Thread: 4 dead (Isiah Crawford, 7), (Bridish Crawford, 27), (Antonio Ramon, 30), (Sophie Wilson, 14) after family tubing on Dan River goes over dam in Rockingham County

4 dead (Isiah Crawford, 7), (Bridish Crawford, 27), (Antonio Ramon, 30), (Sophie Wilson, 14) after family tubing on Dan River goes over dam in Rockingham County

https://www.wric.com/news/u-s-world/...ingham-county/

EDEN, N.C, (WGHP) ' Rockingham County officials have identified the names of the family members who went over the Duke Energy dam while tubing on the Dan River.

Nine family members went tubing on the Dan River around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday night, just before dark. At some point, the tubes went over a Duke Energy dam in Eden.

Four people were rescued, three died and their bodies were recovered from the river, and two are still missing.

The bodies recovered were those of Bridish Crawford, 27, of Eden, Antonio Ramon, 30, of Eden, and Sophie Wilson, 14, of La Porte, Indiana.

Teresa Villino, 30, of Eden, and Isiah Crawford, 7, of Eden, are still missing.

Those rescued were Rueben Villino, 30, of Eden, Eric Villino, 14, of Eden, Irene Villino, 18, of Eden, and Karlos Villino, 14, of La Porte, Indiana.

Rockingham County Emergency Services Director Rodney Cates says he believes the people on the tubes didn't have a way to call for help, which caused the delay in rescue efforts.

Shortly after 3 p.m. Thursday, a Duke Energy employee spotted four of the nine people at the bottom of the dam and called for rescue services. Duke Energy says the employee was just doing the right thing and trying to get help for the individuals.

The Duke Energy dam is about an eight foot drop, according to Rockingham County Sheriff Sam Page.

Duke Energy reports that it is not a hydroelectric dam and does not have turbines. It's a smaller impoundment dam.

Cates does not know if any of the victims were wearing life jackets, and they are working to find out if the tubes were rented or owned by the family.

Crews will continue to search for the two missing people on Friday and will search Saturday as well, but will not use aircraft in the search on Saturday.

Last edited by up2trouble; 06-19-2021 at 12:52 PM.

Were these people not familiar enough with the river to know that there's a dam?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Were these people not familiar enough with the river to know that there's a dam?!
    Probably not, their FBs said they lived in Indiana. I'm guessing a family vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by up2trouble View Post
    Probably not, their FBs said they lived in Indiana. I'm guessing a family vacation.
    Oh duh! I can't read!
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I thought I had read it wrong, but it's not wrong. The dam is only 8 feet high. That doesn't strike me as a fall that would kill someone in the water and with a tube. What am I missing here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I thought I had read it wrong, but it's not wrong. The dam is only 8 feet high. That doesn't strike me as a fall that would kill someone in the water and with a tube. What am I missing here?
    I think you can get sucked in at the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Not sure if they are talking about the same dam... but the principle applies.

Dan River warning: 'It's A Drowning Machine' | The area is called a 'drowning machine' because it's a low-head dam; when water spills over the top of the dam, it creates a recirculating current underneath the water. Swimmers can get trapped in the current if they get too close and the current will keep pushing them underwater, often causing people to drown.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KlDkkfMDMM
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I had the same question.

And if it creates a recirculating current, how could some survive and some not?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I had the same question.

And if it creates a recirculating current, how could some survive and some not?
    Stronger swimmers? Managed to hang on to tubes? Dumb luck?
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Not sure if they are talking about the same dam... but the principle applies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KlDkkfMDMM
    This answers my question. I guess I was thinking that they died from blunt force trauma instead of drowning. This makes sense.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Body of Teresa Villano, last victim in June tubing accident in N.C., recovered from Dan River

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...snu-story.html

The last victim in a tubing accident involving nine family members on the Dan River in North Carolina has been found, ending a 19-day search, authorities confirmed Monday.

The body of Teresa Villano, 35, was found at around 4 p.m. Monday afternoon, the Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement. She was six months pregnant.

“Ms. Villano’s next of kin have been notified,” the sheriff’s office said.

Villano was the last person still missing after the group of family members went tubing down the Dan River in Eden, North Carolina, on June 16.

“Around nightfall, the nine individuals, whose tubes were all connected together, went over a dam located on the Dan River near the Duke Energy Power Plant in Eden,” the sheriff’s original statement said.

Four of the family members were rescued the next day after a Duke Energy employee spotted them in the river, and three more deceased were found soon afterward.

Crews rescued Rueben Villano, 35, and his children Irene, 18; and Eric, 14, along with his nephew Karlos Villano, 14, according to the sheriff’s office. All four were treated at a local hospital for their injuries.

The same day, rescuers found the bodies of Rueben Villano’s partner Bridish Crawford, 27; and Teresa’s partner Antonio Ramon, 30, along with Teresa’s niece, Sophie Wilson, 14. The body of Bridish Crawford’s son Isiah, 7, was found days later. Teresa was Rueben’s twin sister.

Villano was the last one still missing after authorities located the body of 7-year-old Isiah Crawford, Bridish Crawford’s son, on June 20.

The tubers had dropped over an 8-foot dam near the Duke Energy Steam Station and into the strong current churning the 3-foot-deep water at the base, a phenomenon dubbed by boating experts as a “drowning machine,” in which the hydraulic force at the base of a low-head dam can trap swimmers underwater in a reverse rolling cycle, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

“They didn’t know what it was,” Villano’s sister Angelica Villano of La Porte, Indiana, told the Richmond Times-Dispatch, adding that the rescued family members said they had thought the ripples in the water below the dam were small rapids.

Local river experts said the accident the worst they can remember, the Richmond Times-Dispatch said.

Duke Energy sued by family that lost five in tubing accident

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ent/ar-AAO4HbP

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) — A family that lost five members in a tubing accident on a North Carolina river is suing Duke Energy, saying the utility failed to adequately warn people that its dam poses life-threatening risks.

Their lawsuit, filed in Durham County in August, specifically names Duke Energy Carolinas, LLC.

“Despite knowing of the danger posed by the dam, Duke Energy failed to use barricades, barriers, buoys and other safety devices to prevent boaters from going over the submerged dam and being caught in the recirculating currents,” the lawsuit says.

Duke Energy spokesman Dave Scanzoni said in a statement Friday that the utility would respond in detail in court.

Nine relatives from Eden, North Carolina, and LaPorte, Indiana, were floating down the Dan River in inflatable tubes on June 16 when they went over the 8-foot (2.4-meter) dam. The survivors were spotted the day after the accident by a Duke Energy employee, who called 911.

Emergency crews rescued Ruben Villano, 35, and his children Irene, 18; and Eric, 14, along with his nephew Karlos Villano, 14, according to the Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office. All four were treated at a local hospital for their injuries. Irene Villano said at a news conference on Thursday that she used a finger and a foot to hang onto spaces in the dam and her family members hung onto her.

On the same day, rescuers found the bodies of Ruben Villano’s partner Bridish Crawford, 27; and Antonio Roman, 30, along with Sophie Wilson, 14, the sheriff’s office said. The body of Bridish Crawford’s son Isiah, 7, was found days later. Searchers found the body of Teresa Villano, 35, on July 5. News outlets reported Teresa Villano was pregnant when she drowned.

“It's kind of miserable to even be here," survivor Irene Villano told reporters at a news conference on Thursday. “You're with these people all the time, and you're always around them and then, they're just not here anymore. Sometimes, you can't even explain the feeling. It's been awful.”

Indiana-based attorney Kenneth Allen said the family wouldn't have gone tubing had they known they would come upon the dam.

“We need the owners of these dams to either eliminate them, fix them or, at the very least, protect recreational users from the deadly hazards they pose,” Allen said at the news conference.

That sounds terrifying

Thread Information