Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Family Of Three + Their Dog Found Deceased In Mysterious Circumstances On Hiking Trail Near Devil's Gulch. Hazmat Scene Declared

Quote Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
    Okay. It's looking like we're right about toxic algae. I have questions -
    I am not a hiker, I would rather have a third root canal so I don't get some things....

1. Why did they not have inflammation/irritation of the mouth and/or lungs?
    2. Why would they drink water that has toxins in it? Even filtered.
    I see those warning signs, I'm a nope!
    Why do hikers think toxins will be filtered out? It's not like it's just dirty water.
    Why wouldn't they bring their own water?
    From RBW post:
    Water samples from the area -- along with samples of the drinking water the family packed
    they packed their own water. What are the chances that they went swimming in the water?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    From RBW post:

they packed their own water. What are the chances that they went swimming in the water?
    This is what I don't get. Even if only the dog went in the water and shook off on them, how would it be so lethal that it kills ALL of them? Wouldn't you have to ingest it? Did they lick the dog dry?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

It can enter through skin but they were clothed. Skinny dipping in the toxins? Still confused. Maybe there's still a twist here.

It can enter through skin but they were clothed. Skinny dipping in the toxins? Still confused. Maybe there's still a twist here.
    At this point, I'm wondering if they were eating sheep dip... It's just so odd.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

What if the dog went into the water, or rolled in dried algae, became too sick to walk & they both took turns carrying him until they became too sick to walk too?

What bugs me about this is that usually with toxins, you froth at the mouth when you're dying. At least as far as I've known. They didn't find any evidence of that in the autopsy? Vomiting? Seizures? Nothing? Just, boom... Dead.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

It's so weird, it kinda reminds me of this, except that there were obvious signs of poisoning in this case

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...ear-s-Day-1963
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-07-2021 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    What bugs me about this is that usually with toxins, you froth at the mouth when you're dying. At least as far as I've known. They didn't find any evidence of that in the autopsy? Vomiting? Seizures? Nothing? Just, boom... Dead.
    Yes! Where's the irritation? The signs of toxin ingestion? Skin damage?

Yes! Where's the irritation? The signs of toxin ingestion? Skin damage?
    It's fucking bizarre. I'm almost positive that they would have at least vomited or something. At least ONE of them out of the four, but all of them.... Nothing? No signs of poisoning at all? And how would the baby ingest water? Wouldn't the baby be drinking formula or be breast fed?

ETA: Okay, the baby was a one year old so I guess she could have drank water too. For some reason I thought she was younger than that. But even still, a baby that small surely would have vomited or at least you would think so.
    Oh well, back to gum.

I was really expecting this to be a freak lightning strike .

Oooh, didn't consider that

Oooh, didn't consider that
    I was thinking indirect lightning strike by ground current. My dad lost several of his pet goats that way and he initially thought they were poisoned or drank bad water because there was nothing visibly wrong with the goats. The vet figured it out after a neighbor reported lighting striking in the pasture .

Awww, poor goats.

There's a lightning map - if someone wants to mess with the dates/times on it you could work out if there were strikes in the area when they were hiking. I'd do it myself but I'm on mobile & I need new glasses

https://www.lightningmaps.org/

I found this story from a few days ago and they are considering the lightning angle. I looked at Blighted's map though and I didn't see anything in that area for the time they were hiking, but maybe I'm not doing it correctly.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...a-16436964.php

Another culprit weighed in deaths of California family found on Sierra National Forest trail

Another possibility is being investigated in a case that one sheriff has called the most mysterious of his career.

John Gerrish, 45, Ellen Chung, 30, and their 1-year-old daughter Miju — as well as their family dog Oski — were found dead Aug. 17 in the Devil's Gulch area in the south fork of the Merced River in the Sierra National Forest.

Responding agencies treated the scene as a hazmat situation because of uncertainty about the cause of the fatalities, and everything from toxic algae to dangerous mine gasses to murder has been probed. According to a New York Times feature on the family, now lightning strikes have been added into the mix.

Law enforcement are "investigating possible lightning strikes in the area" at the time of the deaths, the Times reported.

According to the National Weather Service, being struck by lightning is "primarily an injury to the nervous system, often with brain injury and nerve injury. Serious burns seldom occur." Death, which is extraordinarily rare, can be due to cardiac arrest. NWS data from 1989-2018 shows that 10% of people hit by lightning die, averaging 43 fatalities per year in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I found this story from a few days ago and they are considering the lightning angle. I looked at Blighted's map though and I didn't see anything in that area for the time they were hiking, but maybe I'm not doing it correctly.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...a-16436964.php

Another culprit weighed in deaths of California family found on Sierra National Forest trail
    What are the odds lighting strike would hit all family members and kill them all?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    What are the odds lighting strike would hit all family members and kill them all?
    If they were all close together and lightning struck, the odds are pretty good that they would all get hit, especially if they were touching each other and it could travel easily from one to the other.

If they were all close together and lightning struck, the odds are pretty good that they would all get hit, especially if they were touching each other and it could travel easily from one to the other.
    Okay, I thought I read the wife was found a little bit away from the others. This case is just so odd.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Okay, I thought I read the wife was found a little bit away from the others. This case is just so odd.
    Oh, I didn't go back and re-read and didn't remember that. If they are suspecting lightning maybe it traveled through their bodies and she was the last one and it threw her?

Oh, I didn't go back and re-read and didn't remember that. If they are suspecting lightning maybe it traveled through their bodies and she was the last one and it threw her?
    That would be crazy! I don't really know much about lightning strikes, but doesn't it leave some sort of burn mark?

That would be crazy! I don't really know much about lightning strikes, but doesn't it leave some sort of burn mark?
    When I was little 2 of my mom's friends died on a golf course. They were both touching the same tree. When I found out it was open casket, I refused to go in bc I thought they would look like crispy monsters apparently they didnt.

I would think they would have burn marks though. And what about the dog?

I know a guy who was struck by lightening twice and lived.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

AmIAnnoying said the goats that were struck didn't have any visible injuries.

Plus this says not necessarily:

https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/in...tning-injuries

Symptoms of Lightning Injuries

After a person has been struck by lightning, the heart may stop beating (cardiac arrest ) or may beat erratically. When the heart stops or beats erratically, breathing often stops. The heart may beat again on its own, but if breathing has not restarted, the body is deprived of oxygen. The lack of oxygen and, possibly, nervous system damage can cause the heart to stop beating again.

Brain injury usually causes loss of consciousness . If brain damage is severe, coma may develop. Typically, the person awakens but does not remember what happened before the injury (amnesia ). The person may be confused, think slowly, and have difficulty concentrating and remembering recent events. Personality changes may occur and can be permanent.

The eardrums are often perforated. Many eye injuries can develop, including cataracts . Often both legs become temporarily paralyzed, blue, and numb (keraunoparalysis). The skin may show no marks at all or may have minor burns that have a feathering, branching pattern, consist of clusters of tiny pinpoint spots like a cigarette burn, or consist of streaks where sweat has been turned into steam. Numbness, tingling, and weakness may develop because the nerves branching out from the spinal cord have been damaged (peripheral neuropathy).

AmIAnnoying said the goats that were struck didn't have any visible injuries.

Plus this says not necessarily:

https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/in...tning-injuries
    Interesting. Wouldn't an autopsy show anything? I'm so lost.

Interesting. Wouldn't an autopsy show anything? I'm so lost.
    Yeah you would think there would be some kind of internal indications of it.
    Oh well, back to gum.

Im not buying the lightning strike angle...unless the dog was on a leash and they were all holding onto a tree or something.

Thread Information