorial service will be planned at the end of the pandemic and details will be published on the official Alahverdian Center for Child Welfare Facebook page at facebook.com/nicholas.alahver? as well as at nicholasalahverdian.com

Rhode Island politics, which are often fraught with tension, were put aside when House Speaker Nicholas A. Mattiello remembered Mr. Alahverdian from the House Rostrum following the introduction of a House Resolution in his honor, unanimously supported by the entire House of Representatives. Earlier in the month, the House adjourned with a moment of silence in memory of Mr. Alahverdian

Alahverdian was a product of the Providence Renaissance, never forgetting the Ciancian transformation of an industrial city to a cosmopolitan destination where one was proud to be from Providence. He enjoyed a great friendship with the late Mayor Vincent A. Cianci, Jr.

Mr. Alahverdian was a painter, author, amateur ornithologist, political scientist, sociologist, accomplished orator, and child welfare reform advocate.

He spent 20 years in the House of Representatives and the Senate, where he not only served as a state employee at the age of 14, but also provided lawmakers with insight into the abusive DCYF practices which have sparked calls for reform from all four corners of Rhode Island as he was abused in DCYF care simultaneous to his employment with the government. Alahverdian left his employment to became the youngest lobbyist in Rhode Island history as he fought for DCYF reform and was then exiled to Nebraska and Florida where he was silenced until his 18th birthday.

Surviving what Providence Journal columnist Bob Kerr called a Dickensian existence in Rhode Island and enduring war-like torture in Nebraska and Florida was a triumph of sheer will. He overcame severe beatings and rapes and the facilities were ultimately closed after Alahverdian shined a light on the abuse. Alahverdian continued his crusade against DCYF abuses until his death, and with merely two weeks prior to his untimely passing, a bill creating a DCYF oversight commission was introduced in his honor by Rep. Ray Hull as the stories about DCYF horrors continue to be reported and published.

He again did the unthinkable and was admitted to and became an alum of Harvard University, the most peaceful and intellectually invigorating four years of his life aside from the past four years with his young loving family including his beloved wife and cherished children.

Mr. Alahverdian leaves many friends ranging from the world of politics to music to business and beyond. The family thank with utmost gratitude Dr. Jeffrey Hunt, Bob Kerr, the Hon. Ray Hull, Hon. Bob DaSilva, Hon. Joanne Giannini, Hon. John Lombardi, Hon. Anastasia Williams, Hon. Maryellen Goodwin, Hon. Josh Miller, Hon. Allan Fung, Hon. Sheldon Whitehouse, Hon. Jeffrey Pine, the professors Dr. John Hamilton, Dr. Theo Theoharis, Dr. Thomas Underwood, all of Harvard University; Rhode Island Music Hall of Fame artist Rudy Cheeks, friends Saling Simon, Leah Cooke, and Leslie Twining, and countless others who filled the last third of his life with love, joy, excitement, and wonder.

Besides his immediate family, Mr. Alahverdian?s survivors include his uncles Michael and Edward Alahverdian, his cousins Michael, Melissa, and Neil; and numerous siblings, half-siblings, nephews, and nieces.

Condolences to the family can be sent to info@nicholasalahverdian.com or at the online condolence book on EverLoved.com

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    At the bedside were Mrs. Alahverdian, their two children, and extended family.
    I am so confused by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    I guess they were all in on it? Thats the only thing that makes sense.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I guess they were all in on it? Thats the only thing that makes sense.
    Yep. And the wife should face charges too. Anyone aiding and abetting.

I'd love to know how he was able to live in Scotland without being legal. Unlike here, Europe has always been pretty protective of immigration. Unlike here, they aren't countries built on immigrants so aren't expected to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.

Oooh, this happened in my favorite little corner of the world!

This is a long article, but worth the read, it explains a lot and gives a peek into the mind of this diabolical malignant narcissist. I have no doubt he is guilty of the rapes, I think he's capable of just about anything. Plus, he's creepy looking.

Link to the article: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...death-26023334

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I'd love to know how he was able to live in Scotland without being legal. Unlike here, Europe has always been pretty protective of immigration.
    It's easy enough. They give you a hard time coming across the border, but there is no follow-up harassment. I've lived in five European countries. Unlike mainland Europe, in the UK, your immigration status isn't tied to things like obtaining an apartment, cell phone, etc. A friend of mine, oblivious to UK immigration laws, came to Edinburgh on vacation, loved it so much she rented an apartment and stayed for two years. She didn't even know she wasn't compliant until she asked why we left the UK every six months and I explained the laws.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Oooh, this happened in my favorite little corner of the world!

This is a long article, but worth the read, it explains a lot and gives a peek into the mind of this diabolical malignant narcissist. I have no doubt he is guilty of the rapes, I think he's capable of just about anything. Plus, he's creepy looking.

Link to the article: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...death-26023334

It's easy enough. They give you a hard time coming across the border, but there is no follow-up harassment. I've lived in five European countries. Unlike mainland Europe, in the UK, your immigration status isn't tied to things like obtaining an apartment, cell phone, etc. A friend of mine, oblivious to UK immigration laws, came to Edinburgh on vacation, loved it so much she rented an apartment and stayed for two years. She didn't even know she wasn't compliant until she asked why we left the UK every six months and I explained the laws.
    Well that's good to know since I'll be moving to Ireland. I already know that it's as easy as declaring that I'm going to be a resident with the local police station. I was concerned with being able to work right away, but by all accounts it's not an issue. When Hubby came here he couldn't legally work for 6 months. I want to start earning my own money right away, yo. It will help me feel more secure.
    Oh well, back to gum.

Well that's good to know since I'll be moving to Ireland. I already know that it's as easy as declaring that I'm going to be a resident with the local police station. I was concerned with being able to work right away, but by all accounts it's not an issue. When Hubby came here he couldn't legally work for 6 months. I want to start earning my own money right away, yo. It will help me feel more secure.
    Are you still going in March? Our sailing back to the UK was cancelled again. Now we're scheduled for a 12 March departure - 16 day crossing. It's been too long, I'm more than ready to get back.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Are you still going in March? Our sailing back to the UK was cancelled again. Now we're scheduled for a 12 March departure - 16 day crossing. It's been too long, I'm more than ready to get back.
    I don't think it's happening that quickly now. I'm thinking more like June or July now. But definitely this year. It's a matter of getting things organized and ready to ship while getting the dogs situated. Selling our stuff and the business etc. When we discussed it, he wanted to leave by February. This was back in November. I knew that was unrealistic and told him June. He refused so I compromised on March knowing that it would probably take longer. Now that the holiday rush is over for our business, we're currently cleaning stuff out, deciding what's coming with us, researching the shipping etc. So, it'll happen in the coming months for sure.
    Oh well, back to gum.

I don't think it's happening that quickly now. I'm thinking more like June or July now. But definitely this year. It's a matter of getting things organized and ready to ship while getting the dogs situated. Selling our stuff and the business etc. When we discussed it, he wanted to leave by February. This was back in November. I knew that was unrealistic and told him June. He refused so I compromised on March knowing that it would probably take longer. Now that the holiday rush is over for our business, we're currently cleaning stuff out, deciding what's coming with us, researching the shipping etc. So, it'll happen in the coming months for sure.
    I has questions. Moving this conversation over to MDS Pets.

Thread Information