Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Baseball coach (Jay Boughton, 56) shot dead driving on highway

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Plymouth Police ‘Running Into A Dead End’ In Fatal Hwy 169 Shooting Of Youth Coach, Need Public’s Help IDing Suspect

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Plymouth police say they are “running into a dead end” in the fatal shooting of a youth baseball coach on Highway 169 and need more tips from the public.

According to Deputy Police Chief Jeff Swiatkiewicz, police have received more than 200 tips in connection to last week’s fatal shooting and have followed up on nearly all of them. None of them have resulted in an arrest so far.

Jay Boughton, 56, and his son were driving south on Highway 169 in the west metro when there was an altercation between him and another driver. Then, the other driver opened fire on Boughton, killing him.

The suspect vehicle, which was captured on video, is believed to be a light-colored SUV, possibly a Chevrolet Tahoe or Suburban, or a Ford Expedition. The vehicle is said to have damage on the driver’s side rear bumper. Plymouth police are asking for the public’s help in locating the car.

Swiatkiewicz says police have received videos from motorists, but nothing that shows a license plate or a good look at the driver.

Police are working with experts to enhance video to get a better look at the suspected shooter’s vehicle and search warrants are being filed to preserve any possible evidence. However, police are still relying on a great tip from the public, Swiatkiewicz said.

A GoFundMe page was created for Boughton’s family which raised around $21,000 in only 15 hours. Crime Stoppers of Minnesota announced a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the suspect.

Anyone with information on the vehicle or the shooting is asked to call police at 763-509-5178. The shooting remains under investigation.
    https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/...iding-suspect/

Update, there has been an arrest, but does anyone else find it strange there is no mention of the suspect's name??? WTF, journalists.

Tantrix, come back! Your conspiracy theory has been validated! First no details on what precipitated the shooting, and now no suspect name.

Chicago man arrested in fatal road rage shooting in Plymouth
    The man was arrested in the central Illinois city of Decatur and awaits extradition back to Minnesota on suspicion of second-degree murder.

By Paul Walsh Star Tribune SEPTEMBER 2, 2021 ? 3:33PM

A 33-year-old Chicago man has been arrested in Illinois in the fatal road rage shooting on Hwy. 169 in Plymouth, authorities said Thursday.

The suspect was jailed in Decatur, Ill., on suspicion of second-degree murder in the death of Jay Boughton, 56, who was shot July 6 while driving south on the highway. Although authorities identified the suspect during a news conference, the Star Tribune generally does not identify suspects before they are charged.

Plymouth Police Chief Erik Fadden said the man was arrested Aug. 24 and jailed in the central Illinois city of Decatur, where he remains until he can be extradited to Hennepin County.

As of Thursday afternoon, court records did not show whether the suspect had been charged, and Fadden declined to comment on when a criminal complaint would be filed. He said the man has a criminal history but did not offer further details.

Fadden declined to disclose how detectives tracked down the suspect and said the investigation remained "very active." Police did say the man was arrested without incident about 10:40 a.m.

"This was truly a needle in a haystack that our detectives, the public ? primarily our detectives ? they never stopped digging and working and knocking on doors and reviewing video after video after video," Fadden said.

"And finally, you get that little break every once in awhile, and it leads to something else, and you're off to that and knocking on more doors. It really was the hard work of our detectives that got us down to Illinois."

Fadden has previously said a traffic encounter between the two drivers "escalated quickly," and the shooter killed Boughton, of Crystal, over something possibly as minor as a lane change.

The chief preferred not to use the term "road rage" in describing what happened. "It was really just a senseless act that happened in a brief moment when two vehicles were next to each other. ? This isn't what I would ever classify as a 'road rage' or back and forth," Fadden said.

Boughton was shot in the head at 10 p.m. as he drove on Hwy. 169 near Rockford Road on the eastern edge of Plymouth. His vehicle then went through a fence and crashed into the parking lot of an apartment complex in the 3900 block of N. Lancaster Lane, where his 15-year-old son, Harrison, gave him CPR.

Traffic surveillance video in the moments leading up to the gunfire showed the shooter's SUV heading west on Interstate 694 near N. Snelling Avenue in Arden Hills before exiting onto southbound Hwy. 169, and then pulling up on the left of Boughton's vehicle and briefly pacing it before the shooting.

The suspect's vehicle, a late-model Chevy Suburban, was located July 23. Police initially did not say where the SUV was found or what led them to it. However, Fadden said that "locating that vehicle certainly provided information for our detectives to move in a direction and get where we are at today."

The chief also declined to specify whether the suspect owned the SUV or was connected to it in some other way.

He said tips are still welcome as the investigation continues beyond the more than 1,500 hours that members of law enforcement have put into finding the suspect.

Agencies involved in the arrest included officers from the Plymouth and Decatur police departments, and agents of the U.S. Marshals Service, "who did a wonderful job in safely getting a dangerous suspect into custody without any type of incident or any type of injury," Fadden said.

He said that Boughton's family was notified of the arrest on the day that it occurred.

"They were grateful," the chief said. "I would never use the word happy because there's nothing happy or great about this situation, but grateful and definitely a sense of relief from the family members that I spoke with personally on the phone. They were just appreciative that there is some sort of closure at this point."

Fadden said that informing the family about the arrest "was a bright moment in this last eight weeks. It's been a tough and tiring and exhausting eight weeks.

"It was nice to be able to have a good phone conversation with a family that has had nothing but bad news," he said.

A relative who has acted as a spokesman for the family at previous police news conferences did not immediately return messages for comment or release a statement.

"This doesn't do anything to bring Jay back, clearly," the chief said, "but I think it does help the family understand that they're not going to be wondering forever what happened or who's responsible for this."

https://www.startribune.com/chicago-...uth/600093221/
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

And he's already in trouble in jail.... nice photo of his neck.

The man awaiting trial in July's Highway 169 shooting ? in which a youth baseball coach was killed following a "traffic altercation" in the Plymouth area ? can only call his lawyers now.

The judge in the case, Nicole Engisch, has granted a request to restrict Jamal Smith's phone access, after he was accused of tampering with witnesses from jail.

According to court documents filed this past week, prosecutors argued that Smith, 33, has made a number of "problematic calls" while in pretrial detention, during which he allegedly asked someone to delete his Facebook account and advised witnesses to "no longer speak with law enforcement" or to "plead the fifth amendment."

Prosecutors said the calls were made at the jail in Macon County, Illinois ? where Smith, a Chicago resident, was apprehended in August ? as well as the Hennepin County jail, where he is currently being held.

The ruling notes that Smith, who has been "on notice" since September 16 that he is not permitted to have "direct or indirect" with witnesses, tried fighting the motion to cut his phone access, arguing that doing so is not within the court's power.

But the ruling argues that, "in exceptional cases," the court does have "limited but inherent" power to restrict mail or phone access in order to protect witnesses.

Under the judge's orders, Smith is now prohibited from calling anyone but his attorneys, while the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is authorized to use "all necessary measures" to ensure the order.

Smith was charged in September with second-degree murder in the July 6 death of Jay Broughton, who was gunned down during an incident on Highway 169 while driving his son home from a Little League game.

The killing spurred a search for the suspect as well as the vehicle he was in, a light-colored SUV. Smith was ultimately arrested in Decatur, Illinois, thanks partly to a Facebook Live video ? recorded prior to the shooting ? which allegedly shows him with a gun that matches the one used in the crime.

He's being held in Minneapolis on a $3.5 million bail.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota...ness-tampering
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

Seems like this is his FB (some of the comments seem to connect him)

https://www.facebook.com/jamaljmilli.smith

Quote Originally Posted by jennafyre View Post
    Seems like this is his FB (some of the comments seem to connect him)

https://www.facebook.com/jamaljmilli.smith
    Ya think?

Interesting... one of the articles said that part of the evidence against him includes a photo of a gun he posted on FB. I didn't see any guns on his page, but I admit I didn't look too hard. He's too... chaotic.

Ahmma tell yew wut... I'm not an Internet Trashtalker anyway, but I wouldn't be leaving these nasty comments on the FB page of a guy who responds to perceived insults with murder. The way our crazy court system is going, they're liable to release this guy for some ridiculous reason or another.

Erik J
    Def will be calling you Lindsay inside. Big boys having you grab your ankles in the booty house
    Reply24w

Ryan R
    What makes a person shoot a random person on the highway with their kid in the car?
    Reply22w

David B
    Lack of discipline as a child maybe??
    Reply22w

Mary C
    no father figure and growing up in a dangerous area.
    Reply22w

Miguel G
    Enjoy Stillwater and don?t take the chocolate on the bed . Say hi to Chauvin y?all sit down and work out your differences!
    Reply17w
    AND....

Brent A
    It turns out mama did raise a fool.
    Reply24w

Jeanine P
    worse than a fool.
    Reply22w

James H
    Piece of 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩
    Reply24w

Hector O
    bruh... you literally posted a video with a shit ton of evidence before you killed someone. i hope your MAMA did a better job raising your siblings
    Reply23w

Miguel G
    Raised a retard
    Reply17w

Mary C
    no just a killer
    Reply22w

Ryan P
    Those inmates will love it! Have fun loser
    Reply24w

I read about the incriminating video comment too and that's actually what made me wonder if it was the correct FB or not? Like...maybe SM investigators like me all made the same mistake and are thinking this is the person when it's not? There are a ton of Jamal Smith's in Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by jennafyre View Post
    I read about the incriminating video comment too and that's actually what made me wonder if it was the correct FB or not? Like...maybe SM investigators like me all made the same mistake and are thinking this is the person when it's not? There are a ton of Jamal Smith's in Illinois.
    Well this guy hasn't used his account since Nov 2018 so this can't be the account where he posted the video right before he did it, I'm assuming he had another account. I can't really tell if this is him from the pictures, none of the FB pictures are clearly him, but they look like they could be, and the rest of the internet seems convinced so.... :shrug:

https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/li...l-smith-trial/

Jamal Smith found guilty on all 3 charges, including murder, in fatal Hwy 169 shooting
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-27-2022 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Ya think?

Interesting... one of the articles said that part of the evidence against him includes a photo of a gun he posted on FB. I didn't see any guns on his page, but I admit I didn't look too hard. He's too... chaotic.

Ahmma tell yew wut... I'm not an Internet Trashtalker anyway, but I wouldn't be leaving these nasty comments on the FB page of a guy who responds to perceived insults with murder. The way our crazy court system is going, they're liable to release this guy for some ridiculous reason or another.

AND....
    They're most certainly not racist...

I can't believe that he went to trial. There wasn't a doubt to his guilt.

Thread Information