Thread: Several Dead In Kongsberg, Norway After A Man Went On A Killing Spree With A Bow & Arrow

Several Dead In Kongsberg, Norway After A Man Went On A Killing Spree With A Bow & Arrow

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-...rrow/100537722

Several people have been killed and others were injured by a man using a bow and arrows to carry out attacks in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg, local police say.

Key points:
    Police did not confirm how many people had been killed, but public broadcaster NRK cited sources saying four people died
    The suspect has been arrested
    Kongsberg is about 80 kilometres south-west of the capital Oslo
    "The man has been apprehended ? from the information we now have, this person carried out these actions alone," police chief Oeyvind Aas told reporters.

"Several people have been injured and several are dead."

He declined to comment on the number of casualties, although public broadcaster NRK later cited sources saying four people had been killed.

"It's natural to consider whether this was an act of terror," Mr Aas told reporters.

Police said the attacks took place over "a large area" of Kongsberg, a municipality of around 28,000 people in southern Norway, about 80 kilometres south-west of the capital Oslo.

Residents were ordered to stay indoors as the attack occurred in the early hours of the morning.

Local media reports said the attacker opened fire at a supermarket and several victims have been taken to hospital.

Norway's Minister of Justice and Public Security, Monica Maeland, has received updates on the attacks and was closely monitoring the situation, the ministry said.

After the attacks, the police directorate said it had ordered officers, who are normally unarmed but have access to guns and rifles when needed, to carry firearms nationwide.

"This is an extra precaution. The police have no indication so far that there is a change in the national threat level," the directorate said in a statement.

Edit.

Nvm not the guy. It's the Norwegian version of the Sam Hyde mass shooter troll & I'm glad I figured it out before most English speaking media because now I can watch on in amusement
    Last edited by blighted star; 10-13-2021 at 01:11 PM.

Had to use google translate so the wording's a bit sketchy in parts

https://www.nrk.no/norge/utelukker-i...rep-1.15689121

Does not rule out terror - five killed after man went on the attack

Five people have been killed and two injured after a man among them attacked with a weapon in Kongsberg on Wednesday night.

A civilian policeman is among the injured. The police do not rule out that there may be an act of terrorism.

We report from Kongsberg

Published today at 03:47 Updated a few seconds ago
    share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email
    The case is being updated.

News tips 03030
    Do you have photos, video or are on site?

Tip us!
    Last:

Police now confirm that there are five killed. There are also two injured, including a police officer in civilian clothes.

The police do not rule out that it is an act of terrorism, but will not conclude yet.

The man used a bow and arrow in the attacks. It took half an hour from the police arriving at the scene until the man was arrested.

- Five people were killed and two people were injured. One of them is a policeman who was in civilian clothes. Both the injured are in hospital, says police inspector ?yvind Aas.

- I can not go into the age and gender of those who have been killed. We have to get back to that. As far as I know, we have notified relatives, says Aas.

At 18.13 , the police received several messages from people in Kongsberg center that a man was moving around in a larger area with a weapon that is said to have been a bow and arrow.

- Based on the information we have now, this is a person who has performed these actions alone. Considering the course of events, it is natural to assess whether this is a terrorist incident. The apprehended person has not been questioned, and it is therefore too early to say anything about this related to motivation, says Aas.

He confirms that the perpetrator has moved over a large area in Kongsberg center.

Police car outside Coop store on Kongsberg.
    CLOSED: Coop Extra at Kongsberg on Wednesday night.

PHOTO: INGVILD EDVARDSEN / NRK
    Attack in Coop store

The incidents are related to a Coop Extra store in Kongsberg center.

- We can confirm that there has been a serious incident in our store, and that none of our employees are physically injured. We are now concerned with following up our employees, and beyond that we refer to the police investigation, says communications manager at Coop, Harald Kristiansen.

Lea Madeleine was near the center when the police rushed to the archer.

Sorry, I am on my tablet so can't post the article.

https://abcnews.go.com/International...orway-80574305

Norway officials: Bow and arrow attack appears to be terror attack; Suspect was a known radical

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Sorry, I am on my tablet so can't post the article.

https://abcnews.go.com/International...orway-80574305

Norway officials: Bow and arrow attack appears to be terror attack; Suspect was a known radical
    KONGSBERG, Norway -- A Danish man suspected of killing five people with a bow and arrow and possibly other weapons while randomly shooting at strangers in a small Norwegian town appears to have committed an act of terrorism, authorities in Norway said Thursday.

The Wednesday night attack at a supermarket and other locations in downtown Kongsberg, a town of about 26,000 residents not far from Norway's capital, left the country stunned as police released some details, including that officers made contact with the 37-year-old suspect but he initially escaped.

“From what we know now, it is reasonably clear that some, probably everyone, was killed after the police were in contact with the perpetrator,” regional police chief Ole B. Saeverud said Thursday. The victims were four women and one man between the ages of 50 and 70. Three other people were injured, police said.

Mass killings are rare in low-crime Norway, and the attack immediately drew comparisons with the country's worst peacetime slaughter a decade ago, when a right-wing domestic extremist killed 77 people with a bomb, a rifle and a pistol.

People have “experienced that their safe local environment suddenly became a dangerous place,” Norwegian King Harald V said Thursday. “It shakes us all when horrible things happen near us, when you least expect it, in the middle of everyday life on the open street.”

According to police, the suspect in Wednesday's attack walked around downtown Kongsberg shooting arrows. Police were alerted to the attack around 6:15 p.m. and arrested the suspect about 30 minutes later. Regional prosecutor Ann Iren Svane Mathiassen, told The Associated Press that after the man's arrest, he “clearly described what he had done. He admitted killing the five people.”

Norway’s domestic security agency, known by its acronym PST, cited various aspects of the attack to explain its belief that the suspect’s actions “currently appear to be an act of terrorism.”

“Attacks on random people in public places are a recurring modus operandi among extremist Islamists carrying out terror in the West,” the agency said. It said “the most probable scenario” for such an attack in Norway “is an attack carried out by one or a few perpetrators with simple weapon types, against targets with few or no security measures.”

“The investigation will clarify in more detail what the incidents were motivated by,” PST said in a statement.

The man arrested Wednesday had been on the security agency’s radar, but the agency did not say why. Police described him as a Muslim convert who was previously flagged as having been radicalized.

“There earlier had been worries of the man having been radicalized,” Saeverud, the police chief, said during a news conference. He didn’t elaborate on what he meant by calling the suspect radicalized and did not provide more information about why the suspect was previously flagged and what authorities did in response.

Svane Mathiassen, the prosecutor, said the bow and arrows were just part of the killer’s arsenal. Police have not said what other weapons were used in the attack. Weapons experts and other technical officers were being drafted in to help with the investigation.

Dozens of witnesses in Kongsberg saw the gruesome events. Erik Benum, who lives on the same road as the supermarket that was one of the crime scenes, told the AP that he saw the escaped shop workers sheltering in doorways.

“I saw them hiding in the corner. Then I went to see what was happening, and I saw the police moving in with a shield and rifles. It was a very strange sight,” Benum said.

The following morning, the whole town was eerily quiet, he said. “People are sad and shocked.”

Both the hospitalized victims are in intensive care. They include an off-duty police officer who was inside the store. Their conditions were not immediately known.

The suspect is being held on preliminary charges, which is a step short of formal charges. He will formally face a custody hearing Friday. Police believe he acted alone.

Norwegian media reported that the suspect previously had been convicted of burglary and possession of drugs, and last year a local court granted a restraining order ordering him to stay away from his parents for a six-month period after he threatened to kill one of them.

Svane Mathiassen, who is leading the investigation, told Norwegian broadcaster NRK that the suspect will be assessed by forensic psychiatric experts Thursday.

“This is not unusual in such serious cases,” she was quoted as saying.

PST said Thursday that the terror threat level for Norway remains unchanged and was considered “moderate.” The main church in Kongsberg was open to anyone in need of support.

“I don’t think anyone expects to have these kinds of experiences. But nobody could imagine this could happen here in our little town,” parish priest Reidar Aasboe told the AP.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thread Information