Thread: Jelani Day (25) found dead on a riverbank almost two weeks after going missing from Illinois State University

Jelani Day (25) found dead on a riverbank almost two weeks after going missing from Illinois State University

https://www.wglt.org/local-news/2021...-circumstances

Authorities are looking for the public?s help locating an Illinois State University graduate student who went missing this week under ?unexplained suspicious circumstances.?

Jelani Day, 25, was last seen Tuesday morning on a security camera at ISU?s Bone Student Center. He was reported missing Wednesday by his family. His vehicle was found Thursday concealed in a wooded area in Peru, about 60 miles north of Normal. An extensive ground and aerial search were conducted.

Day is Black, 6-foot-2, 180 pounds, with short black hair and brown eyes, with some facial hair. Day?s vehicle is a white 2010 Chrysler 300 (Illinois registration #CH74067). On Tuesday morning he was wearing a blue, button-up collared dress shirt, black pants, black belt, black dress shoes, and a blue face covering, authorities said.

Bloomington and Peru detectives are asking the assistance from central Illinois residents who may have seen the vehicle or Jelani, or any else operating the vehicle in the area this week, especially between 7 a.m. Tuesday and 4:20 p.m. Thursday.

"We have no specific details that would lead us to believe that foul play is suspected at this time," said Bloomington Police spokesperson Officer John Fermon. "At this point, Jelani is still just a missing person who we hope to locate soon. ... Of course, with time and information/possible evidence, that can change but at this point he is a missing person."

ISU Police Chief Aaron Woodruff said he had not seen any evidence of foul play while Day was "on campus after reviewing extensive video footage from what we believe was the last time he was on campus."

?We continue to assist Bloomington Police in the investigation,? said Woodruff. ?We strongly urge anyone with information to contact Bloomington PD.?

Day is a graduate student in ISU?s speech pathology program. He has family in Danville.

?Jelani is such a sweet and respectful man,? said Communications Sciences and Disorders Director of Clinical Experiences Cara Boester. ?The cohort and the entire CSD family are concerned and want to see him safe.?

Those with information should contact Bloomington Police Detective Paul Jones at (309) 434-2548 or at Pjones@cityblm.org.
    https://www.wglt.org/local-news/2021...u-grad-student

Bloomington Police said they now have two sets of video of a missing Illinois State University graduate student taken a couple hours apart a week ago, wearing different sets of clothes.

The new surveillance footage, released Tuesday, shows Jelani Day at a Bloomington cannabis dispensary on the morning of Aug. 24.

Detectives ask anyone who saw Jelani Day after about mid-morning Aug. 24 wearing silver or white shorts, a black Jimi Hendrix Band T-shirt with a unique logo, black shoes with white soles, and a Detroit Lions baseball hat to contact them.

That was what he wore in video from a cannabis store just off Veterans Parkway in Bloomington about 9:12 a.m. Aug. 24, police said. Day's car, a white Chrysler 300, was found two days later in a wooded area of Peru, Illinois, about an hour's drive north from Bloomington-Normal. The clothes Day wore at the marijuana store were in the vehicle.

Video from the Bone Student Center at ISU shows Day wearing dress clothes about 7:20 a.m. that morning. In that video, he wore a blue button up collared dress shirt, black pants, black belt, black dress shoes, and a blue face covering.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    It's not looking good. I'm wondering if he went somewhere and harmed himself?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    It's not looking good. I'm wondering if he went somewhere and harmed himself?
    I don't know. Picking up some weed seems pretty harmless and not something someone might do before running off to kill themselves. It seems like something you'd do before meeting up with someone to hang out though.

He seems really sweet. I hope they find him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

https://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...82e75c211.html

Identification of body that could be missing Danville man could take weeks

The LaSalle County coroner said Monday it will take several weeks for DNA tests to come back in the hopes of identifying the body of a male found near the Illinois River.

Several police, fire and rescue agencies conducted a search in the LaSalle-Peru area in an attempt to find Jelani “JJ” Day, 25, of Danville, who has been reported missing.

The search team found a body just off the south bank of the Illinois River, east of the Illinois 251 bridge.

During an autopsy, the body was found to be a male, but no positive identification could be made.

LaSalle County Coroner Rich Ploch said it will take some time before an identification can be made due to a backlog of DNA cases.

The Bloomington Police Department, which was one of the agencies involved in the search, is still seeking information on Day. Anyone with information regarding his disappearance is asked to contact Det. Paul Jones at 309-434-2548 or Pjones@cityblm.org.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/body-iden...211315083.html

Body identified as missing Illinois State University graduate student Jelani Day

A body found in the Illinois River earlier this month has been identified as missing Illinois State University graduate student Jelani Day, the LaSalle County Coroner's Office confirmed on Thursday.

Day's cause of death has not yet been determined, the coroner said, and his death is still under investigation.
    His body was found near the banks of the river on September 4, authorities said, though it took several days to confirm his identification.

Oh no :(

https://abc7chicago.com/jelani-day-m...body/11115963/

Jelani Day update: Mother of ISU student pulled from river clarifies autopsy 'contradictions'

The family of an Illinois State University graduate student whose body was pulled from the Illinois River last month is responding to what it calls "contradictions" between two autopsies.

Online reports claim some of Day's organs were missing during a second independent autopsy.

But Day's mother said Monday that's not true. She disputes speculation that her son's organs might have been harvested.

"This is not a case of organ harvesting, however, my son did not put himself in a river," Carmen Bolden Day said in a statement. "My son was murdered and my goal and purpose are to find out what happened and hold those responsible accountable!!!"

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    My gut tells me that he didn't commit suicide. My initial thoughts on this stand. I think he went to meet someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

Is there a bridge nearby? What was his cause of death?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Is there a bridge nearby? What was his cause of death?
    He was a 1/4 mile downstream from a bridge, but they haven't established a COD.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...stery/2634735/

Details surrounding what exactly happened to Illinois State University graduate student Jelani Day are scarce, but answers are "still going to take some time," according to the coroner.

LaSalle County Coroner Richard Ploch told NBC 5 in a statement Tuesday that Day's cause and manner of death are still not known, more than a month after his body was discovered in the Illinois River following what police said were "suspicious" and "unusual" circumstances.

The coroner reported Day's body was discovered on Sept. 4 "floating near the south bank of the Illinois River approximately ? mile east of the Illinois Rt. 251 Bridge."

The cause and manner of death are still awaiting toxicology and histology reports, Ploch said.

Even after that, however, Ploch said he still needs "the police agencies to help with the big piece on how he came to be in the water."

Ploch also clarified recent reports that organs were missing during an independent autopsy ordered by Day's family.

Ploch told NBC 5 "some [organs] were severely decomposed due to the body being in the water," but none were missing.
    Coroner Responds to Recent Reports in Jelani Day Case, Cause of Death Still a Mystery

Thread Information