Thread: Joseph Martinez (49) arrested in 1999 cold case murder of Minerliz "Minnie" Soriano (13)

Joseph Martinez (49) arrested in 1999 cold case murder of Minerliz "Minnie" Soriano (13)

https://abc7ny.com/joseph-martinez-a...ronx/11285483/

New details were revealed during an arraignment for the suspect charged in the 22-year-old murder of a 13-year-old girl in the Bronx.

Joseph Martinez, 49, was arraigned Tuesday following his arrest on Monday.

He is accused of killing 13-year-old Minerliz "Minnie" Soriano in the Bronx in 1999.

Soriano's body was discovered in a dumpster. She was apparently on her way home in Co-Op City at the time of the murder.

Officials allege that Martinez, who now goes by "Jupiter Joe" and teaches astronomy to children, strangled the victim sometime between Feb. 24 and Feb. 28 of that year.

She died during a sex assault, according to the unsealed grand jury indictment.

"This beautiful little girl was treated less than human, it has been 22 years since her life was cruelly taken but detectives never gave up on finding justice for her and her family," said Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark.

Police say advanced DNA technology helped them make the arrest after a newly available DNA test linked Martinez to the murder.

It's the first time the technology was used in New York City.

The NYPD's commanding officer of the forensics investigation division said detectives found the father of suspect which then led them to Martinez. He says it's like building a family tree, by searching for specific familial DNA.
    Martinez's attorney called the case "unusual" and said he denies the allegations. He noted his client is 49 years old and has no criminal record. He has pleaded not guilty.

"The case is pretty unusual in that Mr. Martinez is 49 years old, he has no criminal history," attorney Troy Smith said. "It's unusual that a 49-year-old man would have his first criminal contact at this age. He denies these allegations."

However, prosecutors say they have mounds of evidence against him.

"This case brings together modern science and traditional investigative work along with the determination to give up on justice for an innocent little girl," said Inspector Neteis Gilbert, executive officer of the detective bureau.

He's a teacher?? Ugh, that's scary.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/04/us/jo...ion/index.html

Exclusive: A 13-year-old girl's murder over two decades ago haunted NYPD detectives. Here's how they finally cracked open the cold case

Thread Information