Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Texas abortion law SB8 and the attack on Roe v. Wade

Texas abortion law SB8 and the attack on Roe v. Wade

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/...at/5699031001/

GOP legislative leaders 'already working' on Texas-style abortion restrictions in Florida
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-11-2022 at 05:12 PM.

This is awful, way to set us back.

I saw on FB DL Hughley (who I follow) posted something great:

"You won't force a 15 year old to wear a mask at school but you'll force her to be a mother? Fuck you Texas"

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    This is awful, way to set us back.

I saw on FB DL Hughley (who I follow) posted something great:

"You won't force a 15 year old to wear a mask at school but you'll force her to be a mother? Fuck you Texas"
    Exactly.

I am really glad that I cannot physically conceive anymore.

https://www.sdpb.org/blogs/news-and-information/post/
    Noem Reviewing Abortion Laws Following Upheld Texas Law
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    https://www.sdpb.org/blogs/news-and-information/post/
    Noem Reviewing Abortion Laws Following Upheld Texas Law
    I look for all the GOP led states to run as fast as they can to follow Texas. This is what they have been waiting for.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I look for all the GOP led states to run as fast as they can to follow Texas. This is what they have been waiting for.
    Not only that, but the Supreme Court didn't move to block this. They sided with Texas and they're due to review Roe v Wade soon. This could be nationwide before we know it.

The hubby and I have decided to speed up the moving process. We're trying to sell the business for rock bottom now and if we can't get it for that then we're just selling the client list and getting out if here. He's over it and so am I. I have an appointment for my passport next Tuesday and we're clearing out junk and selling stuff as we speak. By this time next year we'll likely be in Ireland. The only thing that breaks my heart is leaving my Mom behind. I've researched ways of trying to take her with us, but there aren't any. Unless hubby has an old relative that is willing to marry her.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Not only that, but the Supreme Court didn't move to block this. They sided with Texas and they're due to review Roe v Wade soon. This could be nationwide before we know it.

The hubby and I have decided to speed up the moving process. We're trying to sell the business for rock bottom now and if we can't get it for that then we're just selling the client list and getting out if here. He's over it and so am I. I have an appointment for my passport next Tuesday and we're clearing out junk and selling stuff as we speak. By this time next year we'll likely be in Ireland. The only thing that breaks my heart is leaving my Mom behind. I've researched ways of trying to take her with us, but there aren't any. Unless hubby has an old relative that is willing to marry her.
    Whoa, that's quite a move! I'm happy for you...I think? lol.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Whoa, that's quite a move! I'm happy for you...I think? lol.
    We've always planned on it, just wanted to sell the business for what it was worth first. Well, Covid fucked that up. We'll be lucky to get what we paid for it 13 years ago now and likely will have to sell just the client list which is a fraction. Hubby isn't a US citizen. He's a green card holder and in order for me to get Irish Citizenship I have to live there for at least five years.

It's going to be very different for me and I'm sure it won't be easy, but I'd rather be there than here at this point. Having an EU passport is worth it's weight in gold. I can basically live and work anywhere in the EU with one.

We've always planned on it, just wanted to sell the business for what it was worth first. Well, Covid fucked that up. We'll be lucky to get what we paid for it 13 years ago now and likely will have to sell just the client list which is a fraction. Hubby isn't a US citizen. He's a green card holder and in order for me to get Irish Citizenship I have to live there for at least five years.

It's going to be very different for me and I'm sure it won't be easy, but I'd rather be there than here at this point. Having an EU passport is worth it's weight in gold. I can basically live and work anywhere in the EU with one.
    We'll be sorry to lose you here, but I totally understand. Back in the day going to England with hubby's citizenship was always our backup plan. We lived there briefly in the early 90's and decided America was a better plan since we were just starting out, but always had the free healthcare and safety net of England as a possible option. Now England is as bad as we are, so forget that.

I hope it all works out and you can sell your business for what you want and move on YOUR timeline!

We'll be sorry to lose you here, but I totally understand. Back in the day going to England with hubby's citizenship was always our backup plan. We lived there briefly in the early 90's and decided America was a better plan since we were just starting out, but always had the free healthcare and safety net of England as a possible option. Now England is as bad as we are, so forget that.

I hope it all works out and you can sell your business for what you want and move on YOUR timeline!
    Wait, you can't get on MDS in Ireland?

Wait, you can't get on MDS in Ireland?

I just meant here in the US. We need all the intelligent, non Trumpy people we can get here.

I just meant here in the US. We need all the intelligent, non Trumpy people we can get here.
    Okay, I was like...wait, what?

Okay, I was like...wait, what?

Texas abortion law SB8 and the attack on Roe v. Wade

I truly thought we had a dedicated abortion thread, but I have looked and looked and cannot find it. I think this is worthy of it's own thread. I am going to move the posts we have made in other threads over to this one. This really makes me miss Ann Richards.

Last edited by raisedbywolves; 09-05-2021 at 03:57 PM.

What is it with Texas and hating on women's rights?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    What is it with Texas and hating on women's rights?

Truth

Im a dumby when it comes to anything law related. Can law SB8 be overturned?

If I had the money I would travel and go and protest with the rest of the women warriors out there.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Truth

If I had the money I would travel and go and protest with the rest of the women warriors out there.
    Laws can always be overturned if you get the right people in power, case in point with RvW. The GOP though has gerrymandered and is passing laws to make it harder to vote, in an attempt to block the people they see as voting for Democrats. So in theory, unless Biden adds more justices to the Supreme Court it looks like the law is here to stay because the Supreme Court already upheld it.

Truth

Sure it can. There are many ways that it be derailed. But. By allowing it to go into effect 100s of people will be harmed. And of course there's always the chance that it won't be. These may help explain...
    https://www.businessinsider.com/gop-...ion-law-2021-9

https://www.vox.com/2021/8/31/226503...de-greg-abbott
    Last edited by puzzld; 09-05-2021 at 05:12 PM.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Laws can always be overturned if you get the right people in power, case in point with RvW. The GOP though has gerrymandered and is passing laws to make it harder to vote, in an attempt to block the people they see as voting for Democrats. So in theory, unless Biden adds more justices to the Supreme Court it looks like the law is here to stay because the Supreme Court already upheld it.
    Not quite correct. They didn't uphold it. They "just" didn't stop it. The law will still get many days in court and it may well fall, but the case will have to be brought by someone(s) who are actually harmed by it. Meanwhile, God only knows what damage will be done.

On the other hand, pro-choice peeps are fired up and maybe we'll manage to get better protections passed.

I'm sick about this, don't get me wrong, but even after everything that's gone on I still have hope that sanity will prevail. If you read the links I posted on Ange's post, you'll see the arguments that if this is allowed to stand it opens the door to all sorts of shenanigans.
    Last edited by puzzld; 09-05-2021 at 05:11 PM.

I wonder how Sarah Weddington feels about this?!
    Sarah was an attorney for Roe during the trial.
    I met her at my college when I was a freshman or sophomore.
    I want to move to Japan, BB.
    I hate this country!
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Double post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Not quite correct. They didn't uphold it. They "just" didn't stop it. The law will still get many days in court and it may well fall, but the case will have to be brought by someone(s) who are actually harmed by it. Meanwhile, God only knows what damage will be done.

On the other hand, pro-choice peeps are fired up and maybe we'll manage to get better protections passed.

I'm sick about this, don't get me wrong, but even after everything that's gone on I still have hope that sanity will prevail. If you read the links I posted on Ange's post, you'll see the arguments that if this is allowed to stand it opens the door to all sorts of shenanigans.
    Exactly. Like suing the local government for aiding and abetting because they run public transportation. Suing private companies because the salary they paid to a women that got an abortion is aiding and abetting. It's fucking ridiculous that the supreme court didn't stop this KNOWING how ridiculous this law was in addition to it being unconstitutional. This is why I'm nervous about them revisited Roe v Wade. Because if they were eager enough to restrict abortions with this assanine law then there is little hope when it comes to anything else. This should have been a slam dunk "DISSENT" regardless of how conservative you are.

From what I understand they issued a stay on the law, allowing it to continue for now until they see what happens with it. This law was dreamed up by a religious guy on the border of Louisiana. Then he started getting it into towns/cities. My old town of Lubbock became a sanctuary city by adopting it. PP was forced to shut down because of it. Then they moved to the state-wide scale with it, and it will essentially do the same thing it did in Lubbock on the state level.

It definitely opens up the door to all sorts of shenanigans, that's been my point from the start that this is ridiculous and potentially all consuming, but they shouldn't have allowed it to stand due to constitutionality and this issue with all kinds of people/corporations/etc getting sucked in...but they did.

I am less optimistic about getting better protections passed. They have managed to connive and scheme to get their un-just justices in, and this was their goal. I am really thoroughly disgusted with all the people that couldn't be bothered to vote for Hillary because that is why we are here. I hope they realize what they have done.

I can't copy and past it, but this is worth reading.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...em-ncna1278534

From abortion to climate change, the 'alarmists' were right. Now stop calling them alarmists.

Thread Information