Thread: A 12-year-old boy and 14-year-old girl broke into a home, found weapons and opened fire on deputies, sheriff says

A 12-year-old boy and 14-year-old girl broke into a home, found weapons and opened fire on deputies, sheriff says

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/02/us/fl...een/index.html

Deputies in Volusia County, Florida, shot a 14-year-old girl on Tuesday night after she and a 12-year-old boy broke into a home, found multiple guns inside and then opened fire on deputies, according to Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood.

The girl was shot in the abdomen and the arm and is fighting for her life in the hospital, while the boy surrendered and was not injured, Chitwood said.

"I don't know what to say. Where have we gone wrong that a 12-year-old and 14-year-old think it's okay to take on law enforcement?" he said.

According to Chitwood, the children ran away from their group home at Florida United Methodist Children's Home (FUMCH) around 5 p.m. Tuesday and evaded police for hours. At about 7:30 p.m., a passerby told deputies he heard glass breaking at a home nearby, and deputies found there had been a forced entry into the home, according to the sheriff's office.

Deputes contacted the homeowner, who said that nobody should be home and that there was a handgun, pump shotgun and an AK-47 inside, as well as a large amount of ammunition, the sheriff's office said.

As deputies surrounded the home and tried to establish a rapport with the boy and girl, they were met with gunfire, the sheriff said. The sheriff's office said the children fired at deputies on four separate occasions over about 35 minutes.

At one point, the 14-year-old girl emerged from the home and threatened to kill Sgt. Donnie Maxwell, Chitwood said.

"We try to deescalate, we throw a cell phone into the house to try to talk to them. The 14-year-old comes out of the garage with a pump shotgun, levels it at deputies, and despite warnings to drop it, she walks back into the garage. She comes back a second time, and that's when deputies open fire," said Chitwood.

He said officers took multiple rounds of gunfire before "they were left with no other choice but to return fire." The officers had nowhere to hide but behind trees, he said.

After the girl was shot, the boy, who had been armed with an AK-47, surrendered to deputies, according to the sheriff's office.

At least eight deputies were involved in the incident, the sheriff's office said, and body-camera footage is expected to released on Wednesday.

In his press conference, Chitwood praised his officers for their restraint in the face of waves of gunfire.

"Deputies did everything they could tonight to de-escalate, and they almost lost their lives to a 12-year-old and a 14-year-old," he said. "If it wasn't for their training and their supervision... somebody would have ended up dead."

He also denounced the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice in particularly harsh terms, calling the department a "failure" and a "fraud." The sheriff's office said it handled close to 300 calls at the FUMCH in 2020.

"The 14-year-old was arrested for stealing dogs, for larceny, she then got teen court, and was sentenced to a halfway house in Flagler County," he said. "She burned that halfway house down on April 10 of 2021 and the Department of Juvenile Justice placed her in Florida United Methodist Children's Home."

The FUMCH did not respond to a request for comment. The Department of Juvenile Justice did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating the officers' use of force at the request of the Volusia County Sheriff's Office, according to FDLE spokeswoman Gretl Plessinger. The FDLE will examine the facts of what happened, develop a time line and then provide information to the state attorney, who will make a determination about whether the use of force was justified, she said.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Wednesday his office is looking into the incident.

"Obviously, it is a really problematic situation to have that," he said.
    That girl is BAD! It's awful, but I did laugh about the fact that she burned the halfway house down. I'm thinking she needs much more than a halfway house!

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Their names are provided here: https://www.clickorlando.com/news/lo...olusia-county/

VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. ? Two foster children broke into a Volusia County home, Tuesday night, then used guns they found inside the residence -- including an AK-47 -- to repeatedly fire at deputies for about 30 minutes, according to sheriff?s officials.

The Volusia County Sheriff?s Office said 12-year-old Travis O?Brien and 14-year-old Nicole Jackson face felony charges of attempted first-degree murder of law enforcement officers and armed burglary.

Deputies said they were in the area of 1050 Enterprise Osteen Road looking for the girl and boy, who has diabetes, after they ran away from Florida United Methodist Children?s Home, a foster home.

?So the deputies in the Deltona area go out looking for this 12-year-old and this 14-year-old because the 12-year-old is insulin-dependent and the 12-year-old, if he doesn?t get his medication within four hours, it?s going to be a critical medical emergency,? Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood said.

Deputies were near a trail when a resident approached and said glass was heard shattering at a nearby home. When deputies went to that residence, they noticed obvious signs of forced entry.

?And the amazing thing is they don?t do what I would have done. I would have walked in because I have an eyewitness telling me two juveniles just forced their way into the home,? Chitwood said. ?They take a step back and contact the homeowner and say, ?Should anybody have access to your home?? as resources are pouring in to surround the property.?

The homeowner had recently left and said no one should be at the residence but that there was an AK-47, a pump shotgun, a handgun and 200 rounds of ammunition inside, records show.

Deputies said the children grabbed the guns and opened fire at deputies at about 8:30 p.m. They also used baseball bats to destroy furniture, toilets and a tub, according to authorities.
    Last edited by Bewitchingstorm; 06-02-2021 at 09:21 AM.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Talk about a bad seed. I mean, I feel badly for what that girl must have gone through in order to act out like that, but she seemed to refuse every chance for help. It would be one thing if the system ignored her, but it seems like they were doing everything they could to give her a chance.

Seems like it's suicide by cop, sadly. Hopefully she makes it and turns her life around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.

https://www.wesh.com/article/documen...uties/36636442

Documents reveal troubled pasts for both 12-year-old, 14-year-old involved in shootout with Volusia deputies

Not to sound harsh, but I'm going to say it:

By all means. Make abortion illegal. Because this is only the tip of the iceberg if you do. These kids were FAILED by their families and then again by a system that doesn't have the resources to deal with this kind of mental illness in young children.

"Save the fetus, abandon the child".
    ^^^^^^THIS is the thought process of those that have zero thought process.

And this is only TWO children out of HOW MANY THOUSANDS?! That are currently on the verge because we don't have the resources in mental health in this country to even BEGIN to try to help. It's all about "hold them until they age out and then let them go".
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 06-05-2021 at 06:45 PM.
    Oh well, back to gum.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post

By all means. Make abortion illegal. Because this is only the tip of the iceberg if you do. These kids were FAILED by their families and then again by a system that doesn't have the resources to deal with this kind of mental illness in young children.

And this is only TWO children out of HOW MANY THOUSANDS?! That are currently on the verge because we don't have the resources in mental health in this country to even BEGIN to try to help. It's all about "hold them until they age out and then let them go".
    This. What do they think is going to happen when you force people who don't want, or can't afford children to have them?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post

Yep! It boggles my mind....

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

https://www.wesh.com/article/prosecu...uties/36753756

14-year-old to be charged as adult, 12-year-old as juvenile in shootout with Volusia deputies

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    https://www.wesh.com/article/prosecu...uties/36753756

14-year-old to be charged as adult, 12-year-old as juvenile in shootout with Volusia deputies
    This sounds about fair. She was obviously the ring leader and the shit she's pulled over and over again warrants being charged as an adult. It's just a shame that she didn't accept the help when it was given to her because now jail is going to make her even worse.
    Oh well, back to gum.

https://www.wesh.com/article/investi...doing/37625079

Volusia County Sheriffs deputies who returned fire after two children allegedly shot at them have been cleared in a use of force investigation.

"We did everything humanly possible to make this end peaceably and it just didn't," said Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood.

Chitwood says on June 1, his deputies were forced to shoot at children: 14-year-old Nicole Jackson and a 12-year-old boy, after the pair ran away from a children's home, broke into a house and allegedly used weapons they found inside against responding deputies. The deputies were not hurt, but the 14-year-old was wounded. She has since recovered.

"That takes a toll on you mentally. Everybody has empathy in their soul. It's like, 'oh my god, I'm shooting at somebody, my daughter or my son's age,'" Chitwood said.

Eight deputies returned fire. Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) did a use of force investigation and turned over their findings to the state attorney's office.

In a letter released this week clearing the deputies, State Attorney R.J. Larizza wrote in part,

"Based on a review of the investigation and the information provided, no further action is warranted by this office."

The children are facing serious charges including attempted murder of law enforcement officers. The 12-year-old is charged as a juvenile, but 14-year-old Jackson is charged as an adult. Sheriff Chitwood says Jackson sent a letter.

"The young lady did write an apology letter to us, that she was sorry for shooting at us and she hopes the deputies can find it in their heart to forgive her," Chitwood said.

Thread Information