Thread: Fitness influencer (Odalis Santos Mena, 23) dies after botched operation to fix constant sweating

Fitness influencer (Odalis Santos Mena, 23) dies after botched operation to fix constant sweating

https://www.instagram.com/odalis_sm/

https://nypost.com/2021/07/14/instag...-fix-sweating/

A popular Mexican fitfluencer and bodybuilder tragically died July 7 after apparently undergoing a botched operation to remedy her profuse perspiration.

Odalis Santos Mena, 23 ' who regularly uploaded pics of her ripped physique to her 147,000 Instagram followers ' was reportedly recruited by the SkinPiel clinic in Guadalajara to promote a breakthrough antiperspirant treatment called MiraDry.

The procedure purportedly combated excess underarm sweat by using heat energy to remove sweat glands, thereby mitigating body odor and even reducing armpit hair.

However, the endorsement stunt went horrifically awry when she suffered cardiac arrest after being anesthetized. Mena died shortly thereafter, when the clinic's employees were unable to revive her via CPR.

Enamored of the so-called antiperspirant panacea, Mena had reportedly promoted MiraDry on social media with assurances that the 'no sweat' treatment was safe and effective.

Police have since launched an investigation, with subsequent reports attributing her death to negligence stemming from the anesthesia reportedly being administered by someone who wasn't a trained anesthesiologist.

Meanwhile, coroners have chalked up her death to a combination of the anesthesia and a steroid Mena was taking, something the SkinPiel clinic claimed it was unaware of at the time.

The freak accident marks a tragic end for the young musclewoman, who frequently took part in bodybuilding competitions, most notably winning the 2019 Miss and Mr. Hercules title, as well as the Wellness Fitness Juvenile contest just before she died, according to the Sun. She was reportedly also studying for a degree in nutrition.

Mena's death sent shockwaves across social media with the Insta star's personal trainer and boyfriend, Victor Gomez Carreno, reportedly posting on his private Instagram account:

''Your actions in life, echo in eternity,' he wrote. 'I will take you with me forever short, it makes no sense to write here what I feel in my heart @odalis_sm, I love you.'

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I literally almost died during a surgery for this exact same problem. Definitely not worth it. Good news is my hands no longer sweat.

Kind of misleading....the actual procedure had nothing to do with her death. She had a reaction to being put under, most likely due to steroids she was taking.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I'm so sorry, glad you were ok! I have not heard good things about this type of surgery (even though this person died from the anesthesia being bogus from the sounds of it).
    I had it when they first started the procedure like 15 years ago or so. My husband was very worried because what was supposed to be a 30 minute procedure turned into a 6-hour surgery. My oxygen levels dropped down into the 30s and I kept crashing. Of course they didn't tell him about it until after it was over. I swore then I would not have any other elective surgeries like this. No way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    I had it when they first started the procedure like 15 years ago or so. My husband was very worried because what was supposed to be a 30 minute procedure turned into a 6-hour surgery. My oxygen levels dropped down into the 30s and I kept crashing. Of course they didn't tell him about it until after it was over. I swore then I would not have any other elective surgeries like this. No way.
    So glad you got through it!

Surgery scares the crap out of me. My dad went in for one, they said a few hours. EIGHT hours later he was still in surgery and no one could tell me ANYTHING. It was scary.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    So glad you got through it!

Surgery scares the crap out of me. My dad went in for one, they said a few hours. EIGHT hours later he was still in surgery and no one could tell me ANYTHING. It was scary.
    It really is scary!!! They can at least provide updates for family.

Thread Information