Thread: Samuel Joseph Martinez (23) missing from Kauai, HI since May 25, 2021

Samuel Joseph Martinez (23) missing from Kauai, HI since May 25, 2021

https://www.sfgate.com/hawaii/articl...g-16213839.php

A college student from Nebraska has gone missing while on a trip to Hawaii.

Samuel Joseph Martinez, a 23-year-old senior at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, was reported missing after he did not arrive back home on May 25 as expected.

According to police in Kauai, Martinez arrived on May 12 and had a number of permits to camp around the island. Martinez's father, Ted Martinez, told the Lincoln Journal Star they last heard from him shortly after he landed; he told his family he got a ride to a grocery store and was planning on heading to his mountain campsite afterward.

"According to a preliminary report, flight records and safe travel records indicate that Martinez did indeed land on Kauaʿi on May 12 and was screened for entry onto the island at the Līhuʿe Airport," the Kauai Police Department wrote on Facebook. "Further investigation revealed that Martinez acquired eight separate permits to camp at different locations around the island, including Kōkeʿe State Park and the Kalalau Trail."

After Martinez failed to arrive for his connecting flight home at LAX Tuesday, his family filed a missing persons report. Repeated attempts to get in touch with him have failed, although his family told local media they hope he is just out of cell range.

Martinez is 6 feet tall, 180 pounds and has brown hair and eyes. Anyone with information regarding his whereabouts is asked to contact the Kauai Police Department at 808-241-1711.

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/par...list-to-visit/

The search for a missing 23-year-old man from Nebraska continues on Kauai, as county and state officials make air and land searches. Police say the missing man, Samuel Martinez, flew to Kauai on May 12 and was supposed to return on May 25, but allegedly missed his flight. Family tells KHON2 they believe his last known location was Kokee State Park.

The parents of Samuel say their son was very interested in exploring Kauai for the first time. He had as many as eight campsite reservations. According to his parents, police told them another hiker saw Samuel at a campsite at Kokee State Park on May 13.

“Hiker said that Samuel told him he had hitched a ride so far and then hiked up the rest way and that’s where he was going to be camping,” said his mother, Cherie Martinez.

They were not surprised that he wanted to go hiking and camping by himself as Samuel enjoys the outdoors. They also believe Samuel intended to keep friends and family in the loop.

“And that did not happen and so on the thirteenth, when we had no contact with him, we, as mother and father, obviously worried, slightly, and then it built until it overflowed (on May 26) when he never showed up and made his flight home,” said his father Ted Martinez.

Parents say Samuel is a giving and gracious young man who volunteers at a high school. He’s a certified nursing assistant at a rehabilitation senior citizen center with plans to graduate this year from the University of Nebraska in microbiology. The family is holding on to hope and is grateful for those who are searching for Samuel.
    The hitching rides thing concerns me.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    If he's getting a degree in microbiology, he's one smart cookie, too.

I hope he's found safe, and soon.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Now go fuck yourself.

It's so odd to me for someone to go travel alone. I mean, I know people do it. It's just never something that I ever wanted to do, so I just don't get it.

Buddy system, peeps!

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    It's so odd to me for someone to go travel alone. I mean, I know people do it. It's just never something that I ever wanted to do, so I just don't get it.

Buddy system, peeps!
    If he's in to Microbiology, then the location and going solo makes some kind of sense. Unless your travel buddy like that kind of thing, it would be super boring for them. Not to mention that during the pandemic there are lots of people that are still too nervous to fly. He may have had trouble finding someone to go with him and since its cheap right now he figured he should take advantage.

I travelled alone to NOLO for Crimecon and ended up doing more in the city than at the con itself. It wasn't too strange for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

https://www.thegardenisland.com/2021...earch-renewed/

Backpack of missing Nebraska man found

New developments in the case of a missing Nebraska man have unfolded on Kaua‘i.

The backpack of Samuel Martinez, 23, of Lincoln, Nebraska, was discovered Oct. 13 by a local hunter in Koke‘e, father Ted Martinez confirmed Saturday.

The backpack contained most of Samuel’s inventory, including medical prescriptions, a like-new tent and clean clothing.

Ted Martinez said investigators believe Samuel stashed his gear in the brush by a camp on the second or third day of his trip to get out of the rain, to take a shorter day-hike without the large bag or go to the Koke‘e Lodge.

“The immediate area where it was located was thoroughly searched by Kaua‘i police and Kaua‘i search-and-rescue personnel on Friday, with negative results and no further sign of him,” the Kaua‘i Police Department said in a Saturday statement. “With no other leads, there’s no active search occurring at this time.”
    Between May 30 and June 10, intensive land and air searches primarily focused on the state parks. During this initial search, KPD retained overall incident command with Kaua‘i Fire Department providing tactical support, using drone, helicopters and ground operations to different degrees.

“We believe he’s with God,” Ted Martinez said Saturday morning. “We feel the support of the Kaua‘i people from here. People always send their thoughts and prayers.”

Volunteer search-and-rescue operations have also covered certain areas of the state parks, including local hikers and hunters. Individuals on-island have continued searching throughout the summer. There has been no positive sighting of Martinez since May 14.

This isn't going to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

No, it's definitely not going to end well. It seems the parents are being realistic about it, my heart breaks for them. This is something I worry about all the time. My daughter was an adventurer and a traveler from a young age (she still is!). She spent a year in Japan when she was 17yo, has backpacked across Europe, Asia, and South America alone many times. She's 41yo now and I'm still a nervous wreck when she travels. She's spending a month alone in Spain as we speak, decompressing from a high stress career event. She knows I worry so we Life360, not that it would prevent anything from happening, but if.... ugh, nevermind. Yeah, this is a parent's worse nightmare. I just hope they find him.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Thread Information