Thread: Barry Harris (46) Died Of Sepsis After Being Nipped By His Dog "Ted" & His BIL, Mark Day (61) Required Amputations After He Was Nipped By Ted On The Day Of Mark's Funeral

Barry Harris (46) Died Of Sepsis After Being Nipped By His Dog "Ted" & His BIL, Mark Day (61) Required Amputations After He Was Nipped By Ted On The Day Of Mark's Funeral

Why do British death articles always sound like a Viz comic?

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/...s-legs-6085736

Man dies, second loses legs, after being nipped by dog with dirty mouth

Mark has also had to have the fingers on one hand removed

ByNeil ShawNetwork Content Editor
    07:23, 20 OCT 2021

A man has died and his brother-in-law has had to have his legs amputated after they were nipped by a dog which had a mouth full of bacteria.

A grieving woman has told how a "big softie" dog killed her brother and left her husband needing his legs amputated by just 'nipping them' with his bacteria-infested teeth.

Pauline Day, 62, revealed how the Japanese Akita called Ted tore her family's life apart after her brother bought him as a pet for ?1,500.

The family had no idea that Ted - who resembled a "giant teddy bear" - was a silent killer with deadly bacteria crawling inside his mouth.

But in July, Pauline's brother Barry Harris, 46, died at his home three days after Ted snapped at his arm, causing an infection and sending him into cardiac arrest.

Pauline Day in hospital with her husband Mark

And just a month later Ted bit Pauline's husband Mark, 61, as he walked the dog on the day of Barry's funeral.

Mark, who's been hospitalised since late August, has had all his left-hand fingers amputated and will lose both legs by next week due to sepsis caused by Ted's toxic mouth.

Pauline, from Colchester, Essex, said: "They weren't even attacked. Ted literally just broke the skin on my husband and my brother.

"It was the softest dog but it had food issues. Whenever it was near food it was so aggressive.

"We think it was mistreated as a puppy."

Pauline Day and husband Mark

Barry, a groundworker, bought Ted from a private Facebook seller in a London flat in May this year for some "good company" after going through a break-up.

The seller told Barry that Ted, who was 15-months-old, was well trained but when he got home he found that the pooch didn't even respond to his name.

On July 7 - after less than six weeks together - Ted bit Barry as he was trying to remove an animal bone from his mouth while out on a walk and his arm soon swelled up and he fell ill with cold sweats and headaches.

Three days later, Barry tragically died at his home after his heart stopped.

Tragedy struck again on Barry's funeral on August 19 when Mark took Ted for a morning walk and was nipped by the dog on his hand.

He had "legs like blocks of ice" the next day but put it down to a hangover until - three days later - he was rushed to hospital with a 39C temperature, before he went into cardiac arrest and suffered multiple organ failures.

Barry Harris

Doctors told Pauline that Mark's condition was "100 per cent" due to a bacterial infection from a dog.

Mark, a builder, has been in hospital ever since and now faces having both legs amputated next week due to sepsis. He's already had seven fingers removed.

Pauline said: "It's like something out of a nightmare. You just don't believe this has happened.

"The shock of my brother was one thing and then my husband. It's just surreal."

Pauline had Ted put down on the same day that doctors said that Mark's condition was due to bacteria from a dog.

Ted the Akita

She also checked the paperwork that Ted's owner gave to Barry when he bought the dog earlier this year and found that he had no vaccination history.

"In the booklet, there was nothing with vaccinations.

"They gave him a false history."
    Pretty sure vaccinations wouldn't have made any diff

There was another death thread ages ago involving dog mouth bacteria but I can't find it - the previous one might've only been a dog lick though, not a bite.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Why do British death articles always sound like a Viz comic?

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/...s-legs-6085736

Pretty sure vaccinations wouldn't have made any diff

There was another death thread ages ago involving dog mouth bacteria but I can't find it - the previous one might've only been a dog lick though, not a bite.
    Yeah, I don't think vaccinations had anything to do with it. Some dogs just have this bacteria in their mouth and usually when this happens it's either a nip, like in the story, or the person has an open wound that gets licked. This is probably going to be how I go, lol.

I would love to know what type of bacteria it was. As a tech, if you get bit and it breaks the skin, you get antibiotics (or you should) Ive seen a persons hand swell up after being bit, and its because he had broken bones. He went straight to the ER. Ive been bitten by a cat badly twice and both times there was swelling, one time there were signs of cellulitis. I had my ass at Urgent Care right away. Dog/cat bites can get nasty, quickly. Its a myth that dog's mouth's are cleaner than humans mouths.

I dont think these were nips, I think they were bites. As an aside, Ive never met a friendly Akita.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

He was a cute dog. Did they put him down because he bit 2 different people, or because of the bacteria? I would think that could've been treatable so it must've been because he had a habit of biting people...

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    He was a cute dog. Did they put him down because he bit 2 different people, or because of the bacteria? I would think that could've been treatable so it must've been because he had a habit of biting people...
    I was thinking because the bacteria. Like I said earlier, I would love to know what type of bacteria it was. It may not have been treatable. If the dog has a history biting people, more people would be at risk.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I would love to know what type of bacteria it was. As a tech, if you get bit and it breaks the skin, you get antibiotics (or you should) Ive seen a persons hand swell up after being bit, and its because he had broken bones. He went straight to the ER. Ive been bitten by a cat badly twice and both times there was swelling, one time there were signs of cellulitis. I had my ass at Urgent Care right away. Dog/cat bites can get nasty, quickly. Its a myth that dog's mouth's are cleaner than humans mouths.

I dont think these were nips, I think they were bites. As an aside, Ive never met a friendly Akita.

I agree with you Ang about the Akita part. They are beautiful but I have always heard they like to bite.

I wonder if you are correct and the Akita had a habit of biting and they were trying to hide the bites because they thought he might get taken away from them if they went to the ER for bite treatment.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I've met friendly Akitas many times, but that's probably because of the business I'm in. Generally they're not known for being cuddly and sweet though.

Dog and cat bites are no joke. I was mauled by a cat at one point and almost had to be admitted to the hospital to be put on IV Antibiotics. The most painful thing I've ever been through in my life. Both hands were swollen like balloons for days.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

This must be the earlier one I was thinking of - I still can't find the thread.

The bacteria in this case was Capnocytophaga canimorsus

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/pets/...icked-c-573262

Thread Information