Thread: Worcester mourns death of boy (Hunter Hornbeck, 7), in ATV crash

Worcester mourns death of boy (Hunter Hornbeck, 7), in ATV crash

https://www.gofundme.com/f/sudden-de...unter-hornbeck

https://www.thedailystar.com/news/lo...xtual-fallback

The Worcester Central School District and surrounding communities are mourning the loss of one of their youngest members.

Seven-year-old Decatur resident Hunter Hornbeck died as a result of his injuries after the all-terrain vehicle he was riding crashed last week.

He was airlifted Friday, Aug. 27, to Albany Medical Center following the crash on Fisher Road in Decatur. New York State Police and the Worcester Emergency Squad responded to the scene.

A preliminary investigation of the crash yielded no signs of foul play, according to troopers.

'Our entire school community is heartbroken over the loss of Hunter,' Worcester Central School District Superintendent Tim Gonzales said. 'There are no words to express the pain and grief we are feeling as we struggle to make sense of losing such a beautiful young life. Our hearts are with the Hornbeck family as they cope with this unthinkable loss and we will support them in any way we can.'

Counseling services were available to staff and students via phone throughout the weekend and will continue to be available at the school throughout the week, according to Gonzales. Sadie, the goldendoodle therapy dog at Schenevus Central School, is available to staff and students at both districts.

Described in his obituary as 'a little explorer who loved fishing, hunting and anything with an engine,' Hunter was 'happiest when he was outdoors,' according to his family. The family dogs, Scout and Sierra, were his 'sidekicks.'

Hunter's father, Jason, serves as Otsego County's highway garage supervisor. His mother, Hanna, is a graduate of Schenevus, according to district Superintendent Theresa Carlin.

Listed among Hunter's favorite activities are hiking to the mud pit and building forts with his older sister, Savannah, 'gator rides with Grammy, and Jeep rides with Papa to get ice cream.'

Hunter was 'quite the charmer,' according to his obituary. The rising second-grader was fond of picking flowers for both his mother and his favorite bus driver, Dawn Tuthill.

'He was a sweetheart,' Tuthill told The Daily Star. 'He truly will be missed.'

Tuthill said she often saw the entire Hornbeck family at the bus stop.

'I hope they know how much he was loved,' she said.

A GoFundMe set up for the family raised more than $28,000 in its first two days online. Visit gofund.me/5fd99ad1 to donate.

'It is amazing how someone so small can make such a big impact,' Gonzales said.

The family will receive visitors from 2 to 4 p.m. Friday, Sept. 3, at the United Methodist Church in Worcester. The funeral will follow at 4 p.m. Those in attendance are asked to wear 'your favorite play clothes, blue, green or camo in honor of Huntie.'

Donations may be made to the Worcester Emergency Squad, PO Box 191, Worcester, NY 12197.
    Last edited by up2trouble; 09-03-2021 at 12:31 PM.

I live within an hour drive, on mountain roads, of this one. Over the last couple of months, I have been to 2 different benefits for kids in this area who were hurt riding ATVs.

Was he the one driving? 7 is too young for that!

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Honestly, ATVs are super dangerous at any age. There's a slew of articles on here about people who have died in ATV accidents. But yes, 7 years old is insanity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Honestly, ATVs are super dangerous at any age. There's a slew of articles on here about people who have died in ATV accidents. But yes, 7 years old is insanity.
    They can be, but I feel like if you are an adult and responsible they can be relatively safe. It's when people go too fast, try and go over bumps, etc. that it is at a risk to flip. I was just driving one a few years ago when I was at my dad's cabin in WA. There's a lot of windy dirt roads we drove down, but I knew to slow down on curves. It was just the drop down the mountain that would've sucked That was the only thing that scared me so I made sure to stay far away from the edge.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I see people out here driving them while holding infants and toddlers. I see 3-4 year olds driving them. They don't care. Here, hold my beer.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I see people out here driving them while holding infants and toddlers. I see 3-4 year olds driving them. They don't care. Here, hold my beer.
    I will admit, I was pretty young when I was driving them. My dad is all about the outdoors (camping, fishing, hunting, etc.) and he always wanted sons to do that stuff with. He had 3 daughters. I was always against hunting and refused to go, but I really wanted to ride the ATV's at probably, 10 years old. We were on my uncle's property and we would ride without helmets. I just didn't know better, and my dad never made me wear one. We did have to stay within eyesight of him and the ground is all pretty flat so we luckily never had an accident.

I remember there were only 2 ATV's and there were 3 of us, so to make sure the other didn't feel left out, one of us was stuck riding a lawnmower Safety, man.

I will admit, I was pretty young when I was driving them. My dad is all about the outdoors (camping, fishing, hunting, etc.) and he always wanted sons to do that stuff with. He had 3 daughters. I was always against hunting and refused to go, but I really wanted to ride the ATV's at probably, 10 years old. We were on my uncle's property and we would ride without helmets. I just didn't know better, and my dad never made me wear one. We did have to stay within eyesight of him and the ground is all pretty flat so we luckily never had an accident.

I remember there were only 2 ATV's and there were 3 of us, so to make sure the other didn't feel left out, one of us was stuck riding a lawnmower Safety, man.
    I raced go-karts at age 5 and rode motorcycles and ATVs from age 10 onwards, so I totally get it. We used to ride a lawnmover too and race it at my grandpa's house, lol. These are the same people though that line up and stop traffic near my house for literally two hours every day because their precious little junior can't walk home from school because it's too dangerous.

Yes we did dangerous things in my childhood, but our parents didn't then turn around and act like we would die if we had to drink tap water. Parents today are schizo. They can't decide if their little bundle of joy needs to be bubble wrapped or should be able to have a gun 5 minutes after coming out of the womb, so they do both.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    I know of 3 people around here that were in ATV accidents, 2 died and one nearly died, 2 hit a wire fence they didn't see going fast (not the same accident, separate accidents) the other it rolled on her.

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

I'm guessing that he was one driving. A good friend has 2 boys and he bought ATVs for them. One offered to take me for a ride when he was about 9. When I complained to his dad that he was too young and it could flip on him. He told me too late; it had already happened. My little daredevils were living on 27 acres and thought it was fun to speed, etc.

PS. They also love guns and can shoot.

Thread Information