Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Makiyah Bryant (16) killed by Columbus Police

Makiyah Bryant (16) killed by Columbus Police

https://wgnradio.com/news/1-dead-in-...s-young-woman/

. COLUMBUS, Ohio (NewsNation Now) ? Columbus Police said one person was killed in an officer-involved shooting on the east side of the city Tuesday afternoon.

One person was initially taken to Mount Carmel East hospital in critical condition, according to Columbus Police, and was pronounced dead at 5:21 p.m.

Family members on the scene identified the person killed as 16-year-old Makiyah Bryant.

Police said the initial call for a stabbing was received at approximately 4:30 p.m., with the shots fired call coming in at 4:45 p.m.

Columbus Police confirmed that it has requested the state?s Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) respond to the scene. BCI is often tasked with investigating shootings involving police officers.

Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther previously identified the victim as a young woman in a tweet Tuesday evening.

Ben Crump, who represented the Floyd family in their civil case against the city of Minneapolis, tweeted about the shooting saying ?As we breathed a collective sigh of relief today, a community in Columbus felt the sting of another police shooting.?

As we breathed a collective sigh of relief today, a community in Columbus felt the sting of another police shooting as @ColumbusPolice killed an unarmed 15yo Black girl named Makiyah Bryant. Another child lost! Another hashtag. ✊🏾🙏🏾#JusticeForMakiyahBryant https://t.co/9ssR5gfqm5

? Ben Crump (@AttorneyCrump) April 21, 2021
    A crowd had gathered Tuesday night at the scene on Legion Lane, which police had partially blocked off to traffic. Others gathered at the city?s police headquarters to protest, a week after officers pepper-sprayed a group that tried to enter the headquarters over the police killing of a man who had a gun in a hospital emergency room.

The shooting happened about 25 minutes before a judge read the verdict convicting former Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin of murder and manslaughter in the killing of Floyd.

Kimberly Shepherd, 50, who has lived in the neighborhood for 17 years, said she knew the victim.

?The neighborhood has definitely went through its changes, but nothing like this,? Shepherd said of the shooting. ?But this is the worst thing that has ever happened out here and unfortunately it is at the hands of police.?

Shepherd and her neighbor Jayme Jones, 51, had celebrated the guilty verdict of Chauvin. But things changed quickly, she said.

?We were happy about the verdict. But you couldn?t even enjoy that,? Shepherd said. ?Because as you?re getting one phone call that he was guilty, I?m getting the next phone call that this is happening in my neighborhood.?

Here we go again.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-new...lls-teen-girl/

COLUMBUS (WCMH) – Columbus Police are still on the scene on the southeast side of the city where a Columbus Police Officer shot and killed a 16-year-old girl Tuesday afternoon.

Protesters were also at the scene this afternoon, some who lived in the neighborhood and others who traveled to the 3100 block of Legion Lane upon hearing what happened.

The teen was identified by family as Makiyah Bryant.

Family identifies 16-year-old girl killed in east Columbus police shooting
    Many of those at the scene pointed out that the fatal shooting of Bryant came within minutes of the guilty verdict in the Derek Chauvin case. They also talked about why they were frustrated with police.

At one point, some protesters got close to the crime scene tape, yelling at the officers while others were talking and looking for answers.

One Columbus Police officer told the crowd to wait for the facts to come out.

A woman who identified herself as Bryant’s aunt, Hazel Bryant, said Makiyah was an extremely loving child.

“I’m just shocked,” Hazel Bryant said. “I just don’t even know what to say. It’s like an out of body experience.”

One of the residents in the neighborhood, Ira Graham III, described what he saw at the scene.

“I ran out and I see a young lady on her back shot and police were giving CPR,” Graham said. “I know she was shot four times because I heard the gunshot and the grandmother was out there hollering and screaming, very upset, saying they didn’t have to shoot her, they didn’t have to shoot her.”

The investigation into the shooting is being conducted by the state’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation.
    https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-new...east-columbus/

COLUMBUS (WCMH) — Body camera footage released by Columbus Police shows the moment an officer opened fire on a 16-year-old girls Tuesday in east Columbus, killing her.

During an evening press conference Tuesday, Interim Chief of Police Michael Woods said the video shows the officer acted to save the live of another young girl.

Woods said the incident began at approximately 4:32 p.m. when 911 received a call about a group of women trying to stab the caller and “put their hands on them” on the Woods said dispatchers tried to get information about weapons, but didn’t get that information.

The video shows the officer arriving at the scene as a fight between an undetermined number of people is taking place. Woods said a female with a knife attempts to stab one person who is on the ground, followed by a second who is pushed up against a vehicle. It is when the female goes to the second person against the car that the officer fires his weapon four times.

The officer then provides medical aid to the girl who was shot.

Woods said the department released the footage as quickly as it could in an effort to be transparent with the public.

Woods did not identify the victim, but family said she was 16-year-old Makiyah Bryant. She was transported to Mount Carmel East, where she was pronounced dead at 5:21 p.m.

“We know, based on this footage, the officer took action to protect another young girl in our community, but a family is grieving tonight and this young 15-year-old girl will never be coming home,” Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther said during the press briefing.

Woods said the department was very limited in what information it could release.

“This is still very new and still gathering information that we can gather, but most of that information will be done by BCI,” he said. “We want to be sure that independent review from them, that we stay out of their way, and we provide the information that they request from us.”

Woods did not release the name of the officer, but said he is off the streets.

How much snow is expected in Columbus? Tracking Wednesday wintry weather
    The state’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) is conducting the investigation into the shooting.

Ginther issued a tweet early Tuesday evening.

And now Body cam footage from the Shooting has been released. Damn The City of Columbus was originally preparing for the Derek Chauvin Protests but thats now overshadowed by the Makiyah Bryant death protests.

I don't feel sorry for a 16 year old death if she was trying to hurt (and possibly murder) someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

https://6abc.com/ohio-police-officer...ials/10532816/

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The fatal shooting of a knife-wielding Black teenage girl by police in Columbus, Ohio, came within minutes of the verdict in George Floyd's killing - causing outrage by some in the community over the continued police use of lethal force.

Officials with the Columbus Division of Police released footage of the shooting Tuesday night just hours after it happened, a departure from protocol as the force faces immense scrutiny from the public following a series of recent high-profile police killings that have led to clashes.

The 10-second clip begins with the officer getting out of his car at a house where police had been dispatched after someone called 911 saying they were being physically threatened, Interim Police Chief Michael Woods said at the news conference. The officer takes a few steps toward a group of people in the driveway when the girl starts swinging a knife wildly at another girl or woman, who falls backward. The officer shouts several times to get down.

The girl with the knife then charges at another girl or woman who is pinned against a car.

From a few feet away, with people on either side of him, the officer fires four shots, and the teen slumps to the ground. A black-handled blade similar to a kitchen knife or steak knife lies on the sidewalk next to her.

A man immediately yells at the officer, "You didn't have to shoot her! She's just a kid, man!"

The officer responds, "She had a knife. She just went at her."

The race of the officer wasn't clear.

The girl was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead, police said. It remains unclear if anyone else was injured. Police did not identify the girl or her age Tuesday. One family member said she was 15, while another said she was 16.

Woods said state law allows police to use deadly force to protect themselves or others, and investigators will determine whether this shooting was such an instance.

Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther mourned the loss of the young victim but defended the officer's use of deadly force.

"We know based on this footage the officer took action to protect another young girl in our community," he told reporters.

The shooting happened about 25 minutes before a judge read the verdict convicting former Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin of murder and manslaughter in the killing of Floyd. It also took place less than 5 miles from where the funeral for Andre Hill, who was killed by another Columbus police officer in December, was held earlier this year. The officer in Hill's case, Adam Coy, a 19-year veteran of the force, is now facing trial for murder, with the next hearing scheduled for April 28.

Less than three weeks before Hill was killed, a Franklin County Sheriff's deputy fatally shot 23-year-old Casey Goodson Jr. in Columbus. The case remains under federal investigation.

Last week, Columbus police shot and killed a man who was in a hospital emergency room with a gun on him. Officials are continuing an investigation into that shooting.

Kimberly Shepherd, 50, who has lived in the neighborhood where Tuesday's shooting took place for 17 years, said she knew the teenage victim.

"The neighborhood has definitely went through its changes, but nothing like this," Shepherd said of the shooting. "This is the worst thing that has ever happened out here and unfortunately it is at the hands of police."

Shepherd and her neighbor Jayme Jones, 51, had celebrated the guilty verdict of Chauvin. But things changed quickly, she said.

"We were happy about the verdict. But you couldn't even enjoy that," Shepherd said. "Because as you're getting one phone call that he was guilty, I'm getting the next phone call that this is happening in my neighborhood."

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    I don't feel sorry for a 16 year old death if she was trying to hurt (and possibly murder) someone else.
    Yeah, I watched the body cam video and it shows her going after one girl who falls while the cop is telling her to stop and then she turns to go after another girl that's pinned against a car while the cop is yelling "GET DOWN" over and over again. She had a knife and she wasn't stopping. She was actively trying to stab people. In this case, I don't think they had any other choice.

I don't know the circumstances leading up to this, if she was being assaulted and defending herself but once the cops got there she should have put the knife down and gotten on the ground to let them handle it. However the footage looks like she was the actual aggressor and running after people who were trying to get away from her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Yeah, I watched the body cam video and it shows her going after one girl who falls while the cop is telling her to stop and then she turns to go after another girl that's pinned against a car while the cop is yelling "GET DOWN" over and over again. She had a knife and she wasn't stopping. She was actively trying to stab people. In this case, I don't think they had any other choice.

I don't know the circumstances leading up to this, if she was being assaulted and defending herself but once the cops got there she should have put the knife down and gotten on the ground to let them handle it. However the footage looks like she was the actual aggressor and running after people who were trying to get away from her.
    This. People need to stop jumping on all cases where someone is shot by cops and comparing it to those like George Floyd's. It will just give the idiots a reason to dismiss the claims that there are unjustified shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

This. People need to stop jumping on all cases where someone is shot by cops and comparing it to those like George Floyd's. It will just give the idiots a reason to dismiss the claims that there are unjustified shootings.
    Exactly. There are sadly plenty of cases where the cops were completely unjustified. Those are the cases to focus on. Although this case is sad, I can't see where this wouldn't be considered within protocol. If he hadn't shot her and she ended up stabbing someone and killing them, people would be outraged that he did nothing to stop it. Standing there holding a knife, yeah. Do what you can to get them to drop it and take them safely in to custody. However actively attacking people with a knife and not following orders is a completely different story. Just sad all around because she was so young.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/makhia-...-protests/#app

Update the accuse officer name in this police shooting is Nicholas Reardon.

. Columbus police released more bodycam video Wednesday of the fatal shooting of Black teen Ma'Khia Bryant the day before. Protesters took to the streets of the Ohio capital for the second straight day and night.

Demonstrators gathered in the afternoon and didn't thin out until late Wednesday night, reports CBS Columbus affiliate WBNS-TV. Hundreds marched past or stopped at the Statehouse, the Ohio Supreme Court and police headquarters among other spots, the station said.

Bryant, 16, was shot by officer Nicholas Reardon, officials said Wednesday.

Police initially released some body camera footage of the shooting Tuesday night. They made the additional footage public along with two 911 calls in a press conference on Wednesday, citing "the public's need, desire and expectation to have transparency."

Interim police chief Michael Woods said Wednesday that dispatchers first received a call for help at 4:32 p.m. On the call, a woman told officers that people were trying to fight and stab her and others, according to an audio recording played during the press conference. A second 911 caller also asked police to respond to the scene, but the call ended quickly after the person realized police had just arrived.

Officers arrived on the scene at 4:44 p.m., Woods said. A slowed-down version of body camera footage appears to show Bryant attacking two other people, lunging at one with something in her hand, just after an officer arrived. The officer, identified by Woods as Reardon, fired his weapon several times while Bryant and another girl were struggling against the side of a parked car. A knife could be seen next to Bryant's body after the shooting.

It was unclear what led to the altercation, which was already in progress when the officers arrived.

Bryant's family told WBNS-TV that Bryant was the one who called the police for help, saying people were fighting outside her house. Woods declined to comment on who called 911.

Woods said the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation is investigating the shooting. When the agency has finished its investigation, "the divisional police will conduct an administrative review of the actions of this officer and all officers at the scene," Woods said.

The officer who killed Bryant will be "taken off the street" while the shooting is investigated, Woods said. He also said a decision on whether the officer violated any policy will come after the criminal investigation is complete and sent to a grand jury.

"It's a tragedy. There's no other way to say it," Woods said. "It's a 16-year-old girl. I'm a father, her family is grieving. Regardless of the circumstances associated with this, a teenage girl lost her life yesterday."

Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther called the shooting a "horrible, heartbreaking situation" and said, "We know from this footage that the officer took action to protect another young girl in the community."

Woods said "deadly force can be used to protect yourself or (for) the protection of a third person. ... Whether this complies with that will be part of that investigation."

"We think it's critically important to share as much information as possible, as quickly as possible," Ginther said. "So, we'll continue to share footage, other information in the hours and days ahead."

The mayor also asked anybody with more information on what happened prior to the shooting "to share that information with the appropriate authorities."

Bryant's mother, Paula Bryant, told WBNS she's "very upset. I'm hurt. I want answers."

"My daughter dispatched Columbus police for protection, not to be a homicide today," Paula said with tears in her eyes.

Ma'Khia was in foster care, she said.

Director of Public Safety Ned Pettus Jr. said Wednesday that he understands the outrage Bryant's family is feeling. "A teenage girl is dead and she is dead at the hands of a police officer," Pettus said. "Under any circumstances, that is a horrendous tragedy."

But Pettus cautioned that "the video shows that there is more to this. It requires us to pause, take a close look at the sequence of events."

"We have to ask ourselves: What information did the officer have? What did he see? How much time did he have to assess the situation?" Pettus said. "And what would have happened if he had taken no action at all?"

https://wset.com/news/nation-world/l...police-officer

. LOS ANGELES (Bally Sports) — Anytime LeBron James is outspoken on social media, it catches nearly everyone's attention, especially when he speaks about social issues.

On Wednesday, James tweeted: "YOU'RE NEXT #ACCOUNTABILITY" with a photo of officer Nicholas Reardon, who has been identified as the man who shot and killed Ma'Khia Bryant, a 16-year-old Black girl in Columbus, Ohio.

The message from the Los Angeles Lakers star was meant to reassure Reardon that he would be held accountable for his actions like former Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin was in the death of George Floyd. People didn't take it that way, however.

James started to receive backlash and criticism from many, most notably from Senator Tom Cotton who claimed that James was "inciting violence."

The Lakers forward quickly recognized that his post was controversial and took it down, following up with two more tweets hours later.
    Huh how is protesting against a cop facing allegations of brutality inciting violence. Come on here Lebron is right in this case to say there is way more cases of brutality out there.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...umbus-n1265062

More protests are planned this weekend in the wake of the deadly shooting of a 16-year-old girl by police in Columbus, Ohio, another fatal police encounter roiling a city where allegations of police brutality and police shootings of Black children and men have bred public mistrust.

After the Biden administration announced this week it will open a civil rights investigation of the Minneapolis Police Department following the murder conviction against former police Officer Derek Chauvin in the death of George Floyd, some in Ohio's capital city are pleading for similar attention.

"Now that we're here and we've had a consistent decade of patterns and practices of ineptitude and racism, our call is for the Justice Department to investigate," Jasmine Ayres, a community organizer who was part of the mayor's working group to develop a police review board, said.

The death of Ma'Khia Bryant, a Black teenager who was shot by police Tuesday afternoon outside of a residence as they responded to a 911 call for a person with a knife, occurred just minutes before the Chauvin verdict was announced. Reports of the girl's death ricocheted across Columbus and the nation — President Joe Biden was even briefed — as some were praising the outcome in Minneapolis.

Debate over whether deadly force was necessary has now galvanized residents who had hoped the Columbus Division of Police would improve relations after Chief Thomas Quinlan stepped down in January amid multiple controversies.

"There's too much blood on this city's hands," said Hana Abdur-Rahim, a community organizer and activist who is suing Columbus police, alleging excessive force after she was pepper-sprayed by an officer during a 2017 protest. Abdur-Rahim said she agrees the Department of Justice should investigate the agency.

It's happened before.

In 1999, the Justice Department under the Clinton administration filed a police misconduct lawsuit against Columbus, alleging there was a pattern or practice of excessive force, false arrests and illegal searches and seizures. It followed an investigation by the department's Civil Rights Division in 1996 and sought to improve training of officers and investigate civilian complaints.

In 2002, the Justice Department reached an agreement with the city after it made changes in its policies and procedures, including for use of force.

But community activists say relations have worsened since then — and something is needed now. Over the past few years, the Columbus Division of Police has been the subject of multiple civil rights lawsuits. Data from a city-commissioned study on the police department showed that Black residents accounted for about half of all use-of-force incidents from 2015 to 2019, while only making up 28 percent of the city's population of 900,000, The Associated Press reported.

Since 2015, there have also been more than 30 people fatally shot by law enforcement in Columbus, with more than 20 of them Black, according to NBC affiliate WCMH. In five of the cases involving the Columbus Division of Police, those killed were younger than 18, data compiled by the database Mapping Police Violence show.

In December, two shootings of Black men — Casey Goodson, 23, and Andre Hill, 47 — led to public backlash and Mayor Andrew Ginther demoting the police chief, Quinlan, who had faced criticism over how police handled protesters during last year's racial justice demonstrations in downtown Columbus. The officer in Hill's death was indicted on a murder charge in February and has pleaded not guilty.

When asked if the mayor's office believes another federal review of the police department is necessary as activists have suggested, Ginther, who took office in 2016, said there has been "meaningful reform," including independent investigations of police-related deaths and the creation of a civilian review board. The review board will be able to investigate police use-of-force and misconduct allegations.

"Even with the many reforms in place, there is much work left to do to change the culture of the Division of Police and align police response with community expectations," Ginther said in a statement. "There is a deficit of trust in the community, and we are committed to restoring it to keep our neighborhoods safe."

Columbus police did not immediately respond to a request for comment about whether another federal review of the police department is necessary.

Ayres, however, said she's not confident the police will institute the recommendations the review board may suggest, although she said the community "will have access to city documents to build a case to the Department of Justice."

Ronal Serpas, a former police superintendent in New Orleans and police chief in Nashville, Tennessee, said that while civil rights pattern or practice investigations of police agencies dried up under the Trump administration, the Justice Department under Biden is signaling a change with its probe in Minneapolis.

"Citizens deserve constitutional policing," Serpas, now a criminology and justice professor at Loyola University New Orleans, said. "Police need to not be the government's first responder for mental health issues, homelessness and substance abuse."

For Bryant's family, they want to know why the only option appeared to be lethal force.

Bodycam video released by Columbus police from police Officer Nick Reardon shows him coming onto the scene of an altercation and drawing his weapon. Police have said the video shows someone trying to stab a person on the ground, as well as a second person.
    A person wearing a black T-shirt, later identified as Bryant, is seen with an object in her right hand that she raises toward a second person before Reardon fires four times. Officers attempted CPR on Bryant.

Police picked up what appeared to be a knife near the girl's body, and an officer could be heard on camera saying: "She had a knife. She just went at her."

It's unclear what preceded the altercation and who made calls to 911 that brought police to the scene in the city's southeast.

Reardon, a member of the department since 2019, was placed on leave while the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation handles the case. Department officials did not respond to further requests for comment, but interim Police Chief Michael Woods said at a news conference Wednesday that department policy allows officers to shoot if they believe a life is in imminent danger.

"It's a tragedy," Woods said. "There's no other way to say it. It's a 16-year-old girl."

Bryant was living in the foster care system. Family members described her as a "beautiful" and "sweet" girl who was trying to defend herself in the situation and questioned why police couldn't de-escalate first.

"I'm seriously asking the Columbus police department: What's going on?" Don Bryant, a cousin of the girl's mother, said. "I'm a supporter of our police, but what's going on here? What's going on that we have to be so trigger-happy these days?"

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/makhia-br...h-in-columbus/

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) — The funeral of Ma’Khia Bryant will be taking place on Friday at the First Church of God.

The church is in the 3000 block of Refugee Road.

Ma’Khia Bryant, the 16-year-old girl who was fatally shot by a Columbus police officer on Tuesday, April 20, was the 34th person to be shot and killed by law enforcement in Ohio’s capital city over the past six years.

Columbus police were called to a domestic disturbance late Tuesday afternoon on Legion Lane in east Columbus, where body camera footage shows Bryant in an altercation. When Bryant appears to try to stab another person, an officer shoots her four times.

That officer is no longer on street duty as the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation looks into the shooting.

Memorial forms for Ma’Khia Bryant
    The First Church of God is also where funeral services were held for Andre Hill.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...a-bryant-tweet

. BELLEVUE, Idaho — An Idaho officer is in the middle of controversy after posting a TikTok that has since gone viral.

In the video, the deputy with the Bellevue Marshal's Office mocks NBA star LeBron James for a recently-deleted tweet in regards to the fatal Columbus, Ohio Police shooting of 16-year-old Ma'Khia Bryant.

Deputy Nate Silvester pretends to be responding to a disturbance call where one man is stabbing another and "calls" James to see how he should respond to the situation.

“LeBron, 'hey, yeah, it’s me again. Listen, I got two guys fighting over here and one of them has got a knife and wants to stab the other guy. What do you think I should do? Why does it matter what their race is? Alright well, they’re both Black. OK, but he’s trying to stab the other guy. Deadly force is totally justified,” said Silvester.

Silvester has over 200,000 followers on the social media app with the controversial post accumulating 4.2 million views.

Much of the controversy surrounding the video stems from Silvester appearing in uniform while in his patrol car.

The Bellevue Marshal's Office says Silvester's statements do not represent the department, and this isn't how they expect their deputies to act on the city's time.

The Marshal's Office is addressing the matter internally.

This story was originally published by Alex Grant at the E.W. Scripps station KIVI.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...probe-n1265828

. Associated Press
    COLUMBUS, Ohio — While Ohio's capital city has made significant progress enacting changes to its police department, the city needs additional help because of “fierce opposition” to reform within the agency, city leaders said Wednesday as they requested a Justice Department investigation following a series of police killings of Black people and other controversies.

The request by Mayor Andrew Ginther and City Attorney Zach Klein — both Democrats — capped several painful months for the city, culminating most recently with the April 20 fatal shooting of 16-year-old Ma'Khia Bryant as she swung a knife at a woman. Bryant was Black and the rookie officer who shot her was white.

Criticism has included not just fatal police shootings but also the department's reaction to last summer's protests over racial injustice and police brutality following the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin. A report commissioned by the city council and released earlier this week criticized both the police department and city leaders, saying Columbus was unprepared for the size and energy of the protests.

“This is not about one particular officer, policy, or incident; rather, this is about reforming the entire institution of policing in Columbus," Ginther and Klein said in Wednesday's letter. "Simply put: We need to change the culture of the Columbus Division of Police.”

It’s not unusual for mayors or local law enforcement leaders to ask the Justice Department to review an agency’s record. Those requests sometimes are made when city officials anticipate a federal probe is looming regardless of their wishes.

When the Justice Department does launch such a review, city officials can do little to stop it, so they generally welcome the investigations, at least in public. The mayors of Minneapolis and Louisville, Kentucky, quickly endorsed the reviews the Justice Department recently announced of those cities’ police departments following the killings of Floyd and Breonna Taylor.

It's likely that the recent police killings in Columbus combined with the mayor's push for changes would make the city's request appealing to the Justice Department, said Ayesha Hardaway, a Case Western Reserve University criminal law professor.

I imagine that Columbus will be considered a good opportunity to make lasting change,” said Hardaway, who has worked with Cleveland's police department in the wake of Justice Department involvement after the 2014 shooting of 12-year-old Tamir Rice.

A message was left with the Justice Department seeking comment.

The request by Columbus leaders came the same day that the attorney representing the family of Bryant requested a federal investigation into her death and the state's foster care system.

Columbus remains an outlier among other American cities under Justice Department scrutiny, with multiple initiatives launched over the last few years to address complaints about the police department, pushed by Ginther and the city’s all-Democratic city council.

In 2016, shortly after Ginther took office, the city spent millions of dollars to buy police body cameras for the first time and is now in the process of spending millions more to upgrade them. The city recently created its first-ever civilian review board in a 2020 voter-approved measure pushed by Ginther and the city council.

Despite these efforts, “the City has been met with fierce opposition from leadership within the Columbus Division of Police,” Wednesday's letter said, which also suggested the Justice Department could use court-ordered measures to force the local police union to comply with changes.

Columbus officers “are always willing to work with any entity to improve policing in the communities they protect and serve,” Jeff Simpson, executive vice president of the local union, said in a statement. “Politicians constantly vilifying officers breeds contempt for authority, emboldens the criminal element and has led to a mass exodus of law enforcement officers from the profession.”

Even with its initiatives, Columbus — the country's 14th largest city — has recorded a number of contested police shootings.

The most recent cases include Bryant, the April 12 killing of 27-year-old Miles Jackson in a hospital ER room, and 47-year-old Andre Hill. The white police officer who fatally shot Hill Dec. 22 has pleaded not guilty to a number of charges made against him by the state's attorney general's office.

The case of Casey Goodson Jr., a 23-year-old Black man who was fatally shot by Franklin County Sheriff's deputy in early December in Columbus, has widened criticism of policing in the city to include the county sheriff's office.

In January, interim Columbus Chief Thomas Quinlan was forced out after Ginther said he’d lost confidence in the chief’s ability to make needed changes to the department.

Before the recent police shootings, the city was sued over the 2016 shooting of Henry Green, a Black man, by two undercover white police officers working in an anti-crime summer initiative.

Later in the same year, a white officer fatally shot 13-year-old Tyre King, who was Black, during a robbery investigation. In 2017, a video showed a Columbus officer restraining a Black man lying on the ground and preparing to handcuff him when an officer — Zachary Rosen — who was also involved in the Green shooting arrived and appeared to kick the man in the head.

The city fired Rosen, but an arbitrator ordered him reinstated, angering many in the community while underscoring the challenge that police union contracts can pose for cities trying to hold officers accountable.

Records show that Black residents, about 28 percent of the Columbus population, accounted for about half of all use-of-force incidents from 2015 through 2019.

The agency — like many big-city departments — is juggling calls for internal change even as it battles street violence. Columbus saw a record 174 homicides in 2020 and has recorded 62 so far this year, a figure not reached until early July of last year.

Federal involvement in the Columbus police department over allegations of officer misconduct isn’t new.

In 1999, the Justice Department sued the city, accusing officers of routinely violating people’s civil rights through illegal searches, false arrests and excessive force. A year later, the government added a racial profiling complaint, alleging that from 1994 to 1999, Black people in Columbus were almost three times as likely as whites to be the subject of traffic stops in which one or more tickets were issued.

A federal judge in 2002 dismissed the lawsuit after the city, which had fought it, made changes on the use of police force and handling of complaints against officers.

In Wednesday's letter, Ginther pledged to give the Justice Department the city's full cooperation if the agency agrees to take on the review.

“We want to be partners with the DOJ to bring about meaningful, sustainable and significant reforms,” he wrote. “Not only is the elected leadership in the City of Columbus aligned with this request, but the residents of Columbus unquestionably share the same goal.”

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/loca...stody-5-3-2021

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WSYX) — The death of a Columbus teenager shot and killed by police captured national headline and calls for several federal investigations.

It happened on April 20th when Columbus Police were called to a foster home on Legion Lane. Once arrived, Ma'Khia Bryant, 16, can be seen on police body camera with a knife in her hand and approaching another girl at the scene. Inches away with the knife up, officers opened fire and killed Bryant.

While Bryant’s family is calling on the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate, they also want the feds to look into Ohio’s foster care system citing policy and cultural issues.

The family said Ma’Khia moved to Legion Lane in February of this year. In March, her 15-year-old sister called 911 saying she had gotten into a fight and she didn’t want to live at the Legion Lane address anymore.

ABC 6/FOX 28 requested to look into Ma'Khia Bryant’s files within juvenile court where’s she’s the subject of nearly a dozen neglect and abuse cases.

WSYX

The court released judgments on the cases with heavy redaction and they do not indicate what was alleged or specifics decided. The documents do indicate Bryant was made a ward of the state or determined to have inadequate parental care four times since she was a toddler. Gaps in the timeline exist as to when Ma'Khia was returned to her family.

Records: Ma'Khia Bryant's sister sought help before shooting
    In February 2019, the courts determined Ma’Khia Bryant was neglected in the most recent case. Her mother, Paula Bryant, “emphatically denied all allegations of abuse.”

One year later, Paula Bryant contacted ABC 6 On Your Side with an email asking for help with her son. She wrote, “COVID-19 is spreading at St. Vincent Behavior Residential Program in Columbus, Ohio. My son has been quarantined and is unable to come home.”

Through her attorney, Paula Bryant told reporters last week that the foster care system has been too aggressive, Ma’Khia had been away from her for too long and she needs to be united with all of her kids.

Franklin County Children Services said it has removed all foster kids from the home on Legion Lane since Ma’Khia’s death but has said little else. In fact, an FCCS social worker called 911 two days after Ma’Khia Bryant’s death with trying to collect the other children's belongings.

“I’m coming to pick up the belongings of the children that lived in this home but there are media people outside,” she told the dispatcher. “I don’t know if the police can come and be an escort.”

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/le...a-620abe9ae771

CLEVELAND — LeBron James took to Twitter once again on Monday, this time to admit he took the wrong approach in a previous tweet involving the death of Ma'Khia Bryant, WKYC reports.

The 16-year-old girl was shot and killed by Columbus police officer Nicholas Reardon on April 20. Body camera footage shared by police shows the moment Reardon shot Bryant when she lunged at another woman with a knife.

The same day police identified Reardon, James tweeted "YOUR NEXT #ACCOUNTABILITY" with a photo of Reardon attached. The tweet was met with public backlash, and James deleted it within hours of posting.

"I fueled the wrong conversation about Ma’Khia Bryant and I owe it to her and this movement to change it," James said in another tweet on Monday.

James has come under fire since deleting his original tweet, with one Idaho police officer even mocking James in a TikTok that has since gone viral.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Good. I am glad the officer was cleared.

I didn’t remember how annoying JohnLanders was until I came to this thread. It is like he purposefully selected the longest articles he could find. Him and that Kambing person.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    I didn’t remember how annoying JohnLanders was until I came to this thread. It is like he purposefully selected the longest articles he could find. Him and that Kambing person.
    Who was absolutely NOT the same person as JL.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post

Honestly the long ass articles from landers almost had me quitting MDS altogether. Anytime I clicked a thread & saw a post from them I noped out

Quote Originally Posted by of_corpse_not View Post
    Honestly the long ass articles from landers almost had me quitting MDS altogether. Anytime I clicked a thread & saw a post from them I noped out
    Same.

Same.
    I just stopped reading what he posted and scrolled past everything to see people's responses. I looked up the case myself for updates rather than reading all the way through the novels.

Same.
    I just stopped reading what he posted and scrolled past everything to see people's responses. I looked up the case myself for updates rather than reading all the way through the novels.

This is what made me and Puzz decide it was time for him to go...plus him making threats.

This is what made me and Puzz decide it was time for him to go...plus him making threats.
    Yeah. He was what did we used to say? "he was harshing our mellow"

I don't have a problem with the occasional long article, obviously, but serial posting loooong articles over and over on every thread. ugh. And making threats.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Yeah. He was what did we used to say? "he was harshing our mellow"

I don't have a problem with the occasional long article, obviously, but serial posting loooong articles over and over on every thread. ugh. And making threats.
    Yes, 'harshing our mellow'! He just made MDS not a fun place to be. We tolerated it to some extent because there wasn't a lot being posted and he did make threads, but then it became a question of whether anything he posted was really worth posting.

Yes, 'harshing our mellow'! He just made MDS not a fun place to be. We tolerated it to some extent because there wasn't a lot being posted and he did make threads, but then it became a question of whether anything he posted was really worth posting.
    It was a shame that he couldn't get it down to quality over quantity because some of the stuff he posted was actually really great. It just ended up being a situation of having to mire through a shit ton of useless information and muck to finally get to it.

Thread Information