Thread: Miya Marcano (19) found dead a week after going missing; the only person of interest, Armando Manuel Caballero (27), committed suicide

Miya Marcano (19) found dead a week after going missing; the only person of interest, Armando Manuel Caballero (27), committed suicide

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/fl...ear-old-woman/

Authorities are searching for a woman they said was last seen Friday evening.

Orange County Sheriff?s deputies are searching for Miya Marcano, 19.

Marcano was last seen around 5 p.m., on Sept. 24 at the Arden Villas apartments at 3303 Arden Villas Boulevard.

Marcano is 5 feet, 130 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes.

Investigators ask that anyone with information to contact to OCSO non-emergency number at 407-836-4357 and if anyone sees Marcano, they should call 911.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/oran...FSBJI6CKW2NFY/

Investigators say Marcano lives on the complex, and the apartment’s social media shows she also works at the leasing office.

Family and friends held a vigil for Marcano on Sunday night.

“All we ask is to help us bring Miya home. Bring her home safe,” a woman said.

Deputies said they can’t release any details at this time, but they’re working diligently to find her.
    I saw on one of her friend's twitter accounts that her bedroom looked like there had been a struggle.
    https://twitter.com/secretwinterj/st...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

https://www.wesh.com/article/miya-ma...test/37755658#

Sheriff to hold news conference on missing 19-year-old Miya Marcano

Sheriff's Department was set going to hold a news conference Monday on a 19-year-old woman that has been missing since Friday.

The event was slated for 1 p.m. but has been postponed. WESH 2 is awaiting a new time from the sheriff's office.

Family members tell WESH 2 Bob Hazen that they hope more info will be released soon. They said they are frustrated it has been three days and investigators have not released an much detail as they would like.

https://twitter.com/HazenWESH/status...553904640?s=19

Crews spent the weekend looking for Miya Marcano, who was last seen Friday, Sept. 24, around 5 p.m., at the Arden Villas Apartments off University Boulevard.

On Sunday, Orange County deputies searched inside, outside and around the apartment complex where she lives.

Marcano's father told WESH 2 News she worked for the apartment complex in the leasing office, which is where she was last seen.

He said he spoke to his daughter Friday afternoon, but didn't hear from her when she got off work.

He says Marcano was scheduled to catch a flight to her family's home later that night, but she never boarded the plane.

Marcano's family has traveled from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando to speak with detectives.

Marcano is 19 years old and her family says she is 5 feet tall.

"All we ask you is help us bring Miya home," Marcano's grandmother, Joysue Thompson, said. "Bring her home safe, just drop her off and let us know where she is and we'll pick her up ? just bring her home."

Neighbors said law enforcement has continued to be present around the apartment complex.

"Bunch of sheriffs and everything was in this parking lot and they all come marching across," Matthew Knapp, who lives near Arden Villas Apartments, said.

Knapp said detectives were searching in the back area of the apartments through trees and near a retention pond.

"It sent chills down my spine to be honest, because I didn't know what they were looking for and yesterday the chopper that's above us now was searching five or six times doing circles around," said Juan Castillo who lives near the apartments.

Orange County deputies said they don't want to release additional information Sunday since Marcano's disappearance is an ongoing investigation. A spokesperson said, "Anyone with even the smallest shred of information is urged to call us."

Anyone who knows anything about her disappearance is encouraged to call the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Anyone with information on Marcano's whereabouts should contact OCSO non-emergency number at 407-836-4357. If anyone sees Marcano they are urged to call 911.

I don't think this is going to end well.

https://www.wesh.com/article/miya-ma...test/37755658#

Sheriff: Search for missing 19-year-old continues as person of interest found dead from suicide

Armando Manuel Caballero, 27, was determined to be a person of interest after Marcano was declared missing. His vehicle was found near the scene of his death and has been taken in for evidence.
    Authorities said Caballero had been a maintenance man at the complex since June. Orange County Sheriff John Mina said Caballero expressed a romantic interest in Marcano which was repeatedly denied by the teenager.

Marcano's father said he spoke to his daughter Friday afternoon, but didn't hear from her when she got off work.

Mina says a maintenance-issued master key fob, which Caballero was known to have, was used to enter Marcano's apartment about 30 minutes before she was set to finish her shift at 4:30 p.m.

Oh no.

Fucking men, poor girl

That's scary that a man can access your apartment at any time. I guess it may be sexist but I feel like a woman should have the key, and if the maintenance man needs to get in, she should accompany him.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/30/us/fl...fbi/index.html

FBI joins search for Miya Marcano, who has been missing in Florida for nearly a week

Sheriff John Mina said the bureau is lending technology to the search for Miya Marcano, who was last seen at about 5 p.m. on Friday at the Arden Villas Luxury Apartments in Orlando, where she lived and worked.

The sheriff's office's emergency response team and other agencies have conducted nearly 30 searches in Orange, Seminole and Volusia counties since Marcano went missing, Mina said.

According to the sheriff, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement has assisted with specially trained canines that can locate electronics, specifically cell phones.

Other local agencies have provided dogs and dive teams to search bodies in the water, and helicopters and other aviation assets have been used as well.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/02/us/mi...red/index.html

A body believed to be Miya Marcano has been found, Florida sheriff says

Detectives have notified Marcano's family, Mina said, but authorities are still waiting for an official identification to be made by the medical examiner and the cause of death has yet to be determined. A purse with Marcano's identification was located near the body, he said.
    "Everyone wanted this outcome to be different," Mina said.

Marcano had been missing since September 24, when she was last seen at the Arden Villas Luxury Apartments in Orlando where she lived and worked, according to the sheriff's office.

Members of the Orange County Sheriff's emergency response team found the body around 10:45 a.m. Saturday while searching a wooded area near the Tymber Skan on the Lake apartments in Orange County, Mina said.

According to the sheriff, cell phone records indicated Armando Manuel Caballero, a person of interest in the case who was found dead of an apparent suicide September 27, was "in or near" the apartments for about 20 minutes the evening Marcano was reported missing.
    Caballero used to live at the Tymber Skan apartments, Mina said Saturday. He told reporters that investigators are not looking for any other people in connection to the case.
    Next steps in the case "will focus a lot on the autopsy" and completing the timeline of events in the case, Mina told reporters.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/02/10427...ollege-student

The body of missing Florida college student Miya Marcano has been found

Authorities say they have found the body of a missing Florida college student who disappeared a week ago.
    "At this time, we cannot identify a cause of death, so I don't' want to speculate on that," Mina said of Marcano's death during a news conference Saturday.

The FBI and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement were among the hundreds of authorities searching for Marcano. Meanwhile, friends and family held a prayer vigil and passed out flyers desperate to find the missing teen.

The sheriff says cellphone records from Caballero led them to the area, showing he was at the apartment for about 20 minutes the night she was reported missing.

Mina says they notified her parents just hours ago, adding "our hearts are broken."
    This is the 2nd case in the Orlando area where an apartment complex employee has killed a woman living in the apartment complex.

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...hlight=duxbury

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Unfortunately this is what I expected after knowing that he committed suicide. That poor girl
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

https://www.wesh.com/article/family-...found/37883538

Attorney: Miya Marcano had tape around her wrists, mouth when her body was found

On Wednesday, family members of Miya Marcano, who was found dead in a wooded area over the weekend, revealed more about the state her home was initially found in and how she appeared when her body was discovered.

Family attorney Daryl Washington confirmed to WESH 2 that Marcano had tape around her wrists and feet, as well as tape on her mouth, when her body was discovered.

According to a news release from the law firm representing the family, family members knew "something was wrong" as soon as the 19-year-old did not get on the flight she was supposed to be on Sept. 24. They requested a welfare check and a deputy went out to the Arden Villas apartment complex.

The following was discovered while searching Miya’s apartment:

• Miya’s door had a mini dresser that prevented access from the front of her bedroom door;

• Entry into Miya’s room had to be done via her back window; and

• The deputy noticed the window had been tampered with

According to the law firm, the deputy then left and "the family didn’t hear back with any information about what the deputy intended to do."

The next day, family members said they found a box cutter in the apartment that did not belong to Marcano.

A short time later, family members confirm they ran into Armando Caballero, a maintenance man at the Arden Villas who would eventually become a suspect in Marcano's case.

Caballero reportedly asked Miya’s aunt “are you looking for Miya?” Video given to WESH 2 apparently shows part of this encounter.

"The family questioned Caballero and immediately knew he had something to do with their daughter’s disappearance," the release stated. "They reported to the deputy who was now on scene that a key fob dropped out of Caballero’s lap as he got out of the car, he had Miya’s blanket and a black backpack in his car and the family caught him in several lies regarding his encounters with Miya. The recently released video shows the deputy politely allowing Caballero to get in his car and leave."

According to the law firm, a security guard attempted to give deputies fingerprints he lifted from Marcano's window but deputies laughed, refused, and said, "this isn't a high-priority case."

According to the release from the law firm, family members pleaded with the apartment office manager to show them camera footage and investigate key fob information, but the manager refused.

"The family indicated that the way they were treated by the office manager was disheartening, and they felt like she was irritated with their request for help. What’s more disappointing is that the deputy told the family that if they had not heard from their daughter by Tuesday, they would come out and view the cameras and read the key fob," the release stated.

Caballero was found dead two days later.

He had a universal key that could let him in any unit. The maintenance master key fob that Caballero used was swiped to enter Miya’s apartment 30 minutes before she was set to get off of work.

Washington said apartment management had an ability to electronically track the universal key fob Caballero used to enter Marcano's unit, but the manager didn't know he was there, not understanding how the equipment worked.
    https://www.wesh.com/article/sheriff...ails/37887436#

Sheriff responds to family's criticism

"I understand this family has been through unimaginable pain and loss," Mina said.

Responding to a video released by the family, that shows family members questioning Caballero the early morning after Marcano was reported missing.

TIMELINE: This is what detectives believe happened to Miya Marcano

Mina states "there was no basis for our deputies to detain Caballero."

"Our deputies are not permitted to detain someone based on a hunch or based on what someone else is saying," he said. "Sadly, detaining Caballero would not have changed the fact that he left her body at the Tymber Skan apartments the night before."

Mina stated that Caballero left Marcano's body before her family even called for a welfare check.

"Unfortunately, all these things we're talking about, wouldn't have prevented anything," he said. "The person responsible for her death is Armando Caballero."

The sheriff confirmed Marcano's body was found with tape on her mouth and wrists. He said the teen was found with her shirt off, with jeans, a bra and robe on.

However, Mina said there is no evidence that Marcano was sexually assaulted.

Mina said he is a parent himself and he understands the desire to "place blame," but feels that deputies acted appropriately.

The window was tampered with...but he had a key that he used to enter her front door? That's odd.

Not saying he didn't do it, just strange to me.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    The window was tampered with...but he had a key that he used to enter her front door? That's odd.

Not saying he didn't do it, just strange to me.
    Trying to cover his tracks?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I was watching the new CSI last night and just left the TV on after it finished and went to the local news. The final is losing their shit on the Sheriff's Dept and they Sheriff's Dept is making every excuse in the book. They kept saying stuff like 'we can't just arrest or detain people because we think they committed a crime' and I was thinking, "but you can shoot and kill them with less, huh?". Also, the Sheriff kept reiterating that Miya was already dead by the time they were talking to Caballero, and he kept saying 'so it didn't matter anyway' very flippantly. That would have pissed me off further if it were my loved one.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...out&li=BBnbfcL

Family of Miya Marcano files wrongful death lawsuit against Arden Villas, where she lived and worked

A summons was filed in Orange County courts Monday night and lists the apartment complex, its parent company, and the estate of deceased maintenance worker and suspect in Marcano's killing, Armando Caballero.
    The family says Arden Villas did not do enough to protect Miya, and they are now suing for negligence.

"The only way that Armando was able to get in to Miya’s apartment was through the unfettered access that he had that was given to him by the Arden Villas," family attorney Daryl K. Washington said.

The lawsuit says the Arden Villas did not take Marcano's fears seriously and did not do a deep enough background check on Caballero.

The lawsuit claims a more thorough background check would have uncovered an arrest from years before. Plus, the lawsuit states, had the Arden Villas talked with previous employers, they would have found out about the Seminole County complex where a female resident also raised concerns about him.

As for the universal key fobs-- the family attorney says apartments need to have much tighter control over those keys.

Thread Information