Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: What an Amazing Coincidence!

  1. #1
    Senior Member KimTisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    6,982
    Rep Power
    21474858

    What an Amazing Coincidence!

    This is my first attempt to start a thread, so bear with me, folks.

    This is a place to share stories of those moments in your life we most commonly call 'Coincidence.' Those seemingly random, unexplainable, same place/same time moments (physical or mental) that just blow your mind. I was browsing through my old journals recently and realized just how often it has happened to me. I'm sure you all have plenty of good stories, please share them.

    I'll start with the story of a chance meeting in the Scottish Highlands.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

  2. #2
    Senior Member KimTisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    6,982
    Rep Power
    21474858

    A Chance Meeting in the Scottish Highlands

    Years ago we were in the Scottish Highlands, sitting at a table for two in a practically empty restaurant. Only one other couple was seated across the room - 30+ tables sit empty between us. Another couple enters, and the waitress starts leading them in the direction of our table. I lean forward and whisper to Mr. Tish, "All of these empty tables and she's going to put them near us?!?!" And sure enough, she sat them at the table right next to us, literally less than a foot away. The man took an exaggerated glance around the empty room, looked at us, and shrugged like, "WTF???" We all giggled awkwardly, and we returned to our food and conversation while they perused the menu.

    It was difficult to have a conversation though, because we could hear everything they said and vice versa. The tables were so close it was like 4 people at a table all talking at once. Eventually, the man leaned over and delivered a classic Scottish conversation opener - "My, it sounds like you're far away from home!" This started an exchange about Mr. T's Scottish heritage and his love of genealogy, which piqued their interest. He asked where my husband's family emigrated from. The ensuing conversation went something like this (names have been changed because, public thread):

    Mr T: It's a tiny village on the west coast about a hundred miles from here, you've probably never heard of it.

    Mr Unk: Try me.

    Mr T: My ancestors emigrated from Port Applefeck in 1763.

    Mr Unk (surprised): Really?! We're from Port Applefeck!

    Mr T: Wow, what a coincidence. We were just there last month, and [Kimtisha] took a photograph of a General Contracting truck bearing the family name - McGillacuddy!

    Mr Unk : I'm a McGillacuddy, and that was probably MY truck! Who are your ancestors????

    Mr T: My 4x gr-grandfather was Daniel McGillacuddy, who married a Sally McPherson from the Isle of Lotsasheep.

    Mrs Unk : I'm a McPherson from Lotsasheep, and THIS [pointing to her husband] is your cousin, Daniel McGillacuddy!

    It was one of the most surreal moments of my life. I thought a couple of total strangers were pranking us, until he pulled out his driver's license. What are the feckin' odds? Both of us MILES away from home, in an empty restaurant, and they sit us together. We have kept in touch and see Daniel and Anie whenever we can. Anie and Mr. Tish (the family historians) have helped one another fill gaps in the family tree.

    I try to remember that day whenever I feel slightly intruded upon by a stranger, and it really keeps my attitude in check. It might be another surreal moment in the making. Maybe that annoying little old lady in the supermarket who won't stop asking me questions is really my 3rd cousin 4x removed!

    Footnote: Years after this happened, we were standing in front of the "post office" on a sparsely populated island in the Inner Hebrides and a pick-up truck passed us, came to a screeching halt, and reversed. Daniel leaped out of the cab, "Cousin!" Again, both of us far from home, neither of us knew the other was going to be there that day. He just happened to be passing by and noticed us standing there.

    How do you explain this?
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

  3. #3
    Scoopski Potatoes Nic B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    10,833
    Rep Power
    21474857
    That is such a cool story!

    I am sure I am have one or 2, will have to think of them. I am at work so my brain is feeling like mush lol.


    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

  4. #4
    Moderator puzzld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    20,643
    Rep Power
    21474871
    Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    How do you explain this?
    I can't explain it, but it's the reason you never want to time travel, because sure as the world you'll end up killing your own grandfather and you'll destroy the world, or you'll end up married to you're great-grandson...
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

  5. #5
    Senior Member KimTisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    6,982
    Rep Power
    21474858
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I can't explain it, but it's the reason you never want to time travel, because sure as the world you'll end up killing your own grandfather and you'll destroy the world, or you'll end up married to you're great-grandson...


    Agree Puzz! This kind of stuff has happened to me quite often considering the odds of it happening at all. The World is trying to tell me something. So no time travel for me.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

  6. #6
    What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    20,196
    Rep Power
    21474865
    I think that these things happen for a reason. See, I'm not religious at all, but I also don't believe that there isn't some kind of tie or "push" or higher being out there. Now, that might even be aliens for all I know. Messing with us. However, something started it all off at some point.

    People meet for a reason and sometimes if it doesn't "take" the first or second time, they're put in the same place again until they connect. That could be within one lifetime or many and they may meet in every lifetime in different forms.

    The reason I know that it isn't just chance is that some people give off an energy that I want to be around and they feed each others energies in a positive way. Then there are "energy vampires" that drain the fuck out of you. Everybody has experienced both of these things at some point in their lives and if it was just "nothing", that wouldn't be the case. Religion or Spirituality doesn't even have to explain that, because even science does. Certain elements when put together create amazing things while others become deadly when they mingle

    We are stardust, but that stardust holds some kind of power. I just don't know what yet and probably never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

  7. #7
    Kool-Aid Drinker curiouscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,061
    Rep Power
    21474846
    Here's one for you, KT.

    Last week for my husband's birthday, we went to a barbecue restaurant to get him some prime rib.
    I was sitting in the car waiting for my husband to come back out after he paid and got our food.
    This employee comes up to the car and says, "Are you CC?" I told her yes. She said, "Here's your prime rib plate."
    I thought it was kind of strange for this employee to be bringing me food since my husband was supposed to be picking it up from inside, but I assumed she was saving us some time.
    I told her thank you and then my husband comes up to the car with a bag of food.
    The employee looked confused and said, "You're CC? And you're in a red Mazda 3."
    Long story short, another girl with my exact first name (my name isn't that common) with my exact car color, make, and model, ordered a prime rib plate.
    We almost wanted to wait and see what this other girl looked like.
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    "he had Skittles so he could have made drugs".
    Quote Originally Posted by daisylane View Post
    Yo mama such a ho, that Foursquare has made her vag a place to "check in".

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Chesapeake Beach, Md
    Posts
    302
    Rep Power
    15436385
    I once ran into a guy who knew my name and I knew his but neither of us could remember where or how we knew each other.

  9. #9
    Romulus Angiebla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    13,126
    Rep Power
    21474858
    We went to Gatlinburg recently, with my in laws. We all drove seperate. They left an hour before we did, but somehow we ended up behind them on the highway. Turns out their kid got sick and they had to pullover to a gas station, and it took about a half an hour to clean her up. What are the chances of being directly behind them?

    Shit like that always happens with my family. My mom calls it our "family radar".

    "The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

  10. #10
    Senior Member KimTisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    6,982
    Rep Power
    21474858
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I think that these things happen for a reason. See, I'm not religious at all, but I also don't believe that there isn't some kind of tie or "push" or higher being out there. Now, that might even be aliens for all I know. Messing with us. However, something started it all off at some point.

    People meet for a reason and sometimes if it doesn't "take" the first or second time, they're put in the same place again until they connect. That could be within one lifetime or many and they may meet in every lifetime in different forms.

    The reason I know that it isn't just chance is that some people give off an energy that I want to be around and they feed each others energies in a positive way. Then there are "energy vampires" that drain the fuck out of you. Everybody has experienced both of these things at some point in their lives and if it was just "nothing", that wouldn't be the case. Religion or Spirituality doesn't even have to explain that, because even science does. Certain elements when put together create amazing things while others become deadly when they mingle

    We are stardust, but that stardust holds some kind of power. I just don't know what yet and probably never will.
    Yes to everything you said up there. Especially the "we are stardust" part.

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilzAdvocate View Post
    I once ran into a guy who knew my name and I knew his but neither of us could remember where or how we knew each other.
    So you didn't have schools or career connections in common? That is VERY strange. I'm going to go with Past Life on this one.
    Or a drunken weekend.

    Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    We went to Gatlinburg recently, with my in laws. We all drove seperate. They left an hour before we did, but somehow we ended up behind them on the highway. Turns out their kid got sick and they had to pullover to a gas station, and it took about a half an hour to clean her up. What are the chances of being directly behind them?

    Shit like that always happens with my family. My mom calls it our "family radar".
    I think your Mom is probably right. I would imagine the "connection/attraction" would be even stronger among close family members, right? Especially since you say it happens all the time. I don't know how to explain these things, but I find them fascinating.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

  11. #11
    Senior Member KimTisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    6,982
    Rep Power
    21474858
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Here's one for you, KT.

    Last week for my husband's birthday, we went to a barbecue restaurant to get him some prime rib.
    I was sitting in the car waiting for my husband to come back out after he paid and got our food.
    This employee comes up to the car and says, "Are you CC?" I told her yes. She said, "Here's your prime rib plate."
    I thought it was kind of strange for this employee to be bringing me food since my husband was supposed to be picking it up from inside, but I assumed she was saving us some time.
    I told her thank you and then my husband comes up to the car with a bag of food.
    The employee looked confused and said, "You're CC? And you're in a red Mazda 3."
    Long story short, another girl with my exact first name (my name isn't that common) with my exact car color, make, and model, ordered a prime rib plate.
    We almost wanted to wait and see what this other girl looked like.
    Yeah, this one is REALLY freaky. I think I would have had to stick around and see this girl; but I'm telling you, she never would have shown up, because YOU were already there. You came THISCLOSE to meeting yourself - from another dimension! Like Sliding Doors. Or Back to the Future.

    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

  12. #12
    Senior Member KimTisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    6,982
    Rep Power
    21474858

    Not My Coincidence

    Aaaaagh, triple post!

    But here's another one....

    My cousin Roger and his fiancee were driving down a dark, winding country road, when they came upon a violent head-on collision. Both are EMTs and their training kicked into gear. There were no streetlights and it was a moonless night. With only their car's headlights to guide them, she groped around in the dark and checked the occupants of one car while he checked the other.

    She reported she couldn't find a pulse and thought her driver was dead. His driver was barely alive and badly injured.

    It was only when the police and EMTs arrived and lit up the scene, that they learned the identities of the accident victims. Roger, had checked the vehicle driven by his Uncle Bill, and Maria had checked the vehicle driven by her Uncle Max.

    Max had suffered a massive heart attack behind the wheel and died instantly. Uncle Bill lived for another 20 years or so.

    How crazy is that?!

    Ang: That's more of that 'family radar' stuff. Both sides in this case!
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Chesapeake Beach, Md
    Posts
    302
    Rep Power
    15436385
    Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    So you didn't have schools or career connections in common? That is VERY strange. I'm going to go with Past Life on this one.
    Or a drunken weekend.
    We never worked together nor went to the same school. We couldn't connect friends or anything in our past and talked for about an hour trying to figure it out.... nothing... The really weird thing is neither of us seemed freaked out about it. I didn't feel connected to him in anyway and we didn't exchange phone numbers or anything, just said, "Well, see ya' later." and it was over. I've never seen him again.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Chesapeake Beach, Md
    Posts
    302
    Rep Power
    15436385
    Here's some more:

    A couple years ago, my daughter Sarah and I were at the beach about 80 miles from where we live when she saw a phone sitting on a bench with no one around. She said, "That's my friend's phone." and picked it up. It looked just like any phone to me... We had no idea her friend (also named Sarah) was there but we found her about 20 yards away getting ice cream with her dad at the same ice cream place my daugher and I were headed over to. It WAS her friend's phone.

    I was returning home from a trip to California on a "red eye" when I found a checkbook lying on the floor of the airport terminal. I opened it up and saw an address that was about 5 miles from where I lived in Maryland. I figured I'd return it once I got home. When I got on the airplane I recognized a woman sitting in the very back of the plane as a frequent customer of the pizza restaurant I was worked at at the time. I realized it was her checkbook and walked up to her and handed it to her. Since I was not wearing my "pizza uniform" she had no idea who I was and was pretty freaked out.

    In a theme bar in Orlando I ran into an old girlfriend I had dated in high school while I was on vacation with my current (at the time) girlfriend. All of us were from Maryland. Unbeknownst to me, the old girlfriend was now living in Florida and working there as a waitress. The old GF and I still carried a small flame for each other and our conversation got a little too personal as we laughed about our antics BITD. It understandably ticked off my current GF at the time whom I had never had any "antics" with.

    Weird shit used to happen to me all the time. Not so much anymore. Last night I sat around and rebuilt the wiring harness and the joystick on an old Ms Pac Man arcade game...

  15. #15
    Senior Member KimTisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    6,982
    Rep Power
    21474858
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilzAdvocate View Post
    Here's some more:

    A couple years ago, my daughter Sarah and I were at the beach about 80 miles from where we live when she saw a phone sitting on a bench with no one around. She said, "That's my friend's phone." and picked it up. It looked just like any phone to me... We had no idea her friend (also named Sarah) was there but we found her about 20 yards away getting ice cream with her dad at the same ice cream place my daugher and I were headed over to. It WAS her friend's phone.

    I was returning home from a trip to California on a "red eye" when I found a checkbook lying on the floor of the airport terminal. I opened it up and saw an address that was about 5 miles from where I lived in Maryland. I figured I'd return it once I got home. When I got on the airplane I recognized a woman sitting in the very back of the plane as a frequent customer of the pizza restaurant I was worked at at the time. I realized it was her checkbook and walked up to her and handed it to her. Since I was not wearing my "pizza uniform" she had no idea who I was and was pretty freaked out.

    In a theme bar in Orlando I ran into an old girlfriend I had dated in high school while I was on vacation with my current (at the time) girlfriend. All of us were from Maryland. Unbeknownst to me, the old girlfriend was now living in Florida and working there as a waitress. The old GF and I still carried a small flame for each other and our conversation got a little too personal as we laughed about our antics BITD. It understandably ticked off my current GF at the time whom I had never had any "antics" with.

    Weird shit used to happen to me all the time. Not so much anymore. Last night I sat around and rebuilt the wiring harness and the joystick on an old Ms Pac Man arcade game...
    Whoa, they are pretty significant 'coincidences!' Especially the phone and the checkbook, because it was an object that [unknowingly] led you to people you knew.

    Bumping into someone you know when you're both far from home is a mind-blower in any sense, because it seems so random in such a big world, right?

    Four years ago, I ran into my mother's 87yo neighbor on a hilltop in a tiny village in Italy (not a tourist destination by any means). I grew up 3 houses away from her my entire life. I was taking photos, turned around and there she was standing behind me! I was stunned and couldn't believe my eyes. "Mrs. Simmons??????" "KimTisha?!?!?!"

    My daughter's BFF was visiting us from the States and took a side trip to Paris where he was promptly relieved of his money. Unbeknownst to us, he had spent his first two days in the city sleeping in train stations. In desperation he called us for help, and we were in the process of pointing him to the Western Union office when he said, "You're not going to believe this, but my Aunt and Uncle [from Pennsylvania] are walking toward me right now. I didn't even know they were in Paris!"

    As my neighbor says: It's a small world after all, but I wouldn't want to paint it!
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •