Thread: Irene Sanok (92) Died When Her House Suddenly Exploded (Lackawanna, NY)

Irene Sanok (92) Died When Her House Suddenly Exploded (Lackawanna, NY)

Edit : Dammit I screwed up the title. Sorry guys - should be (Lackawanna NY), obviously

https://www.wgrz.com/amp/article/new...mpression=true

National Fuel: No evidence of gas leak at site of Lackawanna house explosion

The utility says testing of main line and service line on Bedford Avenue shows nothing unusual or any evidence of leaking natural gas.

Author: WGRZ Staff
    Published: 11:51 AM EDT July 21, 2021
    Updated: 11:51 AM EDT July 21, 2021

LACKAWANNA, N.Y. ? The investigation is underway into what caused a Lackawanna house to explode Tuesday morning, leaving one woman dead.

Lackawanna Fire Chief James Fino says seven other homes were damaged in the blast. The victim has been identified as 92-year-old Irene Sanok. At this time, it's believed no one else was in the house and that there were no other injuries.

National Fuel released a statement Wednesday saying testing of the main line and service line on Bedford Avenue, as well as soil and atmospheric evaluation have shown nothing unusual. So far, there is no evidence of a system malfunction of natural gas leak. The utility says it is continuing to cooperate with Lackawanna Fire and Police departments, as well as fire investigators from the Erie County Sheriff's office.

Lackawanna Fire crews were called out to Bedford Ave.in Lackawanna shortly after 7 a.m. Bedford is located off Abbott Road in the city's Fourth Ward. The investigation is expected to take several days.

National Fuel also expressed its condolences to the family of Irene Sanok.

However, close to 600 people in the surrounding area are currently without power as a result of this incident.

Neighbors have been evacuated and are waiting to hear when they will be able to return to clean up debris.

Michael Salamone who lives across the street from the house that exploded saw the explosion.

?I got my coffee, walked to the front window as usual, and then everything went white,? Salamone said. ?When the debris stopped falling, and the smoke cleared, I could see that the house across the street was leveled.?

Salamone is a volunteer reserve firefighter with Reserve Hose Fire Co. After the explosion he put on old gear he had at home, grabbed a fire extinguisher and went over to the to check if anyone was there. He checked on other neighbors to make sure they were OK.

He said he had never experienced anything like this.

Neighbor Kayleigh Migheles was sleeping when the explosion happened. One of the first things she saw when she looked out the window was a mattress on the roof of another house.

?I don?t know why, but that was so scary to me, because it was immediately after the explosion that we looked over and the mattress was on the roof. That was something I had never seen before,? Migheles said.

Attached Images Attached Images

Ugh. So my money is on the water heater exploding cause of a pressure issue, or maybe a greedy family member...

Last edited by puzzld; 07-21-2021 at 05:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Damn! It looks like confetti.

If it wasnt a gas leak wtf was it ?!? This is scary as fuck.
    Last edited by Angiebla; 07-22-2021 at 08:25 AM.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    This is terrifying and so, so sad. It had to be a gas explosion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    The gas company says that it wasn't a gas leak nor explosion. The news says no relatives, and I don't see anyone associated with her besides her deceased husband. However, on the husband's obituary there are two children and grandchildren listed. They have a different last name. I wonder if they were step children? How else could a house explode if there WASN'T a gas leak? Here's the husband's obituary https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries...ary?id=4687921

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    The gas company says that it wasn't a gas leak nor explosion. The news says no relatives, and I don't see anyone associated with her besides her deceased husband. However, on the husband's obituary there are two children and grandchildren listed. They have a different last name. I wonder if they were step children? How else could a house explode if there WASN'T a gas leak? Here's the husband's obituary https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries...ary?id=4687921
    That's what I'm thinking. It had to be gas. I can't see a house exploding outward like that and to that extent unless it was a gas explosion. It makes zero sense.

lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I get this, but it's hard for me to believe that a singular water heater could turn an entire house made of brick in to confetti. Even in this video, it didn't decimate the structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I get this, but it's hard for me to believe that a singular water heater could turn an entire house made of brick in to confetti. Even in this video, it didn't decimate the structure.
    Yeah, but that was Mythbusters with a flimsy temp building. A sturdier building may well break into smaller pieces. It could be something else, but, I can't think what that might be. Ok maybe demonic possession?

A school

This was a boiler explosion, but a much larger building... Maybe she had steam heat? That could be a possibility I suppose?

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    I think that it was a gas leak and the gas company is in CYA mode. Neighbors smelled gas in the days before. Someone smelled gas so strong that they struck a match before turning on the oven. This had to be a gas leak.

I feel sorry for her, it seems as if she doesn't have much family left.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Yeah, but that was Mythbusters with a flimsy temp building. A sturdier building may well break into smaller pieces. It could be something else, but, I can't think what that might be. Ok maybe demonic possession?

A school

This was a boiler explosion, but a much larger building... Maybe she had steam heat? That could be a possibility I suppose?
    I suppose it's possible. There was also a fire and I'm obviously not familiar with water heater blasts, but would it cause a fire? Either way, it'll come out eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I suppose it's possible. There was also a fire and I'm obviously not familiar with water heater blasts, but would it cause a fire? Either way, it'll come out eventually.
    If it was a gas water heater or boiler, quite possibly could cause a fire. Electric is less likely to, but still a possibility. But in my trip down the rabbit hole of exploding water heaters, I saw a story about a tankless water heater exploding! That surprised me, I wouldn't have thought that was a possibility...

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    I think that it was a gas leak and the gas company is in CYA mode. Neighbors smelled gas in the days before. Someone smelled gas so strong that they struck a match before turning on the oven. This had to be a gas leak.

I feel sorry for her, it seems as if she doesn't have much family left.
    Yikes. Has to be a gas leak.

Thread Information