Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seattle Fire Dept Deputy Chief Jay Schreckengost (56) found dead two weeks after going missing while on a hunting trip in eastern Washington

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Seattle Fire Dept Deputy Chief Jay Schreckengost (56) found dead two weeks after going missing while on a hunting trip in eastern Washington

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...5-214ffa084f59

Multiple agencies are involved in a search for a Seattle Fire Department deputy chief reported missing during a hunting trip in eastern Washington.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-25-2022 at 02:17 PM.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Someone mistook him for a deer. That's what I think happened. Either that or he decided to off himself. Doesn't sound like that's the case, but stranger things have happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Someone mistook him for a deer. That's what I think happened. Either that or he decided to off himself. Doesn't sound like that's the case, but stranger things have happened.
    OK, we've got BB down for shot dead, either accidental or otherwise.

A good possibility, but not the only one. In the woods alone? Anything could happen. Fell down the mountainside, encountered a bear or other preditor, some natural cause like a heart attack or he threw a covid blood clot, is just lost and will be found by searchers...

I'm going with a heart attack or stroke/blood clot. (do we know how old this guy is?) His LinkedIn says he's got 31 years with the Seattle FD so?? 50s? Yeah going with medical event.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I'm with puzz and going with medical event too!

There is actually a show about hunters that go missing its called Missing 411: The hunted. You would be surprised how often these hunters disappear without a trace.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    There is actually a show about hunters that go missing its called Missing 411: The hunted. You would be surprised how often these hunters disappear without a trace.
    We still lose a couple every year or so, but it used to be 6-10 every year... of course, more people hunted and they didn't have cell phones to call for help if they got in trouble (that's still iffy around here) and survival gear is better now. And then there's this... https://www.kansascity.com/news/nati...255331021.html
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

I'm going with he got lost (seems easy when going into a big area where everything looks the same, you're tracking a deer and not paying attention to how far you have wandered off...), then he had a medical issue.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I'm going with he got lost (seems easy when going into a big area where everything looks the same, you're tracking a deer and not paying attention to how far you have wandered off...), then he had a medical issue.
    This. Or alien abduction, but there's no mention of crop circles, so yeah.... lost plus medical issue. He's not where they think he should be, if he was shot or just had a medical emergency they would have found him by now.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

The more days go by with nobody finding a body and I'm looking less and less correct.

Curious what his personal life was like because I'm wondering if he ran off to start a new life/mid life crisis
    I can be your *ADDICTION* if you wanna get hooked on something!!

Quote Originally Posted by nclexusgirl View Post
    Curious what his personal life was like because I'm wondering if he ran off to start a new life/mid life crisis
    This is possible. Like KT mentioned, if he were dead where he was supposed to have been they would have found him by now.

This is possible. Like KT mentioned, if he were dead where he was supposed to have been they would have found him by now.
    There was snow forecast for the higher elevations last week. If there's snow on the ground, that'd make him much harder to find. But I don't know how much fell...

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    There was snow forecast for the higher elevations last week. If there's snow on the ground, that'd make him much harder to find. But I don't know how much fell...
    Didn't I read up there somewhere that this guy is a "survivalist?" Even if he wandered off course and "got lost," he's a survivalist - he's not out there without gear, compass, etc. If anybody could have gotten himself out of this situation it would have been him. He's fifty-six years old, hunters have heart attacks all the time during hunting season. My neighbor went hunting alone and (presumably) had a heart attack, but no one knew where he was going and he wasn't found for 7 months. I fear something like this has happened to the fire chief. I hope he's found alive, but I'm quickly losing hope, especially with the weather conditions the way they are.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...tains-rcna5576

Missing Seattle deputy fire chief, subject of dayslong search, found dead in mountains
    Sadly saw that coming. Now just waiting to find out how he died.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...tains-rcna5576

Missing Seattle deputy fire chief, subject of dayslong search, found dead in mountains
    Okay, like Nic mentioned. I'm curious to hear the COD.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be a heart event. He was only half a mile from where his truck was found. That's not an unreasonable distance when you're tracking elk. I'm surprised it took this long to find him, actually.

I'm glad his family will have answers. Rest in peace, Chief Schreckengost...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is going to be a heart event. He was only half a mile from where his truck was found. That's not an unreasonable distance when you're tracking elk. I'm surprised it took this long to find him, actually.

I wonder if it's because he was wearing camo?

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post

A half mile?! Those searchers suck. I mean, you'd think they couldn't go ten minutes in without tripping over him and what about the smell? FFS.

A half mile?! Those searchers suck. I mean, you'd think they couldn't go ten minutes in without tripping over him and what about the smell? FFS.

LOL it was totally a legit thing that came to mind. I mean, it would be pretty tough to find someone who blends in with all the leaves and trees!

It looks like there's some pretty dense ground cover and if there's snow? he'd be pretty invisible. And if it's cool, there wouldn't be much smell.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@46.8796...=en&authuser=0

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    It looks like there's some pretty dense ground cover and if there's snow? he'd be pretty invisible. And if it's cool, there wouldn't be much smell.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@46.8796...=en&authuser=0
    I guess I've officially lost my cold climate card because I never even thought of how the cold weather could effect the decomp. *she says as she's sweating to death in 90 degree weather in November*

I was thinking the same thing, but didnt say anything. A half mile? Even if it was dense in that area they should have found him.

I dont know why, but every time I hear about a hunter dying I automatically think they accidently got shot by another hunter. But this guy was solo, so it probably wasnt the case. Could he have gotten injured and succumbed to the elements?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, but didnt say anything. A half mile? Even if it was dense in that area they should have found him.

I dont know why, but every time I hear about a hunter dying I automatically think they accidently got shot by another hunter. But this guy was solo, so it probably wasnt the case. Could he have gotten injured and succumbed to the elements?

I'm betting he had a heart attack, covid blood clot, or the like and died quickly. If he just broke an ankle or something, I'd have expected him to be able to call for help on his cell... but I don't know what kind of cell coverage they have in that area. Around here you lose cell coverage before you get very far into the woods so idk.

That's a really good point, didn't think of it. But doesn't Washington State require hunters to wear something orange for safety? I know not all States do.

That's a really good point, didn't think of it. But doesn't Washington State require hunters to wear something orange for safety? I know not all States do.

Thread Information