Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: An alligator attacked and ate a Louisiana man, Timothy Satterlee Sr (71), in an area flooded by Ida

  1. #1
    Senior Member puke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wheaton, IL
    Posts
    3,346
    Rep Power
    21474854

    An alligator attacked and ate a Louisiana man, Timothy Satterlee Sr (71), in an area flooded by Ida

    Grim




    A Louisiana man was missing and presumed dead after an alligator attacked him on Monday in an area that was flooded during Hurricane Ida, the authorities said.

    A woman said that at about noon on Monday, her 71-year-old husband was attacked by an alligator while walking in knee-high floodwaters at their home in the city of Slidell, about 30 miles northeast of New Orleans on the north side of Lake Pontchartrain, according to the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office.

    Capt. Lance Vitter of the Sheriff's Office said the man had gone to check on his belongings in a storage area below the house.

    The woman, whose name was not released, told deputies that she was inside her home when she heard a commotion and splashing. When she went outside, she saw a large alligator attacking her husband, the Sheriff's Office said.

    When she opened up the door, the alligator had him in the death roll, Captain Vitter said on Tuesday.

    After the attack, which resulted in the loss of one of the man's arms, the woman pulled him out of the floodwaters and returned inside to gather first aid supplies, the Sheriff's Office said.

    When she realized the severity of his injuries, she got into a boat to seek help, about a mile away. Captain Vitter said 911 wasn't working at the time and that she couldn?t call for help. When she returned, her husband was gone, the Sheriff's Office said.

    Deputies efforts to find the man were unsuccessful, and the incident remains under investigation.

    Captain Vitter said the couple?s home is surrounded by marsh and in an area that is well known to have alligators.

    It was not uncommon for people to see alligators seven feet or longer, he said.

    In a statement, Sheriff Randy Smith of the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office warned residents to be "extra vigilant" while walking in flooded areas because the storm may have displaced wildlife, causing alligators and other animals to move closer into neighborhoods.

    Louisiana and Florida have the largest alligator populations in the United States, with more than one million wild alligators in each state, according to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. Alligators are most common in Louisiana's coastal marshes but can also be found in ponds, lakes, canals, rivers, swamps and bayous.

    At least five other deaths three in Louisiana and two in Mississippi have been attributed to the storm, officials said.
    Last edited by puke; 08-31-2021 at 05:52 PM.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Queena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Posts
    2,631
    Rep Power
    21474846
    Did the alligator find him and finish eating? Do alligators eat whole human bodies? See I don't do alligators, or any creature larger than a ant. Ain't no way I could live near alligators. This poor man and his poor wife.

    Do they find the human eating gator and kill him the way that they do coyotes?

  3. #3
    Senior Member puke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wheaton, IL
    Posts
    3,346
    Rep Power
    21474854
    Probably dragged the dude back out into the water somewhere and stuffed him underneath a log or something. They do that to hide their food and to let the meat soften.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us.

  4. #4
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    21,359
    Rep Power
    21474866
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...found-n1279224

    504-pound alligator suspected of killing Louisiana man during Ida found with human remains in stomach

  5. #5
    What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    19,612
    Rep Power
    21474864
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...found-n1279224

    504-pound alligator suspected of killing Louisiana man during Ida found with human remains in stomach
    Gaters gonna Gater
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

  6. #6
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    21,359
    Rep Power
    21474866
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Gaters gonna Gater
    I swim in lakes/rivers with gators in them all the time and have no issue. Usually when gators attack it is because they have been fed by humans or abused by humans. It's possible that the unique circumstances posed by the storm just put this guy in the wrong place at the wrong time, but there is a reason they are able to find the gators that eat humans and differentiate them from the other gators, and that is because they are acting different from how most gators usually act. I don't mess with the gators but I'm not deathly afraid of them either.

  7. #7
    Scoopski Potatoes Nic B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    10,268
    Rep Power
    21474857
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I swim in lakes/rivers with gators in them all the time and have no issue. Usually when gators attack it is because they have been fed by humans or abused by humans. It's possible that the unique circumstances posed by the storm just put this guy in the wrong place at the wrong time, but there is a reason they are able to find the gators that eat humans and differentiate them from the other gators, and that is because they are acting different from how most gators usually act. I don't mess with the gators but I'm not deathly afraid of them either.
    Fuck that noise!


    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

  8. #8
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    21,359
    Rep Power
    21474866
    I pretty much assume every body of water in Florida has a gator or two in it, including some swimming pools, lol. People in Florida play in the water (lakes, rivers, etc) the same as they do in other places. Tales of gator attacks are very few and far between, and every one that I have heard of involves someone taunting a gator or people feeding the gator and the gator then associating people with food. If a gator is in that situation, then they are dangerous. Otherwise, they don't want interaction with humans and stay away. They don't like the noise of boats and they stay away. I'm going to guess more people were killed in a car wreck on their way to work today in Florida than will be bitten (most bites aren't kill situations) by a gator in the whole next year.

  9. #9
    Prison Mike Angiebla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    12,735
    Rep Power
    21474857
    This is just like the movie Crawl.

    "The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

  10. #10
    Scoopski Potatoes Nic B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    10,268
    Rep Power
    21474857
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I pretty much assume every body of water in Florida has a gator or two in it, including some swimming pools, lol. People in Florida play in the water (lakes, rivers, etc) the same as they do in other places. Tales of gator attacks are very few and far between, and every one that I have heard of involves someone taunting a gator or people feeding the gator and the gator then associating people with food. If a gator is in that situation, then they are dangerous. Otherwise, they don't want interaction with humans and stay away. They don't like the noise of boats and they stay away. I'm going to guess more people were killed in a car wreck on their way to work today in Florida than will be bitten (most bites aren't kill situations) by a gator in the whole next year.
    Gators scare the shit out of me. Maybe it wouldn't scare me as much if I grew up in an area that had them, but I have never seen one in real life and I want to keep it that way lol.


    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

  11. #11
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    21,359
    Rep Power
    21474866
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...e-504-n1280087

    The human remains found inside a 12-foot alligator’s stomach belong to a man who went missing in Hurricane Ida floodwaters on Aug. 30, a Louisiana coroner said this week.

    Timothy Satterlee Sr., 71, was attacked by the gator last month outside their home in the city of Slidell, his wife, who witnessed the attack, previously told authorities.

    Nearly two weeks after the attack, authorities captured the alligator believed to be responsible for the attack in the Avery Estates area near Slidell, a city on Lake Pontchartrain across from New Orleans, according to the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office.

    Once euthanized, the alligator’s stomach contents revealed human remains. On Thursday, St. Tammany Parish Coroner Dr. Charles Preston confirmed in a news release that the remains belong to Satterlee.

    The coroner's office used DNA samples extracted from the remain's tissue and compared those to samples from Satterlee's sons. Investigators were able to make an 11-point DNA match with Satterlee’s children.

    “For legal purposes, a 16-point match is the general standard,” Preston said in the release. “In this case, given the circumstances, I am satisfied that an 11-point match confirms these are Mr. Satterlee’s remains.”

    Preston said they’ve also acquired hair and other samples from Satterlee’s home and will try to make a full DNA match.

  12. #12
    Prison Mike Angiebla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    12,735
    Rep Power
    21474857
    So did they kill a bunch of gators and cut them open and check for remains? How did they know which gator did it?

    "The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

  13. #13
    Moderator puzzld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    20,459
    Rep Power
    21474871
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    So did they kill a bunch of gators and cut them open and check for remains? How did they know which gator did it?
    With 2 million alligators in Louisiana, the search for the one that killed Satterlee could have been futile. So while sheriff's deputies and Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries agents scoured the marshes with cadaver dogs, Preston began to consider ways Satterlee could be considered ?presumed dead without the body,? a declaration that usually requires a person be missing for five years or to have been involved in an unsurvivable catastrophe.

    The exercise became moot two weeks after Satterlee disappeared, when deputies and wildlife agents spotted a large alligator via drone video near where he was last seen. They trapped it and killed it with a gunshot between the eyes. It was 12 feet long and weighed 504 pounds, the Sheriff's Office said.

    ?We had a lot of luck on our side,? Vitter said. ?It was the first one they caught.?

    https://www.nola.com/news/hurricane/...84f5de1c2.html
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •