Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: StarTelegram - Site focuses on Myspace users deaths - 7/3/06

StarTelegram - Site focuses on Myspace users deaths - 7/3/06

[size=18px]Internet site focuses on Myspace users' deaths[/size]
    By MELISSA SÁNCHEZ, Star-Telegram (Texas)

A new twist on the popular Web site Myspace.com is a virtual cemetery that chronicles everything from murders and suicides to "car-surfing" accidents.

In the six months since it was created, Mydeathspace .com has detailed the deaths of Myspace members, from regular teens to beauty queens, by posting news reports and family e-mails. It also gives a link to the members' Myspace.com page.

Though some visitors to Mydeathspace have called it morbid and sick, others visit it regularly.

The site "is more eye-opening than it is therapeutic," said Michael Patterson, the 24-year-old paralegal who created it.

"I'm hoping that teens will think about something they've seen on the Web site next time they're put in a situation where there's a chance they could hurt themselves," he said.

He created the site after reading a news report last year about a father who killed his family and himself because of mounting debt. Patterson typed the two daughters' names into Myspace and found their profiles. He figured others would be curious, too.

Since December, Mydeathspace, which is not affiliated with Myspace, has posted details about 331 deaths, including 50 suicides, Patterson said. Links to the profiles of 15 suspected killers appear next to links to the profiles of the victims.

On its biggest day so far, the site recorded 250,000 hits. More than 250 people have registered their e-mail addresses on the site and use the discussion boards to talk about death.

Todd McGee, head of the Dallas site GroupieTunes .com, says Mydeathspace is an attempt to capitalize on the Myspace phenomenon.

"I think Myspace has a limited value and gotten too big and less focused," he said. "It will probably be segmented off into niche markets. I think it [Mydeathspace] is the beginning of that new way of thinking."

Almost every death is submitted to Patterson by the deceased's family or friends. He said that he will remove a name at a relative's request and that he tries to confirm the deaths through news reports and obituaries because he has received "a ton" of fakes.

Many of the people profiled are suicides, accident victims and U.S. soldiers in Iraq. But there are also unusual deaths:

Two Florida college students died after climbing into an 8-foot helium-filled balloon and accidentally suffocating.

A New Jersey girl, drinking alcohol on a cliff's edge, fell off as she reached for a cellphone she had dropped.

And an Illinois teen died after playing the "choking game" -- he accidentally hanged himself from a support beam in his basement while trying to temporarily cut off the oxygen supply to his brain to achieve a high.

Links to information about the deceased are labeled by name, and cause and date of death, such as: Tara Rose McAvoy 'Miss Deaf Texas', 18 - Train - RIP Mar 13, 2006.

A mouse click away is a page with McAvoy's picture and a news report of how she was hit by a train while walking along the railroad tracks in Austin as she text-messaged her parents on her cellphone. About 50 comments, ranging from crass to sympathetic, fill a long-scrolling space below.

A click on McAvoy's picture sends visitors to her Myspace page. In the background is a silver silhouette of a woman's face. Her profile reveals a family-loving Texas girl. The last time she logged in was the day before she died.

Within about three hours of her death, the first message in remembrance had been posted on her Myspace page. Dozens of people have left messages in the three months since.

"We love you," the first message says. "You will never be forgotten."

Allowing users to post messages celebrating the deceased's life provides an outlet for them to connect and comfort one another during the grieving process, Myspace.com President Tom Anderson said in a statement.

Susan Weeks, a nursing professor at Texas Christian University who specializes in mental health and disaster work, said Mydeathspace could help mourners overcome grief and give them a sense that they are not alone.

But the site could upset relatives and friends of the deceased, because some of the messages posted are flippant or sarcastic.

Patterson said he tries to discourage that by publishing the e-mail addresses of those who write such messages, though people do it anyway.

Weeks also is concerned that some mourners seclude themselves with a computer rather than seek counseling. She suggested that Mydeathspace have links to crisis intervention, suicide prevention and counseling information.

Patterson didn't rule out the possibility of adding the links and said he and his staff are working on some "exciting new features."

He also said the site was able to help a Florida teen who was threatening suicide in April. She e-mailed Patterson to reserve a spot on the site, and he called police, who intervened.

Barbara Williams, 19, of Los Angeles, is a registered user and frequents the site throughout her workday, she said in an e-mail.

It taught her "how easy and possible it is to die, as stupid as it sounds," she said. "Maybe in my arrogance of being a teenager, it wasn't so real to me that it could happen any time soon."

Ya know, I was INTERVIEWED for this damn piece, and she didn't even quote me. Stupid, time wasting bitch.

OK, not bitter.

I promise.

BMW

thats cool, MDS is gettin mad press =P very interesting.

I got interviewed for nothing I am pissed...what about the freaking Kittie? Lol I love you BMW
    <br />The Angel within

I was interviewed when I was at the zoo one time!

Quote Originally Posted by [Pandora]
    I was interviewed when I was at the zoo one time!
    you escape?

haha great!
    <br />The Angel within

yes.

and i volunteer there so they interviewed me about my job.

yay!

yes.

yay!
    You are sooo pretty!!

no one ever says I am pretty..well...fuck you all *slit wrists* I can't take this world anymore I am so emo right now...
    <br />The Angel within

AW! I'm SORRY!! No one has said I'm pretty either.. haha..

I haven't seen a picture of you?? I've visited your profile, but I haven't really paid attention to the pics yet.. I'm sorry, I've been busy. :( I still wuv you, my kittieface. &lt;3

Aww ty beautiful...I am just being Emo...haha...I am being silly...thats ok though...Jenni and BMW get all the attention...*sniff sniff* I see how it is...
    <br />The Angel within

Yea I know. They are the pretty skinny people. We need to have a pretty chubby people category. hhahaha. Me and you'd win. :)

Oh yea hot chubby bitches whoo hoo! Hey it doesn't really matter if you are fat or skinny...if you are true to yourself...even the most beautiful woman can not be true...remeber that...
    <br />The Angel within

I was interviewed on camera one time and I used to interview someone every day because I was a reporter. That doesn't beat playing with zoo animals, though

Quote Originally Posted by jesssssiiiicccaa
    yes.

yay!
    You are sooo pretty!!
    :oops: thanksss.

I wanna eat your face Pandora!
    <br />The Angel within

I would be honored.

meow! Lesbo action...Hot!
    <br />The Angel within

Please post pics ktnxbye
    I Once Tasted My Own Cum
    <br />

OMG....I'M THE WORLD'S BIGGEST DOUCHE!!! I Called the writer of this thread's topic article a time wasting bitch because she didn't include a quote from my interview. She emailed me, saying the version MDS admin posted was cut off and I was, in fact, quoted. I just want everyone to know she is a wonderful, sweet person and wrote a very nice, honest article and omg I have to really rub it in because I was SUCH a fucking stupid bitch for being mad about something so silly. Anyways, here's the article, with my quote at the bottom. Woot woot.

Internet site focuses on Myspace users' deaths

By MELISSA SÁNCHEZ

STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

A new twist on the popular Web site Myspace.com is a virtual cemetery that chronicles everything from murders and suicides to "car-surfing" accidents.

In the six months since it was created, Mydeathspace .com has detailed the deaths of Myspace members, from regular teens to beauty queens, by posting news reports and family e-mails. It also gives a link to the members' Myspace.com page.

Though some visitors to Mydeathspace have called it morbid and sick, others visit it regularly.

The site "is more eye-opening than it is therapeutic," said Michael Patterson, the 24-year-old paralegal who created it.

"I'm hoping that teens will think about something they've seen on the Web site next time they're put in a situation where there's a chance they could hurt themselves," he said.

He created the site after reading a news report last year about a father who killed his family and himself because of mounting debt. Patterson typed the two daughters' names into Myspace and found their profiles. He figured others would be curious, too.

Since December, Mydeathspace, which is not affiliated with Myspace, has posted details about 331 deaths, including 50 suicides, Patterson said. Links to the profiles of 15 suspected killers appear next to links to the profiles of the victims.

On its biggest day so far, the site recorded 250,000 hits. More than 250 people have registered their e-mail addresses on the site and use the discussion boards to talk about death.

Todd McGee, head of the Dallas site GroupieTunes .com, says Mydeathspace is an attempt to capitalize on the Myspace phenomenon.

"I think Myspace has a limited value and gotten too big and less focused," he said. "It will probably be segmented off into niche markets. I think it [Mydeathspace] is the beginning of that new way of thinking."

Almost every death is submitted to Patterson by the deceased's family or friends. He said that he will remove a name at a relative's request and that he tries to confirm the deaths through news reports and obituaries because he has received "a ton" of fakes.

Many of the people profiled are suicides, accident victims and U.S. soldiers in Iraq. But there are also unusual deaths:

Two Florida college students died after climbing into an 8-foot helium-filled balloon and accidentally suffocating.

A New Jersey girl, drinking alcohol on a cliff's edge, fell off as she reached for a cellphone she had dropped.

And an Illinois teen died after playing the "choking game" -- he accidentally hanged himself from a support beam in his basement while trying to temporarily cut off the oxygen supply to his brain to achieve a high.

Links to information about the deceased are labeled by name, and cause and date of death, such as: Tara Rose McAvoy 'Miss Deaf Texas', 18 - Train - RIP Mar 13, 2006.

A mouse click away is a page with McAvoy's picture and a news report of how she was hit by a train while walking along the railroad tracks in Austin as she text-messaged her parents on her cellphone. About 50 comments, ranging from crass to sympathetic, fill a long-scrolling space below.

A click on McAvoy's picture sends visitors to her Myspace page. In the background is a silver silhouette of a woman's face. Her profile reveals a family-loving Texas girl. The last time she logged in was the day before she died.

Within about three hours of her death, the first message in remembrance had been posted on her Myspace page. Dozens of people have left messages in the three months since.

Allowing users to post messages celebrating the deceased's life provides an outlet for them to connect and comfort one another during the grieving process, Myspace.com President Tom Anderson said in a statement.

Susan Weeks, a nursing professor at Texas Christian University who specializes in mental health and disaster work, said Mydeathspace could help mourners overcome grief and give them a sense that they are not alone.

But the site could upset relatives and friends of the deceased, because some of the messages posted are flippant or sarcastic.

Patterson said he tries to discourage that by publishing the e-mail addresses of those who write such messages, though people do it anyway.

Weeks also is concerned that some mourners seclude themselves with a computer rather than seek counseling. She suggested that Mydeathspace have links to crisis intervention, suicide prevention and counseling information.

Patterson didn't rule out the possibility of adding the links and said he and his staff are working on some "exciting new features."

He also said the site was able to help a Florida teen who was threatening suicide in April. She e-mailed Patterson to reserve a spot on the site, and he called police, who intervened.

Barbara Williams, 19, of Los Angeles, is a registered user and frequents the site throughout her workday, she said in an e-mail.

It taught her "how easy and possible it is to die, as stupid as it sounds," she said. "Maybe in my arrogance of being a teenager, it wasn't so real to me that it could happen any time soon."

--------------SECOND PART-------------

No Problem!

:D You are being waaaaaaaaaaaaay to hard on yourself. You remind me of me....that's EXACTLY what I would have said about someone who made me answer a bunch of questions and didn't use them. Your post was actually funny, I just didn't want you to think I didn't use you...cuz I did. "Time wasting bitch" was classic. I laughed out loud in my tiny newsroom cubicle. Anyway, thanks for the correction...but you are douche! J/K
    Melissa

well Ms. Mellisa what about the resy of us MDS regulars? Hmmm...I offended...lol
    <br />The Angel within

Quote Originally Posted by actlikebarbara
    OMG....I'M THE WORLD'S BIGGEST DOUCHE!!! I Called the writer of this thread's topic article a time wasting bitch because she didn't include a quote from my interview. She emailed me, saying the version MDS admin posted was cut off and I was, in fact, quoted. I just want everyone to know she is a wonderful, sweet person and wrote a very nice, honest article and omg I have to really rub it in because I was SUCH a fucking stupid bitch for being mad about something so silly. Anyways, here's the article, with my quote at the bottom. Woot woot.
    Wow, I didn't realise it cuts posts off that are too long. sorry bmw!!!

Thread Information