Thread: Shirley Duong (34) missing from Echo Park, CA since 10/27/2021

Shirley Duong (34) missing from Echo Park, CA since 10/27/2021

https://abc7.com/shirley-duong-missi...rson/11183614/

A missing woman's friends on Friday posted hundreds of flyers in the Echo Park area, hoping to enlist the public's help in finding her.

Shirley Duong, a 34-year-old resident of Monterey Park, has not been seen since Monday. Her car was found abandoned Wednesday near the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Sutherland Street in Echo Park.

"We've seen some footage of her walking up and down this street, so we're led to believe that she's in this area," Duong's friend Jake Bachman told ABC7. "She is not mentally in a great state of mind."

Friends say Duong suffers from depression. They have been canvassing the area north of downtown Los Angeles, posting flyers and searching for her.

Duong left home without a cellphone or her wallet. She was last wearing a bright blue hoodie and jeans.

"Being a young woman out in the streets -- especially at night -- she's very at-risk," Bachman said. "She could potentially run into some trouble, so we just want to make sure we get her home quickly as possible."

Duong's is described as 5 feet 4 inches tall, weighing about 105 pounds, with wavy, dark brown hair. She wears glasses with dark frames.

Anyone with information about her whereabouts is asked to call the Monterey Park Police Department at (626) 573-1311.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Yikes. Echo Park is not a great area. She lives the next town over from me. That's some scary stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Yikes. Echo Park is not a great area. She lives the next town over from me. That's some scary stuff.
    The only things I know about Echo Park I learned from reading the Bosch series, lol.

Well this is a different story from what they were first saying.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021...monterey-park/

Shirley Duong was last seen on Oct. 25 by her sister. Duong told her sister she was going to meet a friend and never returned home. Her family found her car parked in front of their former home in Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Well this is a different story from what they were first saying.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021...monterey-park/
    The term "Los Angeles" is used gratuitously here for just about any city. Woodland Hills, for instance, is considered to be a part of the city of LA even though it's about 25 miles from downtown. Echo Park is also city of LA since it doesn't have it's own city council etc. Basically it's a part of Los Angeles. So perhaps her car was still located in the Echo Park section of Los Angeles.

ETA: It's a little bizarre because where I live is NOT considered the city of LA even though I'm only about 4 miles from downtown while cities that are WAY far away still are. It depends on if the areas incorporate themselves as independent or not to escape the local politics of LA.
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 11-12-2021 at 08:58 AM.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

The term "Los Angeles" is used gratuitously here for just about any city. Woodland Hills, for instance, is considered to be a part of the city of LA even though it's about 25 miles from downtown. Echo Park is also city of LA since it doesn't have it's own city council etc. Basically it's a part of Los Angeles. So perhaps her car was still located in the Echo Park section of Los Angeles.

ETA: It's a little bizarre because where I live is NOT considered the city of LA even though I'm only about 4 miles from downtown while cities that are WAY far away still are. It depends on if the areas incorporate themselves as independent or not to escape the local politics of LA.
    I wonder if that's a California thing, because it's the same here. I actually live in Citrus Heights, which is in Sacramento. There is also Fair Oaks, Orangevale, Carmichael, North Highlands, etc. All considered Sacramento but if you are mailing something you won't put Sacramento as the city. BUT (here is the confusing part) some DO have Sacramento as their city. It's all very strange. I put Sacramento as my location here because otherwise people would be all like, where the hell is Citrus Heights?? lol.

Except Citrus Heights may now be known thanks to the Golden State Killer

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

"She's not mentally in a great state of mind." I'm not sure what that means exactly, in this situation, but it can't be good. Prayers for her safe return.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Except Citrus Heights may now be known thanks to the Golden State Killer
    You're in GSK country? Scary!
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Does it have anything to do with LA being a county as well? Maybe unincorporated places identify as LA because LA county provides services? We call our area Rapid City and it's our mailing address but all of our LE and gov services come from the county.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Does it have anything to do with LA being a county as well? Maybe unincorporated places identify as LA because LA county provides services? We call our area Rapid City and it's our mailing address but all of our LE and gov services come from the county.
    Not really. County services is more the roads and parks etc. Woodland Hills has Garcetti as their mayor even though it's WAY far away from downtown LA. So their local elections and representatives are Los Angeles despite the distance from actual Los Angeles. Here's an example of how bizarre it is that they are considered "Los Angeles".

Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 11-13-2021 at 11:32 AM.
    Oh well, back to gum.

Here is why it's possible that when they said that her car was found in "Los Angeles" that it was still Echo Park they were talking about. Monterey Park is not Los Angeles as they're independently incorporated as their own city. Like where I live.

Oh well, back to gum.

I just wondered cause I still hear "On July 20th, trial was held in Department 184 Superior Court of the State of California, in and for the county of Los Angeles. In a moment the results of that trial."

Dragnet FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I just wondered cause I still hear "On July 20th, trial was held in Department 184 Superior Court of the State of California, in and for the county of Los Angeles. In a moment the results of that trial."

Dragnet FTW

Same! That was one of my faves along with "Emergency".

ETA: Point of interest regarding Echo Park. This is why I say it's not the greatest area. Scroll down even further on the link I provided and you'll see that you'll be spending a million dollars for a home in this area. Awesome real estate market out here.

Key findings
    Echo Park crime rates are 26% higher than the national average.
    Violent crimes in Echo Park are 53% higher than the national average.
    In Echo Park you have a 1 in 32 chance of becoming a victim of crime.
    Echo Park is safer than 38% of the cities in California.
    https://www.areavibes.com/los+angele...ho+park/crime/
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 11-13-2021 at 03:58 PM.
    Oh well, back to gum.

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    "She's not mentally in a great state of mind." I'm not sure what that means exactly, in this situation, but it can't be good. Prayers for her safe return.

You're in GSK country? Scary!
    Yep. Turns out he was living 10 mins away from me. Also, the street he was living on is the street of my hubby's childhood home. AND a few minutes from my kids' school at the time (when they were in k-8).

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Thread Information