Thread: Jeff Page AKA "General Jeff" Died from Congestive Heart Failure 10-23-2021

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar

Jeff Page AKA "General Jeff" Died from Congestive Heart Failure 10-23-2021

This one is a hard one for me as I personally knew him from my work on Skid Row. He was a brilliant Man who did SO MUCH to help represent those less fortunate on Skid Row, especially in the past 15 years when developers started coming in to gentrify it and in turn leaving the homeless unrepresented and a major target.

I included the date because over the past few days there was confusion over the date of his actual death. People started reporting him dead days ago before he actually died. According to my sources, he suffered a major heart event that resulted in brain death (or at least near brain death). They removed him from life support and he still lingered for a day or so before finally leaving us.

In addition to being a champion activist for the people of Skid Row and for Black Lives Matter, he was also a musician and even was the "Rapping Roach" in the parody of the song "Rumors" which was titled "Roaches".

His death is felt across many communities, but especially the homeless community and those that work within the community. Even Ice Cube tweeted about his passing. He was well loved and well known within many circles and he will be sorely missed.

His Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/GeneralJeffPage

Article about him:

https://usdaynews.com/celebrities/ce...f-death-cause/

Music video where he appeared as the "Rapping Roach"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

An email I recieved from a fellow homeless activist regarding General and what he was currently working on. If you feel compelled, feel free to help with any of this work so that it can continue on.

Dearest Community,

General Jeff has passed on to the other side as of today, only minutes ago. By now, I assume most of you have heard some form of this news. He passed due to complications of Congestive Heart Failure, which he was actively working to correct. I am so very sorry to have to be the bearer of this news and for the pain that you might be feeling reading this. General Jeff was a very close friend of mine and this is hitting me particularly hard ? he was a mentor to me, a teacher, a confidant ? as I know he was to countless others both here in Skid Row and beyond.

General has a niece named Tanesha Johnson, who I have been in communication with. I had met her a few times before and was aware how special she was to him. He was like a second father to her - they were very close. She is so proud of all the work that he has done Downtown. I have been informing her of some of the projects that mattered a lot to General here ? projects that are still not done, and that she might want to keep tabs on and represent on his behalf. If you wish to offer your condolences to her, she can be reached at: *omitted for privacy*

There have already been several things written about General Jeff, so I know this news has reached many, however, in the off chance that it has not reached all that it should, please do share this information the way you think best. General ran in many circles, some that he only alluded to around me - I know you all know these circles. I am also contacting a handful of others from outside our community who we both knew.
    These are a few things I know meant a lot to General that I am continuing and, in some cases, connecting Tanesha to because I think he would have wanted me to.

? Lawsuit against the City re: Skid Row Neighborhood Council election. We are in the Appeal stage (the very end stage, in fact. We spent much of the Pandemic filing paperwork in the case in Pro Per). I know for a fact that he would want me to carry on and so I am! I am a ?Cross-Appellant? in the case because we knew a while back that his health was declining, so I am listed as a back-up. He wanted to go all the way to the Supreme Court if need be. I will plan to update our website and social media. If the community does not want an NC, should we WIN (which I expect we will), that?s fine, we can cross that bridge later ? but what I do know is that we are not served being repped by the DLANC and should be removed from that body (our neighborhood).

? METRO Reginal Connector Public Art project in Little Tokyo depicting Skid Row community. Some of you know about this project ? he worked with the artist METRO hired for several months to create something special. I saw some of the prelim sketches and they are so cool! I know he wanted to be at the grand unveiling of this art project, but the date got pushed back due to COVID. I am working on connecting Tanesha to the artist so that she can be there on his behalf.

? The Skid Row City Mural on 6th and San Julian. Mercy Housing is interested in recreating this iconic mural on their new low-income housing project. I am working on getting a contact to connect Tanesha to ? I know he wanted the mural re-done there and I know the artistswho painted it per his specs.

As you all know, General cared passionately about Skid Row and about the people here being respected as a community. I am so proud of all that he has done to further this ONGOING work. I feel so lucky to have known him ? practically everyone I know Downtown is through him ? including *almost* all of you! There are reasons he wished for me to know you all ? he took great care and a lot of time to explain to me how important each and every one of you are to this community. He told me stories, lol!

I will miss him more that words can express ? I hear his voice in my head reminding me to be always precise with all information I might share and to ?dot my i?s and cross my t?s? ? especially regarding all things Skid Row! General studied Journalism in college ? he was uncompromising regarding the truth and the facts.

General was quite clear that he did not want any fuss over him or anything like that ? BUT, Tanesha simply does not accept that, nor do I. Tanesha wishes for there to be one celebration, where everyone is invited - family, friends, Hip-Hop and Skid Row. She will be working out the details in the coming days and I will keep everyone informed. You are also welcomed to contact her directly. Folks will be asked to bring pictures or memorabilia to help create a book of memories. It will be a celebration!

Tanesha likes the picture of General Jeff that I have attached to this email the best. It came from: General Jeff Fights For Skid Row Citizens (nationswell.com) I know you all probably have many pics of him that you might want to share as well - I look forward to seeing them. The man was not capable of taking a bad picture.

With Love,

Katherine

He sounded like an amazing person. Im sure he will be missed. RIP Jeff

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

RIP General Jeff. We need more good people like this in the world.

I'm not letting this thread die. General was not only a champion for those on Skid Row. He was my friend.

A conference in a lawsuit accusing local government of bungling its homelessness response was winding down with the usual federal courthouse pomp when a booming voice broke in from the back.

?I don?t believe the voices of skid row have been heard,? bellowed General Jeff Page, skid row community leader Pete White recalled Page telling U.S. District Judge David O. Carter. Soon the judge and Page were ?thick as thieves,? White said, traipsing around skid row homeless tents at all hours, in a relationship that by some accounts influenced the judge?s orders.

?After a year, the judge sounded more like General Jeff than General Jeff,? said White, a member of the Los Angeles Community Action Network.

Page, a West Coast hip-hop pioneer who earned the name ?mayor of skid row? while fighting to reclaim skid row from its city designation as a homelessness ?containment zone,? died Oct. 13 at 56 after suffering a stroke and heart problems.

His ?positivity? movement left an indelible mark on the skid row landscape. A mural map of the area?s city limit is marked ?Pop: Too Many.? A world-class basketball court that Page brought Nike in to build for the 3-on-3 basketball league he founded. Christmas lights at Gladys Park and outdoor movies on hot summer nights.

Even as upscale development closed in from all sides, Page helped change the narrative on skid row, which he championed as one of the city?s last majority-Black neighborhoods, made up of renters, recovery workers and homeless people who deserved their own political voice. He was continuing to fight for a separate neighborhood council for the 50-block downtown district when he fell ill.

?We?ve lost a titan in skid row,? said White, ?one of the greatest activists, and one of the community?s loudest megaphones.?

Page was a proud native of South Los Angeles and played basketball at Crenshaw High School, a court leader, which earned him the nickname ?General,? said his niece Tanesha Johnson.

The name stuck as he became an integral member of the emerging West Coast hip-hop scene. While in high school he joined a street crew that posted telephone pole fliers for dances featuring often-overlooked pioneers such as Uncle Jamm?s Army, Johnson said.

His affiliations also included the L.A. Dream Team and the hip-hop group Bobby Jimmy and the Critters, Johnson said. General Jeff, who as a child had roles in a horror film and commercials, wrote lyrics for the group and played a falsetto-rapping insect with bobbing antennae in the Critters? video parody ?Roaches,? a takeoff on the hit song ?Rumors.?

Pastor J?n Marie Cue of skid row?s Church Without Walls first met Page in 1988 in Texas. Page was touring as a hype man for Rodney O and Joe Cooley. Their classic 1987 anthem ?Everlasting Bass? is considered the origin of the Florida hip-hop subgenre Miami Bass, sampled by artists such as Lil Wayne. Cue?s group, the College Boys, opened for the group.

?He was a very charming individual, someone people gravitated toward,? Cue said.

His affiliations also included the L.A. Dream Team and the hip-hop group Bobby Jimmy and the Critters, Johnson said. General Jeff, who as a child had roles in a horror film and commercials, wrote lyrics for the group and played a falsetto-rapping insect with bobbing antennae in the Critters? video parody ?Roaches,? a takeoff on the hit song ?Rumors.?

Pastor J?n Marie Cue of skid row?s Church Without Walls first met Page in 1988 in Texas. Page was touring as a hype man for Rodney O and Joe Cooley. Their classic 1987 anthem ?Everlasting Bass? is considered the origin of the Florida hip-hop subgenre Miami Bass, sampled by artists such as Lil Wayne. Cue?s group, the College Boys, opened for the group.

?He was a very charming individual, someone people gravitated toward,? Cue said.

Page produced and mixed music for other performers and kept his hand in hip-hop as an assistant to MC Eiht and DJ Quik, who worked with the biggest names in L.A. gangsta rap, including Dr. Dre, the late Eazy-E and Ice Cube, Johnson said.

Page was the fun uncle, cracking jokes and playing with the kids, said Johnson, who survives him, along with his sister Jacqueline Anderson, brothers Jerome Anderson, Johnnie C. Page, Johnathan Page and Deacon Ronnie Page, and nephew Terraine Williams.

Page produced and mixed music for other performers and kept his hand in hip-hop as an assistant to MC Eiht and DJ Quik, who worked with the biggest names in L.A. gangsta rap, including Dr. Dre, the late Eazy-E and Ice Cube, Johnson said.
    Page said he arrived on skid row in August 2006 with a store of cash and a drum set determined to bring positivity to a neighborhood mired in misery. He slept in the streets, at a shelter and finally in a single-occupancy room, growing deeply disillusioned with what he saw as the failure of the homeless services groups ? which he called ?poverty pimps? and ?the homeless industrial complex.? His advocacy helped win permission for residents of skid row hotels, an important source of very low-income housing, to have guests in their rooms.

He launched chess and photography clubs and a trash patrol led by residents. He advocated to bring families back to skid row and fought to keep out alcohol-serving outlets to preserve an area that he and other activists described as the largest recovery community in the country.

At first, Page worked within the system, serving several terms as the skid row representative on the Downtown Los Angeles Neighborhood Council, on the city?s park board and on a mental health advisory board. Being outvoted on the downtown board convinced him the area needed its own voice, and he launched an effort to carve a skid row neighborhood council out of two downtown jurisdictions.
    He brought in video testimonials from hip-hop luminaries and sparked a burst of enthusiasm from skid row residents, who lined up to cast ballots. The city, at the eleventh hour, authorized online voting, which favored opponents with internet access and the effort died. An oversight panel upheld Page?s complaints of illegal electioneering, but the city overturned the decision. Page filed a lawsuit that is on appeal, White said.

City Councilman Kevin de Le?n saw Page as ?a gentle giant? but who could turn fierce at any sign of bullying or disrespect to Black people. When one of the City Council?s gadflies showed up at a meeting in a Ku Klux Klan hood and robe, Page ran him off in minutes.

?He was very intense and he didn?t take any mess,? Cue said.

Page was long a thorn in the side of the Los Angeles Police Department, which he felt criminalized homelessness and cycled people in and out of jail and skid row, leaving them in worse shape than before their arrests. In 2014, he was tried in an LAPD sting case that he believed was trumped up because of his activism. He beat the main charge of loitering for drug activities and walked away from a secondary count of resisting arrest with a sentence of 20 days of community service ? working for his own skid row grass-roots community group, Issues and Solutions.

The following year, he took a leadership role in protests after the fatal LAPD shooting of Charly ?Africa? Keunang, an unarmed mentally ill homeless man. A bystander?s video of Keunang?s shooting in broad daylight outside his skid row tent was viewed millions of times on Facebook.

Page broke with some of his usual allies in opposing Proposition HHH, the $1.2-billion L.A. city housing bond initiative passed in 2016, which he felt had been overbilled as a solution to homelessness. As homelessness exploded, Page spoke to students at USC, urban theorists in Berlin and podcasters. When asked for a single strategy to fix homelessness, he turned the question back on itself.

?There is a whole alphabet of issues, pick one.... The military has billions, what about your guys? Women?s rights organizations, come help your ladies,? Page said. ?We are building our own community.?
    https://www.latimes.com/california/s...dies?_amp=true

To the left with the earbuds is "Lyrical Storm" who is also a friend and an amazing guy all around.

Jeff just being "Jeff"

I'm sorry if I don't have a lot of first hand pictures. Rarely do people on Skid Row want them taken and I'm one of those that does without having to post proof of what I've done. Too many do down there for a day as kind of a "field trip" for their Intsa to post about how "good" they are without asking permission of the homeless and without understanding that they aren't a FUCKING PROP FOR YOUR CLOUT.

I'm so sorry BB73. The world is poorer for having lost this wonderful man. It sounds like he really had a way of connecting with people and bringing them together for the greater good. What a rare and admirable trait. Those whose lives he touched are fortunate to have known him. Rest in peace, General...
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    I'm so sorry BB73. The world is poorer for having lost this wonderful man. It sounds like he really had a way of connecting with people and bringing them together for the greater good. What a rare and admirable trait. Those whose lives he touched are fortunate to have known him. Rest in peace, General...
    Thank you for taking the time to recognize him. Knowing him was nothing I could ever explain. Losing him..

It's nothing I could explain.

Those folks are now a sitting duck for the developers. He was the only thing standing in the way. And there's only so much that middle aged white women can do since we don't represent the demographic. HE was their voice. It's truly devastating.

Double:

But I'll take this opportunity to hope that someone steps up to take the reigns.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Boston. The world needs more people like him.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

It's a sad thing. So few people step up to try to make things better.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Thread Information